SM UU Cage The Elephant - Mega Steelix Balance (500th Post)

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Intro

Hello everyone! For those who don't know me, I am Drew. It has been quite a bit of time since I posted my last RMT. I've been spending this year focusing on my progress as a player. I was drafted for my first UUPL this year which was a great experience that helped broaden my knowledge and skills in team building. I never really get the chance to take a team and tweak it and analyze it over a longer period of time. With USUM UU coming to a close and Mega evolution's leaving the tier, I wanted to make an RMT showcasing a very underrated Pokemon, Mega Steelix. Also, as my 500th post and small milestone in my competitive career it seems fitting to post an RMT. Thanks to vivalospride who looked over this team and gave me worthwhile and helpful tips and suggestions.

Normally RMT's are used in tournaments like UUPL and UU Open but I got caught at an awkward time being knocked out of Open early. Majors is in a month or so however that doesn't line up with my 500th post. With a number of potential suspects this team may become outdated or require some changes so I thought it was a good time to post this now. It was difficult finding some high level friendlies versus some seasoned tournament players to showcase the team so I had to stick with ladder.

The Team

Trouble (Steelix-Mega) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 28 Def / 120 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

I have always viewed Mega Steelix as one of the tier's best Stealth Rock setters. While many Mega Steelix variants run offensive spreads with Curse and Gyro Ball, I have always favored specially defensive spreads which allow it to switch in to threats like Latias, Togekiss, and Nihilego more comfortably. Mega Steelix carries most of its utility in its ability to compress three essential roles of UU teams (Stealth Rock setter, Steel-, and Ground-types) in one Pokemon, as well as check prominent UU threats like Calm Mind Latias, Swords Dance U-Turn Scizor, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, and even gives Choice Band Terrakion grief by making it think before clicking Stone Edge. What has always kept Mega Steelix from stardom is its lack of reliable recovery and its inability to check prominent Volt Switch-users like Mega Manectric and Rotom-Heat outside of a risky 50/50 play. Stone Edge is a rarely seen move on Mega Steelix which allows it to lure in Moltres and Rotom Heat as opposed to just using Toxic or having a Rock-type to fall back on. Stone Edge does compromise Mega Steelix' ability to cripple Swampert, Quagsire, Alomomola and other bulky Pokemon not immune to Toxic. I am not a fan of very offensively invested Mega Steelix as you can accomplish a lot with just 100 Attack EVs; such as OHKO Rotom-Heat with Stone Edge after 2 switch ins to Stealth Rock, 2HKO Celebi, Hydreigon and Blissey, and have a chance to 2HKO Amoonguss and Defensive Primarina with Heavy Slam after Stealth Rock.

Shake Me Down (Suicune) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

- Scald

Suicune serves as a win con that caters to the more passive nature of the team. With the ability to soak up Scalds, Toxics, and Earthquakes from the bulky Ground- and Water-types that abuse Mega Steelix, Suicune is the perfect sweeper. Suicune switches in versus such Pokemon as Gligar, Hippowdon, and Tentacruel absolutely for free. Suicune checks Scizor more reliably than Amoonguss and Mega Steelix as Amoonguss loses to Bugium Z and +2 Life Orb Bug Bite and Mega Steelix loses to Super Power variants. Suicune benefits from Mega Steelix checking Calm Mind Latias and Refresh Dragon Dance Mega Altaria who take advantage of opposing Suicune's.

Cold Cold Cold (Kyurem) @ Leftovers / Metronome
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Earth Power

- Roost

Although double Pressure is neat to build around, that wasn't the main purpose of Kyurem. Kyurem takes pressure, no pun intended, off of Suicune by being a check to Mega Manectric and Rotom-Heat while also pressuring Togekiss and Celebi. Kyurem forces in Fairy-types like Primarina, Sylveon and Florges and other specially defensive walls like Blissey and Empoleon, all of which, save specs Primarina, are set up fodder for Suicune. Kyurem as Pokemon has very few switch-ins and can wreak havoc on unprepared teams on its own.

