SS Ubers BURN - peaked #42, ft. Hone Claws Yveltal

burn.png

Peaked #42, 1603 Elo

:yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :eternatus: | :necrozma-dusk-mane: | :calyrex-shadow: | :Landorus-Therian:

Table of Contents
1. Introduction
2. Teambuilding Process
3. Team Description
4. Team Usage Tips
5. Threat List
6. Replays
7. Outro
8. Importable

1. Introduction
Offensive Yveltal is seen almost exclusively seen on Hyper Offense team structures as a check to Calyrex-Shadow and a fast Taunt user to deny defog, while more balanced builds typically rely on specially defensive Yveltal to avoid being swept by Calyrex. Because of this I thought it would be an interesting challenge to see if a viable balanced team could be made with offensive Yveltal. The core of the team is reasonably generic although it has a lot of individuality through highly teched out EV spreads. My goal I originally had in mind with this team was to hit at least the top 500 but I managed to climb into the top 50, so I decided to post a RMT to commemorate what is currently my best self-built team.
ubers#42.png

2. Teambuilding Process

:yveltal: | :fast-ball: | :master-ball: | :heavy-ball: | :moon-ball: | :level-ball:
I started off with offensive mixed Life Orb Yveltal set as I wanted to test in on a balanced build to see if I could make a viable team with it. The idea was that it could break past both specially defensive and physically defensive Eternatus, however this set was much better in my head and it was consistently disappointing in practice so I later changed it.
:yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :master-ball: | :heavy-ball: | :moon-ball: | :level-ball:
The next member added was Ho-oh as I needed a secondary Calyrex check due to not using defensive Yveltal, as well as a general defensive pivot and a defogger so that I could clear away hazards. Ho-oh accomplishes all of this as well as spreading status to enable its teammates, while also not being too passive because of its base 130 Attack.
:yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :eternatus: | :heavy-ball: | :moon-ball: | :level-ball:
My team was still weak to some special attackers, notably Choice Specs Kyogre, so Eternatus was added primarily for this reason. Eternatus also checks Marshadow which could run through the team with Low Kick and Rock Tomb. Lastly Eternatus checks some physical attackers that Ho-oh cant such as Dracovish.
:yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :eternatus: | :necrozma-dusk-mane: | :moon-ball: | :level-ball:
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane completes the Yveltal-Eternatus-Necrozma core which is a staple of the ubers tier. It checks both strong special and physical attackers such as Xerneas and Calyrex-Ice, two threats that my team was still weak to, as well as providing speed control through Thunder Wave and the ability to set Stealth Rocks.
:yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :eternatus: | :necrozma-dusk-mane: | :calyrex-shadow: | :level-ball:
I was still concerned about potential difficulties versus Hyper Offense teams so I added Choice Scarf Calyrex-Shadow. While far from its best set I felt it suited the team by adding a more reliant form of speed control than Thunder Wave.
:yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :eternatus: | :necrozma-dusk-mane: | :calyrex-shadow: | :Landorus-Therian:
Initially I had physically defensive Groudon in this slot although it proved to be an awkward fit. My team was relying on Groudon to check opposing Groudon which was not ideal, and it was also a massive momentum sink letting in Kyogre and Zygarde too easily. Lastly its bulk was ultimately underwhelming and it was quickly worn down over a game. Because of these reasons I switched it out for Landorus-Therian which was noticeably bulkier with Intimidate and was able to maintain momentum with U-Turn while also providing a slightly better check to opposing groudon.

3. Team Description

yveltal.png

CursedSinceBirth (Yveltal) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 160 Atk / 164 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat
- Sucker Punch

