BW Speculation Thread

Hello. We are not too far away from the release Black and White coming out later this year. With it being given an official release date of September 18th! With it, OU will be having a massive shift. This is a thread to speculate on the up and coming metagame, with the information we currently know. Be warned, there will obviously be spoilers in this post and thread. Though we don't have much pokemon released at this moment, we can speculate on how the metagame shifts.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Lol the leak thread for this gen was funny. There was somebody dropping legitimate leaks, but only of like the outlines of pokemon because he didn't have any screenshots or official artwork, just of what he could remember. I distinctly remember people "debunking" his Venipede outline because he had forgotten the back legs, so everyone blew him off as a fake leaker after that point for a while until his early Jellicent (?) leak was proven to be real.

Also, was this the gen with the Swimming Goggles? Something about Water-types couldn't be put to sleep lol

Hello. We
Hello. We are not too far away from the release Black and White coming out later this year. With it being given an official release date of September 18th! With it, OU will be having a massive shift. This is a thread to speculate on the up and coming metagame, with the information we currently know. Be warned, there will obviously be spoilers in this post and thread. Though we don't have much pokemon released at this moment, we can speculate on how the metagame shifts
are Hello. We are not too far away from the release Black and White coming out later this year. With it being given an official release date of September 18th! With it, OU will be having a massive shift. This is a thread to speculate on the up and coming metagame, with the information we currently know. Be warned, there will obviously be spoilers in this post and thread. Though we don't have much pokemon released at this moment, we can speculate on how the metagame shifts
not too far away from the release Black and White coming out later this year. With it being given an official release date of September 18th! With it, OU will be having a massive shift. This is a thread to speculate on the up and coming metagame, with the information we currently know. Be warned, there will obviously be spoilers in this post and thread. Though we don't have much pokemon released at this moment, we can speculate on how the metagame shifts.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see Evolution Stone Slowbro being a massive threat. It gets reliable recovery in Slack Off, can set up Calm Mind on defensive Pokemon, burn physical "counters" like Tyranitar with Boiling Water, and roast Natorei with Fire Blast. It also gets Regeneration from the Dreamworld.

Speaking of DW, do you guys think we should make a separate metagame where all DW abilities are released? We can dedicate a portion of the forum to writing articles and analyses for it, but instead of including it in C&C, it can be it's own thing with little support outside its playerbase. Unfortunately when all the abilities inevitably get released, the DW metagame will be made irrelevant and we can bury the DW hub, nuke the sub forum, and remove all of the site staff and forum mod badges without even giving alum badges in their place. Seems like a dickish thing to do but luckily we have brave pedants like Great Sage on staff to pull the trigger.

Finally, we need. To talk. About Afro Bust. How about that name? Seems kind of racist.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
This is really truly a great thread. As well as the fact that the posts are funny, this thread prompted me to go back and read all the old Smogon forum posts from this era. I'm very glad I did that, because doing it is incredibly entertaining.

I highly recommend doing some exploring of your own! It's way too fun to skip out on. You might know about a few sources I don't - on other websites and other forums - but it seems to me that the good stuff is on the now closed:
Gen 5 Competitive Discussion Forum

Click on page 14 to see the oldest threads and just have fun. There might be some names you'll recognize in there too!

Also, I recommend reading the Announcements Thread. It's very helpful to have a timeline in your head to know what people were thinking when they made a post.

Keep in mind throughout all of this that for quite a while the game was only out in Japan, not America (because that's what Nintendo does...). Because of this, people refer to the mons using Romanized Japanese.
To figure out what mon a person is talking about, look up 'Romanized Japanese Name pokemon' on Google. You should see a Bulbapedia page with that name, which will then redirect you to the English version of that Pokemon.

Here are a few of the specific posts and general ideas that were most entertaining for me to read. By the way, I'm not passing any judgement on people's predictions. As many people were right as were wrong. I'm only pointing out these posts in specific because I think that they're most interesting when looking back with a 'we're on the 8th generation now' eye.

In this thread, Deck Knight perfectly identifies the potential of scald. It seems that the majority opinion was that 'boiling water' was good, but Deck Knight gets the credit because he made the thread.
Also, user StealthX predicted the English name of the move!

'R.I.P. Leads and Scouting' reveals how incredibly divisive team preview was. Seriously. The first words of the first 4 replies to this thread are:
1) Yeah, I like this,​
2) Oh Yes. I like this. Very Much​
3) Well, this sucks.​
4) I hate this.​
There are some very well thought out, but very heated, opinions about the addition of team preview. The main argument in favor seems to be that the rising power level necessitated some information about your opponents strategy. The main argument against seems to be that it invalidates skills such as guessing your opponents unrevealed mons and predicting around that.

A lot of people thought Chandelure was getting banned to ubers in this one. They were right about it getting banned - but wrong about the tier it got banned from. Today, Chandelure is UUBL (at least in BW2, I'm not entirely sure about in BW1).
From the OP of that same thread, R.B.G. says that "Hydreigon is ... the new non-Pursuit weak Latias". Not exactly!
But it does seems that R.B.G was one of the few people talking about Ferrothorn. One of the premier defensive mons (to this day) was a bit overlooked at the start.

Very intersting poll result. Kind of gives insight into how worried people were about the sheer power level of guys like Haxorus.

People were pretty good at identifying the fact that weather was very important. You don't necessarily need to have been clairvoyant to see that, but threads like this one and this one are cool to read.

From this post you can infer a bit more about weather. It seems like despite the fact that there were people complaining about it, no-one really cared about playing what was essentially a pet mod where there was no weather. I don't know if that's because the pet mod just wasn't OU, or if it was because the majority of people had no negative emotions towards weather, but either way it's interesting to see.

People actually talked about triples battles! If I saw someone mentioning one now I would think they were dreaming.

That was a wall of text but still wasn't close to encompassing all the cool things I read in the old forums. If you read everything I just wrote, then you would probably enjoy clicking on the spoiler and exploring more yourself.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
'R.I.P. Leads and Scouting' reveals how incredibly divisive team preview was. Seriously. The first words of the first 4 replies to this thread are:
1) Yeah, I like this,​
2) Oh Yes. I like this. Very Much​
3) Well, this sucks.​
4) I hate this.​
There are some very well thought out, but very heated, opinions about the addition of team preview. The main argument in favor seems to be that the rising power level necessitated some information about your opponents strategy. The main argument against seems to be that it invalidates skills such as guessing your opponents unrevealed mons and predicting around that.
1605550918106.png

1605550926537.png

Bro that Dragon is gonna be so OP it has Dragon Dance AND 147 Attack. How is that not busted?
salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence salamence

it's the new trend along with garchomp
and i want to say, i think vileplume with its evo stone is too op ban it now!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)