Policy Review CAP 18 PRC Game Plan

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What's good. The changes brought about by the sixth generation of Pokemon throw numerous wrenches into the CAP Process that we need to discuss as a Policy Review Committee. Furthermore, there are topics that must be addressed about our current process for the betterment of the project. Throughout the upcoming weeks, we're going to be hosting a variety of topics here in CAP Policy Review to improve the project as much as possible. CAP has certainly got a good thing goin' on at the moment (the past two CAPs in particular have been a roaring success), but that doesn't mean there isn't more for us to improve.

Throughout the past month, I've discussed which topics CAP users and moderators would like to discuss before we reach CAP 1. The compiled list of those topics is listed below. Since I am a lazy bum terribly busy, I don't feel comfortable with leading every single one of these topics. As a result, I'm going to open the floor for other CAP Policy Review Committee members to tackle writing the Original Post for any of these topics. They'll still need to be approved through at least one of the CAP moderators. The more work we can distribute here, the quicker we can get on with this topics, and onto our first Generation 6 CAP!

So, here are the discussion topics. They range from topics that will likely only need a brief discussion and vote to broad generalizations and philosophies that will require some digging and debating.

Historically Document CAP Playtests - bugmaniacbob

Mega-Evolution CAPs - Bull of Heaven

Past CAP Revisions - Birkal

Mega-Evolution CAPs II - Pwnemon

Time Factor - Birkal

Update VGM List - bugmaniacbob

Update Banned Abilities List - srk1214

Update Checks & Counters - ginganinja

Review TLT System - DetroitLolcat

Polling Options – jas61292
Remember, these are just a few of the topics that we'll end up covering over the course of this Policy Review session. If there are other topics you feel that we need to discuss, please post them in this thread. If you have interest in writing the Original Post of any of these threads, post your interest here (please only take one or two). If you're not knowledgeable in the history and issues with any of the above topics, please do not write the OP. I'll take on any that we have left over at the end.

Thanks to all of you for your cooperation! Let's get started.

Last edited by a moderator:

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to take the OP for Review TLT System if you're all okay with that. I've served in the TLT twice, so I have firsthand experience with the TLT system and I've been around long enough to see the entirety of both the Strong TL model and the TL+TLT system. I'm currently in the middle of exam season, so I can probably get that post done in about a week and a half at most.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In addition to the one already in the OP there, I would be happy to tackle one of the others. I don't really have ones that I really specifically want though, so I'll wait and see who else is interested in doing some and see what else is left afterwards.

EDIT: it seems all of the topics bar BRC calc update have someone interested in them. As BMB mentioned below, I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done with this one, so it would be a bit difficult to write an OP for. It would be nice to get a bit more detailed explanation on that one. If we can get that, I can certainly do this one if necessary, but if it is something more mathematical and someone with good grasp on the formulae and what needs to be done there wants to take that one, I encourage them to go right ahead.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to take on updating the banned abilities. I was in the PRC when we decided to provide the current separate banlists for each stage and I feel knowledgeable enough to provide the OP for updating this list based on new and changed abilities in XY. I can probably get this done over the weekend, or worst case by Wednesday.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If I may, I'd like to be responsible for two topics, the "Historically Document CAP Playtests" and the "Update VGM List". For the first, I think I can safely say that I am one of the people who attaches an extremely high importance to the need to document the history and design choices of the CAPs and what not, and that though I was not exactly around for all of the CAPs themselves, I was around for all of the playtests and have a pretty good working knowledge of where to find a given piece of information in CAP's archives. Moreover, if I may I would like to request that I be allowed to add to the first a modified version of the proposals contained in one of my previous threads which addressed some of the same points and has a fair degree of overlap. For the second, I have been involved quite heavily in the reshaping of the VGM lists in the past; as part of the rewriting of the movepool guide for BW I also helped update the VGM lists and suggested the introduction of repeat move rules, and before my sabbatical was midway through an attempt to reshuffle the VGM lists in response to our changing knowledge of the BW2 metagame. As such I feel I am qualified to write the OPs for these topics, and more to the point have a close personal interest in their resolution.

I am uncertain as to what the "Update BSR calculator" topic entails exactly, as that seems to be more in the realm of the programmers, but I'll be glad to implement any changes made in that thread should the current calculator that I maintain be considered still usable as a format.