Role: Yveltal is a win condition for this team as both a breaker and a cleaner. It also serves as a check to Calyrex-Shadow, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Marshadow (If it doesn't have Low Kick), Dracovish (with sucker punch), and in some niche scenarios Xerneas (by knocking off its Power Herb)
Moveset: Hone Claws is chosen as its Yveltals only boosting move so while its not the best its good enough for what I was trying to accomplish. It lets Yveltal boost past physically defensive mons that it would otherwise be unable to break. The boost in accuracy is also useful for making Dual Wingbeat more consistent as it removes its chance to miss. Knock Off is Yveltals primary STAB attack dealing massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it as well as providing valuable utility by removing Heavy-Duty Boots and recovery items such as Leftovers and Black Sludge. Dual Wingbeat is used in order to not be completely walled by dark resists such as Xerneas, Urshifu-Single-Strike, and opposing Yveltal. Sucker Punch makes up for Yveltals lackluster base 99 speed, giving it a way to play around Hyper Offense and faster threats that would try and revenge kill such as Darmanitan-Galar or Marshadow
Item: I experimented with a number of different items such as Life Orb and Black Glasses but it was difficult to get Yveltal in without too much damage from hazards, especially considering that by using offensive Yveltal I lose access to the best defogger in the tier. I chose to go with Heavy-Duty Boots to help its longevity and make it harder to revenge kill
EVs: 184+ Speed is enough to get ahead of Timid base 90s like Kyogre and Zekrom as well as outspeed bulky Geomancy Xerneas. 164 Special Defence help Yveltal act as an emergency Calyrex check by letting it live 2 Modest Specs Astral Barrages. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack to maximize its damage output
252+ SpA Choice Specs Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 0 HP / 164 SpD Yveltal: 166-196 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 160 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan-Galar: 348-409 (99.1 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed after Stealth Rocks or Recoil damage)

160 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dracovish: 144-169 (44.8 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

160 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dracovish: 144-169 (44.8 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (85 BP) vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Yveltal: 277-327 (69.7 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(even if it outspeeds with Choice Band under Trick Room it misses the OHKO and gets 2HKOed by Sucker Punch)

+1 160 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Groudon: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 160 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyogre: 231-273 (57.1 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ho oh.png

BurnBurnBurnBurn (Ho-Oh) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 80 HP / 248 Def / 164 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird

Role: Ho-oh provides some of the best role compression in Ubers, its a defogger, spread status with Sacred Fire and Thunder Wave, is a great pivot with its access to Regenerator, and serves as both a physical and special sponge. Ho-oh checks Calyrex-Shadow/Ice, Weavile, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Eternatus, Marshadow (If it doesn't have Rock Tomb), Darmanitan-Galar (If it locks into the wrong move), and loosely checks Groudon in an emergency
Moveset: Defog is necessary to provide the team with hazard removal to not lose to spikestack teams or games that require a lot of switching. Thunder Wave is necessary for Ho-oh to be able to effectively check Calyrex-Shadow and Eternatus as well as providing a form of speed control for the team. Sacred Fire is its main STAB dealing large amounts of damage and abusing an insane 50% chance to burn to shut down physical attackers and cheese through Focus Sash spam Hyper Offense. Brave Bird is needed as a secondary attack due to Sacred Fires low PP. It also hits fire resists like Eternatus and Kyogre for decent amounts of damage, punishing them for attempting to switch in
Item: Heavy-Duty Boots is nearly the only item Ho-oh can use. While it may like the benefits of other items, its 4x Rock weaknesses prevents it from impacting a game as much as it would like to, especially considering it will often be switching in after Stealth Rocks have gone up given that its the teams method of hazard removal
EVs: 16 Speed EVs let Ho-oh out speed 252+ Speed paralyzed Calyrex-Shadow and 2HKO it, 80 HP and 248+ Defense guarantees that +2 252+ Weavile does not OHKO with Triple Axel. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defense so that it can take hits from special attackers slightly better.
252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 80 HP / 164 SpD Ho-Oh: 144-171 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 80 HP / 164 SpD Ho-Oh: 159-187 (42.6 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Groudon Stone Edge vs. 80 HP / 248+ Def Ho-Oh: 316-376 (84.7 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 80 HP / 248+ Def Ho-Oh: 315-372 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- approx. 2HKO

eternatus.png

Percocet (Eternatus) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpD / 92 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dynamax Cannon
- Mystical Fire
- Toxic
- Recover

Role: Eternatus is another special wall for the team checking powerful threats such as Kyogre, as well as physical attackers like Marshadow and Dracovish. Eternatus is also able to spread status through toxic and PP stall passive pokemon
Moveset: Dynamax Cannon is Eternatus' most powerful STAB move giving it a way yo deal large amounts of damage and avoid becoming too passive. Mystical Fire is necessary largely for its ability to indirectly boost Eternatus' special bulk, allowing it to shut down a wider range of special attackers much easier. Toxic is chosen for a consistent way to spread status and force Calm Mind Kyogre to rest, allowing a free switch to Calyrex or Yveltal. Lastly Recover is needed to keep Eternatus healthy throughout the course of the game and stops it being chipped down too quickly.
Item: Heavy-Duty Boots are the item of choice. While Black Sludge is also viable to provide passive healing, Boots let Eternatus switch in without caring about Stealth Rocks which is necessary against Choice Specs Kyogre. Heavy-Duty Boots also negate Sticky Webs which gives the team a form of speed control against these types of Hyper Offense
EVs: The Speed EVs are to be faster than Adamant Marshadow so that you can revenge kill with Dynamax Cannon. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defence and then HP to maximise special bulk so that ETernatus can better check Kyogre.
252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 164 HP / 252 SpD Eternatus: 192-226 (41.5 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 214-253 (46.3 - 54.7%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 142-169 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- 64% chance to 3HKO (Eternatus will always live Spectral Thief into Shadow Sneak

