BW OU Dugtrio Vote [BANNED] - reopened

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hello everyone. The BW Council will be holding a vote on Dugtrio in the current metagame! The vote will have the following options:
  • Ban -- remove Dugtrio from the current metagame
  • Do not ban -- keep Dugtrio in the current metagame
The BW Council has adapted a new set of philosophies and tiering process recently. We are making an effort to prioritize recent BW OU tournaments and results. Therefore, our voting criteria will focus only on the two most recent official BW tournament phases, Smogon Tour 24 and SPL 9. With this said, we also are making the criteria for voters who qualified via Smogon Tour more lenient. As for SPL, we will be using the same voting criteria as we did for determining who will be responding to our exit survey, which you can find information about here. For what it is worth, this vote is largely based off of the feedback we received in the aforementioned survey.

To specify, the criteria to qualify to vote will be the following:
  • At least 15 points scored in BW tournaments during Smogon Tour 24
  • At least 3 BW games played with two or more wins in SPL 9
  • At least 5 BW games played in SPL 9
The following users can participate in this vote:

How to vote? Simply PM me one of the two options listed above (Ban or Do not ban). You cannot edit your vote once you have PMd me and to assure this, I will respond upon receiving your vote.

The deadline is April 4th at 11:59pm GMT-4!

---

Feel free to post any questions or comments in this thread, but the primary purpose of this thread is to alert voters of the vote and post results when the deadline is hit.

Last edited:

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
wait wait wait wait wait wait

so you're posting this thread that could have a very serious impact on the bw metagame without giving anybody the opportunity to publicly voice their opinion on a dugtrio suspect with a discussion thread beforehand? what's with this assumption that dugtrio, a pokemon that hasn't and probably never will scratch a+ rank in roa's bw ou viability ranking thread, is such a metagame-terrorizing threat that it's worthy of serious consideration for being taken out of the tier? what's with the lack of any explanation for looking at this over other pokemon in the op? you need to justify this sort of thing somehow, and you need to at least pretend to care about the voice of the bw ou community at large. i don't like this elitist voting system that considers only two user groups' opinions: those fortunate enough to play in the most recent edition of the most exclusive tournament on smogon, and those who have the time and luck to amass a sizable number of smogon tour points. i've mained bw ou for years, have a good grasp on the metagame, and feel strongly about what direction the tier takes in the future. does my opinion not matter at all because i came out of retirement too late to secure an spl slot this year, or because i never have time on weekends to play smogon tour matches?

what kind of precedent are you trying to set here?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
wait wait wait wait wait wait

so you're posting this thread that could have a very serious impact on the bw metagame without giving anybody the opportunity to publicly voice their opinion on a dugtrio suspect with a discussion thread beforehand?
This is entirely wrong, first of all. There is a thread posted recently that can be seen here and I would like to quote a portion of it:
Eo Ut Mortus said:
I would like to open this thread up to general discussion of the current metagame and any potential votes should they occur.
On top of this, it is not like there are threads for discussion on many other votes for old generations, let alone much forum discussion at all. I feel like your expectations of the past generation tiering system are unrealistic. The system for past generation tiering decisions have always been exclusive, drawing on qualifications from all BW (or other generations, see: DPP Sand Veil for example of this) tournaments. There is currently no infrastructure to support completely democratic suspect tests and it is not exactly realistic to expect one given the nature of old generation playerbases/tournaments/participation. There is ample precedent across Smogon for non-democratic tiering (UU defaults to council decisions for certain votes, every tier has the option for preliminary quick bans, etc.), so I do not see it being an issue here, too, especially considering the relatively small playerbase and sample sizes of past generation metagames relative to newer generation metagames.

what's with this assumption that dugtrio, a pokemon that hasn't and probably never will scratch a+ rank in roa's bw ou viability ranking thread, is such a metagame-terrorizing threat that it's worthy of serious consideration for being taken out of the tier?
Those are beyond outdated and I posted recently in an attempt to revive them saying that Dugtrio, Ninetales, and other related Pokemon should move up significantly. That post can be found here and if you are going to use this thread as a source, then perhaps you should be up to date with it yourself, too.

Regardless, viability rankings, especially those that are outdated and for an old generation, hold absolutely no weight towards suspects, in my opinion. You want to know what holds weight? The aforementioned exit survey that was sent out to SPL players, in which over half of the respondents said that Dugtrio was suspect worthy and/or banworthy.

As a council, we value recency. The metagame is still actively played and changing, as clearly shown by recent high-level tournament matches, and we don't believe people should qualify solely based on legacy (i.e: tournament games played in the same tier, but a very different metagame fairly long ago). This prompted a number of decisions on our behalf. The most noteworthy of those decisions would be using the aforementioned exit survey to give us a strong idea on how to act, but another important one would be excluding actual council members from having an auto-vote -- I am not voting in this test and the same can be said for Jirachee, Eo Ut Mortus, and M Dragon, who are all members of the council. While we may all be competent in BW OU and informed enough to vote, we did not meet the criteria, so it would not be fair for us to vote when others earned it throughout recent tournaments. Additionally, we decided to shorten the period of tournaments from which we drew voters from to the past two tournament phases (Smogon Tour and SPL given our current period in the tournament circuit), which ties back into the stress on recency and assuring we have a group of currently competent voters, which I personally feel we do have under this current vote.

what's with the lack of any explanation for looking at this over other pokemon in the op?

you need to justify this sort of thing somehow, and you need to at least pretend to care about the voice of the bw ou community at large.
Assuming you mean the OP of the BW OU VR, there should not be a burden of having to explain why we are not looking into Pokemon that are ranked highly, especially because viability =/= brokenness, which is a fundamental fact of tiering, and a lot of Pokemon ranked highly are simply very good and not necessarily banworthy! As for the other side of the coin -- the burden of having to explain why we are voting on Dugtrio, that ties back in with the exit survey that we had with SPL players. However, you can also add in the fact that whenever it was brought up on Discord, especially in public chats such as the Smogon Tournaments server, Dugtrio was clearly seen as controversial and the BW council tended to echo these sentiments in our own personal assessments of the situation, making this vote more than warranted.

i don't like this elitist voting system that considers only two user groups' opinions: those fortunate enough to play in the most recent edition of the most exclusive tournament on smogon, and those who have the time and luck to amass a sizable number of smogon tour points. i've mained bw ou for years, have a good grasp on the metagame, and feel strongly about what direction the tier takes in the future. does my opinion not matter at all because i came out of retirement too late to secure an spl slot this year, or because i never have time on weekends to play smogon tour matches?
Perhaps this is an issue you take more with the Smogon tiering process on a fundamental level than this test itself then, seeing as this (specifically with regards to the Smogon Tour qualification criteria) is equivalent to a tier main missing a suspect test because they were busy during the week the suspect ladder was up -- sure, this is more exclusive seeing as we only took from the pool of a couple tournaments, but you have to scale it down given that BW is not played nearly enough to do so otherwise and there are literally no other Smogon tournaments to go off of recently (and I already discussed how recency was vital to this and one of our goals to promote before). I am aware you would have liked to participate in the test, but you (and even people like myself, who played BW in WCOP and SPL during 2017) have no actual basis or argument to include yourself given the things outlined above and I think that these tests almost have to be "elitest" in a sense to be effective/properly representative. Oh and finally, we even relaxed the requirements to qualify via Smogon Tour from top 3 to 15 points total, which was an attempt to make it more inclusive and "fair" as well.

what kind of precedent are you trying to set here?
One that assures that decisions impacting the future of past generation tiering are put in the hands of informed and qualified individuals.

