SM OU Buzzwole Offense

hi. this is a team that is very close to me (as in its the first team to get me past the 1400 mark) so I feel I should share it with yous. most of the sets are standard and I'm still looking advice to get me past the 1500 mark (yay). I understand that this was a bit of a thrown together team but it went good for me so I hope itll do anyone else who wants to use this good.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 52 HP / 244 Atk / 152 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Hammer Arm
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch

I kicked of with buzzwole as it is my favourite gen 7 mon by design, and when I noticed on the showdown teambuilder that it was ou, I knew that I had to use it. I used the roost set because its the standard set (although I was tempted by the choice band set). Hammer Arm's mandatory stab. Poison Jab is for the very short list of fairies I can outspeed or nail on the switch in. Ice punch for flying types on the switch in and roost is for sustainability. Leftovers also provide a small amount of sustain.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

The next mon I put on my team was (the uncommon) pursuit mega metagross. I quite liked the pursuit idea as it helped buzzwole deal with unwanted psychic types, gengar and alolan marowak. Even without pursuit, mega metagross has great synergy with buzzwole, removing fairies and helping buzzwole wallbreak. Like I said, Pursuit is the key move that supports buzzwole in many ways. Earthquake is for heatran, jirachi, alolan muk and other mons that may cause a problem. Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash are mandatory stabs of course.

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Taunt

My team didn't have a special attacker of any kind whatsoever, so I clearly needed one, As my team couldn't lay a dent on mega scizor and ferrothorn (give them peace, theyre physical attackers). Not only did I want to beat them, I wanted to surprise them, which is why I conjured up hp fire tapu lele. As well as surpising and hitting ferrothorn and Mega Scizor 4x super effective, it also provides psychic terrain to boost mega metagross's zen head-butt. Psychic hits incredibly hard under psychic terrain, especially with the twisted spoon (twisted spoon can also bluff a choice item). Moonblast is my secondary stab and taunt is there to kill some aspects of stall.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory

I needed another special attacker, so I chose Ash-Greninga. Ash Gren is an amazing mon this gen and whenever it gets a battle bond boost there's very little stopping it, especially when running choice specs. I ran extrasensory over U-turn or ice beam to surprise toxapex and opposing buzzwole. Hydro Pump is my primary stab hitting so many things super hard (even more so with choice specs) while dark pulse is my secondary stab. Water shuriken is on the set to pick things of and getting my battle bond transformation to start wrecking.

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

My team was quite very weak to tapu fini. No, we could not dent sm ou's own dolphin. Hence, I added Bloom Doom heatran, which could trap tapu fini with magma storm and out-speed and KO it with bloom doom. The first two moves were obvious. I wouldn't have used heatran on this team if it wasn't for magma storms trapping effect and solar beam is needed to get my super powerful bloom doom. Stealth Rock was chosen over taunt as my team did not yet have a stealth rock setter and earth power was for opposing heatran.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu was chosen as my last mon for its amazing synergy with Heatran and metagross, beating water and ground types and setting grassy terrain so that even heatran could live one defensive lando t's eq. Wood hammer was the move I'd spam early game and OHKO even toxapex when holding a choice band. Horn Leech was a move to provide sustainability and spam late game vs dented teams. Stone edge helped me rip up slower fire types or nail them on the switch-in and superpower was for steel types which I could OHKO with anything else

That wraps it up for my team I guess. I have one replay which I'll show you but anyway, offer all criticisms and praises down below http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-535850832

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello Kanga,

You have a really cool team and I really like it. But, the most annoying weaknesses are against Dugtrio Stall because Dugtrio can trap your Tapu Lele since it doesn't have a Shed Shell and then the Chansey + Skarmory Core completely walls your team. Dangerous Sweepers like Volcarona and Salamence can just destroy your team when they setup. Pheromosa and Tapu Lele are two pokemons that can severely damage your team since you have no switch-in to both two. You have Pursuit M-Metagross, but after some damages it can be killed by Pheromosa. Your Buzzwole can take hits from physical Pheromosa but Quiver Dance and Choice Specs Pheromosa can destroy it.

--------->
Tapu Bulu is a good Wallbreaker but I don't think your team needs it because it makes your team very weak to Steel Types like Celesteela and Skarmory. Tapu Fini fits really well on your team because it gives you another way of beating Stall with Taunt and Moonblast to beat M-Sableye. It also gives you something that can weaken the opponent's team thanks to Nature's Madness openning a door for Ash-Greninja's sweep. If Salamence has already used its Supersonic Skystrike, Tapu Fini can beat it with Moonblast without being OHKOed by a +2 Fly or a +2 Earthquake. It also prevents it from spamming Dragon moves. It also gives you something able to safely switch-into Pheromosa and Greninja. It takes on so many pokemons like Zygarde and Keldeo which give troubles to your team. The set is Moonbast/Taunt/Nature's Madness/Defog with 248 HP/192 Def/16 SpD/52 Spe with a Calm Nature

--------->
Bloom Doom Heatran is pretty good. But, with the replacement of Tapu Bulu by Tapu Fini, it loses its utility in your team. Its role in your team was the role of Stallbreaker. Tapu Fini also does that and takes on menaces Heatran has to take on like M-Sableye and Skarmory. In addition, Tapu Fini gives you a pokemon able to take on Ground Types like Zygarde. But, with Heatran in the team, they can setup on it and become a problem to your team. That's why I think your team is lacking of a Ground immunity but also of a Stealth Rocker. Here comes Landorus-T. It fills every roles I listed before and gives you a slow U-Turner which is great for Ash-Greninja and all of your Offensive 'mons. The set is Earthquake/HP Ice/U-Turn/Stealth Rock with 252 HP/232 Def/24 SpD with a Relaxed Nature which is choosen to be as slow as possible and to hit other Landorus-T, Zygarde and Garchomp harder.