As a final note, when should we have ideally written up and sent these OPs to the moderators for approval? I imagine we will want to wait until after this thread has been closed and all topics assigned, but I'd just like to make sure.

Bull of Heaven

I'm interested in taking on mega evolution. Just to be absolutely certain that I'm on the right page: I assume the issues are whether to allow it and, if it is allowed, how to implement it in the process? I don't know that there are any specific qualifications for this topic, but of course I'd be fine with a more experienced leader taking it, should such a person be interested.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hm, not much to say at the moment, but I want to pop in the thread and comment. I don't think I'm best to lead any of these topics, but I do have something I want to discuss that'd be considered part of Polling Options, so I'll consult with jas about it.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I updated the OP of this thread with who will be writing the original post of each of these Policy Review threads. Let's go with just three at any given time (for now), so we don't overexert ourselves with too many discussions. It's first come, first serve, so send those original posts in for moderator review! Let's get going here.

I have no idea if the BSR calculator needs to be updated (I'd presume it does), so I thought it would be a good thing for us to discuss how we'd go about doing that, since it is an official part of the process. I have little to no interest in that area, so I'd like someone who's interested in the subject to write the original post. If no one things that we need to do an update there, then let's leave it as it is for CAP 1.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi can we have a topic on discussing the checks and counters stage of the process, since it was the shambles last time around, and I think there might be better ways of managing it and so on.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Thirding the nomination for the thread. checks and counters has been kind of a clusterfuck regardless the past few projects.

Birkal

We have the technology.
I've updated the OP of this thread. We're done with one PR thread, and wrapping up another two. I'd like to see jas61292 post his Polling Options thread as soon as he writes it up. I will also be preparing a CAP Revisions thread which should hopefully be up within a day or two. Once Ability Banlist is completed, bugmaniacbob will be leading the way on updating our VGM list.

Two additional topics have been added. One is for a revisit to Mega Evolutions. This thread won't take place until after the CAP Revisions thread (due to the subject nature), but someone can claim authorship and begin work on it preemptively if they like. There's also a review in store for our Counters and Checks processes. If someone would like to write either of these two threads, post your interest in this thread and send it to a CAP moderator for approval. The latter thread can be posted at any time.

Birkal

We have the technology.
Hey, so I just wanted to give an update here, since almost a month has gone by since the above post. As many of you know, OU Suspect Testing has begun. Their ladder will close on February 9th, with voting taking place for about a week afterwards. DougJustDoug and I are in agreement that the metagame at that point will likely be stable enough for us to begin creating a Pokemon for Generation 6. So at that point, the only thing holding up the Create-A-Pokemon Project is... the Policy Review cycle.

I'm not sharing this to rush discussions and make policies in an indecent manner. I share this because I'm not one for sugarcoating. We've have a ton to discuss this Policy Review, and I'd like to applaud everyone for their work so far. That being said, there is still much that needs to be done. There are three active discussions right now that need resolution. I'm about ready to go with the CAP Revisions thread, but my fear is that the CAP PRC is spread too thin at the moment. That observation is based on the fact that our threads are barely being posted in. And when there are posts, they are often bloated and self-indulgent (yes, I fall into that pitfall too).

What I'm asking is that we make a concentrated effort as a Policy Review Committee to be conversationally-minded and active. You don't need to post three paragraphs every time you make a post. A simple, "this works, but I prefer to tweak it with X," is more than enough. Like posts that you agree with. Heck, post IRC logs (but clean 'em up, please). The worst crime we can commit as a PRC is not doing anything. If you guys really don't want to have a voice, the CAP moderators would be more than happy to make all of these decisions by themselves. It would certainly be a lot more efficient. But CAP is democratic by design and we want to hear your thoughts, so make your voice heard!

I'll do my best to decide what is essential to discussing before CAP 1 starts and chart our final threads in that manner. In return, I ask for your activity and thoughtfulness. We're all itching to build another Pokemon. So let's do our work, do it well, and get back to the fun.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys. I'll be taking the Update to Checks and Counters section. I wrote the current iteration (Threats Discussion and Counters Discussion) of the section and would be more than happy to re-open talks about it. Looking forward to it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)