There will be future opportunities for the larger playerbase to participate in tiering decisions with the advent of the BW circuit, too.

actual post: i wasn't really on board with dugtrio ban pre spl because it was such a non issue and saw very little usage. we saw its effectiveness in spl tho and how it forced a lot of games which were pretty lopsided. e.g. my game vs jacob i didn't have to make a play https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-343280

dug+xatu shackle a lot of teams to a very significant degree which requires a lot of catering in the builder. you need a strong sr that threatens xatu or multi anti-sun methods. posho and bkc both used shed shell tyranitar against me kinda demonstrating how oppressive dugtrio was. a lot of ppl, myself included, have participated in a lot of bw metagaming and understand how sun shifts the metagame to an undesirable degree right now. imo things like nonbulky toed are unviable because of dugtrio too. dug is just able to really cheese a lot of free wins without much counterplay. shed shell isn't even 'counterplay' by definition.

competition is inherently elitist. it's a big bad scary buzzword that really frightens folks, but elitism is good in games and saying this vote is Elitist does nothing to substantiate a claim.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
while I agree duggy was effective this spl, maybe a replay where it comes onto the field to at least do /something/ would be a better example...
It would have done precisely what it needed to against Jacob had Dice not crit Volt Switch and Dice would have won in the same exact fashion he did with the aid of Dugtrio, but sure!
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 -- Dugtrio did its job in removing a clear threat to the team it was on in all of these games and it also led to a win in most of these games, too. In almost half of these games, Dugtrio removed multiple Pokemon as well. I can elaborate on specific impact of it in any or every game if you would like, but this is just a small sample size from SPL and the impact seemed pretty clear to me.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
This is entirely wrong, first of all. There is a thread posted recently that can be seen here and I would like to quote a portion of it:
I would like to open this thread up to general discussion of the current metagame and any potential votes should they occur.
i didn't think this thread was open to the general public (and it isn't necessarily, anyway, because it's not in a forum non-badged users or those without permission can write in). actually, i didn't even click on it until right before i made my post, because of its title: "Post-SPL 9 BW OU Exit Survey". it's not the sort of thing that sounds like it's going to encourage wider community participation: it sounds like something intended solely for people who just finished spl, hence the phrase "exit survey". the title heavily implies that it's something off-limits from smogon's general user base, and none of its actual content except the de-contextualized last line convinces me otherwise.

even disregarding the diction in that thread that gives it an air of exclusivity, there was no public post anywhere on smogon that informed people that a dugtrio suspect would occur. so, no, there really was no venue to discuss this suspect test ahead of time. how is one supposed to discuss a suspect test they don't even know exists? sure, i have anti-dugtrio ban arguments, but i wouldn't have raised them in a thread where i wasn't even aware such a thing was on the table. now if i want my say as someone who didn't meet the qualifications for this vote, i need to scramble to construct an argument in this thread without knowing whether or not half the people involved have already cast their unchangeable votes on the topic. you haven't constructed a reasonable forum for open discussion of a dugtrio suspect at all.

On top of this, it is not like there are threads for discussion on many other votes for old generations, I feel like your expectations of the past generation tiering system are unrealistic. The system for past generation tiering decisions have always been exclusive, drawing on qualifications from all BW (or other generations, see: DPP Sand Veil for example of this) tournaments.
that's because there aren't many other other votes for old generations. the only old gens tier that has carried out discussion in policy review that prompted votes about banning pokemon over the last several years is bw ou. there are some clauses attempting to resolve generally minor issues people have proposed, yes, but all those had discussion threads about them and many were less contentious than banning pokemon from an old gen. you're claiming that there's some precedent in old gens for suspecting stuff the way you're suspecting it now, but there really isn't much of one at all.
There is currently no infrastructure to support completely democratic suspect tests and it is not exactly realistic to expect one given the nature of old generation playerbases/tournaments/participation.
i'm not advocating for completely democratic suspect tests. i think preventing some unqualified players from voting is ideal. all i want is a less exclusive suspect testing process where more users get to voice their opinions beforehand and more users have the opportunity to vote.
There is ample precedent across Smogon for non-democratic tiering (UU defaults to council decisions for certain votes, every tier has the option for preliminary quick bans, etc.), so I do not see it being an issue here, too, especially considering the relatively small playerbase and sample sizes of past generation metagames relative to newer generation metagames.
yes, there's ample precedent on smogon for completely non-democratic tiering, but not for non-democratic, retroactive old gens tiering. when you deny a sizable number of players a vote in a past gen, it's much more serious than a preliminary quick ban or a tiering decision in one of a current gen's lower tiers. the current generation is more malleable than past gens — council members change, bans are more likely to be reconsidered, the tier isn't quite settled yet. In the current gen, the general playerbase may not have the capacity to make the correct decision for the tier, because there's a much more legitimate case that fewer people understand it well enough to do so. in bw, everything you suspect retroactively goes against the implicit assumption among a very experienced playerbase in a slowly aging metagame that those things were okay enough in the tier to not warrant a suspect test in the first place. tiering decisions in old gens also are much less likely to be reconsidered and possibly overturned later; they hold more permanence. now, i'm not saying we should never suspect things in bw ou or other old gens — just that current gen tiering and retroactive tiering are too different for current gen tiering to create a non-democratic precedent that applies well to old gen tiering.
Those are beyond outdated and I posted recently in an attempt to revive them saying that Dugtrio, Ninetales, and other related Pokemon should move up significantly. That post can be found here and if you are going to use this thread as a source, then perhaps you should be up to date with it yourself, too.
oh, i've been paying attention to the bw vr thread. i paid enough attention to notice that you only nominated it for a rank, when i said it probably wouldn't ever find a place in a+ rank in my initial post (let alone s, which i know in some tiers is at least a prerequisite for the possibility of something getting suspected). i also noticed that there weren't many posts supporting that, nor was there very much other discussion about dugtrio rising at all. should dugtrio rise significantly? yes, probably, and a number of users that liked your post may agree with that specific nomination. nothing you said here, however, invalidates my original statement (which was really more of a passing comment than an argument in the first place) that it isn't likely ever to get to share the same rank as many other pokemon that are very dominant forces in the metagame.
You want to know what holds weight? The aforementioned exit survey that was sent out to SPL players, in which over half of the respondents said that Dugtrio was suspect worthy and/or banworthy.
i mean, i'd like to believe that holds weight. certainly it doesn't seem like awful criteria to factor in the opinions of some of the tier's ostensible best players. but what about everyone else? just because a player went positive in spl or didn't get subbed out for 5 games doesn't mean they're more qualified than all the rest of the playerbase to make such a serious tiering decision. there were lots of people in spl with great knowledge of bw who didn't play the tier that much in the tour. there are lots of people who didn't make the draft who are well-informed about the tier's current state and deserve a say in this matter. as i said before, your criteria for what constitutes a competent voter here is simply too narrow.
As a council, we value recency. The metagame is still actively played and changing, as clearly shown by recent high-level tournament matches, and we don't believe people should qualify solely based on legacy (i.e: tournament games played in the same tier, but a very different metagame fairly long ago).
i never said people should qualify based on legacy or knowledge of less current bw metagames. this really feels more like a strawman than anything else.
excluding actual council members from having an auto-vote -- I am not voting in this test and the same can be said for Jirachee, Eo Ut Mortus, and M Dragon, who are all members of the council. While we may all be competent in BW OU and informed enough to vote, we did not meet the criteria, so it would not be fair for us to vote when others earned it throughout recent tournaments.
i feel like this illustrates one of my earlier points pretty nicely, actually. you all are
competent in BW OU and informed enough to vote
so you should all get to vote. half of you didn't even really have a chance to make the criteria because you managed in spl instead of playing. why potentially skew the vote by omitting the opinions of people like you four with insanely deep understanding of the tier just because you didn't play bw ou much/at all in spl? i don't think this vote is something you should earn through two recent tournaments.
Assuming you mean the OP of the BW OU VR,
no, i meant the op of this dugtrio vote thread. putting literally anything in this op to justify why this action is being taken now would help people unfamiliar with the bw ou metagame better understand your decision and equip them with better tools to argue for/against it in this thread. it also would've avoided offending players like me who felt like they were getting smacked with something out of nowhere that they weren't considered qualified enough to be privy to.
As for the other side of the coin -- the burden of having to explain why we are voting on Dugtrio, that ties back in with the exit survey that we had with SPL players.
the exit survey that nobody except the bw ou council knew the results of before today doesn't constitute a valid explanation of your course of action to the entire community. i'm assuming you didn't notify the survey's participants that you were definitely planning to suspect dugtrio, either, based on their responses, so that doesn't even constitute a valid explanation to them.
However, you can also add in the fact that whenever it was brought up on Discord, especially in public chats such as the Smogon Tournaments server, Dugtrio was clearly seen as controversial and the BW council tended to echo these sentiments in our own personal assessments of the situation, making this vote more than warranted.
okay, but i still felt blindsided by this. i'm not active in the channels where this sort of thing is often discussed, as i'm sure many people reading this thread aren't, so that still isn't enough of a justification for posting this thread with so little context on smogon for it.
I think that these tests almost have to be "elitest" in a sense to be effective/properly representative.
i think a suspect test can't be effective without properly representing its tier's community. also, this suspect test has such strict limitations on who can vote that i strongly disagree that it properly represents the bw player base. therefore, this suspect test isn't effective. you're picking a minority of bw players to represent a majority of them, a minority chosen based on very narrow criteria and a nebulous definition of "recency". this may sound similar to the way most suspect tests are carried out with ladders — a competent minority carrying out decisions that affect the majority. there are two key differences between this and other suspect tests, though. first, the requirements for other suspect tests are far less strict; far more people can qualify for the ability to vote. secondly, people are (at least mostly) aware of the requirements for these suspects before they happen. perhaps if i had known dugtrio would be suspected ahead of time and that i could only vote if i did well in smogon tour or spl, i would have tried harder to get picked up in spl and carved out time on my weekends specifically for playing smogon tour. but i didn't even have that opportunity. this extreme exclusion definitely feels elitist, and every negative connotation that word has is in this case justified.
There will be future opportunities for the larger playerbase to participate in tiering decisions with the advent of the BW circuit, too.
this sounds like it could be a step in the right direction, though. can you tell me more about it? of what will this circuit consist? who all will get to vote because of it?

