move 2: Substitute
move 3: Hurricane
move 4: Sleep Powder
Item: Leftovers / Heavy-Duty-Boots
Ability: Compound Eyes
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Butterfree’s access to near perfect accuracy Sleep Powder to compliment Quiver Dance make it quite the offensive threat. Although Butterfree’s average Speed and mediocre Special Attack makes Frosmoth seem like a better option in comparison, Butterfree does have a few tricks up its sleeve. Butterfree’s Compound Eyes ability makes Sleep Powder and Hurricane far more threatening with very low chances of missing. A substitute can be setup while your opponent is put to sleep to help Butterfree with the extra layer of protection, allowing it to Quiver Dance safely. Butterfree can become very threatening, very quickly with this combination of almost guaranteed sleep for the opponent and access to Quiver Dance. While Butterfree’s 4x weakness to stealth rock makes Heavy Duty Boots seem like the much better item choice, leftovers can make Butterfree much more consistent if your team has reliable hazard removal and prevention.

Butterfree is most effective late game, where a lot of the opposing team is weak, and it can come in and Quiver Dance to win. Slower, harder hitting Pokemon like Kingler, Centiscorch, and Life Orb Alcremie appreciate Butterfree’s Sleep Powder, allowing them to safely come in on opposing sleeping Pokemon. Butterfree appreciates the damage dealt by its teammates making it much easier to KO bulky Pokemon such as Garbodor, Wishiwashi, and Ferroseed. Butterfree is very defensively frail, so fast offensive Pokemon like Rotom, Sawk, and Lycanroc can be a huge issue for Butterfree. Butterfree appreciates bulky teammates like Garbodor, Throh, and Uxie which can come in on opposing attacks, primarily priority attacks which Butterfree is very weak to. When using Leftovers, teammates with the ability to remove hazards like Altaria, Cramorant, and Sandslash are needed in order to make sure butterfree can get onto the field. Entry hazards set by Pokemon like Rhydon, Qwilfish, and Miltank can do a great job at wearing down opposing Pokemon for Butterfree, making the sweep far easier for it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Tinted Lens makes Butterfree very threatening, but also much less reliable. If you are going to run Tinted Lens, Bug Buzz is far better than Hurricane, as Hurricane is likely to miss without Compound Eyes. Giga Drain can allow Butterfree recovery, but Butterfree needs to be able to dish out as much damage as possible, rather than try to recover some HP. Giga Drain can be used to hit Rock-types super effectively, however Hurricane and Bug Buzz come in far more handy due to their STAB.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority**: Butterfree’s low Defense stat makes it very vulnerable to being heavily damaged by incoming priority. Butterfree can have a chunk taken out of it by Ice Shard, Aqua Jet, and can’t do anything against Lycanroc due to Accelerock.

**Steel Types**: Opposing Steel-types like Magneton, Ferroseed, and Galarian Stunfisk can wall Butterfree’s STAB move, and reliably deal decent damage back.

**Rock Types**: A majority of Rock types can either out speed Butterfree, or take one of Butterfree’s hits and then strike back with a OHKO. Good examples are Kabutops under rain, Rhydon, and Lycanroc.

**Electric Types**: Common Electric-Type Choice Scarf users like Rotom and Magneton can easily revenge kill Butterfree at +1, putting an end to Butterfree’s sweeping attempt. Bulkier Electric-Types like Rotom-Fan can take care of Butterfree in a pinch, easily living a slightly boosted hit.

**Choice Scarf**: Butterfree’s mediocre base Speed makes it very vulnerable to being revenge killed by many Choice Scarf users, even at +1. Choice Scarf users such as Sawk, Kingler and Jynx all make quick work of Butterfree.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[RexTheNoName,524359]]
- Quality checked by: [[S1nn0hC0nfirm3d, 231074], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
[SET]
Name: Quiver Dance
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Bug Buzz Substitute
move 3: Hurricane
move 4: Sleep Powder
Item: Leftovers / Heavy-Duty-Boots
Ability: Compound Eyes
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

(Substitute + Leftovers is a really potent combo for Butterfree, and it's often better than Bug Buzz + HDB. Bug Buzz instead can be mentioned in OO. In the first Set Comments paragraph, make sure to include a sentence about Substitute, and include another about the difference between Leftovers and HDB; the first is best with great entry hazard removal and prevention, otherwise the second is better.)

[SET COMMENTS]

Butterfree’s access to near perfect accuracy sleep powders Sleep Powder to compliment Quiver Dance (it's a threat cause it can boost, not just put targets to sleep) make it quite the offensive threat. Although Butterfree’s average Speed and mediocre Special Attack makes Frosmoth seem like a better option in comparison, Butterfree does have a few tricks up its sleeve. Butterfree’s Compound Eyes ability makes Sleep Powder and Hurricane far more threatening with very low chances of missing. This means Butterfree can reliably put the opposing Pokemon to sleep and then Quiver Dance, allowing Butterfree to become very threatening very quickly. Bug Buzz and Hurricane are butterfree’s STAB moves, allowing for great damage when boosted by Quiver Dance. Maxed out Speed and Special Attack are required for Butterfree, because even at +1 Butterfree is still out sped by opposing Scarf users. (Fluff; STAB moves and max max EV investment spreads don't need an explanation in analyses.) Butterfree is most effective late game, where a lot of the opposing team is weak, and it can come in and Quiver Dance to win. (move this to the start of the second para, as it's more of a usage tip then a set detail)