--------->
With Tapu Fini and Landorus-T in your team, Buzzwole loses all of its Defensive Utility. Every menaces it's allowed to take on like Pheromosa, Zygarde and Dark Types, are checked by Landorus-T, Tapu Fini or both. Your team is lacking of a Revenge Killer for menaces like Salamence and Volcarona which can still damage your team. That's why I think Scarf Garchomp fits well on your team. I chose it over other Scarfers because it gives you a Fire resist for pokemons like M-Charizard Y and Heatran and another Electric immunity which is always good for Tapu Koko and Magnezone. The set is Outrage/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Rock Slide|Stone Edge with 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe with a Jolly Nature.

Sets Changes :

Shed Shell CM : The Shed Shell CM set is good on your team because it improves your matchup against Dugtrio Stall since it's not trapped by this one. The set is Psyshock/Moonblast/HP Fire/Calm Mind with 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe with a Timid Nature. I prefer Calm Mind over Taunt because you already have Tapu Fini for Taunting. So, a win condition against Stall seems better.

Hammer Arm : Hammer Harm over Earthquake because it gives you another way of hitting Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Skarmory while still hitting things like Heatran and opposing M-Metagross

U-Turn : U-Turn over Extrasensory because it gives you more momentum. You don't need Extrasensory since you already have 2 Psychic 'mons for hitting Poison Types like Toxapex and M-Venusaur

That's all for the rate, I hope it will help you. Good Luck ^_^

Last edited:

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi there nice team. The biggest thing I noticed that this team has trouble dealing with is Quiver Dance Pheromosa. While it is true that you have an Ash Greninja, if Phero manages to getup a QD vs say Heatran which will not be staying in due to the fear of Band / LO HJK, its pretty much gg since shuriken from greninja won't kill anymore. Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona are also things this team has trouble dealing with since Zard pretty much gets a kill everytime it comes in, and Volcarona can QD up and practically win the game at that point. Salamence is another issue for this team since it can setup 4/6 mons and if its zfly it also pretty much wins/ With that being said here are my suggested changes.

-->
Running ScarfChomp > Bulu can help with numerous things. Firstly, it has the ability to outspeed both Charizard-Y, and +1 Volcarona and OHKO both of them with Rock Slide, now giving you a counterplay to them. ScarfChomp also provides you with another way of beating Mega Alakazam which could be quite a nuisance since it can abuse Tapu Lele's Psychic surge which blocks Water Shuriken. Also, running Dual Chop is an interesting choice here but it works very well. Dual Chop is able to break QD Pheromosa's sash if it decides to try to setup on you knowing that you're choice scarf. The alternative for this is running Dragon Claw which could be useful if you're paranoid about missing, but the double hit effect really benefits this team. ScarfChomp also outspeeds a +1 Salamence preventing it from winning the game entirely. The main downside of this change is it makes your team much weaker to bulky waters, mainly Tapu Fini which can now abuse most of the members of this team unless you can lure it with Bloom Doom Heatran.

Changing EQ to Thunder Punch, and Pursuit to Bullet Punch also really help this team. Celesteela is one of the mons that completely shut down your Tapu Lele, and Buzzwole with its incredible bulk and access to Leech Seed + Heavy Slam + Protect. Thunder Punch can catch a Celesteela user completely off guard taking off more than half putting it in range of a +1 HP Fire after SR and also a hit from Buzzwole. Thunder Punch also hits Charizard-Y for a lot of damage and can kill a zard at full health which would have lived a hit Zen Headbutt, potentially losing you the game. Although, this means that you have to play smarter around things like Heatran and Magnezone and not let your Mega Metagross get trapped by Scarf Mag, and rather go into your Garchomp, or Heatran to abuse those things. Finally, Thunder Punch hits Bulky Waters which this team misses out on with the removal of Tapu Bulu. Running Bullet Punch helps this team deal with QD Pheromosa as after some chip damage, especially from Water Shuriken from Greninja, Pheromosa drops to a bullet punch, (same goes for garchomps rock slide) meaning it can't win anymore. BP also hits Mega Zam really hard. This means that you can't pursuit trap latios and tapu lele, so you have to play more offensive around those things.

U-Turn > Extrasensory on AshGren also works well since it can provide you with a free switch into one of your wallbreakers, and Extrasensory isn't really needed since you already have ways of beating bulky poisons, mainly with Mega Metagross, and Heatran. U-Turn also can improve this teams Stall MU since you can U-turn out from a chansey to your Tapu Lele which puts in a ton of work via Taunt + Psyshock + HP Fire.

Also, running Psyshock > Psychic on Lele hits chansey much harder and works great with taunt since you can prevent Chansey from recovering, and it also stops Skarmory from recovering as well.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 282-334 (94.9 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 198-234 (69.9 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 226-266 (56.7 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 130-154 (51.7 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 174-206 (50.7 - 60%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Garchomp Dual Chop (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 316-376 (95.4 - 113.5%) -- approx. 87.5% chance to OHKO

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 52 HP / 244 Atk / 152 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Hammer Arm
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dual Chop
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)