LC Cacnea (QC 2/2) (GP 1/1)

The mighty cactus! This is my first one, be gentle.

[OVERVIEW]
Being able to reach an impressive 19 Attack and having access to both Swords Dance and Sucker Punch help Cacnea carve out a nice spot as a niche offensive attacker. Cacnea is limited in that it is not very bulky even with Eviolite help, and its greatest asset, Sucker Punch, is also its greatest hindrance in that Cacnea relies heavily on it to be of any use because of its lackluster Speed stat.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Drain Punch / Thunder Punch
item: Eviolite
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Jolly
evs: 236 Atk / 116 Def / 156 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
This set aims to set up a Swords Dance wherever Cacnea finds an opportunity and sweep or punch holes in the opposing team with its strong boosted Attack stat. Unfortunately, Cacnea is outpaced by a healthy portion of the metagame, and, with its low defensive stats, it is easily picked off by priority or faster opponents. Snivy is usually a better option for an offensive Grass-Type. as it doesn't require a turn to set up and is faster.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[alan, 43880]]
- Quality checked by: [[Fiend,208173], [Merritt, 213064]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Frostration, 447027]]

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see that you mention Treecko several times, which is pretty mediocre since it implies Treecko is somewhat viable. You should fix that implication.
[OVERVIEW]
Although at first glance Cacnea's above average attack stats might seem alluring when coupled with it's its wide movepool and Water immunity, one quickly finds that Cacnea is an epitome of a glass cannon. Snivy and or even Treecko are more reliable sweepers, and Cacnea has to rely on a predictable non-STAB Sucker Punch to make up for it's its sluggish speed.

[SET]
move 3: Bullet Seed / Seed Bomb
move 4: Drain Punch / Poison Jab / Thunder Punch
item: Life Orb
evs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Bullet Seed is not legal with Water Absorb.
I think you have too many slashes on this set as is; Poison Jab doesn't look too helpful to me, so I think that should be removed.

[SET COMMENTS]
This set aims to set up a Swords Dance wherever Cacnea finds an opportunity and sweep or punch holes in the opposing team with it's its strong boosted attack stat. Unfortunately it is outpaced by a healthy portion of the metagame and with it's its low defensive stats it is easily picked off to priority or faster opponents. Snivy or Treecko are usually better options for an offensive grass-type as they aren't walled completely by Foongus.
The last sentence isn't really truthful, and I think it would be more impactful to merely say Snivy manages to be more viable choices because of its greater speed and not needing a turn to set up among other helpful traits.

I'll stamp for qc after you implement this since there is a few things to add here. Tag me on discord when you're done please!

e: QC: 1/2

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Discussed on discord.

[SET]
nature: Adamant

[OVERVIEW]
Explicitly state that it is access to Swords Dance and Sucker Punch off Cacnea's high Attack that make it appealing. Explain that Cacnea's low speed and relatively poor bulk keep it from use, since Sucker Punch can only do so much. Wouldn't suggest mentioning its Water-type immunity, it's not that big.

[SET COMMENTS]
This is alright.

[CREDITS]
good

2/2

frostration

i probably have a headache
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove | [RC = remove comma] [AC = add comma]
[OVERVIEW]
Being able to reach an impressive 19 attack Attack and having access to both Swords Dance and Sucker Punch help Cacnea carve out a nice spot as a niche offensive attacker. Cacnea is limited in that it is not very bulky [RC] even with Eviolite help, [AC] and it's its greatest asset, Sucker Punch, is also it's its greatest hindrance in that it Cacnea relies heavily on it to be of any use do it's because of its lackluster speed Speed stat.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
This set aims to set up a Swords Dance wherever Cacnea finds an opportunity and sweep or punch holes in the opposing team with its strong boosted attack Attack stat. Unfortunately, [AC] it is outpaced by a healthy portion of the metagame, [AC] and, [AC] with its low defensive stats. [AC] it is easily picked off to by priority or faster opponents. Snivy is usually a better option for an offensive grass-type as Grass-type, as it doesn't require a turn to set up and is faster.
GP 1/1
frostration-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)