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
On voter pool:

First of all, the intent behind these votes has always been to cater to those playing the tier in an official Smogon capacity. When BW was the current gen, this included both the ladder and official tournaments; in the absence of an active ladder, it's now only tournaments. This is why the BW council's responsibilities were formerly delegated to the TDs. If you played BW in some other capacity, then sorry, but no system ever existed under which you were entitled to voting rights.

The decision to limit qualifications to the most recent two tournament phases was motivated by the constant fluctuation of the metagame. The SPL metagame now is much different than from last year; I guarantee you that many players got away without considering Dugtrio in their teambuilding. You claim that "legacy players" is a strawman, but I'm not sure what criteria you would have us use to assess voters who were unable to qualify through recent tournament achievement, if not by a history of past achievements—in other words, their legacy. You suggested no alternative qualification method, so what else were we to assume? In any case, subjectively judging criteria is something we deliberately sought to reduce by adopting this system.

Regarding tournament selection: right now, we draw from a mix of exclusive, selection-based tournaments (WCoP and SPL) and general non-selection tournaments (Tour x2, Classic), with at least one of each per phase, meaning that people who opt to manage or play different tiers in SPL/WCoP can still participate through general entry in Tour. As Finch alluded to in his post, the RoA team is currently in the process of implementing an old gens circuit. Until the details are fully fleshed out, we cannot say how we plan to draw voters from that playerbase, but we hope to incorporate it as an additional, more inclusive voting qualifier.

On forewarning and qualification opportunities:

No old generation suspect test has ever notified its playerbase in advance of the requirements for voting. In every case, the suspect was decided, and the voters drawn from past BW tournaments. This was the case when we voted on Excadrill a few months ago; the only thing that has changed is the period from which we are drawing voters. Assuming we stick with this system, this is actually the only vote that won't have its methods of qualification published well in advance; it is now explicitly clear that performance in any official BW tournament will earn the right to participation in an exit survey and potential vote in the suspect period immediately following, and a vote in the suspect period following that. The fact that these tournaments are being used to determine qualifications, though, is well-precedented and should not have come as a surprise.

As for the suspect itself, we are telling you now. This is your time to pose any Dugtrio-related arguments should you have them, and that was always the intention. We couldn't say anything earlier because we did not know for certain if there would be a Dugtrio suspect until we compiled the results of the exit survey, and we didn't solicit opinions from the general playerbase regarding a suspect test because the intention was to always base it on the feedback of the SPL qualifiers, as mentioned in the thread about the exit survey. Again, this is on the basis that the most active players should have the largest say.

Overall, our aim is not to stifle discussion or discourage greater community involvement, but the previous method of waiting around for people to make their cases about suspects in PR threads was unstructured, overly subjective, and excessively influenced by posting attrition and policy theater. It wasn't actually a democratic process, only the false pretense of one, and I'm not sorry to see it go. That said, it's what we had to work with, so there will be growing pains in transitioning to something with more structure, but I'm hopeful that we can adjust to relevant feedback and ultimately end up with a process that can stabilize BW effectively and quickly.

Hi! I don't mean to derail the discussion going on above, but I was wondering why Dugtrio is being suspected and not Arena Trap. In both the SM and ORAS suspect votes regarding the same issue it was Arena Trap that was on the chopping block, not just Dugtrio. The following snippets are taken from the SM and ORAS posts I referred to above.