Slower, harder hitting Pokemon like Drampa Kingler, Centiscorch, and Life Orb Alcremie appreciate Butterfree’s Sleep Powder, allowing them to safely come in on opposing sleeping Pokemon. Butterfree appreciates the damage dealt by its teammates making it much easier to KO opposing mons (instead of being general here, list 2-3 examples of walls that the previous teammates can break for Butterfree). Butterfree is very defensively frail, so fast offensive Pokemon like Rotom, Dugtrio-Alola Sawk (VR relevancy), and Lycanroc can be a huge issue for Butterfree. Butterfree appreciates bulky teammates like Garbodor, Throh, and Uxie which can come in on opposing attacks, primarily priority attacks which Butterfree is very weak to. Entry hazards set by Pokemon like Rhydon, Qwilfish, and Miltank can do a great job at wearing down opposing Pokemon for Butterfree, making the sweep far easier for it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Tinted Lens makes Butterfree very threatening, but also much less reliable. Tinted Lens can easily have a sweep stopped by a simple miss due to Buterfree’s very low defensive stats. (You mentioned this set was less reliable, and this detail doesnt need an explanation) If you are going to run Tinted Lens, Substitute Bug Buzz is far better than Hurricane, as Hurricane is likely to miss without Compound Eyes. Giga Drain can allow Butterfree recovery, but Butterfree needs to be able to dish out as much damage as possible, rather than try to recover some HP. Giga Drain can be used to hit Rock-types super effectively, however Hurricane and Bug Buzz come in far more handy due to their STAB.

Checks and Counters
===================

(The formatting here includes asterisks.)

Priority**: Butterfree’s low Defense stat makes it very vulnerable to being heavily damaged by incoming priority. Butterfree can have a chunk taken out of it by Ice Shard, Aqua Jet, and can’t do anything against Lycanroc due to Accelerock.

**Steel Types**: Opposing Steel-types like Magneton, Klingklang Ferroseed, and Stunfisk Galar Galarian Stunfisk can wall both of Butterfree’s STAB moves, and reliably deal decent damage back. In fact, KlingKlang can even counter sweep Butterfree, by setting up on Butterfree with Shift Gear. (Klinklang is too niche to be mentioned here, and Hurricane is the main attack now.)

Rock Types**: A majority of Rock types can either out speed Butterfree, or take one of Butterfree’s hits and then strike back with a OHKO. Good examples are this are Omastar and Kabutops under rain, Rhydon, and Lycanroc.

(Add Electric-types)

(Add Choice Scarf users)

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[RexTheNoName,524359]]
- Quality checked by: [[S1nn0hC0nfirm3d, 231074], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]

QC 1/2! You did a great job on this one! There was a small set change so I had to adjust the writing / examples in some areas. You still wrote pretty well for the set you used, so I trust you can make these revisions on your own. Also, some of my changes were GP standards or typos, so keep those in mind in the implementation + in future writing. Good work!

Ho3nConfirm3d-QC-small.gif

Butterfree is most effective late game,
While true, its also a monster early game especially with lefties before they can get down rocks. You beat both the stunfisks and a handful of other people like Rhydon that you might find in a lead match up, which means you can set up in their face and ideally break them for your other team mates. So I'd also make a mention of how good it can be early into the match to sleep something and open up holes

Butterfree appreciates bulky teammates like Garbodor, Throh
Throh is pretty bad. Replace with Gurdurr

teammates with the ability to remove hazards like Altaria, Cramorant, and Sandslash
Sandslash is also very bad. Replace with more relevant hazard removal

Butterfree is very defensively frail, so fast offensive Pokemon like Rotom, Sawk, and Lycanroc can be a huge issue for Butterfree.
Lycan is gone so you can remove it, and Butterfree doesn't struggle too badly with Sawk or Rotom thanks to its ability to safely get behind subs while aided with sleep. So I'd more make mention that it can struggle with scarfers if you can't get a sub out

**Steel Types**: Opposing Steel-types like Magneton, Ferroseed, and Galarian Stunfisk can wall Butterfree’s STAB move, and reliably deal decent damage back.

**Rock Types**: A majority of Rock types can either out speed Butterfree, or take one of Butterfree’s hits and then strike back with a OHKO. Good examples are Kabutops under rain, Rhydon, and Lycanroc.
With the exception of Ferroseed, Butterfree's leftovers set can deal with all of these. You sleep, sub, and either fish for a miss or you just set on the turns you get 3 sleep and heal up with lefties in the mean time. I'd honestly rework this entire section to more so be slit with "these work against boots sets while the leftovers sets struggle with the stelath rocks these mons put out" would work a lot better.

im not exactly sure how to put this, but im gonna put an end to this project. I'm not right now able to handle PS i guess you could say, and its very hard for me to continue playing. I wouldn't have made it if I knew I wouldn't be able to play PS, but It makes me mindummingly fustrated whenever I play, and I don't like that. Yet again, I'm sincerely sorry for the people who put time into this analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)