CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your pencil ready; it's time to draw.

A "Final Art Submission" will consist of two things - a "Main Design" and "Supporting Material". A Main Design is the only required element of a Final Art Submission, Supporting Material is optional.

Our CAP so far:
DougJustDoug said:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.
The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate
Typing: Fighting/Dark

Main Design

The Main Design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing ingame pokemon. The Main Design is the definitive design for a given pokemon and should be suitable for display in the CAP Pokedex section of the upcoming CAP Website, and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the pokemon is needed. As such, the design should be "plain" -- a basic rendering of the pokemon itself, with no extra frills or artistic embellishment. The comparison to "Official Pokemon Art" is only applicable to the basic content of the Main Design; it does not imply ANY standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:

• It must be a single pose of a single pokemon. No other pokemon can be included for any reason. Only one pose rendering is allowed in the picture.
  • It must consist of the pokemon on a plain white background. No additional background detail or settings may be included. No additional background colors or patterns are allowed.
  • The entire pokemon must be in full view, and no part of the pokemon can be cropped or obscured by any design elements other than parts of the pokemon itself.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the pokemon. If a prop is part of the pokemon's basic design (ie Farfetch'd Stick), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D full color digital or traditional media may be used. 3D media are not allowed.
  • It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background.
  • It must be no larger than 640 pixels on either axis, no smaller than 320 pixels on either axis, and must be in a compressed digital format. Uncompressed bitmaps and/or high-resolution images are not allowed.
  • It must be a digital rendering or a scan of a traditional drawing. No camera pictures are allowed.
  • It must be an original artwork by the person making the submission. Lifts, swipes, copies, or alterations of other artists' work are not allowed.
The rules for Main Designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to ingame pokemon designs or to past CAP designs, in order to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some ingame Pokemon designs and past CAP designs are NOT CONFORMANT with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

While the rules for the Main Design are somewhat rigid -- there are almost no rules when it comes to Supporting Material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other pokemon, animations, sculptures, cartoon strips -- anything goes! Also non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc.

All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art, in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a Final Submission Post in order to be considered for the Art Poll. The post must be titled "Final Submission". The post should have the Main Design at the top, and Supporting Material (if applicable) below it. All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150x150. Do not include full images of supporting art in the Final Submission.

Only make ONE Final Submission Post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your Final Submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any delete + repost will be treated as bumping, and subject to moderation.

General Posting Rules

• Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork, in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion. But, it must be related to an original art design by the poster.

• Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork. There are more specific rules listed below, but this rule serves as a catch-all for anyone that attempts to circumvent the exact rules mentioned below. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Some artists don't realize that they are "crowding out" other submissions by spamming the thread. Whatever the reason -- don't do it, or you will be moderated.

• No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640 pixels on either axis. If an artist wishes to post art in excess of the 800x800 limit, they should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if the sum of the thumbnails exceeds 800 pixels. Linked art can be of any size.

• Do not make multiple art posts over a short period of time. If you do so, it will be moderated as an attempt to circumvent the art size limits mentioned above.

• Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. If you have made a significant change, and have not posted art recently -- feel free to post an update to the thread. But, insignificant changes will be moderated as an attempt to spam the thread with your art.

• All posted art must be in a compressed digital format. Uncompressed bitmaps or high-resolution images will be deleted.

• No art submissions should be modified by others without the explicit permission of the original artists.

• Using other submissions as "inspiration" for an original artwork is allowed. However, "stealing" of designs is prohibited.

• Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose. If you aren't going to post an actual design, then don't tell us that you are "working on it".

• No bumping or begging. If your design received little attention or commentary, don't bump it. Even worse, don't make a post begging for feedback. There are PLENTY of eyes viewing every post in the thread. If your design is any good, people WILL comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. The silence IS the feedback. Take the hint.

• No posting of design ideas in search of an artist. This is an art submission thread, not an idea submission thread. If you can't draw, then don't post your idea. If you really want to see your idea submitted, then commission an artist and ask them to post it. But don't solicit artists here.

• No posting of art or pictures intended to "give ideas" to artists to draw a design. This includes pictures of real life animals, character artwork from other games, or even Pokemon artwork. It spams up the thread and detracts from the original art submissions. It is acceptable for artists making a submission to post their inspirational references as part of their Supporting Material.

• Do not declare any artwork as "the winner", "is clearly going to win", or similar. It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.

• Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted, and leads to never-ending bitching and bickering. We don't care if it is "just your opinion" -- it's a bullshit comment. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine -- just say that. But don't reference some mythical Pokemon style rules as "reasoning" for your opinion. It serves no purpose other than to troll the thread.

• Do not post that a design "looks like a Digimon". It's a cheap shot, and you know it. See rule above.

• Do not post questions asking for help in making a submission. If you don't know how to draw, ink, color, scan, save, compress, crop, thumbnail, or link an artwork -- don't ask for help here. This isn't a tutorial thread. By the way -- Google is your friend.

• Do not ask when this thread will close. CAP threads do not follow a set timetable. If you want to know the overall sequence of events in a CAP, to get an idea of how long you have to submit a design -- then go to the CAP website and read the process guide. It's pretty easy to see the art poll coming up in relation to the other threads in the project.

