Gen 5 BW RU Jynx-Magneton-Lilligant Offense

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Hey, bet you haven't heard about this tier in an eternity. I've been working on a project with some players trying to give this format a bit of a resurgence, so this RMT will serve multiple purposes on my end. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

The Teambuilding Process
Let's begin with the teambuilding process. But first, a background: Gen 5 RU features a very offensive metagame with some pretty busted Pokemon all around. There were many controversial Pokemon at the time that only got better after the generation was over; Moltres, Durant (who was suspect tested multiple times) and Druddigon are considered to be very dominant. Given many Pokemon lack switch-ins (especially the Big 3 I mentioned just now), there is a lot of interplay rather than outright counterplay. Making a defensive team is considered to be very difficult. So with this in mind, you've likely come to the conclusion that offence VS offence is very common, and that's absolutely right!

:jynx:
I began building this team with Molk, and during the conversation, I found that Jynx and Tauros were very viable and that he thought they should well have risen to RU earlier. So, I began with these two. They're some of my favourite Pokemon, but they formed an interesting-looking offensive core. I would later remove Tauros due to it not fitting well on the final product. Jynx's very accurate Lovely Kiss is essentially a free KO in BW play, as sleep turns rest upon switching out. As a result, Jynx would be pivotal to my final team's success.

:magneton:
Durant, Escavalier and other Steel-types are very popular in Gen 5 RU. Remember, the type wasn't nerfed yet and they served as some of the only defences against the terrifying Druddigon. Given Jynx isn't exactly great at fighting Steel-types - not without hurting Speed IVs and taking up a moveslot with Hidden Power Fire anyway - Molk pointed out that Magneton is an amazing partner. By giving it a Choice Scarf, also helps deal with Moltres, who checks Jynx well.

:lilligant:
It's not a Magneton team without Lilligant. By using Magneton to deal with its Steel-type checks, Lilligant gets more free reign to setup. After a Quiver Dance, it can be very hard to stop once it gets going. Magneton also reduces the need for Hidden Power Fire on the set, letting me use Rock instead, thus beating out Moltres after a boost. Lilligant also beats down Alomomola really hard, who otherwise stonewalls Jynx. As a result, the main core is made.

:slowking:
Slowking is fantastic. One of the best Pokemon in the format since its inception, it's hard to deny the regenerating king of the tier a place on any team. Slowking deals with Moltres and Mesprit decently, provides pivoting utility through Regenerator, has Scald and recovery, and can spam Thunder Wave to give you speed control as well. It's excellent glue and I frankly would have a lot of problems without it on the team. However, it is quite slow, so I need to be careful when bringing the big lad in.

:aerodactyl:
When building a team, I never leave without a Ground-immune Pokemon, nor Taunt. I initially considered Flying Gem ~ Acrobatics Archeops, but my team needed something that could scout better and give more utility. Aerodactyl had all of these prior qualities, plus a combo I wanted to try out: Unnerve + Pursuit. Through this, Colbur Berry can't stop Aerodactyl's Pursuits, allowing it to exploit opponents being forced out, providing free chip and momentum across the game. I had some relevant targets too; Rotom, Jynx, Mesprit, Sigilyph, and Slowking trying to use Regenerator. All of these were threats to the team. Being able to beat up Entei with STAB Stone Edge is also super helpful, given Lilligant (before a boost) and Jynx struggle with it a bit.

:druddigon:
My team lacked Stealth Rock up until this point, as well as one of RU's apex predators. Can't leave home without either of those, so I went with Druddigon. This thing is yucky good, Sheer Force + Elemental Punches is an incredible combination for it to have, and it hits like a heavy-duty freight train. Its resistances also benefitted my team, keeping those Grass- and Electric-types away from Slowking. Thus, I could pivot between these two for interplay and to nail me a better position. So now I have a tank that sets those sneaky pebbles that can also scare off just about anything in the format.

So, let's move on to the team!