While we previously suspected Dugtrio, Arena Trap is the subject of this suspect test. The OU Council elected to suspect Arena Trap because this ability enables the act of trapping, which Dugtrio itself executes, as explained above. We believe that this element may not have a place in the SM OU metagame and could thus be banworthy. It is true that Dugtrio is the only user of Arena Trap in the current metagame, but there is reasonable cause to believe that Arena Trap could be deemed banworthy on any half-decent Pokemon that would receive it.
In order to fully examine Arena Trap's place in the current metagame, we must look into the practical utility it provides the various teams Dugtrio is used on. Many believe that Arena Trap itself possesses one of the greatest aids to stall teams: the ability to trap would-be stallbreakers and threats to common defensive cores. For example, stall teams can get rid of problematic Pokemon such as Heatran and Tyranitar, making teams incapable of defeating the remaining members of teams Dugtrio finds itself on. Moreover, gauging if the trapping has a competitive place in the ORAS OU metagame should be one of the determining factors behind votes. As for why Arena Trap and not Dugtrio itself, the reasoning is the same as the SM OU Arena Trap test and this will also grant consistency in the tiering policy if the result of the test happens to be in favor of a ban.

Is there a reason why Diglett and Trapinch are protected in favor of consistency in tiering policy? It's worth noting that Diglett is capable of trapping Dugtrio targets like Heatran and Tyranitar in BW, too.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Hi! I don't mean to derail the discussion going on above, but I was wondering why Dugtrio is being suspected and not Arena Trap. In both the SM and ORAS suspect votes regarding the same issue it was Arena Trap that was on the chopping block, not just Dugtrio. The following snippets are taken from the SM and ORAS posts I referred to above.

Is there a reason why Diglett and Trapinch are protected in favor of consistency in tiering policy? It's worth noting that Diglett is capable of trapping Dugtrio targets like Heatran and Tyranitar in BW, too.
Personally, I wanted the subject of the suspect test to be Arena Trap, too. However, it appeared that I was in the vocal minority and after discussing, we agreed upon Dugtrio, which is a fine solution for the time being.

With this said, one noteworthy difference (that was sited within our conversation) between the situations in SM/ORAS and the situation in BW is the fact that Shadow Tag is allowed. It is hard to justify banning Arena Trap while having Shadow Tag still in the tier if there is only one currently viable abuser of Arena Trap in the metagame. Anything beyond banning just Dugtrio implies that we are making a decision based on theory as the principle aspect of banning Arena Trap, more or less, goes out the window considering an ability that is always better or at very least on par with it is still allowed, in Shadow Tag. We discussed these points pretty extensively and I would be glad to share some specifics in a back-and-forth that Eo and I had if need be.

While I prefer the practical convenience of banning Arena Trap to prevent any future potential Diglett shenanigans myself, too, it is also a general principle of tiering to focus on the current metagame and tier that appropriately, worrying about future consequence if and when it arises. Therefore, we will have to resort to handling this in the future as opposed to the present as it comes up, especially seeing as our exit survey was filled with mentions of Dugtrio and only has one mention of Arena Trap.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Also, I am an idiot and decided to tag people in hide tags in the OP, so they did not get notified. So I will retag everyone -- normally, I would simply do it for those who have not voted yet, but I do not want to disclose the identity of anyone who has voted so far in order to not compromise the vote at all (remember: you have until the 4th at 11:59pm GMT-4). Sorry for the unnecessary notification to everyone who has already voted and thank you for voting!

Voters:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I guess my confusion is why is dugtrio the issue being voted on and not excadrill and/or some aspect of excadrill? Excadrill just had a thread in pr and was pretty contentious, that seems more worthy of a vote than on a mon that seemingly has been ok up until this most recent spl.

Not that duggy probably isn't broken, because it probably is in a vacuum (as is goth just not used), but I think it would make more sense to address the "bigger" problem first to see how that affects things rather than something that is just now an issue, reminiscent of reuni and alaka a few years ago.

Unless you guys are thinking of holding multiple votes here in the coming weeks, or after classic?

Edit: guess I totally missed a vote even happened in that thread that's my bad, still probably worth another look post spl tho

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
excadrill was voted on very recently and the result was no ban. it'd be very problematic to hold a new vote immediately afterwards in an attempt to "correct" the prior result. that's not to say that there won't be any more votes on excadrill in the future, but for the time being dugtrio is the focus

since this seems to be a discussion thread now, I may as well remind people that the sorts of teams exca has rendered obsolete can actually handle most dugtrio sun teams with minimal modifications and that the rise of sun came in large part as a response to the advent of excadrill rain. now that dug is gone and we can't counter-cheese our way past exca, we'll be back to square 1 soon enough

at which point we can conduct another vote that prohibits people from voting to ban exca above all else, because we care about sand rush clause nitpicking more than banning broken things

Lavos

Banned deucer.
For those who didn't know, Jayde's vote to ban Excadrill was submitted 16 minutes late. If he'd sent it before the deadline, the problem he bemoans would no longer exist. So while I agree with your sentiment, it's also rather self-imposed.

While some of the complaints about narrow voter criteria are warranted, bear in mind that it's far simpler to qualify people based on objective recent tournament accomplishments than any other metric. I think everyone here wants the maximum amount of intelligent, active, informed voters possible to be able to weigh in on this decision, but beyond a hard statistic that can be pointed to, all the council has to go on is argument and hearsay. In order for them to make a concrete list, boundaries have to be established, and the current ones seem fine to me. In GSC we chose to include WCoP/Classic results in our criteria and open up Special Applications for the SleepTrap vote, mostly due to GSC's minimal playerbase and lack of official tournament representation. For BW, a far "bigger" tier, setting higer limits makes sense. It's also important to recognize that these criteria are meant to be extended across the BW Council's foreseeable future, which makes these initial complaints come as no surprise. If the standards to vote still come off as draconian, that's too bad for you. This isn't the current generation - not just any ladder random can stumble into qualifying for a suspect vote or two. In fact, I can confidently say that if you aren't in the top brass of any given old gen, your odds of voting in future suspects are extremely low, and that's how it should be when making major decisions like this.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Posting this on behalf of elodin, though mine and his concerns with this test are very similar regardless.
elodin said:
I think there are pressing issues regarding this suspect that are not being talked about or addressed by the BW OU Council as of now. The intention of this post is to bring them to the table and hopefully change the minds of the people behind this situation.

1) The timing of the suspect

I think it's rather odd that this suspect is being held right before BW Cup and Smogon Tour 25. With a list of 20 voters and only a handful of games to be taken as sample - considering the entirity of SPL 9 only had 50 games of BW OU, and Dugtrio was only used in 10 of those -, I wonder why this suspect is being held right now instead of after major BW tournaments that are currently underway. These tournaments would provide a much bigger and more relevant sample size of games to evaluate the metagame's current state, instead of the few games we have from SPL. When asked about this, council member @Eo Ut Mortus said:

[5:28 PM] eOut: I dunno, I think several months is reasonably adequte

But in reality several months of SPL represent many fewer games compared to 1 or 2 months of BW Cup + Smogon Tour. This suspect should definitely be held after BW Cup or Smogon Tour 25 regular season ends.

2) The voters and the selection process

I think the 20 voters that were chosen are very much inclined to banning Dugtrio compared to other suspects we've had in the past. I believe this is a major factor considering they haven't had time to see how the metagame develops, and therefore are currently under the impression that Dugtrio's influence is much more relevant than it actually is. This leads me to believe that this suspect has biased voters and that the BW Council is also biased regarding the selection process of said voters, considering most users in the council are pro-ban and they're choosing not to wait for the metagame to develop more because they know these voters are more likely to ban Dugtrio now than in the near future.

