Buying a laptop soon - help!

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
X220 is a great computer and the i5-2450 is a good processor. If you're willing to sacrifice portability to deal with a 15" laptop, the same price can get you an HP Pavilion dv6t that will provide an i7 processor, which will do even better at Photoshop and Vegas. If portability is an important concern though, the i5 is no slouch. Never mind, I just noticed the SSD ^_^ That's a great choice!

Okay, bumping this to ask for help on the same topic.

I'm going off to college soon and I'm going to invest in a laptop - my budget is around $1,000 and I'm between these two so far:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...afe=off&cid=4281254382168367600&os=tech-specs

Lenovo ThinkPad X220
CPU: i5 dual-core, 2.5 GHz
Hard Drive: 128 GB SSD
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
RAM: 4 GB DDR3
Battery Life: 9.2 hours
Other: 12.5 inches, 3.1 pounds

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...roductsInCategory&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight

HP dv6t Laptop
CPU: i7 quad-core, 2.3 GHz
Hard Drive: 1 TB HDD
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
Battery Life: Up to 6 hours
Other: 15.6 inches, 5.66 pounds

I'm leaning a lot more toward the second one ATM - the first one, however, does have an SSD hard drive and longer battery life, as well as being more compact and easier to carry around. Smogon, is there any reason to go for the Thinkpad over the HP? Keep in mind that the Thinkpad is a little over $1,000 while the HP is around $800-900.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
If I recall correctly, Solid State Drives only decrease the time it takes for programs to load. While they do affect performance, it's only performance when it comes to actually starting up programs (although this does also mean the OS will boot up faster). The Lenovo at first glance appears to have a faster CPU (2.5 GHz versus 2.3 GHz), but I noticed that the HP laptop has a quad-core processor compared to the Lenovo's dual-core processor, so I think the HP has an overall better CPU, and having twice as much RAM is a pretty big deal performance wise. The reduced battery life sucks, but having up to 6 hours of battery life is still a lot of battery life (User: LucaroarkZ has an old-ass laptop that gets like 2 to 3 hours of battery life)

I think it really depends on how much you actually want to spend. If you're willing to spend so much money on a laptop, I wouldn't be against the Lenovo, but I think you'll get more for your money with the HP.

smogon is telling me i've commented in this thread before. if that's true I would have recommended lenovo, and I will do the same here.

unless you want to use it for play too maybe consider the hp but lenovo laptops are fantastic. you could also buy the hp laptop and then install an ssd in it. ssd prices are getting lower and lower.

Okay, bumping this to ask for help on the same topic.

I'm going off to college soon and I'm going to invest in a laptop - my budget is around $1,000 and I'm between these two so far:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...afe=off&cid=4281254382168367600&os=tech-specs

Lenovo ThinkPad X220
CPU: i5 dual-core, 2.5 GHz
Hard Drive: 128 GB SSD
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
RAM: 4 GB DDR3
Battery Life: 9.2 hours
Other: 12.5 inches, 3.1 pounds

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...roductsInCategory&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight

HP dv6t Laptop
CPU: i7 quad-core, 2.3 GHz
Hard Drive: 1 TB HDD
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
Battery Life: Up to 6 hours
Other: 15.6 inches, 5.66 pounds

I'm leaning a lot more toward the second one ATM - the first one, however, does have an SSD hard drive and longer battery life, as well as being more compact and easier to carry around. Smogon, is there any reason to go for the Thinkpad over the HP? Keep in mind that the Thinkpad is a little over $1,000 while the HP is around $800-900.
I'd go with the second, should also be better for basic gaming over the Thinkpad for what it's worth. Cost aside, consider also what you really want to be typing homework on: something a bit bigger with a bigger keyboard, or squinting at times while typing on a smaller one? Of course, the converse is, how much will you be lugging it around campus as well, as the size and weight difference is kinda big. SSDs are faster for bootups and such, but I mean in all seriousness, that probably doesn't really matter much for your average college student I would think. The Thinkpad also lacks an optical (read, DVD or Blu Ray) drive, meaning you'd have to spend more if you want to watch movies or other stuff involving discs.

So I'd personally go with the HP, Costco has a decent warranty program as well. Regardless, don't forget to grab a free Xbox 360 if wherever you buy it from is partnered with that Microsoft deal.

