CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 14 - Sprite Poll 2

Which Sprite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Round 2 of the Sprite Poll is up!

Our CAP so far:

DougJustDoug said:
DougJustDoug said:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.

The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate

• Typing: Fighting / Dark
    Stat Spread: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 110 Spe
    Abilities: Volt Absorb / Lightningrod
    Name: Voodoom
    Movepool:
    Code:
    [B]Total Moves:[/B] 74
    [B]Total VGM:[/B] 35

[B]Level Up[/B]
    H Wrap
    H Revenge
    H Night Slash*
    --- Astonish
    --- Copycat
    --- Pain Split*
    --- Spite
    7 Pain Split* (repeat)
    11 Spite (repeat)
    15 Grudge
    19 Charge
    20 Follow Me
    25 Pin Missile
    30 Faint Attack
    35 Close Combat*
    40 Acupressure
    45 Aura Sphere*
    50 Substitute*
    55 Beat Up

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
    (Egg Groups: Humanshape / Ground)
    Perish Song*
    Smellingsalt
    Screech 
    Pursuit* 
    Memento* 
    Imprison 
    Mach Punch* 
    Baton Pass* 

[B]TMs/HMs[/B]
    TM 01 – Focus Punch*
    TM 06 – Toxic*
    TM 08 – Bulk Up*
    TM 10 – Hidden Power*
    TM 11 – Sunny Day
    TM 12 – Taunt*
    TM 15 – Hyper Beam* (ugh)
    TM 17 – Protect*
    TM 21 – Frustration* 
    TM 27 – Return* (repeat)
    TM 26 - Earthquake
    TM 29 – Psychic*
    TM 31 – Brick Break*
    TM 34 – Shock Wave
    TM 41 - Torment
    TM 42 – Façade*
    TM 43 – Secret Power
    TM 44 – Rest*
    TM 45 – Attract 
    TM 46 – Thief
    TM 49 – Snatch
    TM 52 – Focus Blast*
    TM 56 – Fling
    TM 58 – Endure
    TM 60 – Drain Punch
    TM 66 – Payback*
    TM 68 – Giga Impact
    TM 73 – Thunder Wave*
    TM 75 - Stone Edge*
    TM 78 – Captivate
    TM 79 – Dark Pulse*
    TM 80 – Rock Slide*
    TM 82 – Sleep Talk*
    TM 83 – Natural Gift
    TM 85 – Dream Eater
    TM 87 – Swagger
    TM 90 – Substitute* (repeat)
    HM 04 – Strength
    HM 06 – Rock Smash

[B]Move Tutor:[/B]
    Ice Punch*
    Counter*
    Metronome
    Mud Slap
    Mimic
    Uproar
    Snore
    Vacuum Wave*
    Pain Split* 
    Spite
    Nightmare
    Magic Coat*
    Low Kick*
    Knock Off*
    Submissions:

DougJustDoug said:
    aragornbird said:
    DarthVader317 said:
    Gun6 said:
    Wyverii said:
    Rules:

This will be a single click poll. Simply click on the poll option above for your sprite preference.

This poll will last approx. 24 hours.

So hard to choose...
I went with Aragornbird, I just think the pose is cooler than the others.
Also I think Doug's had enough wins in this CAP already. :p

I chose Aragornbird's sprite because red and black is my favorite color combo, and I couldn't decide between DougJustDoug's and Aragornbird's sprites based on pose so I just went with my preference.

P.S. at the time of posting this, DougJustDoug and Aragornbird are tied up. What is the procedure in case there ends up being a tie at the end of the voting period?

Texarkan, while technically it's all at the discretion of the Topic Leader, in practice there's always a run-off or 'spill-over' poll if we don't get a clear leader.

As the polls stand, DougJustDoug and aragornbird have more than half of the vote between them. So Deck Knight would probably launch a second poll with just those two entries. The process is explained here in the Secondary Polls section - but remember, those are only guidelines and the Topic Leader can do things differently, just like he changed the point weightings (to 8/4/2/1) in the previous poll.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aragornbird's technical skill outshines his competition, but I don't think he got the pose just right. My vote went to Vader on that one. I have to say though, I'm a little disappointed with the disfigured right arm. I'd be far more deadset on voting his submission were that to be remedied.

However, if Aragornbird went with the Riddler color scheme, his submission would have been really hard to refuse as well... No matter what, though, it was all about Vader and Bird for me from the start.

It's pretty much between AB and DJD now. I support aragornbird. His design is technically impecable, and it looks very much like real sprites.

It think the main fault in DJDs design is the lack of shading. It looks flat.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wyverii has captured the true essence of the artwork in the slightly darkened colour scheme and 'grungy' shiny colours. As always, her execution is flawless.

Tl;dr: Go Wyv!

I like how Wyverii's looks like it's creepily walking towards you. The back sprites are cool, too. It won my vote.