0 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Marshadow: 162-192 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 164 HP / 252 SpD Eternatus in Rain: 275-324 (59.5 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

NDM.png

MoneyAintTheAnswer (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Morning Sun
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake

Role: NDM was added as a necessary Xerneas check as well as a general mixed wall in order to check a variety of threats such as Zekrom, NDM, and Eternatus. Necrozma also spreads status through Thunder Wave to give the team more speed
Moveset: Thunder Wave is a great move for shutting down Eternatus, Marshadow, Ho-oh and other pokemon that would likely switch into Necrozma, which allows it to either beat them 1v1 or set up its team mates so that they can do their jobs easier. Morning sun is vital to keeping Necrozma-Dusk-Mane healthy throughout the game, especially considering that it doesn't hold leftovers. Sunsteel strike is steel STAB so that it can KO Xerneas and deal decent damage to neutral targets. Earthquake was picked over stealth rocks in order to hit Zekrom and Eternatus harder as otherwise Necrozma was forced to switch out, giving up a lot of momentum
Item: Leftovers are also a viable option here, although Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers such as Weavile clicking Triple Axel or Darmanitan-Galar clicking U-Turn. This is valuable for the team as it slowly accrues chip damage on your opponents, likely putting them into Sucker Punch range
EVs: 144+ Special Defence lets Necrozma-Dusk-Mane always survive 2 Moonblasts from Geomancy Xerneas after rocks, forcing them to go for an inaccurate move such as Thunder or Focus Blast. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense to let it also act as a physical wall
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 168-198 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 229-271 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 267-315 (67 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 230-270 (57.7 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 182-216 (53.3 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

caly.png

WhatsReality? (Calyrex-Shadow) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Astral Barrage
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

Role: Calyrex acts as a sweeper once opposing checks are weakened enough, as well as a breaker with Trick + Nasty Plot, and most importantly an anti-hyper offense measure and speed control, which also allows it to check opposing non-scarf Calyrex-Shadow and Eternatus
Moveset: Astral barrage is the essential STAB move with 120bp its incredibly difficult to switch into, which means the opponent is put under a lot of pressure. Psyshock is also used as a STAB move with the benefit of hitting Eternatus super effectively and breaking through special walls like Blissey and specially defensive Ho-oh. Trick removes the requirement for Caly to be prediction reliant and also can cripple an opposing pokemon, however this comes at the cost of reduced speed which can make it easier to revenge kill. Nasty Plot is the final move as it allows Calyrex to boost past its checks such as a weakened Yveltal and secure a sweep sooner. If a free turn can be found to boost up then often it is game over from there
Item: Choice Scarf was chosen as speed control against Sticky Webs, normal Hyper Offense, and balanced teams. It lets Calyrex revenge kill set up sweepers such as Rayquaza and Zekrom as well as opposing scarfers.
EVs: Max Speed so that against Sticky Webs you'll at least speed tie the opposing Calyrex, and max Special Attack in order to ensure maximum damage and therefore reduce the amount of chip necessary before a sweep
252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Psyshock vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 326-386 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyogre: 169-201 (49.5 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zekrom: 234-276 (68.6 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rayquaza: 256-303 (72.9 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