3) The tiering decision itself

Regardless of each one's opinions of Dugtrio's state in the metagame, it is an undeniable fact that this ban is only an attempt to remedy the current awful state that the BW tier is in. This, however, is not due to Dugtrio's presence, but due to the overwhelming presence of permanent weather in the tier, which resulted in multiple unnecessary suspects and pretty much shaped the BW tier to be the way it is now. Dugtrio, Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, Sand Veil, and Swift Swim are all suspects / tiering decisions that overcomplicate the BW tierlist for unknown reasons, because not one of these would be banned if permanent weather abilities weren't allowed. Now while I do agree it might be too late to implement such a drastic change to an old metagame, I don't agree we should be implementing even more policies to attempt to repair an already ruined metagame. Either address permanent weather and actually fix the metagame or stop trying to fix it by making unreasonable and small damage control attempts.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
First and foremost, I want to preface this with something that just about everyone on the outside, completely understandably, overlooks. The Old Generation Councils were formed fairly recently and there are no set-in-stone guidelines or systems for us to adopt in practice. While we do have a handful of what I would like to consider to be experienced and reasonable users, it is not exactly easy for any group of users to craft a system to tier past generations. This is not only territory that Smogon has never previously tinkered with on a formal, council-based level, but it is also not entirely similar to anything involving new generation tiering seeing as there are clear differences in playerbases, inclusion in tournaments, metagame development, etc. Moreover, for any old generations that still are fairly active in their evolution, which happens to very much be BW at the moment, the process of optimizing the tiering system should be expected to largely be imperfect and often be trial-and-error aided by the lead of our insights and opinions as a council. For our system to work over time and progressively improve, we need feedback like that in this and many other threads, but we also need to be understanding of this and less immediately critical of things we do not agree on -- especially those that are not fundamentally wrong.

Over the past few days, I have engaged in somewhat extensive discussions in the BW council channel and have came up with a few personal ideas to help improve matters. These include having on-going, open discussion threads for each tier so that suspects and council ideas can be communicated or at least somewhat expected while letting us get community feedback, community ideas, and anything else needed, too. Another idea would be expanding the BW council from 5 to 7 members as it is clear this tier has a larger playerbase and number of potential issues than other, more dormant older generations. I have yet to discuss potentially implementing either at length, but I will after Dugtrio is handled and I do not plan to stop until old generation tiering is optimized, but that also includes an element of community understanding!

The above should address most complaints on a fundamental level about councils and on a specific level about the BW tests thus far tbh, but also applies to some here outside of the timeline of the suspect (or inherently on-going ones about the existence of old generation tiering to begin with, which is a larger issue and should not be discussed at a fundamental level in an individual vote/suspect thread to begin with) seeing as the subject, Dugtrio, we have discussed a ton in prior posts in this thread!

As for the timeline, I'm going to break it down as a lot of people have been proposing things on Discord or in general that simply are not possible or are clearly much less ideal than our current vote timing. Let's start off by taking a look at the major tournament schedule for 2018:
Smogon Premier League IX - January 1, 2018
Official Smogon Tournament XIV - January 15, 2018
Smogon Tour XXV - March 16, 2018
Smogon Classic IV - March 26, 2018
World Cup of Pokemon XIII - May 28, 2018
Grand Slam VII - June 25, 2018
Official Ladder Tournament V - July 9, 2018
Smogon Tour XXVI - August 24, 2018
Smogon Grand Prix II - September 10, 2018
Smogon Premier League X - January 7, 2019
If we don't do it now, there is no time after STour and/or BW Cup that will give sufficient time before WCOP/not overlap with WCOP, especially given complaints we fielded about the Excadrill test which was like a month prior to SPL that it was too close, which very well may have influenced the vote itself, so the proposal to do it in like 2 months or so is not going to happen.

This leads me to another point that, imo, should be fairly clear, but it appears some other users do not agree, so I will state how I feel here -- SPL is the single biggest tournament in terms of metagame development and it is the most telling in what we are looking at, with WCOP and Smogon Tour being the next two (WCOP for similar reasons as SPL, but the level of play being slightly more varied and STour tends to show a lot of trends and exploits when BW tours come around, such as last weekend, which is nice to see things in perspective and watch a lot of different users making use of relevant strategies to discussion). As a council, we should make sure the metagame is as balanced/competitive/playable as possible coming into these tournaments and we should also try to have a set metagame going into team tournaments (for those wondering, this is also something that SM tiering councils try to consider to an extent, too, so that is actually precedented unlike some other old generation tiering specific matters).

The fact of the matter is that the emphasis on team tournaments for old gen councils is a realistic thing and it should be taken seriously. We just came out of an SPL and asked players what they thought about the metagame and a clear majority called for a Dugtrio suspect, we had not looked at Dugtrio previously, and the members of the council favored a test. Sure, Dugtrio's time being prominent in the tier was a bit limited, but when you look at the nature of Dugtrio, a Pokemon that traps things with Arena Trap (can elaborate on why this is problematic if need be) and has been deemed uncompetitive and banworthy for the same reasons as here in two other OU metagames recently, even if it trends downward or a couple more alleys of counterplay to Sun teams arise (they have admittedly been popping up more and more over time, but it still makes the tier a bit of a calculated rock-paper-scissors fest in my eyes if one party isn't particularly afraid to cheese, especially in a live tour setting such as STour this past weekend). We have the vast majority of a Smogon Tour season and WCOP right around the corner, the council created this vote with legitimate reason behind it and majority support of the playerbase of the current metagame, and we do not have any other time to do this before the upcoming WCOP. For all practical intents and purposes, this is the right time to do it. I am still open to discussing more official, formalized timeline options and some more consistency in the processes of old generation tiering moving forward, but I do not see a reason to stop the current test as it stands.

Last edited:
I personally dont have a problem with the criteria to qualify to vote being based on tournament success. What I do however disagree with is exclusive tournaments like SPL being included in such a way since there is no direct connection between playing 5 games of BW in SPL and being good at BW. Additionally those who werent granted an invitation to SPL have an inherit disadvantage in qualifying for a vote and are not necessarily worse at said metagame.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I personally dont have a problem with the criteria to qualify to vote being based on tournament success. What I do however disagree with is exclusive tournaments like SPL being included in such a way since there is no direct connection between playing 5 games of BW in SPL and being good at BW. Additionally those who werent granted an invitation to SPL have an inherit disadvantage in qualifying for a vote and are not necessarily worse at said metagame.
A stark difference between old generation tiering and new generation tiering is that the latter is much more played in a ladder setting and has a more active playerbase outside of big tournaments. That cannot be said about tiers like BW OU to even close to the same extent, thus making us resort to tournament results as the sole qualifiers.

SPL is the highest level of BW play on Smogon and obviously inclusive fields are stronger than those that anyone can join in on. Personally, I think that removing them or eventual WCOP qualifiers would be ridiculous. Sure, this isn’t inherently “fair” to everyone — to put it bluntly, the purpose of this vote and being fair to the entire forum’s playerbase are two vastly different things. We, as in the old generation councils, are here to cater to the tournament metagames for old generations and what we are doing accomplishes this specifically better than any more inclusive, compromising alternative that may involve not using our best tournaments in the qualifying.