Wyverii's sprite I feel captured everything the best. All the other submissions were great too. I especially liked the shiny color scheme of Wyverii's.

I originally had sleet > aragornbird > Wyverii > DougJustDoug, so naturally I moved to vote aragornbird. However, I have changed my mind. Although I originally liked aragornbird's for looking most like a sprite that would realistically exist in this generation, Wyverii's sprite is infused with a personality that I think is a part of everybody's ideas for Voodoom, and it sort of reminds me of the "good old days" of some of the RB sprites.

Wyverii GO GO GO

Wyverii all the way. I don't care what anyone says about "looking like a GF sprite" or whatever being an illegitimate opinion, Wyverii has captured the art and represented it in a way that is both beautiful to look at and something that stands perfectly next to hundreds of other in-game sprites. Seriously, just look at it:

If I didn't know that Wyverii's sprite was made for a CAP, I'd probably seriously ask myself "Whoa, is that a new Gen V Pokemon?" I'm not even joking. I hope that you all see just how effortlessly and perfectly Wyverii's sprite matches the in-game world and the Shoddy Battle 1 environment, as despite the general quality of the rest of the sprites, none of them come even close to Wyverii's. Besides that, Wyverii's sprite also perfectly renders Voodoom as a fast and bulky Pokemon with the pose and body shape. I can actually see that thing running at base 110 Speed after something, unlike any of the others.

Attachments

Also chiming in with my support for Wyverii. I'm not sure I can gush as hard as Dusk, so I'll just say I appreciate the menacing look and like the shiny colours best. Excellent "horror" colours in the green/purple mix which no one else captures.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I chose Doug's sprite because of the pose, and more specifically the body language of the sprite. Technically, all of the sprites are excellent in this poll. However, I feel Doug's pose captures the essence of Voodoom. In his sprite, Voodoom appears to have waved his hand, saying "NO I'm NOT going to take your crap anymore". It seems fed up with all of the torment it put up with over the years and is ready to take out its revenge on everyone. That captures both the Fighting and Dark sides of this Pokemon.

Aragorn's sprite looks like it's ready to fight in a kung-fu way almost, saying "bring it on". This captures the Fighting aspect of the mon, but not the Dark. On the other end of the spectrum, Darthvader317's submission seems to be plotting and saying "soon, I'll seek my revenge, and then you'll ALL be sorry". This is more supervillian-esque than any other sprite, but doesn't do much for the Fighting-type. Next, Gun6 went with a sort of neutral pose, copying the original art. There's nothing wrong with it really, but it's sort of bland. Finally, Wyverii also went with the Dark route, making her sprite look like it's silently stalking its prey. This is close to both Fighting and Dark, however I feel like Doug pulled it off better.

Tl;Dr: if you don't read my post why am i going to give you a shortcut.

I like aragornbird's backsprite the best, so I voted him. (assuming I pick the right option on my phone >>)

I would be happy with any of these though. Fantastic submissions guys. Really, this is the best spiriting we've ever had.

Voted DougJustDoug. He has the best back sprite and the coolest shiny, and that was the deciding factor for me. Front sprite was a tie too many ways.

aragornbird's sprites have the best gender difference, shiny colors, and detail out of the remaining sprites. He got my vote.

Wyverii's is just amazing. The gender difference alone is brilliant in concept/execution, which gave him my vote. His pose is so unique too, most other spriters used the concept art's pose when Wyverii published his first WIP and it is a shame to not reward his creativity

Aragornbird. DJD looks disproportionally short in comparison to everyone elses...so I don't know if he got it wrong or everyone else did...but I don't like its height. And I am not a fan of Wyverii's pose at all. It makes the doll looked humpbacked and slow.

Vader is a close second. A better fist would be nicer.

Sorry to all the other spriters but IMO there's no competition, AragornBird wins hands down. Best pose, best shiny, best sprite overall. Great job! It actually makes me almost like this CAP.

Had to go with DarthVader317. All the other front sprites just look too dynamic to me - they're all walking, bouncing, or stretching their limbs. Don't get me wrong, they're great pieces of art - I just don't think a pin-filled zombie would be so lively. Vader's Voodoom manages to look intimidating and powerful while still projecting an air of apathy and sadness. It's a pity he's so far behind as of this post.

I voted DougJustDoug, as I thought it was the best technically. However, after reading a few comments, I'd throw second place to Wyverii.

While aragornbird may be winning the poll right now (by only 4 votes!), I think that his pose, as others have said, is just too dynamic for a voodoo doll. No tormented doll searching for revenge would assume a martial arts fighting stance. Doug's, Vader's, and Wyverii's sprites do the best job of capturing what I feel would be more appropriate.

After looking at them for a while, I decided that DougJustDoug's sprite is probably the best. His sprite looks more realistic. Additionally, most of the other sprites have major and noticeable gender differences, which kind of throws off the tradition of "rather unrecognizable gender differences."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)