:bw/jynx:
Kay Faraday (Jynx) (F) @ Ice Gem
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psychic​
Jynx is pretty powerful, as I'd already said. Once something is put to sleep I can set up Nasty Plot for free, or try to kill a would-be switch-in with Ice Gem ~ Ice Beam. I need to make sure that the Steel-types are gone before trying this out though; otherwise, it's just worthless. The EV spread is standard, it's not like investing in bulk will help Jynx live anything anyway. Dry Skin is very helpful! It protects Aerodactyl from Scalds from Alomomola and Slowking while putting me in a perfect situation to try and get a Lovely Kiss in. Jynx can also make a good lead in some scenarios, and combined with my other Pokemon, this adds a good layer of ambiguity. I guess my Gen 1 habits never truly leave...

:bw/magneton:
Detective Gumshoe (Magneton) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]​
Without this lil guy, the team kind of folds to a bunch of staples. But it's here, so good for me! The premise is simple: trap a Steel-type, kill it. But, that's not all Magneton provides. With its resistances, Magneton is also good for pivoting in to try and gain momentum with Volt Switch. With a Choice Scarf, it outspeeds everything up to max Speed Aerodactyl. This includes relevant threats such as Sceptile, Moltres, Swellow and more. All of these are threatened by the presence of this Magneton. I seriously love using this thing. Trapping and KOing poor Durant and Escavelier users is some of the best one-sided fun I could ask for.

:bw/lilligant:
Franziska (Lilligant) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]​
My win con. Once a Steel-type is removed and Lilligant is given a favourable situation, it's curtains. After a Quiver Dance, Lilligant has no counters; only checks. The entire unboosted metagame folds to it, requiring Choice Scarf users such as Drapion to even hope to land a hit and cut the sweep off early. There's a reason this demon was suspect tested during the tier's lifespan: it's ridiculously good and would have been banned under today's tiering philosophy. Unfortunately, though, Lilligant does have flaws: the moveset here has the full extent of its coverage. Yup, Grass and a Hidden Power of your choice. Luckily, that's all it needs if it has the right support. Sleep Powder is filler here and kind of a contingency plan if Jynx fails. I'm not a massive fan of those though, so I'm considering replacing it with Heal Bell for more utility. I went with Lum Berry to shrug off potential Paralysis or Sleep when sweeping, which is the most common way of trying to bring the girl down to earth.

:bw/slowking:
Miles Edgeworth (Slowking) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave​
I love Slowking so much, man. This set is geared towards luring the Steel- and Grass-types of the format, killing them with Fire Blast on switch-in. This is important against Escavalier, who'll often try to OHKO with a Choice Band Pursuit. I don't use the EV spread to defend against that; instead, I use one designed to take two Moltres Hurricanes, as Magneton gives enough defence against these scenarios anyway. Thunder Wave is mostly filler but is amazing speed control this team can really use with: words cannot express the happiness it brings me when Sceptile gets paralyzed and then KO'd by Fire Blast. This is also some of the only defensive play my team has, which is important for picking apart the opponent's team to allow it to go on the offensive.

:bw/aerodactyl:
Raymond Shields (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Pursuit​
I designed this set myself since the formats I usually play don't actually have Pursuit available! It's worked out quite well for me, though. It's my main way of dispatching threats such as Sigilyph, Jynx, and Kabutops out of Rain. Taunt helps mess with Alomomola to allow me to position my team better; this is often how I get Jynx in, as it's completely safe in that scenario while forcing a switch. EdgeQuake coverage is also very nice and helps formulate the physical end of this team's offensive power. I like to lead Aerodactyl to screw with Stealth Rock users, as it can lead to a massive momentum loss for them. Sometimes they'll switch out, allowing for Pursuit chip, or I can get a switch-out for the price of £2. It's not completely free if they try to attack, people!

:bw/druddigon:
Tyrell Badd (Druddigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch​
Well, I needed some form of switch pressure, didn't I? Here's a modernized version of the Stealth Rock Druddigon you see on the strategy dex. That set is pretty outdated as you'll see in modern tournament replays, so I took it upon myself to get creative. By creative, I mean I swapped out Rough Skin for Sheer Force, slapped the Elemental Punches it learns over the coverage options, and called it hilarious and original. Unfortunately, we have a severe lack of Ice Punch so we're not quite hitting BoltBeam levels of euphoria but it's close enough. Anyway, the EV spread speed creeps the thiccc (with 3 cs, no more, no less) Base-50s without speed investment. So Regirock, Tangrowth, Hariyama and Piloswine. I can hit all of these except Regirock, who I should probably be Scalding with Slowking anyway. I cannot express enough how bloody hard this thing hits, it's actually unfair.

