Buying a new notebook / desktop-pc - Windows 7 HP 32-Bit or 64-Bit?

I just find no solution for my question. I want to buy me either a notebook or a desktop-pc in the next time, but i don't know, what's going on with those 32 or 64-Bit versions of Windows 7 Home Premium. Bit-versions are deciding if all the programms and drivers will work, but how i know, if mine will work? I use actually only standard-software like Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Office and Skype. Maybe Camtasia Studio's Screen Recorder and NO$GBA.

How should i know, which bit-version would be working for me?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The main difference between 64-bit and 32-bit is that the former can recognize amounts of RAM greater than 3.2 gb, but the latter cannot. Even if the system has more memory than that, the OS will not recognize it. Basically, if you're buying a prebuilt PC, drivers are a non-issue because it will come with the correct ones. 32-bit software that does not fall under the category of drivers (or some other special cases like Antivirus programs) will work just fine on 64-bit Windows.

If it were be, I would always get 64-bit unless my computer was not capable of doing to (virtually all modern CPUs are).

Okay.. What i know yet, is, that a 64-bit-version can only be used if the processor supports it, meaning "x64". And, that you can reach only with a 64-bit version more than 3.2 GB memory.
But i don't get it respecting drivers and programms. Can you explain me that again please? How should i know, if my currently-used programms and drivers will run on a 64-bit-version? (I'm using currently a 32-bit-version).

(And sorry for my english, i'm German..)

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
For the most part, you shouldn't have any trouble running 32 bit programs in a 64 bit environment. In respect to drivers, 64 bit systems DO require different drivers from 32 bit ones in some cases, but it shouldn't be an issue if you are buying your computer preconfigured for you (the required drivers will already be installed out of the box)

It's true that if you only intend to use the software that you listed in your OP, a 64 bit system is not really necessary. However, as a general rule I always try to make sure that any new computer I plan to buy is future proof, since unless it completely breaks down, you can expect to be using the same same machine for 3-4 years, and by then 64 bit Operating Systems will probably be the standard anyway. Believe it or not, many people were actually surprised that Microsoft planned to release a 32 bit version for Windows 7 when it was announced!

So in short, especially because there is no price difference, you might as well choose the 64 bit edition.

Okay, if you say that, i believe it. I'm also one, who plans to use things like PCs several years, so it really should be the better option, if i choose one with a 64 bit version.

Then, what do you guys think about this notebook? http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/windows+7+4617/hp+compaq+presario+cq61+315sg. It's a german page, so i'll help you a bit: 2x 2.0 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8200M (1407MB). I'm a confident fan of hewlett packard notebooks, because they also have a good design. Price is okay for me too.

Thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it.

Okay, if you say that, i believe it. I'm also one, who plans to use things like PCs several years, so it really should be the better option, if i choose one with a 64 bit version.

Then, what do you guys think about this notebook? http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/windows+7+4617/hp+compaq+presario+cq61+315sg. It's a german page, so i'll help you a bit: 2x 2.0 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8200M (1407MB). I'm a confident fan of hewlett packard notebooks, because they also have a good design. Price is okay for me too.

Thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it.
From the apps you listed in the OP, this computer will be sufficient. However, any extensive 3d gaming may feel a little pinch from that graphics card. Otherwise, sounds like a fine laptop.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Not intending to steer you away or anything, but HP makes some of the worst trackpads for laptops in the industry. Inaccurate, glossy, slippery, and downright uncomfortable.

Anyways, to add to this conversation. 64 bit operating systems are slowly becoming the norm. Just about every laptop sold today comes with 3 if not 4GBs of ram at a minimum. 6 GBs if you're lucky. Desktops you can find as much as 12 GBs.

One can only assume that every component will be compatible with 64 bit when one buys it. Meaning, if the manufacturer is selling components packaged with a 64-bit operating system, its assumed it will function properly.

Aftermarket components are a completely different story. That's up for you to decide wether they will perform properly. Before purchasing them.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any hardware made in the last few years by a company that's worthy buying from will have 64-bit drivers. As long as you're on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you'll be fine. Stay away from XP and earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)