Knock yourselves out artists!

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Oh man... I want to enter this too, but there's way too much on my plate at the moment, especially since I can only be around on weekends...!

I was also waiting for the art thread to start. I'll just post my concept here for now to hopefully recieve some criticism over the time I sleep on improving the design.

I would like to state this: this is not the final copy, this is just the beta artwork that I designed in my little pocket notebook. It may be a tad simple, but I'll work on that.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
'kay, I'm gonna preface this with the fact a) I used MSPaint b) I'm a total art n00b, (e.g. my shading blows entirely, as does my finesse, line design, joints, etc.) and c) this is my first time.

Essentially my idea is a Clockwork Solider. I know that's a bit hard to work into the Fighting/Dark typing dynamic, but I tried to get a good mix of the physical and mechanical when I went from my blocky original shapes to the (admittedly flawed) curved lines. I kept the blocky toes, I thought that balanced out what I'd tried to do with the sort of "armor-esque mid0body design. None of the machine Pokemon really have a dark element to them, but I think in general the idea of a programmed fighter kind of goes in that direction.

I'm sure someone else could take this idea a lot farther (and are welcome to). I had tons of trouble even conceptualizing how I'd cover all the body parts, knees being especially troublesome since you can kind of "pose away" elbow issues.

WHATS GOIN' ON IN THIS THREAD

Will probably throw some supporting material together later, or try out some other designs. WHO KNOWS.

EDIT: 'sup portin'.

When I saw that CAP 11 was Fighting/Dark, I thought it would be cool to have a Demon-esque Pokemon (since Togekiss is an Angel). This scary, floating, black hand came to mind:

I'm a great spriter, but I lack with a pencil. So, as per the rules, I give any artist my explicit permission to take this design further.

Sweet. I didn't have much time in the last one.
One question - my current idea is something which is fairly dark-based with a lot less fighting. Is this permittable, even though Fighting is the base type?

I should have a drawing in some time in the next few days

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Any design is viable - Artistic choice (For instance, Pachirisu looks like a Normal type, yet it is an electric type. Somehow.)

Might get less votes though - something that shows off both types will be more likely to win.

The basis of my design has somewhat of a "tribal warrior" theme, mixed with other elements. One thing, I can't draw hands very well. =/
Part of it's inspiration is of Elemental Hero Necroid Shaman and Blade-Edge.

Feedback is much appreciated

First design (yes I have two, but this is the more serious one)

Link -> if the image is too big: http://www.deviantart.com/download/171650262/Dark_Fighting_CAP_new_by_Ori_Corp.png
Yes it has one pseudo-wing (can't fly really) but I thought it was better than the two wings on the original.
This design has been with me for a long time, dated in March of '04
Original, inked: http://fav.me/d2u718e
Would you believe I got inspiration for this design from a t-shirt I had in '04.

Second one, I was trying the concept on a shaman monkey type of design:
http://fav.me/d2u71ai

These are full inked roughs (I started about halfway through the Second typing poll, it was going to be a clear victory for Dark, it have 68% just about the entire way the whole time).
if you want to see more, check out my deviant art page: http://ori-corp.deviantart.com/

Anyway, tell me what you think, any tips or suggestions I should do?

I'm going to be posting my second beta artwork. Perhaps you can better see more of the Fighting and Dark-types in this one?

Click the thumbnail to see the full image.

Could I please get some criticism on this if you don't mind?

This is my concept for the Dark/Fighting type. Here's some fluff: This Pokemon seeks thrills in hunting prey, and carves their bones to make itself armor.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Gonna have to say I really like SEO's and Paras Hilton's designs so far, although the skull get-up in Paras' design makes it more ghost-type than fighting-type...

Ninja'ed by Yilx.

Maybe I'll draw something terrible?

Most likely, no.

EDIT:

recoomeboom: It's wearing a skirt.

pkmn-taicho321: I like it. Perhaps more muscular forepaws? For the Fighting tie-in?

I like what Paras Hilton has done to incorporate the duality of a "dark warrior." It does have ghostly characteristics but ghosts themselves can often be "dark" and the color scheme of the gray and black is nicely contrasted with the red headband. The red is an important method of distinguishing the creature in that regard and red eyes are also a sure way to emphasize evil. The outsize arms also gain my approval; even though they appear out of proportion, it still works. This is a fascinating typing to explore and I look forward to how things will develop. I'd contribute artwork but that's not where my skills lie.

Heres a rought sketch of my basic design still needs some adjustments and im going to repose it once i finish the design

I wanted to play around with it being the opposite of togekiss since its supposed to be its partner

some flavor:
Despite ssikegot (temp name (togekiss backwards)) not have any of togekisses physical abilities scientit still believe it to be some how related to togekiss because of its slight resemblence and suprising synergy in battle

sorry if the grammer and spelling are bad, im rushing to type this before i leave

critisism please

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Woa, I didn't notice CAP 11, so I don't have any sketch. Anyway, for now I'm gonna put an old fakemon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)