lando.png

ReachSomeNewHighs (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Def / 16 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Role: Landorus is a bulky pivot, a Stealth Rock setter, a physically defensive sponge, and a check to Ho-oh, Groudon, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Eternatus, and other physical attackers lacking a super effective move
Moveset: Stealth Rocks are essentially mandatory on any competitive team, and this one is no different. Rocks are needed to slowly chip down your opponent and punish them for switching too much. U-Turn is a great move to get Yveltal or Calyrex in without taking any damage which lets them take a hit later when you need them to. It also maintains momentum and forces your opponent to make risky plays in order to get the momentum back. Earthquake and Stone Edge complete the infamous EdgeQuake combo which hits almost everything for either super effective or neutral damage. This means that slower teams, or those that have been paralysed, have a lot of trouble dealing with Landorus' attacks.
Item: Leftovers are Landorus-Therians only form of recovery which makes them essential. They negate a proportion of Stealth Rock damage as well as resisted attackes which it will be commonly switching in to
EVs: The EV spread is a bit jank but it works. 12 Speed is to get ahead of Groudon and Ho-oh which run 16 Speed to creep paralysed Calyrex-Shadow. 204 HP and 16 Special Defense ensures Landorus lives a +1 Dynamax Cannon from Meteor Beam Eternatus, allowing it to act as a check. 24 Attack EVs are to 2HKO bulky Dragon Dance Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, and the rest of the EVs are put into Defence and then HP to get the most physical bulk possible
24 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 186-220 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 204 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 160-189 (43.2 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Groudon Stone Edge vs. 204 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 134-159 (36.2 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 192+ Atk Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 204 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 108-127 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO

24 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 208+ Def Ho-Oh: 324-384 (78 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 204 HP / 16 SpD Landorus-Therian: 313-369 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

24 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 318-374 (68.8 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4. Team Usage Tips
1. Know what the ev spreads do so that you can game plan in advance and know how often you can switch in and what pokemon need to be conserved for later
2. Don't click sacred fire if your opponent is likely to go to Eternatus as this will prevent you from being able to paralyze it later which will make it more difficult to break through
3. Abuse sacred fire against Focus Sash spam Hyper Offense. Burn will deal the last bit of damage letting you cheese past Weavile and other frail setup sweepers
4. Xerneas + Darmanitan-Galar + Magnezone teams typically lead Darmanitan and U-Turn into Magnezone on the Necrozma-Dusk-Mane switch. Anti lead with NDM and switch hard into ho oh on the U-Turn. These teams typically lack electric immunity barring Magnezone which wont switch in for fear of Sacred Fire. This means you can often get a free Thunder Wave off on Xerneas, Eternatus, or Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
5. Against bulky offense spread status in order to cripple opposing defensive cores so that its easier for Yveltal to Hone Claws and sweep
6. Learn how to use trick effectively. If its likely that they have Calm Mind Kyogre or Coil / Dragon Dance Zygarde, then save Trick for these as its the easiest way to stop them setting up
7. Choice Specs Calyrex and Kyogre are incredily difficult to switch into and require offensive counterplay, because of this you need to make appropriate reads and double to Yveltal or Eternatus in order to force them back out
8. Yveltal is the best countermeasure against all forms of Hyper Offense (Including Trick Room) due to Sucker Punch's priority. Make use of this against Specs Kyogre with Sticky Webs or Trick Room support to weaken Water Spout, and against Dracovish to make it move second, halving its damage
9. Have fun :)

5. Threat List
Kyogre

Specs Kyogre is incredibly difficult to switch into and often requires offensive counterplay. Anti-leading kyogre with Eternatus is usually a safe play. If Yveltal is in vs Kyogre Sucker Punch on the Water Spout to reduce its damage output, however if you are sure its Choice Specs and not Choice Scarf then you can knock of instead. Block Calm Mind Kyogre uses Eternatus as set up fodder and destroys offensive cores, double into Yveltal or Trick with Calyrex in order to stop it

Zygarde
Both Dragon Dance and Coil Zygarde are incredibly annoying to deal with. They glare and then click substitute until they get enough full paras to set up and sweep. Best counterplay is to Knock Off leftovers, deal damage or status to force the rest, and then switch into Calyrex and either Trick or Nasty Plot to force it back out

Calyrex-Shadow
Calyrex-Shadow is surprisingly the least threatening of the 3, although with proper support (particularly VoltTurn members such as U-Turn Yveltal) gives it too many chances to switch in. While this team is capable of holding of Calyrex until it can eventually win, over the course of a longer game where Calyrex hits the field multiple times the damage can add up to quickly and it can spiral out of control with As One

6. Replays
Some replays taken from my alt during testing to showcase how the team is played against different styles of teams

:yveltal::ho-oh::eternatus::necrozma-dusk-mane::calyrex-shadow::Landorus-Therian: Vs. :excadrill::eternatus::xerneas::yveltal::necrozma-dusk-mane::marshadow:

:yveltal::ho-oh::eternatus::necrozma-dusk-mane::calyrex-shadow::Landorus-Therian: Vs. :zygarde::necrozma-dusk-mane::yveltal::eternatus::calyrex-shadow::darmanitan-galar:

:yveltal::ho-oh::eternatus::necrozma-dusk-mane::calyrex-shadow::Landorus-Therian: Vs. :calyrex-shadow::yveltal::weavile::necrozma-dusk-mane::zekrom::aerodactyl:

:yveltal::ho-oh::eternatus::necrozma-dusk-mane::calyrex-shadow::Landorus-Therian: Vs. :yveltal::magnezone::darmanitan-galar::eternatus::xerneas::necrozma-dusk-mane:

:yveltal::ho-oh::eternatus::necrozma-dusk-mane::calyrex-shadow::Landorus-Therian: Vs. :excadrill::eternatus::xerneas::yveltal::necrozma-dusk-mane::marshadow:

:yveltal::ho-oh::eternatus::necrozma-dusk-mane::calyrex-shadow::Landorus-Therian: Vs. :porygon2::calyrex-ice::dracovish::kyogre::tyranitar::hatterene:

7. Outro
Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed, and as always any suggestions to improve the team are always greatly appreciated. This team got me reasonable success on ladder and won me a decent amount of games, even if its lost me a few too. so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do or become inspired to create your own team with offensive Yveltal or other under explored sets. The EVs took a lot of time but I always find them heaps of fun to do. Also had to make a lot of edits to this cause I accidently posted it before it was finished :facepalm: so let me know if you see any mistakes and I can hopefully fix them. Hope you all have a great day!

8. Importable
With cool nicknames:psyglad:: :yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :eternatus: | :necrozma-dusk-mane: | :calyrex-shadow: | :Landorus-Therian:
No nicknames:psysad:: :yveltal: | :ho-oh: | :eternatus: | :necrozma-dusk-mane: | :calyrex-shadow: | :Landorus-Therian:

Last edited:
16 Speed EVs let Ho-oh out speed 252+ Speed Calyrex-Shadow
love this lol
But love your team report: very detailed and cool.
I always liked the idea of an offensive Yveltal, but thought it might be too hard to actually use most of the time.

Reactions: Tal

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
This is my first rate, I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

Overall, I like the team structure, Ho-Oh + Calyrex + Landorus-T is a good core alongside the classic YEN. I also really like offensive Yveltal outside of hyper offensive teams, it is deadly when it is given the momentum it needs. I think this 6 has all the tool a great team needs to have, and can win on paper all matchups, but as it is right now I think it can definitely be changed.

Okay, starting with the edgy bird, I'd change its set quite a bit; see, while you have Ho-Oh & Eternatus as a backup, you are lacking a true switch-in to Choice Specs Calyrex-S, which is at the moment the most popular set in tournaments for its incredible breaking ability, which in the state forces you to switch on Ho-Oh to scout for its move and then on Yveltal, and both are severely damage (you avoid a 2HKO on Yveltal, but not on Ho-Oh, which forces you to switch, and you can't really hard Eternatus on Calyrex-S, because it is OHKO by Psyshock.). Keeping the idea of an offensive set, I'd change the set like this:

CursedSinceBirth (Yveltal) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Black Glasses
EVs: 160 Atk / 164 SpD / 184 Spe OR 188 Atk / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Sucker Punch​

Roost gives you a way better time against the likes of defensive Zygarde, defensive Necrozma-DM, Calyrex-S and non offensive Eternatus once it has been paralyzed. Taunt is also a great tool that cripples these mons and let you win your duels against them one on one. You lose the potential of finishing Xerneas with Dual Wingbeats, but it comes with an overall improved matchup against most threats in the tier compared to your previous set. Since you are only using Dark-types moves on this set, Black Glasses are a great option that improves your output damages without the recoil cost of a Life Orb, for example. Outspeeding base 90 Speed is a key Speed tier, but you can also choose to maximize your Speed, thus it lets you tie with an opposing fast Yveltal and potentially win your duel with the combination of Taunt, Roost, and Knock Off. I read you have been troubling with chip damages when you were playing the Black Glasses, so it's up to your choice!

Using Ho-Oh as your sole defogger is acceptable since your are using an offensive Yveltal set, and I appreciate the Defense investment you put on it. It has a definitely good place here, since para spreading is exactly what an offensive Yveltal wants to wipe out entire teams. (and I also appreciate the 16 EVs in Speed you put on it). There isn't much to say, you are using a secondary Geomancy Xerneas check which is definitely what physically defensive Ho-Oh needs. Be aware of Choice Band Weavile though, you don't seem to worry about it in your post but it easily 2HKO any of your team member with Beat Up, Knock Off, or Triple Axel.