Social Cues (Amoonguss) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 80 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog

Amoonguss fits this team perfectly relieving pressure from Mega Steelix by pivoting in to sponge hits it can't take. It is a consistent Fighting- and Fairy-type check providing a consistent switch in to Terrakion, Primarina, and Krookodile. In addition to Regenerator allowing the Amoonguss to take the pressure of Scizor from Mega Steelix, Amoonguss also provides the team with a tad more safety from VoltTurn. Sludge Bomb allows Amoonguss to do more damage to potential switch ins like Dragon-types. Clear Smog isn't as necessary because the Suicune match-up is solid, however Mega Slowbro with Calm Mind and Psyshock hard counters the team if you don't have Clear Smog. 12 speed EVs is meant to speed creep the people who go above and beyond 4 to 8 speed.

Halo (Togekiss) @ Leftovers / Charti Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell / Thunder Wave
- Roost

- Defog

Albeit a lackluster Defog user, Togekiss gave the team what it needed. As a Fairy-type and cleric, Togekiss provided a consistent switch-in to Hydreigon as well as support for Suicune, Kyurem, and Amoonguss by removing status and thereby giving the team longevity. The team has an excellent match-up versus Rock- and Steel-types making Togekiss a good choice as it Defogs on most Stealth Rock setters. Togekiss still carries some offensive utility being able to flinch and, if you choose to run Thunder Wave, inhibit opposing threats like Terrakion, Nihilego, and Mega Aerodactyl. Togekiss fits the passive nature of the team and strips away neither the purpose or functionality of the team. Unconventional but fitting.

Cigarette Daydreams (Infernape) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat

- Gunk Shot

Last but not least, Infernape acts as the teams main speed control and revenge killer. Infernape OHKO's two of the teams of the teams threats, Celebi and Cobalion while allowing Kyurem free turns off of U-Turn. Speed control used to be Hydreigon on other versions but Hydreigon made Kyurem redundant and did not force in anything that Kyurem could set up on. Infernape on the other hand gives Kyurem opportunities.

Threats

Celebi - As a Grass-type and the most consistent answer to Suicune, Celebi is definitely a threat. It has the ability to OHKO Togekiss with Psychium Z regardless of Stealth Rocks and outspeeds Kyurem. The team does have ways around it. At +0 with no Z move Celebi does not OHKO Amoonguss taking 49.2-58.6% from Sludge Bomb, Infernape pressures it on a free switch with U-Turn, and Mega Steelix eats a +2 Giga Drain with a 10% chance to live 2 and returns 49.5-58.9% with Heavy Slam.

VoltTurn - Rotom Heat and Mega Manectric pressure this team, and although Kyurem provides a measure of security, Volt Switch is still essentially free. Amoonguss has the ability to stomach one Over Heat from both while a Kyurem behind a Substitute and a Suicune with a couple of Calm Minds under its belt have the ability to 1v1 this Pokemon with ease, save a crit in Suicune's case. Mega Steelix can also deal with both, if you are feeling risky, as Stone Edge does 60-70% and Earthquake has 56% chance to OHKO Mega Manectric after Stealth Rocks.

Terrakion - Choice Band and Rockium Z variants can be quite threatening for the team. Kyurem can deal a chunk with Earth Power behind a Substitute, Togekiss can Thunder Wave it, and Infernape can force it out. But if Terrakion gets to +2 uncontested then it's time to pick a sack or bait out Z move and put it to sleep.

Moltres - There is no Moltres switch in on this team. Mega Steelix baits it in very well with Stone Edge. Kyurem out-speeds and can PP stall Moltres while Suicune can Calm Mind and hope for no Confusions or crits.

Offensive Ghosts - Like Moltres, this team has no switch ins to Gengar and Chandelure because there is no Ghost resist. Defensively, however, Suicune can set up on anything but Taunt Gengar.

Conclusion

This team has gone through 6 versions, including the last one. All of them I enjoyed using. The addition of Kyurem gave a more secure matchup against Mega Manectric and Rotom-Heat while also giving the team an offensive answer to Togekiss. The team became more weak to Offensive Ghosts because of the removal of Hydreigon and maintained its weakness to Moltres. The final version, however, better supported Suicune better. Both Mega Steelix and Kyurem support Suicune both offensively and defensively while Infernape gives Kyurem opportunities to put in work. This was a fun team to use and create, I hope you enjoy!

