VGC Butterfree Room

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

:butterfree-gmax:Butterfree Room :butterfree-gmax:

Inspiration

So basically i looked at the standard hardroom and it wasn't spicy enough so i was like lmao lemme do a /ds rage powder, !lc, !nfe, all and i was like o shit :butterfree: is actually gon be fucking amazing for that job and it stops tier 1 mon :Duraludon: with Sleep Powder as well so why the fuck not. ALSO I managed to fit Arctomish in here so thats good ive been looking at that thing for quite awhile and that things HOT.

Teambuilding Process

Yea its honestly just another 10mins build that was relatively straightforward. EVing :arctovish: took like 4mins lol.
Started with the standard TR team of :hatterene: :Indeedee: :Dusclops: :Torkoal: Filler Filler (aka. the only good hardroom team out there) and took out :Indeedee:, threw :Butterfree: in there and put :Arctovish: in the filler slot to click Fishious Rend.
The Team

:butterfree-gmax:
Butterfree-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Rage Powder
The key to getting Trick Room up, you'll probably be bringing this sucker every game unless something requires u to lead double setter which is pretty rare (think: if they have stuff that threaten both setters but can't threaten both simultaneously etc). Dual Stabs for hitting stuff, Bug Buzz transforms into G-Max Befuddle turning everything into a cancerous RNG game. Sleep Powder checks :Duraludon: so that u can get off TR safely in its face, Rage Powder makes it budget :Indeedee: and facilitates the setting of TR.

:dusclops:
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 200 Def / 52 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Night Shade
- Earthquake
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
One of the best Trick Room setters out there, i dropped pain split bc this shit is a massive momentum drain so i wanted it to like die without taking too much time on the field honestly but then its such a good TR setter i can't just not throw it in here. WOW burns stuff which is nice and cripples shit like sand and :braviary:. Earthquake self-procs WP on :Rhyperior: letting it plow through entire teams while Night Shade is there for consistent damage/chip.

:hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room
I started using this two days into the format bc it was just that good, guaranteed TR with a redirector is amazing. Simple Dual STABs Trick Room set with Mystical Fire over Protect bc i felt this was necessary for :Ferrothorn: and Steels which are super annoying. Honestly i probably EV'd this for some wack shit some point in time but icr so ya'll can try figuring it out yourselves or something.

:rhyperior:
Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Fire Punch
- Protect
Ah yes the :Tyranitar: of Trick Room, this just smacks everything to hell at +2. Straightforward Min-Max Spread with Fire Punch to kill :Ferrothorn: which otherwise walls it. WP works p well and even though its pretty much an SE move magnet and it lives every one of those when Dyanamax'd which is nice. +2 STABs kill basically everything except Croven and :Ferrothorn: which is what the Fire Move is there for. Lightningrod is cool since :Arctovish: is on this team and also blocks TWaves.

:arctovish:
Arctovish @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fishious Rend
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry
- Protect
The :Dracovish: of Trick Room. This thing hits as hard as it is beautiful. Running mixed here bc Fishious Rend absolutely SLAPS and LO Freeze Dry OHKOs AV :Ludicolo: with this spread. :gastrodon: also struggles to check it since :gastrodon: dies to Freeze Dry. Nothing much to say here, next.

:torkoal:
Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
Tork Tork motherfuckers this guy is one of the MVPs in gen 7 Monofire/DUU hardroom and fire coverage is always good. Drought is amazing for resetting weather since sand and rain are super popular RN. I went w a brazy 4 attacks set bc this thing doesn't need Protect if you play it well. It's a Chernobyl reactor under Trick Room killing shit in a 10 mile radius with sun boosted Charcoal Eruption. Flamethrower for when :torkoal:'s HP is low, Solarbeam is a must have and Earth Power is still good for taking out chipped/crippled :tyranitar: in sand.

Threatlist:
Mostly because all of the matches I've used this team in are BO1 matches, wack teams WILL catch you offguard the first game but realistically in a BO3 you should be able to adjust and win g2/g3 if you play it well even if you lose g1. And yes this will happen to you no matter what you're using.
Rock Slide honestly is the most irritating thing, watch out for Exca self EQing TTar to proc WP for that +2 Rock Slide as well. Sleep Powder should be enough to stop TTar for most parts but well. This can actually be fixed(sorta) by throwing :gastrodon: over :arctovish: (which ive seen many do when they stole this team) but :arctovish: has more flex potential so im keeping it.
This team may struggle to sort of break through screens once it gets up so u gotta try to put :grimmsnarl: to sleep or kill it ASAP as it hits the field. If you allow them to stall out Trick Room and kill your trick room setter its pretty much game over.

Replay(s)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2020-1026079164-stbkikq66wyl70fp6t48quvu4bjyqikpw
Only have 1 saved bc i didnt save any other while i was laddering oops.

Shoutouts to bad user curiosity for listening to my rants and being a shitty user overall. Shoutouts to Stoward as well because otherwise he wouldn't feed me likes :(

Edit: this team can also be used for DOU as well since current DOU/VGC teams are pretty much the same
Edit2: i didnt realise smb made a similar version of this in dou oops

Last edited:
My apologies if this is a stupid question... but what is the purpose of the 12 speed EVs on Rhyperior? Are we specifically trying to follow someone else on the team? Or is that to break an important tie outside of TR?

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My apologies if this is a stupid question... but what is the purpose of the 12 speed EVs on Rhyperior? Are we specifically trying to follow someone else on the team? Or is that to break an important tie outside of TR?
That was an EV error on my part, originally i wanted rhy to outspeed dusclops but then i just realised clops still had 31IVs so i removed the Spe EVs from Rhyperior and adjusted the Dusclops IVs instead. However u can keep it if you want since it outspeeds opposing Min spe Rhyperior so it might come in useful against trick room mirrors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)