This is a good set a Eternatus, but there is just a small thing i'd change on it. See, Mystical Fire has in my opinion not so much utility in your team composition. Since it has a reduced base power and no burn change, it has almost no utility against Necrozma-DM, and its utility against special attackers is really limited to specially offensive Yveltal, which is heavily crippled by Toxic anyway and can't win its duel without heavy prediction (especially, Taunt on the switch). I'd play Dragon Tail instead, which is a way better move to deal with mono-attacking variants of Kyogre overall, and basically win its duel as long as it doesn't run Ice Beam or Substitute + Thunder Wave. It also greatly improves your matchup against Block + Salac Berry Kyogre, which can 6-0 your team right now. It's also good to rack up some damages on the opposing Yveltal once you have Knock its Heavy-Duty Boots Off. Finally, be aware of Jolly Marshadow, nowadays most Marshadow are played like this and will 2HKO you with a boosted Spectral Thief.
+1 252 Atk Spell Tag Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 268-316 (58 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Timid Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Recover

I think some things can be improved on that metallic lion. First things first: I do feel that Rocky Helmet is suboptimal on Necrozma-DM, especially if you don't run a max physically defensive set. The passive recovery you lose is a real problem, as Necrozma-DM has to deal with a LOT of different threat in the tier, including Eternatus, Xerneas, and sometimes even against Yveltal. All of that means that Necrozma-DM can be easily chipped, so you really really want to let it have as much health as possible everytime it comes in and has to leave the field without its full HP. Finally, as you have mentionned it, the hyper offense matchup is probably the hardest one with this team, and you especially need a plan against Power Herb Meteor Beam Eternatus, which in state can easily disrupt your defensive backbone.

MoneyAintTheAnswer (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 72 Def / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Morning Sun
- Iron Head
- Earthquake​

The given Speed investment lets you outspeed a paralyzed base 130 Speed foe. I also changed Sunsteel Strike for Iron Head; given that this is a defensive set, Sunsteel Strike has no real utility besides a not really necessary increased power compare to Iron Head and the ability to beat Shedinja, but it comes with the crucial drawback of a very low PP amount, which is a real problem if you are facing defensive variants of Xerneas and Eternatus. This given EV spread also lets you live +2 Thunder followed by Moonblast from full thanks to Leftovers recovery. Rest is put in Defense and makes your Necrozma-DM a useful Zekrom secondary check. Be aware of Life Orb Eternatus, while it's rare it can 2HKO Necrozma-DM with a sun-boosted Flamethrower, even with the Leftovers recovery.
252 SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 176 HP / 228+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Sun: 214-253 (56.4 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Given your weakness to hyper offense, Choice Scarf Calyrex-S is crucial in your team. My only modification would be to shift Nasty Plot for Aromatherapy, it offers you a lot more utility, and is never situational given how status war is important in the tier. And don't be afraid of losing a potential wallbreaker, since you can count on your Yveltal to blow some holes in the opposing team.

Timid Nature
- Trick
- Astral Barrage
- Psyshock
- Aromatherapy

Landorus-T as a Rock setter is good, but you need to play cautiously with it. Especially as it serves as your premier Zekrom switch-in, but this one can give you a rough time if you are facing a MixZek set that uses Draco Meteor. Also be aware of Bulk Up Marshadow, which can easily use Landorus-T as a setup fodder on the switch.

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Toxic

I slashed Toxic as your team lacks a true way to threaten Groudon, while it can be extremely dangerous with its Swords Dance set. Landorus-T is also a way safer choice to cripple it compare to Ho-Oh's burn, since it takes neutral damage from Stone Edge, and is immune to Thunder Wave. Stone Edge is still great to get some immediate damages on the Flying-types. I also slashed Knock Off, as it is extremely useful to get a surprise Heavy-Duty Boots off on the aforementioned Flying-types if you run Toxic, thus you can cripple them even more with Stealth Rock damages, and it's also really good to get rid of Groudon's Leftovers's passive recovery and offers you a surprise OHKO on an unaware Calyrex-S switch.

My final version:

(click on the sprite to get the paste!)