—-

We just reached a clear majority and results will be posted soon, by the way.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Ban: Mounts, Frania, SoulWind, McMeghan, FLCL, reyscarface, Posho, dice, BKC, ZoroDark (10)
Do Not Ban: Elodin, LuckOverSkill, Souf, blunder, Teclis, Celysi (6)
Remaining Voters: Smurf., Shoka, Ojama (3)

Note: 19 total voters, 10 needed on either side to assure majority

Dugtrio is now banned from BW OU! Thank you to everyone for participating in the vote and expect to hear from the BW Council moving forward on some procedural/structural matters as well as potential future tiering discussions.

Although I agree with the OP about consistency (at least within a single tier if nothing else), I think there actually is a strong case to go back and review the recent BW2 OU Dugtrio test.

There's been a lot of talk about how this vote was handled, and I believe that many of the issues raised were never fully addressed, at least not publicly. For example, the voter pool consisting of only SPL 9 and Smogon Tour 24 participants was to ensure that only active players would get to vote, however, not only did this result in a terribly low number of players, but even worse, it showed that the test itself was being based off just a few months of Dugtrio being relevant. A few months would be questionable for a current gen tier, let alone an old gen.

In these few months, BW2 OU was only played in two official tournaments. SPL is the biggest tour on Smogon but it is also only 10-15 people playing a combined 48 games over a three-month period. This isn't even necessarily the best 10-15 because many top BW2 players were slotted elsewhere or didn't participate at all. Do you have many of these players building and testing, too? Yes, but they didn't get to vote, and therefore, their opinions on Dugtrio were deemed irrelevant. Smogon Tour is a good combination of high quality and high numbers, but Dugtrio was only used once in the entirety of playoffs that season (and it didn't even win). No stats exist for regular season, either. When old gen councils were formed, I highly doubt that the expectation was for them to instantly react to every potential problem that arises. In the time since the last SM OU test, which was held as recently as last September, we've had two different Pokemon tested in BW2 OU. That's pretty concerning.

Another major issue is the relation between the vote and the SPL exit survey. Literally just one week after polling a group of people about their opinions on Dugtrio, a suspect is called on it with the majority of voters being the exact same people polled. It's not like acting based on the desires of the community at large, as only a very small handful of people got to voice their opinion. Given that the Council were the ones choosing who voted and they elected to choose very few people outside of this survey, they essentially knew how most of the test would play out before it even happened. Unsurprisingly, the ban percentage was higher amongst the players in the SPL survey than it was amongst the others. This might not seem like a huge problem, but consider that frequent tests are frowned upon because it gives the impression that a Council is trying to get a specific result. By making the survey they could see how the vote would pan out without actually making it official, and if it looked like Dugtrio wouldn't get banned, they could hold off until World Cup and do the same thing with a new voter pool. This process could continue until a pro-ban voter pool was found. It also makes the decision to only add one other tournament (Smogon Tour 24) to the pool even more dubious.

Originally I was going to leave this because these things alone weren't worth making a lengthy post about. Then I saw what was said in this thread. Specifically, "BW OU - 10/19 No percentage specified in the OP". Not specifying the percentage is a pretty bad mistake to make for any test. Not specifying the percentage when you're lowering the required majority needed is outright shocking. The 50% +1 requirement is pretty terrible in general, and that it was used with no warning whatsoever makes it appear that at best, this test was needlessly rushed, and at worst, was outright biased in favour of banning Dugtrio. How are we even to know that the 50% +1 majority was there from the start? How do we know it wasn't intended to be 60% but was changed once the vote turned out to be closer than expected? As unlikely as that all seems (and I don't personally believe it to be true), it's yet another problem with an overall deeply flawed suspect.

I firmly believe that these things would never be allowed to stand if the Pokemon up for debate didn't have such a negative reputation. I mean, we've all been told many times that we can't get tests for other influential Pokemon such as Garchomp and Latios, so that alone says something. But even if we could, it would be done with a lot less haste than this. The reaction to the banning of one of these would certainly be different, too. Look at all the people, including the voters, who have openly stated that the process of this test was flawed but they don't care because it resulted in Dugtrio getting banned. Even if we did reach the "right" result in the end, the way we reached it should not be accepted. Yes, there's no perfect way of testing in old gens, but there should be more effort to ensure impartiality and maintain consistency.

I have no strong opinion on whether or not Dugtrio should be banned. I do, however, strongly feel that this test should either be redone or that a second test that allows the result to be overturned gets held in the near future. Not because I want Dugtrio unbanned, but rather, because I want the result to be legitimate and absolute. Regardless of your stance on Dugtrio, I hope you share this feeling. Also, make it Arena Trap and Shadow Tag instead of Dugtrio please @_@

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
First off, the vote's result is staying -- the majority of BW council stands by it. While our process (and the process of old generation tiering as a whole) is still being worked on, we do not plan to nullify this, or any other, result of our tests thus far. It is also worth noting that dice is now a member of the BW council.

We are working on a lot of things internally and have an agenda moving forward with the old generation councils in order to make things the best we can, but there is still a lot to be done and seeing as we are working in uncharted territory, there is obviously lots of room for potential trouble to arise -- we are hoping to minimize this and work to sort any tiering issues that arise in the future. I expand on this more in the first paragraph of my post here.

Although I agree with the OP about consistency (at least within a single tier if nothing else), I think there actually is a strong case to go back and review the recent BW2 OU Dugtrio test.

There's been a lot of talk about how this vote was handled, and I believe that many of the issues raised were never fully addressed, at least not publicly. For example, the voter pool consisting of only SPL 9 and Smogon Tour 24 participants was to ensure that only active players would get to vote, however, not only did this result in a terribly low number of players, but even worse, it showed that the test itself was being based off just a few months of Dugtrio being relevant. A few months would be questionable for a current gen tier, let alone an old gen.

In these few months, BW2 OU was only played in two official tournaments. SPL is the biggest tour on Smogon but it is also only 10-15 people playing a combined 48 games over a three-month period. This isn't even necessarily the best 10-15 because many top BW2 players were slotted elsewhere or didn't participate at all. Do you have many of these players building and testing, too? Yes, but they didn't get to vote, and therefore, their opinions on Dugtrio were deemed irrelevant. Smogon Tour is a good combination of high quality and high numbers, but Dugtrio was only used once in the entirety of playoffs that season (and it didn't even win). No stats exist for regular season, either. When old gen councils were formed, I highly doubt that the expectation was for them to instantly react to every potential problem that arises. In the time since the last SM OU test, which was held as recently as last September, we've had two different Pokemon tested in BW2 OU. That's pretty concerning.
You point out the voter pool being "terribly low" and Dugtrio being relevant for "just a few months" as apparent major cons of the test, but I do not agree with this evaluation whatsoever.

First off, there has never been much higher quantities of voters in old generation tests. The (proper) Excadrill vote only had less than a half dozen more than this, even with special applications open. If you think that this is too small a quantity of voters, then feel free to voice that concern, but at least apply it properly and universally and not simply use it as a con for this specific test in order to prove a pointed argument. We are fine with working to construct our policy in a way to meet the beliefs of the community, but unless you want to null the vote of every test thus far, then I really cannot see how this point applies specifically here.