God, there are so many good deals just being thrown at my face that I'm completely reconsidering all my decisions.

http://www.shopping.com/hewlett-pac...teli7-3720qm-2-6-ghz-2tb-dual-hd-8gb-ram/info

The above is another HP laptop I found while searching for another seller of the HP in my above post - it's $900 (on sale for 28% off), is a quad-core i7 at 2.6 GHz, 2 TB hard drive, 6 GB RAM, and comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M GPU.

Alternatively, Misty's link is for an $800 HP with a quad-core i7 at 2.3 GHz, 1 TB hard drive, 8 GB RAM, and coems with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M GPU.

TL;DR - One laptop is $100 more expensive but is 0.3 GHz faster, has twice the hard drive space, 2 gigs less RAM, and a slightly better GPU. Since I'm probably not ever going to need 2 TB of RAM, I'm still a little indecisive.

Thanks for all the help!

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TL;DR - One laptop is $100 more expensive but is 0.3 GHz faster, has twice the hard drive space, 2 gigs less RAM, and a slightly better GPU. Since I'm probably not ever going to need 2 TB of RAM, I'm still a little indecisive.

Thanks for all the help!
the cpu differences are misleading. If only one core is active then the turbo frequency kicks in and that's a fair bit higher for both, but the i7 still wins out (3.1 vs 3.3). The other difference is that the i7 can run 8 threads which is only useful if 1. you like running shitloads of programs at once or 2. you plan to do simulations/programming/something that can utilise 8 threads lol. If not, then the extra price you pay for the i7 doesn't seem to be worth it, but that's ignoring the difference in the other components.

RAM-wise, 4GB is plenty for general use, and is pretty easy and cheap to upgrade (8GB costs £30 here).

those specs are ridiculous. i've never seen my 2.5gb of ram at half usage, and i haven't saved even 100gb of data in my lifetime...

as cookie said, cpu clock rates are a terrible measure of performance when you're comparing different processors. yes, a 2.6ghz i7 > 2.3ghz i7. but, when you're comparing different models, those numbers might as well have been pulled out of your nose.

the ssd has an extra advantage over a traditional hdd in a laptop -- hard disks are fragile and ssds are not. if you happen to drop your machine or something, you might regret not going for the ssd.

lastly, cd/dvd drives are obsolete. nobody uses cds to transfer data any more -- you save stuff on flash drives, you download games from the internet, etc. and cd drives are at least as fragile as your hdd. i would advise that you try to avoid getting a cd/dvd drive unless you absolutely know you'll want it. you can always buy an external cd/dvd drive later on.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SSDs are amazing and you should go with that (especially for a laptop) unless that GPU is really that much better and you'll be gaming a lot on that.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The DV6t models are known for its pleasant design and nifty features, but its also known for its heat issues unfortunately. I advise you not to take that because of its poor cooling design, ultimately reducing the battery life of your laptop. Even doing low-demanding tasks such as surfing increases the temperature, so if also looking to play games expect some unpleasant gaming experience with this thing. You're looking at about 50~ minutes of battery life if the heating issue persists overtime, which is pretty terrible for a college laptop. I wouldn't want a laptop shutting down arbitrarily in a middle of an essay due to heat issue. I mean, it's definitely a reputable brand, but the overheating and poor customer service is just not worth the money you are paying for. My friend owns the same model and it is a noisy laptop due to the poor cooling design and it burns the fuck (literally) out of his wrist when he would play games. I mean, if you have high tolerance for high pitch noise and blazing heat around the pad, then it wouldn't be a bad purchase on your part.

I'd probably start to look for reliable and affordable brands like Asus and Lenovo. And unless you're going to do heavy gaming, I'd peel from these fancy graphic cards and high speed processors. What are you exactly going to use your new laptop for? Start looking for laptops that's bang for your buck material to suite your needs, and perhaps you can save a couple dollar for other things! I can help you out because I was in the same position a couple of months ago, I just need to know your main purposes on this new laptop.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The DV6t models are known for its pleasant design and nifty features, but its also known for its heat issues unfortunately. I advise you not to take that because of its poor cooling design, ultimately reducing the battery life of your laptop. Even doing low-demanding tasks such as surfing increases the temperature, so if also looking to play games expect some unpleasant gaming experience with this thing. You're looking at about 50~ minutes of battery life if the heating issue persists overtime, which is pretty terrible for a college laptop. I wouldn't want a laptop shutting down arbitrarily in a middle of an essay due to heat issue. I mean, it's definitely a reputable brand, but the overheating and poor customer service is just not worth the money you are paying for. My friend owns the same model and it is a noisy laptop due to the poor cooling design and it burns the fuck (literally) out of his wrist when he would play games. I mean, if you have high tolerance for high pitch noise and blazing heat around the pad, then it wouldn't be a bad purchase on your part.