Finally, I can list some threats that you'll need to be ready to fight:

Choice Banders

This is by far the most important threat against your team; While they can be revenge killed by Calyrex-S if they are locked on a non-priority move (Weavile needs some chip damage though, as it is only 2HKO by Astral Barrage), Choice Band Weavile and Marshadow, especially their Jolly variant, are extremely deadly against your team, as none of your mons can easily switch in on their moves. In particular, Weavile can 2HKO Yveltal with a strong enough Aura-boosted Beat Up, and will deal a ton to Necrozma-DM and Ho-Oh too.

Substitute + Thunder Wave + Calm Mind Kyogre

This is a pretty rare set, but it can easily disrupt your entire team, since it runs enough Speed to outspeed your defensive Ho-Oh variant, and thanks to Thunder Wave, it can cripple Eternatus on the switch, and forces an advantageous 50/50 with Substitute and Calm Mind, as you have a chance to be fully paralyzed. Your gameplan against it is to scout with Eternatus and play around Yveltal and Calyrex-S, as this set has a lessen bulk and will usually run Surf for a better damage output, meaning that Yveltal cannot be burned if it comes on an predicted attacking move.

Mixed Attackers

Since your physical walls are Ho-Oh and Landorus-T, you need to play cautiously against these two dragons. They usually use Draco Meteor alongside a Life Orb, which will damage severely Landorus-T, and their STAB moves will be extremely difficult to handle for the rest of your teams. In particular, Scale Shot increases their Speed, meaning they will outspeed Eternatus. They are slower than Calyrex-S even at +2 and are easy to revenge kill this way, but they can open massives holes for their teammates (such as Groudon and Kyogre), and so you'll often be forced into a disadvantageous 50/50 against these two ones.

I hope my rate was useful :psyglad:

Last edited:
Thank you for the rate!

Okay, starting with the edgy bird, I'd change its set quite a bit; see, while you have Ho-Oh & Eternatus as a backup, you are lacking a true switch-in to Choice Specs Calyrex-S, which is at the moment the most popular set in tournaments for its incredible breaking ability, which in the state forces you to switch on Ho-Oh to scout for its move and then on Yveltal, and both are severely damage (you avoid a 2HKO on Yveltal, but not on Ho-Oh, which forces you to switch, and you can't really hard Eternatus on Calyrex-S, because it is OHKO by Psyshock.). Keeping the idea of an offensive set, I'd change the set like this:

CursedSinceBirth (Yveltal) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Black Glasses
EVs: 160 Atk / 164 SpD / 184 Spe OR 188 Atk / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Sucker Punch​

Roost gives you a way better time against the likes of defensive Zygarde, defensive Necrozma-DM, Calyrex-S and non offensive Eternatus once it has been paralyzed. Taunt is also a great tool that cripples these mons and let you win your duels against them one on one. You lose the potential of finishing Xerneas with Dual Wingbeats, but it comes with an overall improved matchup against most threats in the tier compared to your previous set. Since you are only using Dark-types moves on this set, Black Glasses are a great option that improves your output damages without the recoil cost of a Life Orb, for example. Outspeeding base 90 Speed is a key Speed tier, but you can also choose to maximize your Speed, thus it lets you tie with an opposing fast Yveltal and potentially win your duel with the combination of Taunt, Roost, and Knock Off. I read you have been troubling with chip damages when you were playing the Black Glasses, so it's up to your choice!
I feel that Roost is a good choice for better dealing with Calyrex and having more defensive utility in general. IMO Yveltal has a lot of 4MSS because its movepool is so good that you're always missing something good regardless of what you choose. I initially stuck with Dual Wingbeat because it let Yveltal hit Xerneas, but with a more specially defensive NDM spread this change is definitely beneficial
I think I'll stick with HDB because 25% from rocks when its hard to keep them off vs HO is tough to stomach, but I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless :psyglad:

This is a good set a Eternatus, but there is just a small thing i'd change on it. See, Mystical Fire has in my opinion not so much utility in your team composition. Since it has a reduced base power and no burn change, it has almost no utility against Necrozma-DM, and its utility against special attackers is really limited to specially offensive Yveltal, which is heavily crippled by Toxic anyway and can't win its duel without heavy prediction (especially, Taunt on the switch). I'd play Dragon Tail instead, which is a way better move to deal with mono-attacking variants of Kyogre overall, and basically win its duel as long as it doesn't run Ice Beam of Substitute + Thunder Wave. It also greatly improves your matchup against Block + Salac Berry Kyogre, which can 6-0 your team right now. It's also good to rack up some damages on the opposing Yveltal once you have Knock its Heavy-Duty Boots Off. Finally, be aware of Jolly Marshadow, nowadays most Marshadow are played like this and will 2HKO you with a boosted Spectral Thief.
+1 252 Atk Spell Tag Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 268-316 (58 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Timid Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Recover

