CAP 12 CAP 1 - Part 3 -(Secondary Type Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It is time to complete the typing process for CAP1 by choosing a secondary type. The type we choose will determine which Pokemon CAP1 will switch into best, and the quality of its offensive STABs, among other things. The types that may be chosen are Steel, Fighting or Water. This will be a Bold Vote. The details of how a bold vote works can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/cap/process/process_rules . Please choose one type, and only one type. The primary typing of CAP1 is Flying, and the concept is:

Concept: Momentum
General Description: This will be a Pokemon that can be utilized to gain or regain momentum for a player's team at any point in the match as its primary function.
Justification: Gen. 5 is a very powerful metagame. As such, most battles are won by the smarter strategist who can best maneuver around his/her opponent's onslaught to gain even a single turn's advantage, potentially clinching them the match. This process of gaining and regaining momentum is most often the defining element that makes a winner and a loser out of a single Pokemon battle. Any top player in this metagame should agree that momentum is the most crucial element in any given match; however, "momentum" itself is a rather vaguely defined term that is never really explored in concrete terms. Is it keeping opposing teams on the defensive? Forcing switches? Good prediction? Spamming U-turn? These have all been approaches to achieving momentum, but they are also player-side and largely synonymous with "strategy," as opposed to Pokemon-side and regarding a Pokemon's role on the team. Certainly there are threats like Ferrothorn/Gliscor (defensive) and Scizor/Latios/Voltlos, etc., etc. (offensive) that can achieve momentum as we know it, but there is no current niche for a "momentum Pokemon" because the concept has been purely delegated to players and not to Pokemon.
Questions to be Answered:
-How do we define momentum in terms of competitive Pokemon? What factors make current Pokemon able to achieve momentum and how can we incorporate that information into a successful CAP?
-How do different styles of play (Weather-based offense, stall, bulky offense, etc.) use momentum to achieve their goals and how can our CAP play to those strategies in an effort to take their momentum away?
-What type of traditional role (sweeper, tank, wall, support) would a Pokemon like this most resemble? Would it have to be able to fit more than one of these roles to fit in a variety of teams?
-How will the different playstyles be affected by the addition of a Pokemon that can regain offensive/defensive momentum at any given point? Will offensive teams play more conservatively? Will defensive teams play more recklessly? Will everything simply adapt to a new threat and move on normally?
This poll will remain open for 24 hours. Choose wisely!

Metal Man will rock your shit
YOU'RE HIT
Don't you forget it, bitch
Throw a sawblade into your face
Let's face it. You will taste my razor bladez!

Umm, whatever. You're the first boss, bitch
I don't even need a special power to take your shit
Yea, you're right. I'm no big deal
One shot with my arm cannon, your power's a "Steel"

DEAD

Steel

I'm pretty sure any non-steel flying type will suck as a momentum poke, unless you fix it with broken stats.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Damn, the discussion thread was locked just as I was about to post... oh well.

Fighting

While this typing comes with a string of perks in terms of Stealth Rock neutrality and greater resistances to Pursuit and U-turn, personally I feel that the most powerful reason to use this typing over any other is simply the strength of offensive coverage it provides. That’s not necessarily a good thing, but I’d like to view this in both lights. On the one hand, it means that this CAP can afford to invest more on a defensive stat spread, while trusting to pure coverage rather than offensive ability to present a threat to the opponent. Nothing but Rotom, Zapdos, and whatnot can switch in safely. On the other hand, this has a real potential to go wrong.

This is the single most threatening typing available from an offensive standpoint. This, of course, can be a good or a bad thing. The unpredictability of the typing means that it has very few safe switch-ins. While this is a useful way of putting the opponent on the back foot through constant pressure, in a way that the other type combinations cannot, it also makes it far less easy to predict the opponent’s movements. If your Pokemon is unpredictable, then your opponent will be similarly unpredictable.

So, when it comes down to it, the reason that I picked Fighting is simply because it presents the greatest threat to the opponent, and crucially, can do so in almost any situation. I leave it up to the remainder of the CAP process to determine how we balance this raw power against the rest of the Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)