I have never been a fan of what is standard or using the norm. With my teams I usually try to use an underrated set or innovate. Of all the teams I've made and all Pokemon I have built around I have most enjoyed using Mega Steelix. Obviously not the poster child for the UU tier but certainly not a face that should be forgotten. I have come a long since I first began UU and I have enjoyed my time. Whether this team is good or not is a mystery but I have had success and enjoyed using it. I hope my writing has progressed and this RMT was enjoyable or interesting to read. :toast:

Kink - My manager, tutor, mentor, and friend. Thanking you in less than 10 pages would be a crime. You've done a lot for me and I am grateful. I enjoy talking about Pokemon and life with you and know I will have you as a pal years from now.

'sei. - You probably won't check Smogon for a while but if you do, read this. As the first person I ever spoke to on Showdown, I owe you a lot of thanks for taking me under your arm and helping me out. You're a wise and great friend and I hope you keep in touch in your busy life.

Sage - You're also not around and I really hope you come back. You were a great UU tutor and always fun to talk to. You're a loyal and amazing friend and I really hope your life is great and you come back to UU when things calm down.

Accelgor - I was considering not including you in this because you whoop my ass in Smash every time we play. :fukyu: Jokes aside I have never met a more positive and kind person. You've helped me progress a lot as a player and have always been a great friend and role model who I can talk to about anything.

CBU - I am glad you made a return to Smogon friend. It's always great to chat with you. Even though you think Cobalion and Infernape are garbage you're still a UU legend and a nice guy :P

yeezyknows - x.x I'm sure you can fill in the gaps, you're a great dude.

Scizorphobic SacredLatias InfernoDolphin73 Codedlyoko - My wonderful tutees. Thanks for making my job as a tutor easy. You're all very nice people and I hope that you continue to play UU and improve.

Paste

Last edited:
Hi tutor! Thanks for the mention, it was a privilege to be able to learn from such a person! With the team, it was so solid I had to look at it for a long time to find any proper changes. But I tried my best to improve this build and fare better against matchups you have trouble against.

Major Changes:

7D7BB3A1-0275-4BBB-838B-5F00F3CDD176.gif ———> 1212EE5E-624D-440F-B501-AEB1DA73957F.gif

This was a tough change, but Hydreigon seemed to have a better spot on this team. I decided to make this roost taunt to help the MU vs stall and at the same time be able to resist volt switches, check non-Dgleam Celebi, and check Chandelure. Taunt Hydreigon is also great on this as it can serve as a late game Win-Con versus teams that don’t resist Dark Pulse after the faster threats have been removed, and Z attacks from Hydreigon hurt ALOT.

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

B1F3025C-77C0-4D8E-89E8-D29306EDBEC6.gif———>
30F17539-9FA8-48A1-8B83-92E3641F1B4C.gif

Suicune just isn’t a reliable Scizor imo. You have to rely on that 30% burn chance, or else Scizor with +2 LO/Z will seriously, and will have a chance to OHKO Suicune with Z or if not BP next turn. With Volcanion is a different story, because you it can Quad resist Scizor’s BP and OHKO it back with a flamethrower or even a Sub for long term purposes. Volcanion doesn’t struggle against Amoonguss as much either as it can Sub on spore and avoid other forms of status from other Pokemon.

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Substitute

———>

This was another change that I thought would be necessary, this team right now really doesn’t like Mega Manetric aside from Hydreigon checking it and Infernape. Also, Togekiss isn’t really fit as now the team needs a better way to reliably get off hazards. Florges would will in that role, as its nice SpDef can sponge hits from Powerful Special Attacks making it reliably come in on threats like Moltres. Florges also doesn’t take 1/4 from rocks, thus further increasing its reliability as a fogger. Florges still has the cleric role for the team as well.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Defog

That was it! I tried my best to help out and give some better matchups to the threat list that you mentioned but also keeping the similar roles within the Pokemon. I hope you enjoy these changes! And thank you for being a great tutor :)

Paste: https://pokepast.es/44491f45630f918f

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)