Small change but definitely significant, Mystical Fire was mostly a throw in move that had some use but wasn't extremely important. Dragon Tail addresses a large threat in Block Kyogre so I appreciate this one a lot

I think some things can be improved on that metallic lion. First things first: I do feel that Rocky Helmet is suboptimal on Necrozma-DM, especially if you don't run a max physically defensive set. The passive recovery you lose is a real problem, as Necrozma-DM has to deal with a LOT of different threat in the tier, including Eternatus, Xerneas, and sometimes even against Yveltal. All of that means that Necrozma-DM can be easily chipped, so you really really want to let it have as much health as possible everytime it comes in and has to leave the field without its full HP. Finally, as you have mentionned it, the hyper offense matchup is probably the hardest one with this team, and you especially need a plan against Power Herb Meteor Beam Eternatus, which in state can easily disrupt your defensive backbone.
MoneyAintTheAnswer (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 72 Def / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Morning Sun
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
The given Speed investment lets you outspeed a paralyzed base 130 Speed foe. I also changed Sunsteel Strike for Iron Head; given that this is a defensive set, Sunsteel Strike has no real utility besides a not really necessary increased power compare to Iron Head and the ability to beat Shedinja, but it comes with the crucial drawback of a very low PP amount, which is a real problem if you are facing defensive variants of Xerneas and Eternatus. This given EV spread also lets you live +2 Thunder followed by Moonblast from full thanks to Leftovers recovery. Rest is put in Defense and makes your Necrozma-DM a useful Zekrom secondary check. Be aware of Life Orb Eternatus, while it's rare it can 2HKO Necrozma-DM with a sun-boosted Flamethrower, even with the Leftovers recovery.
252 SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 176 HP / 228+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Sun: 214-253 (56.4 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I like this EV spread a lot, it seems to check Xerneas and Eternatus much more consistently. You raise a good point about Sunsteel Strikes PP, I mainly had it to KO bulky Geomancy Xerneas with less chip damage but Iron Head will have more utility against paralysed and bulkier foes with its flinch chance and higher PP.
Rocky Helmet was a niche option that slightly improved the Weavile/Darmanitan match ups, but maybe thats a bit too niche of a reason to use it over leftovers

Given your weakness to hyper offense, Choice Scarf Calyrex-S is crucial in your team. My only modification would be to shift Nasty Plot for Aromatherapy, it offers you a lot more utility, and is never situational given how status war is important in the tier. And don't be afraid of losing a potential wallbreaker, since you can count on your Yveltal to blow some holes in the opposing team.

Timid Nature
- Trick
- Astral Barrage
- Psyshock
- Aromatherapy

In my first draft of the team I actually had Aromatherapy, but maybe I gave up on it too soon so I'll have to test it out some more

Landorus-T as a Rock setter is good, but you need to play cautiously with it. Especially as it serves as your premier Zekrom switch-in, but this one can give you a rough time if you are facing a MixZek set that uses Draco Meteor. Also be aware of Bulk Up Marshadow, which can easily use Landorus-T as a setup fodder on the switch.

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Toxic

I slashed Toxic as your team lacks a true way to threaten Groudon, while it can be extremely dangerous with its Swords Dance set. Landorus-T is also a way safer choice to cripple it compare to Ho-Oh's burn, since it takes neutral damage from Stone Edge, and is immune to Thunder Wave. Stone Edge is still great to get some immediate damages on the Flying-types. I also slashed Knock Off, as it is extremely useful to get a surprise Heavy-Duty Boots off on the aforementioned Flying-types if you run Toxic, thus you can cripple them even more with Stealth Rock damages, and it's also really good to get rid of Groudon's Leftovers's passive recovery and offers you a surprise OHKO on an unaware Calyrex-S switch.

Both Knock Off and Toxic are great alternative moves so I guess it really depends on the match up. I'd probably switch this around when I need to counterteam somebody on ladder

Thanks again for the detailed rate and suggestions, they all look like really good improvements on the team

love this lol
But love your team report: very detailed and cool.
I always liked the idea of an offensive Yveltal, but thought it might be too hard to actually use most of the time.
haha thank you
The biggest problem with offensive Yveltal is that it means you cant run defensive Yveltal, so you could definitely build a better and easier to use team with a defensive set, but with good play and some luck you can make anything work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)