Second off, Dugtrio being in the tier for just a few months being used as a reason to keep it from being suspected in our modern tiering context strikes me as very questionable. The arguments behind Dugtrio (Arena Trap, specifically, but again I was in the minority on this being the subject, so we honed in on Dugtrio) being uncompetitive and banworthy apply from generation 6 and 7 to generation 5 as well. Sure, there are different practical applications, but this is far from a complex issue and Dugtrio is a Pokemon that fundamentally had no place in BW OU upon its rise to prominence as per already established, heavily subscribed to, and recently applied at an official level logic. Even if Dugtrio's usage dropped over cup or STour, which did not seem likely, but to give the benefit of the doubt, it would still be a presence that had no place in the metagame given what I explained above. There was nothing rushed about this and given recent events, the fact that we really had no other time to do it prior to WCOP (as I outline in the middle of my post here), and the fact that waiting served no practical purpose aside from including more people who could qualify, which I touched on above as something that shouldn't be a huge factor, we determined we had seen enough of Dugtrio to be confident that now was a time to act.

Another major issue is the relation between the vote and the SPL exit survey. Literally just one week after polling a group of people about their opinions on Dugtrio, a suspect is called on it with the majority of voters being the exact same people polled. It's not like acting based on the desires of the community at large, as only a very small handful of people got to voice their opinion. Given that the Council were the ones choosing who voted and they elected to choose very few people outside of this survey, they essentially knew how most of the test would play out before it even happened. Unsurprisingly, the ban percentage was higher amongst the players in the SPL survey than it was amongst the others. This might not seem like a huge problem, but consider that frequent tests are frowned upon because it gives the impression that a Council is trying to get a specific result. By making the survey they could see how the vote would pan out without actually making it official, and if it looked like Dugtrio wouldn't get banned, they could hold off until World Cup and do the same thing with a new voter pool. This process could continue until a pro-ban voter pool was found. It also makes the decision to only add one other tournament (Smogon Tour 24) to the pool even more dubious.
My response to this part centers around your thoughts on the exit survey-vote relationship as we already touched on the players involved and timeline above. I take major issue with what you imply throughout this portion, especially in the middle/later portion of it, as you ignore all of our attempts at transparency (including numerous posting citing the results of the test, a thread open to discussion about the exit survey, and practically nightly discussions in the SmogTour discord) and imply some underlying intent to assure that the seemingly inevitable vote results in a ban despite our attempts at making our process and the ramifications of the exit survey clear. Not only was there a proper place to voice concerns that heavily suggested our intent to use data from the survey to influence suspects, but that same place also was opened as discussion of the metagame/potential suspects and the active players that you alluded to had ample opportunity to discuss it (here), but nobody elected to. I suppose the only reasonable counter to this would be the timing that you mentioned -- only one week between essentially, to which I refer back to the post I hyperlinked in the last part of my response which outlined timing concerns, so the fact that there was still easily enough time to post or raise concerns accompanied by us being short on time due to the nature of the old generation official tournament circuit leaves me to wonder why this is being brought up now or why it is even crossing anyone's mind that the council was using this to push some potentially internally motivated agenda as opposed to what is best for the tier. Accusations like these undermine our tiering system as a whole and as someone who is part of three different tiering councils, I do not take them lightly and I would prefer if they were not utilized in theory, but rather only with sufficient supporting evidence.

Originally I was going to leave this because these things alone weren't worth making a lengthy post about. Then I saw what was said in this thread. Specifically, "BW OU - 10/19 No percentage specified in the OP". Not specifying the percentage is a pretty bad mistake to make for any test. Not specifying the percentage when you're lowering the required majority needed is outright shocking. The 50% +1 requirement is pretty terrible in general, and that it was used with no warning whatsoever makes it appear that at best, this test was needlessly rushed, and at worst, was outright biased in favour of banning Dugtrio. How are we even to know that the 50% +1 majority was there from the start? How do we know it wasn't intended to be 60% but was changed once the vote turned out to be closer than expected? As unlikely as that all seems (and I don't personally believe it to be true), it's yet another problem with an overall deeply flawed suspect.
This is the only concern you raise that I actually agree is quite concerning. The lack of specification was my fault -- I posted the OP a number of times and nobody seemed to raise a concern, but ultimately it was on me for missing out on this very relevant detail. With that said, multiple parts of what you said are not exactly correct. First off, the little bit on 10/19 is taken out of context and applied by you/the OP/numerous others incorrectly. The vote was 10/6 with 3 people not voting (Smurf and Shoka did not view forums during that span whereas Ojama did not wish to send me a PM, so he did not vote). 10 out of 16 is over 60%, which is the most used by any tier for majority to get something banned. We have discussing a uniform percentage for old generation tiering votes on our agenda and I think it is quite likely to be 60%, actually! Regardless, the initial (and later, but hard to compare b/c proper runoff) Excadrill vote used the 50%+1 and we did not discuss it a ton here specifically, so the option to continue it was implied (no clue where you are getting the lowering the required majority needed bit unless you are going back to the initial Exca/Chloro vote from 2015, which used 60%). I am very glad people, yourself specifically, brought this up as a concern and I am hoping to change to the optimal % moving forward, as I said, but it is not like the outcome of this test was impacted here, so this should not be an argument to nullify these results so much as something to improve moving forward, which I 100% agree with and will take very seriously alongside the other council members to do!

I do, however, strongly feel that this test should either be redone or that a second test that allows the result to be overturned gets held in the near future. Not because I want Dugtrio unbanned, but rather, because I want the result to be legitimate and absolute. Regardless of your stance on Dugtrio, I hope you share this feeling. Also, make it Arena Trap and Shadow Tag instead of Dugtrio please @_@
For what it is worth, we will be open to retests moving forward. If we believe this is called for by the playerbase or the best thing to do for the metagame, then we will act in order to make it happen.

I made a post asking to retest Dugtrio because of all the flaws present in the initial test. I wanted to point out both the obvious flaws and the things that I personally saw as potential issues, as well as why these flaws and issues have resulted in many members of the community perceiving the Council to have acted out of bias in their organisation of said test. The ultra-defensive response just posted, made more than a week after these concerns were raised (longer than the period of time between the exit poll and the suspect test fwiw), has not only failed to address said concerns, it's actually heightened them. Significantly I might add.

You point out the voter pool being "terribly low" and Dugtrio being relevant for "just a few months" as apparent major cons of the test, but I do not agree with this evaluation whatsoever.

First off, there has never been much higher quantities of voters in old generation tests. The (proper) Excadrill vote only had less than a half dozen more than this, even with special applications open. If you think that this is too small a quantity of voters, then feel free to voice that concern, but at least apply it properly and universally and not simply use it as a con for this specific test in order to prove a pointed argument. We are fine with working to construct our policy in a way to meet the beliefs of the community, but unless you want to null the vote of every test thus far, then I really cannot see how this point applies specifically here.
Half a dozen matters a lot more when only 16 people are voting. Besides, 20-25 is obviously too low for any test anyway. Why would anyone believe that a 50 or 60% majority vote of 20 people with no responsibility should be able to change a 7+ year old tier included in half the official tournaments on Smogon? I saw this as a bigger problem than for other tests mostly because of the other factors involved. Also because instead of working to address the issue of low voter numbers or even accepting it, you pushed through a vote that significantly reduced the numbers instead. I'm also not sure why you're using the Excadrill test as an argument in your favour here when said test was even more widely criticised than this one for its inadequate voter pool and overall questionable process.