I'd probably start to look for reliable and affordable brands like Asus and Lenovo. And unless you're going to do heavy gaming, I'd peel from these fancy graphic cards and high speed processors. What are you exactly going to use your new laptop for? Start looking for laptops that's bang for your buck material to suite your needs, and perhaps you can save a couple dollar for other things! I can help you out because I was in the same position a couple of months ago, I just need to know your main purposes on this new laptop.
This is a great post. I used to have an HP laptop and it was absolute shit. after about a year the graphics card just decided to go fuck itself and the screen is destroyed. I called customer service and I got absolutely zero help. Do not buy an HP. They are going out of the computer business for a reason.

I really like the Lenovo, though. It's got a good-enough-for-what-you-do processor, a good sized SSD, NINE HOURS of battery life (seriously this is good, even if it only realistically gets 6-7 hours that's great), and increased portability (do you really want to lug a 15.6inch, 6 lb laptop around?). It looks seriously good. Not to mention that Lenovo is a dependable laptop brand and, as mentioned before, HP's build quality and customer service is total shit...

Go for the Lenovo.

The most intense stuff I'm looking to do on this thing is just gaming, and I probably won't be running FRAPS at all, nor am I concerned about playing on highest graphics. League of Legends and Guild Wars 2 are probably going to be the most stressful programs on this computer, so I probably don't have to go for an extremely powerful GPU.

One concern over the Lenovo that both my mother and other people in this thread have voiced, however, is the screen size - although it's light and compact, 12.5 inches may end up being frustrating to spend hours at typing an essay, as the small keyboard and display could end up aggravating after a while.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
One concern over the Lenovo that both my mother and other people in this thread have voiced, however, is the screen size - although it's light and compact, 12.5 inches may end up being frustrating to spend hours at typing an essay, as the small keyboard and display could end up aggravating after a while.
The computer I'm currently using is the 13 inch MacBook Air (may be 13.3?), and trust me -- it's fine. Unless an inch makes a REALLY big difference and I'm missing something, 12.6 inches should be fine for typing. I never have eye strain or anything bad from using a smaller screen.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53E/

I recommend this. I personally own a model like this and the laptop stays relatively cool for long durations and the fan is quiet. The keyboard is chiclet-based and its crazy wide, so you'll have a smooth time typing up your essays. Not to mention it comes with a numeric pad if you ever need to compute things faster.

If you can't find this model anywhere, then you should definitely look for a laptop with a 14-15.6" dimension to best suite your intentions. Most 15.6" laptops have wide keyboards and good screen quality for gaming purposes. When it comes to processors though, look no further with A6-A8 quad core models or even i5; both are similar in performance, anything bigger than that would be considered over paying with the things you'll be doing. You also don't need crazy fast processor speed. My laptop is an A6 Quad Core with underwhelming processor speed (1.4) compared to the faster ones. It still works light speed, and I play League on very high settings smoothly without any lag. In the end of it all, it all boils down to research. I'm 100% sure you'll find the laptop you need without paying 1000 bones.

Don't neglect the mundane issues too! Such as keyboard style, heat, and potential screen flickering. Sometimes laptops with amazing specs tend to have these underlying issues the company brand doesn't touch on. So look out for that!

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've never had heat issues with my dv6t Sandy Bridge model, but I can't speak for the Ivy Bridge ones.

XoticPC is good for heavy-duty gaming laptops, but I'd only really shop there if I was looking to spend $2000+. Otherwise you'll probably end up overpaying for the specs you get.

AMD tends to be my recommendation for the $600 and lower segment. At that level I think it pays to go with the higher graphics power and higher core count over pure CPU power. Once you hit $700 you can get laptops with i5s and respectable discrete graphics.

I wouldn't knock buying for specs even if you're not sure how you'll use it. IMO, buy the best laptop within your budget. You may decide one day that you want to play some game or edit a video or something like that, and if your laptop can handle it, so much the better. Plus, I think future-proofing is valuable at this stage - with the tabletization of the PC industry, I suspect that it will be a while before the power level of a quad core i7 will be declared inadequate.

