Gen 1 Butterfree (UU Mini) (QC: 2/2) (GP: 1/1)

Rei

formerly Scholar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is part of a project to get rid of the poor quality, misinformation-ridden RBY analyses from over a decade ago. These works are low-priority and should be treated as such.

[OVERVIEW]

Butterfree is extremely hard to justify using because it is outclassed by Venomoth in nearly every way, particularly stats. Butterfree's Speed stat allows it to outpace Hypno and put it to sleep with Sleep Powder, but it is unable to outpace other Pokemon that Venomonth can, like Dragonite and Articuno. It also has poor damage output, which makes it hard to make progress. The only advantage Butterfree has over Venomoth is its Flying typing, which gives it a Ground-type immunity and not a Psychic-type weakness, This means Butterfree can work as a lead, as it only gets 3HKOed by Hypno's and Kadabra's Psychic. Butterfree's Flying typing does, however, make makes it 4x weak to Rock Slide and weak to Blizzard.

[SET]
name: Double Powder
move 1: Sleep Powder
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Psywave

[SET COMMENTS]

Butterfree can work as a sleep lead against opposing leads like Hypno and Kadabra, but it loses against lead Tentacruel and Haunter most of the time and should switch out. If it comes back in later, it should come in against an unstatused slower Pokemon or Kangaskhan's Earthquake to put some foe to sleep, but it needs to be wary of Rock Slide from Kangaskhan as it can OHKO Butterfree. Stun Spore is used to spread status after it puts a Pokemon to sleep, slowing down Pokemon for its teammates. Psychic is Butterfree's best option for Pokemon weak to it, like a paralyzed Tentacruel, and can try to get a 30% Special drop and force switches. Psychic is also useful against a paralyzed Tentacruel. Psywave is Butterfree's best neutral attack, but is inconsistent because of its huge range of damage and a 79.03% accuracy, considering the 1/256 uncertainty and Desync Clause Mod. Mega Drain can theoretically be used over Psywave to give Butterfree some HP back, and used to 4HKO Omastar and 3HKO Golem, but it is not worthwhile. Hyper Beam is a niche option over Psywave to get some damage off if Butterfree is low on health and has a low chance to 2HKO Kadabra, but with Butterfree's base 45 Attack stat, it will not be doing too much.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Yami, 393488]]
- Quality checked by: [[Plague Von Karma, 236353], [Sevi 7, 505149]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll throw in my two cents:
  • when comparing to Venomoth, I'd be sure to mention that Butterfree falls short of Venomoth in literally every stat. since the two of them use identical movesets most of the time and Butterfree doesn't have a more advantageous type (outside of Earthquake immunity I guess), you should never use Butterfree when Venomoth is just strictly better
  • The Venomoth analysis says that Venomoth is best used in the early game, but not as a lead. I'd talk about some lead matchups for why you might use Butterfree in the lead spot since it's inevitably going to be pitted against Venomoth
  • I wouldn't even slash Hyper Beam with Mega Drain to be honest. Butterfree has 45 Attack, so Hyper Beam is practically useless. You could include a passing mention of Hyper Beam in Set Overview but I wouldn't slash it on the actual set
that's about all I have to say really I guess

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Overview
Butterfree should never be used on serious teams, as it has it has mediocre stats, and is outclassed by Venemoth in every way because it has better stats, and can do what Butterfree does better.
The repetition here can easily be cut. Possibly "Butterfree should never be used on serious teams, as it is outclassed by Venemoth in nearly every way. Venomoth has better stats, which let it do what Butterfree does better."

The Overview should be expanded a bit more. Some ideas for you;
  • Go over Butterfree's Speed in more detail. It can still outspeed Hypno and put it to sleep, but is outsped by virtually everything else.
  • Butterfree's typing has some major shortcomings. Weaknesses to Rock Slide and Thunderbolt, etc.
  • Mention its crap damage output somewhere
Set Details
Butterfree can be used as lead to use Sleep Powder on opposing leads like Hypno and Kadabra.
Mention that it gets absolutely dicked by Electabuzz and Tentacruel.

If not used a lead, it should find a way early-game to come in and use Sleep Power, and attempt to either spread status or use Psychic to try to get a Special drop, which might be useful against a paralyzed Tentacruel.
Remove the vagary I bolded. It *is* useful against a paralyzed Tentacruel as you get to outspeed it and deal more damage.