Second off, Dugtrio being in the tier for just a few months being used as a reason to keep it from being suspected in our modern tiering context strikes me as very questionable. The arguments behind Dugtrio (Arena Trap, specifically, but again I was in the minority on this being the subject, so we honed in on Dugtrio) being uncompetitive and banworthy apply from generation 6 and 7 to generation 5 as well. Sure, there are different practical applications, but this is far from a complex issue and Dugtrio is a Pokemon that fundamentally had no place in BW OU upon its rise to prominence as per already established, heavily subscribed to, and recently applied at an official level logic. Even if Dugtrio's usage dropped over cup or STour, which did not seem likely, but to give the benefit of the doubt, it would still be a presence that had no place in the metagame given what I explained above. There was nothing rushed about this and given recent events, the fact that we really had no other time to do it prior to WCOP (as I outline in the middle of my post here), and the fact that waiting served no practical purpose aside from including more people who could qualify, which I touched on above as something that shouldn't be a huge factor, we determined we had seen enough of Dugtrio to be confident that now was a time to act.
The main accusations of bias against the Council are due to the belief that they streamlined the process because of the strength in their desire to see Dugtrio banned, and banned as soon as possible. In this passionate defensive post, you've just stated that you believe that Dugtrio is inherently unhealthy and that no change in usage or prominence in the metagame over the coming months or years will change that belief. Um, what? How is that supposed to dispel the idea that you acted out of bias? You've just said in your own words that you've "seen enough of Dugtrio to act" and that waiting wouldn't change anything but the voter pool (i.e. no potential metagame development will change your mind). You also said you "wanted it done before WCoP and there was no other time" ignoring the fact that the regular season of Smogon Tour 25 (what you base ST qualification off) ends well before World Cup starts. You're also directly implying that you based the timing of the test on an upcoming tournament instead of what would be most appropriate for the metagame to deal with the rise in relevancy of Dugtrio.

In other words, you quickened the process due to your resolute stance on Dugtrio and your desire to see it removed before an upcoming tournament. This is actually what people are accusing you of, and by posting this, you've basically confirmed that they're right.

My response to this part centers around your thoughts on the exit survey-vote relationship as we already touched on the players involved and timeline above. I take major issue with what you imply throughout this portion, especially in the middle/later portion of it, as you ignore all of our attempts at transparency (including numerous posting citing the results of the test, a thread open to discussion about the exit survey, and practically nightly discussions in the SmogTour discord) and imply some underlying intent to assure that the seemingly inevitable vote results in a ban despite our attempts at making our process and the ramifications of the exit survey clear. Not only was there a proper place to voice concerns that heavily suggested our intent to use data from the survey to influence suspects, but that same place also was opened as discussion of the metagame/potential suspects and the active players that you alluded to had ample opportunity to discuss it (here), but nobody elected to. I suppose the only reasonable counter to this would be the timing that you mentioned -- only one week between essentially, to which I refer back to the post I hyperlinked in the last part of my response which outlined timing concerns, so the fact that there was still easily enough time to post or raise concerns accompanied by us being short on time due to the nature of the old generation official tournament circuit leaves me to wonder why this is being brought up now or why it is even crossing anyone's mind that the council was using this to push some potentially internally motivated agenda as opposed to what is best for the tier. Accusations like these undermine our tiering system as a whole and as someone who is part of three different tiering councils, I do not take them lightly and I would prefer if they were not utilized in theory, but rather only with sufficient supporting evidence.
I wasn't trying to imply that you made the exit poll for that reason (still not, despite the problems listed in the paragraph above), just that the system you created would allow you (and future Councils) to do so should you want to. While you already have the power to outright ban things without the need of a suspect test, doing so leaves the responsibility firmly at your feet. However, the ability to create biased tests under the guise of impartiality is something else entirely. Polling the general playerbase to get an idea of their opinion is ordinarily fine. But when you're only polling a small number of specific people that would account for most of the voters in any vote you potentially hold, whether it's your intention or not, you are creating a scenario in which you can accurately predict how any vote will turn out. Since it's considered a problem to repeatedly suspect the same thing over and over, the circumstances regarding the exit poll and how it was used are dangerous, regardless of your actions or intentions.

As for discussion in the thread, it was a short OP designed to inform people of the exit poll. There was no mention of Dugtrio specifically, or that anything was going to actually be tested in the near future (just that something could). So what exactly was there to discuss? Especially on the anti-ban side, do you want someone to post a response to a thread that doesn't even mention Dugtrio that they think Dugtrio isn't broken and shouldn't get banned? If anything, can't this thread be used to show the general lack of interest in changing BW2 OU because no one voiced any concern about anything in the metagame? In reality, of course it shouldn't because the thread was seen as an announcement rather than as a venue of discussion. But if you are going to mention it, it's actually closer to a reason against testing it, not a reason for doing it.

This is the only concern you raise that I actually agree is quite concerning. The lack of specification was my fault -- I posted the OP a number of times and nobody seemed to raise a concern, but ultimately it was on me for missing out on this very relevant detail. With that said, multiple parts of what you said are not exactly correct. First off, the little bit on 10/19 is taken out of context and applied by you/the OP/numerous others incorrectly. The vote was 10/6 with 3 people not voting (Smurf and Shoka did not view forums during that span whereas Ojama did not wish to send me a PM, so he did not vote). 10 out of 16 is over 60%, which is the most used by any tier for majority to get something banned. We have discussing a uniform percentage for old generation tiering votes on our agenda and I think it is quite likely to be 60%, actually! Regardless, the initial (and later, but hard to compare b/c proper runoff) Excadrill vote used the 50%+1 and we did not discuss it a ton here specifically, so the option to continue it was implied (no clue where you are getting the lowering the required majority needed bit unless you are going back to the initial Exca/Chloro vote from 2015, which used 60%). I am very glad people, yourself specifically, brought this up as a concern and I am hoping to change to the optimal % moving forward, as I said, but it is not like the outcome of this test was impacted here, so this should not be an argument to nullify these results so much as something to improve moving forward, which I 100% agree with and will take very seriously alongside the other council members to do!
It's not really taken out of context because 10/16 wasn't the final result at the deadline of the test. You prematurely ended the test before the last three votes were cast due to you already reaching the unannounced 50% +1 ban requirement. The probability of them voting and preventing the 60% from being reached are obviously quite low, but there was still an outside chance of it happening. This is an issue only because the requirement wasn't announced and the more common (and initially expected) requirement was not officially reached. Also, the most recent Excadrill test was 50% +1 because it used a more complex voting format than that of other tests. The standard requirement in OU tiers is 60% and should probably be higher if anything. Regardless, the main issue with it being 50% isn't even lowering it so much as it is lowering without telling anyone.

Nothing being done about this simply because the playerbase prefers Dugtrio being banned is quite unfortunate. I just hope now that the same thing will apply to the five years of calls for weather-inducing abilities to be banned, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)