What, you want the team and think it's the coolest shit ever? Say no more, click here and be as privileged against bad Durant users as I am.
Don't want to click a link? Here's the raw text.
Kay Faraday (Jynx) (F) @ Ice Gem
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Detective Gumshoe (Magneton) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Franziska (Lilligant) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Miles Edgeworth (Slowking) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave

Raymond Shields (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Pursuit

Tyrell Badd (Druddigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch

G̢̧̡͍̹͔̭̙̫̤͎̖̦̪͇̻̓ͯ͌ͣͪ͐̓ͦ̏̓ͪ́̑̅̆̓͜ͅo̴̝̹̭͉͉͔̠̻͂̌͋ͦ̉́̅ͧ̏̅́ͫ͊̐̂͒ͬ͊̀͜͞d̷̢̛̟̪̯̥̤̹̫̮̞̫͆̉͛͛̿́́̒̋̇̄ͮ́̆̑̋͠ͅ ̴̧̡̗̝͙̘̖͉̖͍̅̓̌͊̓͒̇̎͂ͧ̈̿̓̇̿̇̇̕ͅl̡̢̛̲͕̮͍̟ͬͮͯ̈́͑̽̀͋́̆́̏̈͘͠ͅe͋͑ͯͯ͛̓͟͏͙͕̪͚͖̯̦̬̗̮ͅḟ̴̛̻͍͉ͮ̉̌́̑͛ͪͪͤ̌̐͋̃̀͞t̸̛̫͕̦͍̻̹͓̗ͦ͆ͬ́ͪͥͪͣ̄̎ͨ͒ͥͅ ̸̢̡͉͈̝̹̜̮̞̠̫͇͉̭͓̜̳̩͔̉͗͊ͩ͂͊ͣ͒ͦͮͯͬ̚͢m̸̧̯͙̮̥͎͚̭̼̘̯͖̫̖̠͖̼̠̣͑ͥͣ͐ͩ̽͆̊ͥ̓ͬ̂͐̀͝e̒͑ͨͨ̌ͩͨ̀͗ͭ͒͡͏̣̪͈̳̰̗̭̹͕̙̱̰̳̼̙̫̮͘ ̹̥̝̤͇͎̘̞̃̿͗ͫ̽̕͞u̷̧̲̮̟̝̜͚̹͚̤͔̭͓̻̤̫̙̍͐̑ͭ͑ͩͭ͋́͢ͅn̴̡͖̮̰̬͓͖̙̫̱̩̤̮͙͙̑͋̎ͮ̆̂̏̐̓f̸̡̢̯̟͎̝̫̬͕̤ͥͨ͑̉ͥͩ̀̾ͬ̋̋͂ͣ͒͟ͅî̡̢͎̯̗̘̗̳͕̬̖͐̎͆͌ͩ̽͋̈́͛̉͒͑͂̿̊̕͢ñ̷̵̶̨̗̣̗͎̱͔̻̺̮̜̹̫̬̠̹̻͚̙̐͆̏͐̽̔̆̍͂ͫ͑͘i̶̪̯͕̣̱̩̗̳̪̼̻̠̘͚ͮ̃͑ͭͬ̊̍̄̈́͒̏́́͜ŝ̴̨̛͍̪̼̰̞͔̭̣̜̈́͛ͯ̔̄ͤ̽ͨͮ͜ḩ̡͙̟̱͈̼̻̯̔̆̈́̅̍̋̄̕e̊̎̿̈́͌͗̚҉̼̙͚̤̟͕́d̢̳̹̯̙̹͉̯̱̹̱̫̹ͭͨ͋̎͘ͅ.̶͔̦̘͈̦͍̥͉͊ͨ͛̎̽ͧ̾ͮͥ̇ͩ͆:bw/durant:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)