Mention that Lead Tentacruel is always a good way to bring Butterfree in since WrapSwitching is always nice. There's also coming in on Earthquake and forcing status from there.

Psychic is its best neutral attack, as it can try to get a 30% drop and force switches.
Missed out Special there.

Hyper Beam is a niche option over Mega Drain to try to get some damage off if its low on health, but with its 45 Attack stat, it will not be doing too much.
Probably worth cutting if it isn't useful. See if it drops Kadabra from half or something, I guess.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Butterfree's Speed stat allows it to outpace Hypno and put it to sleep with Sleep Powder, but is unable to outpace any other Pokemon, including ones that Venomonth can like Dragonite and Articuno.
Reword this a touch, as it implies Hypno is the slowest viable UU Pokemon, which it certainly isn't. You're on the right track!

It also has a poor damage output, which makes it hard to do anything outside of 4HKO a a sleep Omastar with Mega Drain and 4HKO a paralyzed Tentacruel with Psychic.
You can shorten this to something like: "it also has poor damage output, which makes it hard to do anything outside of 4HKOing Omastar and paralyzed Tentacruel with Mega Drain and Psychic, respectively."

Butterfree can be used as lead to use Sleep Powder on opposing leads like Hypno and Kadabra, but loses against lead Electabuzz and Tentacruel.
So funnily enough, Electabuzz isn't a clear-cut loss. It'll take a good chunk in the process but it gets the sleep off anyway, which can be considered a KO in our eyes.
  • Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. Butterfree: 216-254 (66.8 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Implement this for QC 1/2, though I suggest proofreading what you've written out loud and making grammar changes based on how it reads.
plaguevonkarma-qc-small.gif

Reactions: Rei

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
So Butterfree is a terrible mon, no doubt about that, but it's not useless like some of these other Pokemon getting revamped. I've seen Lusch play to Butterfree's strength and actually win games with it, whereas any other mon wouldn't have worked in that situation. I've used it a bit myself and it can do ok. I don't know if I would ever use it in a serious game, but I think someone could. So, I'm going to recommend quite a few changes.

Overvirew
  • I'd change the first part to say that it's extremely hard to justify using butterfree since it is almost entirely outclassed by Venomoth who has superior stats.
  • We're going to change up the moveset a bit so I'd take out the Omastar and Tent example and just say that Butterfree hardly does any damage
Set
  • So butterfree can work in the lead spot, but it also works outside of the lead as well. It might even be better outside of the lead postion, so I'd change the name of the set to double powder or something like that
  • Replace Mega Drain with Psywave. On average it does as much damage as mega drain does to Omastar and can damage other pokemon like Hypno as well.
Set Comments
  • Say that Butterfree can work as a lead instead of it being a lead
  • Say that Butterfree will be KOed by Tentacruel most of the time and will need to switch out and remove the comment about Buzz
  • Add that the occasional Haunter lead will put Butterfree to sleep first most of the time
  • Take out the part about the early game and instead say that Butterfree should come in against an unstatused slower Pokemon or Kangaskhan's Earthquake to put it to sleep.
  • Remove the part about going for a psychic drop. You're just going to be going for the Sleep Powder
  • Add that Stun Spore is used after Butterfree has put something to sleep
  • Change Psychic is the best neutral attack to Psychic is Buterfree's most powerful Special attack.
  • Add that Psywave is Butterfree's neutral attack. Psywave is inconsistent because of its huge range of damage and a 79.03% accuracy, considering the 1/256 uncertainty and Desync Clause Mod. However, its still Butterfree's best attack against many Pokemon.
  • Add that Mega Drain is another option, but it's really only being used for consistent damage against Omastar and Psywave does about the same damage on average.
EDIT: QCed

Last edited:
GP amcheck.

Add Remove AC/RC: Add/Remove Comma Comments

This is part of a project to get rid of the poor quality, misinformation-ridden RBY analyses from over a decade ago. These works are low-priority and should be treated as such.