OK, a year later and I finally got a laptop. I decided on the T430 because of the decent portability and the NVIDIA 5400M graphics card. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3.30GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000
Windows 8
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory
4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
Keyboard Backlit - US English
720p HD Camera with Microphone
320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable
Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader
6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+

I'm loving it so far, the only thing is that when I play Minecraft my battery dies way faster. What could I do to put less stress on my laptop so that the battery doesn't die quite as fast (besides getting a bigger battery)

Ever consider plugging it into an outlet and not unplugging it? :P

Regardless, you will never get much life of any device when doing multimedia content like videogames, streaming/watching vids, etc, that will drain any battery pretty fast. You could turn down the settings, but that's buying maybe several minutes at best. I guess depending on whether you're doing multiplayer or single, you can disable the internet wifi for better results too.

Ever thought about getting a laplet? I love my Sony Duo 11 and the best thing about this category is that there are over 10 designs to choose from:

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK, a year later and I finally got a laptop. I decided on the T430 because of the decent portability and the NVIDIA 5400M graphics card. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3.30GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000
Windows 8
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory
4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
Keyboard Backlit - US English
720p HD Camera with Microphone
320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable
Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader
6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+

I'm loving it so far, the only thing is that when I play Minecraft my battery dies way faster. What could I do to put less stress on my laptop so that the battery doesn't die quite as fast (besides getting a bigger battery)
underclock your processor, turn off hyperthreading or turboboost. those will pretty dramatically cut CPU power usage if you are a power user but naturally the CPU will be less capable. i'm sure there are programs that dynamically change the clock of your processor more dramatically than intel's default does.

you could underclock your GPU although that would make running games harder with the card not being all that great to start with. tbh, the NVS cards are workstation graphics cards and aren't really designed to save power, nor are many other laptop GPUs.

turning off wifi is a pretty clear way to save some power. same applies with bluetooth and other radios.

looking at the lenovo ideapad y500 atm but sourcing is a massive bitch in australia...any other recommendations? i want to run most current games and have about aud1000 to spend
The Lenovo y5xx series you linked is your best bet for a gaming notebook. You will be able to run modern games just fine as long as you don't expect to run them at 1080p60 on ultra. Just beware of microstuttering, so turn off vsync.

Also, Shinryu answered your question, YTP.

I've never had heat issues with my dv6t Sandy Bridge model, but I can't speak for the Ivy Bridge ones.

XoticPC is good for heavy-duty gaming laptops, but I'd only really shop there if I was looking to spend $2000+. Otherwise you'll probably end up overpaying for the specs you get.

AMD tends to be my recommendation for the $600 and lower segment. At that level I think it pays to go with the higher graphics power and higher core count over pure CPU power. Once you hit $700 you can get laptops with i5s and respectable discrete graphics.

I wouldn't knock buying for specs even if you're not sure how you'll use it. IMO, buy the best laptop within your budget. You may decide one day that you want to play some game or edit a video or something like that, and if your laptop can handle it, so much the better. Plus, I think future-proofing is valuable at this stage - with the tabletization of the PC industry, I suspect that it will be a while before the power level of a quad core i7 will be declared inadequate.
Oh please. Don't go with AMD notebook CPUs. Their integrated graphics processors are pretty good, but I can't say the same about their CPUs. AMD "quad-cores" aren't really quad cores with only 2 FPUs and my friend's A10 is beaten by the low end Pentium B960. That said, AMD CPUs are about sufficient for anything that doesn't require prime95/video-editing (provided that the CPU doesn't bottleneck the GPU). Really, just go for an i3 + discrete graphics if you need gaming on a low budget. And anyway, now that you can get 35 W Ci5's for less than $600, why not just go for that? The Ci5 can do enough legwork for the HD 4000 to permit basic gaming.

you know, you can find laptops that have no os on them at all. they're way cheaper.
"but how will the computer work without an os, alex?"
simple. it's not just mac and windows out there. linux exists, too. linux is basically a free version of... hell, whatever you want. there are lots of different builds of linux, and they all come with a crapload of free software [libre office instead of microsoft office {and it's compatible with mo, too!}, gimp instead of photoshop, etc] and it can also emulate windows via the WINE program that's included if you want it to. all you really need is a usb stick to download it to, and you're set - just put the stick into a port on the computer, get into the boot menu [usually f12] and then download it to your computer.

you can learn more http://www.linux.org/article/view/selecting-a-linux-distribution there, if it strikes your fancy. and hey, if all else fails, it's free, and you can run it alongside windows or mac if you want.

[you can also find laptops that have linux pre-installed on them, to my knowledge...]

i personally use the mint distribution, but it doesn't really matter too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)