Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Astral Barrage
- Expanding Force / Psyshock
- Substitute / Encore
- Protect

Clocking in as the fastest restricted Pokemon with the third highest Special Attack in the entire metagame, Calyrex-S is both fast and furious in VGC Series 10. Its ridiculously strong Astral Barrage gives it a spread attack capable of dealing over 50% to most unresisted hits at any time, including bulky restricted Pokemon like Zacian-C and Xerneas. Its Psychic-type STAB move of choice is also great for pressuring the likes of Eternatus, Amoonguss, and Nihilego. Thanks to As One, Calyrex-S can snowball very fast, as even Incineroar won't like taking an Astral Barrage from a +2 Calyrex-S. It also makes excellent use of utility moves like Substitute and Encore to punish passive plays like switching and using Protect or Wide Guard to block Calyrex-S's barrage. One of its biggest strengths in the current metagame is its ability to fit on a variety of team styles, with hyper offense builds featuring Mienshao, Tapu Lele, and Whimsicott aiming to steamroll the opponent with a lightning-fast assault, and balance teams with Rillaboom, Incineroar, and Regieleki playing a slow, pivot-based game until foes are in range for Calyrex-S's Astral Barrage to end the game on the spot.

Replay from Smogon VGC Premier League: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series10-1383902915

Last edited:

yuki

Huh? Me? Not this time...
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Quality as usual zee.

A couple things here:
"...including bulky restricteds like Zacian-C and Xerneas." - I think we should go with "restricted Pokemon"
" One of its biggest strenghts..." - You don't need me to say anything.
Mention the Psychic STAB being relevant: securing an OHKO onto Amoonguss is fun.
The fact we haven't said "It makes your opponent boos" or something along those lines as both a ghost pun and the fact it says boos makes me extremely upset.
Under no circumstances should we be mentioning Fast and Furious...

I think that's about everything, QC 1/1
raineko-QC-small.gif

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove
Calyrex-Shadow @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Astral Barrage
- Expanding Force / Psyshock
- Substitute / Encore
- Protect

Clocking in as the fastest restricted Pokemon with the third highest Special Attack in the entire metagame, Calyrex-S is both fast and furious in VGC Series 10. Its ridiculously strong Astral Barrage gives it a spread attack capable of dealing over 50% to most unresisted hits at any time, including bulky restricted Pokemon like Zacian-C and Xerneas. Its Psychic-type STAB move of choice is also great for pressuring the likes of Eternatus, Amoonguss, and Nihilego. Thanks to As One, Calyrex-S can snowball very fast, as even Incineroar won't like taking an Astral Barrage from a +2 Calyrex-S. It also makes excellent use of utility moves like Substitute and Encore to punish passive plays like switching and using Protect or Wide Guard to block Calyrex-S's barrage. One of its biggest strengths in the current metagame is its ability to fit on a variety of team styles, with hyper offense builds featuring Mienshao, Tapu Lele, and Whimsicott aiming to steamroll the opponent with a lightning-fast assault, and balanced teams with Rillaboom, Incineroar, and Regieleki playing a slow, pivot-based game until things foes are in range for Calyrex-S's Astral Barrage to end the game on the spot.

Replay from Smogon VGC Premier League: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series10-1383902915
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)