[OVERVIEW]

Butterfree It is extremely hard to justify using Butterfree, because it is outclassed by Venomoth in nearly every way. Venomoth has better stats, which let it do what Butterfree does better. Butterfree's Speed stat allows it to outpace Hypno and put it to sleep with Sleep Powder, but is unable to outpace other Pokemon like Dragonite and Articuno, (AC) that Venomonth can. (add period) like Dragonite and Articuno. It also has poor damage output, which makes it hard for Butterfree to do anything. The only advantage thing Butterfree has over Venomoth is its Flying typing, which allows it to have a Ground-type immunity and not be weak to Psychic-type attacks, which means it can work as a lead as it only gets 3HKO 3HKOed by Hypno's and Kadabra's Psychic. Butterfree's Flying typing does not come without its downsides, which makes making it weak to Rock Slide and Blizzard.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Butterfree can work as a lead sleeper to use Sleep Powder on opposing leads like Hypno and Kadabra, but it loses against lead Tentacruel and Haunter most of the time and should switch out. If not used as a lead, it should come in against an unstatused slower Pokemon or Kangaskhan's Earthquake to put it to sleep, but it needs to be wary of Rock Slide from Kangaskhan as it can OHKO Butterfree. Stun Spore is used to spread status after it puts a Pokemon to sleep, slowing down Pokemon for its teammates. Psychic is Butterfree's most powerful Special Attack, and can try to get a 30% Special drop and force switches. Psychic is also useful against a paralyzed Tentacruel. Psywave is Butterfree's best neutral attack, but is inconsistent because of its huge range of damage and a 79.03% accuracy, considering the 1/256 uncertainty and Desync Clause Mod. However, its it is still Butterfree's best attack against many Pokemon. Mega Drain can be used over Psywave to give Butterfree some HP back, and can used to 4HKO Omastar and 3HKO Golem, but it is not worthwhile. Hyper Beam is a niche option over Psywave to try to get some damage off if its low on health and has a low chance to 2HKO Kadabra, but with its 45 Attack stat, it will not be doing too much.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[name, id]]

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Butterfree is extremely hard to justify using (RC) because it is outclassed by Venomoth in nearly every way, (AC) particularly stats. Venomoth has better stats, which let it do what Butterfree does better. Butterfree's Speed stat allows it to outpace Hypno and put it to sleep with Sleep Powder, but it is unable to outpace other Pokemon that Venomonth can, (AC) like Dragonite and Articuno. It also has poor damage output, which makes it hard to do anything. Only thing make progress. The only advantage Butterfree has over Venomoth is its Flying typing, which allows it to have gives it a Ground-type immunity and not be weak to Psychic-type attacks, which a Psychic-type weakness. This means it Butterfree can work as a lead, (AC) as it only gets 3HKOed by Hypno's and Kadabra's Psychic. Butterfree's Flying typing does, (AC) not come without its downsides, which makes however, make it 4x weak to Rock Slide and weak to Blizzard.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Butterfree can work as a sleep lead to use Sleep Powder on against (note to Blui: beating hypno/dab valuable info, even if already said in overview, so I kept it) opposing leads like Hypno and Kadabra, but it loses against lead Tentacruel and Haunter most of the time and should switch out. If not used as a lead If it comes back in later, (in overview you say it's only advantage gives it use as lead, so i tinkered this a bit to not suggest you use it as a non-lead) it should come in against an unstatused slower Pokemon or Kangaskhan's Earthquake to put it some foe to sleep, but it needs to be wary of Rock Slide from Kangaskhan, (AC) as it can OHKO Butterfree. Stun Spore is used to spread status after it Butterfree puts a Pokemon to sleep, slowing down Pokemon for its teammates. Psychic is Butterfree's most powerful Special Attack, best option for Pokemon weak to it, like a paralyzed Tentacruel, (I assume, bc you say psywave best neutral attack, but lmk if not) and it can try to get a the 30% Special drop and force switches. Psychic is also useful against a paralyzed Tentacruel. to force a switch. Psywave is Butterfree's best neutral attack against foes not weak to Psychic, (clarity, lmk if not what you meant) but it is inconsistent because of its huge range of damage and a its 79.03% accuracy (RC) considering the 1/256 uncertainty and Desync Clause Mod. However, its still Butterfree's best attack against many Pokemon. Mega Drain can theoretically be used over Psywave to give Butterfree some HP back, and used to it can 4HKO Omastar and 3HKO Golem, but it is not worthwhile. Hyper Beam is a niche option over Psywave to try to get some damage off if its Butterfree is low on health and has a low chance to 2HKO Kadabra, but with its Butterfree's base 45 Attack stat, it will not be doing too much.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

finland-GP.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)