Metagame CAP 1v1 - Moveset Submissions [MrDollSteak promoted to co-lead!]

Just a heads up, the specs/scarf, can't remember which volkraken set doesn't appear to be programmed in right, overheat is just shown as the letter v in the team preview

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Now that the format is live I think it's a good time to start refining sets based on playtesting, bugs, etc.

One set in particular that Shuno and others have pointed out that seems to be bugged is Scarf Volkraken. I believe the issue with this is because of the slashes I included so I just want to post a corrected one here.

:volkraken:
Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Power Gem

Another set that needs tweaking is Band Necturna. I originally put in Dragon Ascent because the flying coverage is IMO more important than the Fire Coverage, but I believe since Dragon Ascent has been snapped V-Create has been put in place. As such I would like to recommend amending the set to the following.

:necturna:
Necturna (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Attack / 156 Def / 12 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Shadow Sneak
- Stone Edge
- Brave Bird

I'd also like to point out that the Special Syclant sets incorrectly list its EVs as 240 Special Defense instead of 240 Speed in the code.

"evs": {"hp": 16, "spa": 252, "spd": 240},

So that needs to be changed to fix it too.

Finally I also think that now is also a good time to start re-EVing spreads where possible to make them more efficient. I'd like to start with Snake_Rattler's Counter Coat Krilowatt which we actually discussed together previously.

:krilowatt:
Krilowatt @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Toxic
- Protect

The changes I've made allow it to more solidly take on the physical attackers in the tier, as the only special attackers that threaten it with OHKOs even uninvested are ones that used Earth Power. The addition of Shuca Berry means it no longer needs to invest in Special Defense, and as such, it is now able to stand a chance more of a chance against some strong Grass type attacks such as Malaconda's Solar Blade and Caribolt's Horn Leech or Power Whip before a Dance.

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
:snaelstrom:
Snaelstrom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Substitute
- Rapid Spin
- Struggle Bug

PP Stall
Got bored and saw that this ladder went up so I figured I'd drop a spicy set I theorycrafted. Basically, the set autowins vs any choicer besides like, Plasmanta, since Spiky Shield + Substitute allows it to stall infinitely until they run out of PP. Rapid Spin allows you to outpace base 97s after 1 use and has a ton of PP for the sake of stalling while also mitigating the risk of Taunt users. Struggle Bug is kind of a throwaway slot since it doesn't really have much else particularly good, but is at least useful for some particular special attackers like Syclant. Overall bulk allows it to live a hit from just about anything and proceed to infinitely stall with Spiky Shield + Substitute.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
I have a NEW Equilibra set that I thought I'd post after remembering it got access to this move. It runs similarly to the Scarf Equilibra set, but can actually beat a few more faster foes that it previously couldn't always such as Scarf Volk and Disable Stratagem.

:equilibra:
Equilibra @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpA / 88 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

This set is a [Unique] set that takes advantage of Trick Room to get the jump on faster Pokemon that can't OHKO it, as well as to solidify some stall matchups against Air Baloon users like Calm Mind Mollux and Encore Fidgit. It's EV'd to always survive the Overheat from Scarf Volkraken allowing it to KO back with Earth Power. Also on this note, I'd like to point out that in an interaction previously unknown to me until playing on ladder that explains the choice of Flash Cannon instead of Steel Beam. Steel Beam will kill you before it deals damage to the opponent if you're under 50%. As such Steel Beam is incredibly unviable on Specs Equilibra and needs to be replaced with Flash Cannon.

:Equilibra:
Equilibra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate / Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 160 SpA / 60 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Canon
- Aura Sphere
- Doom Desire

I've actually already edited the set in my original post but I've pasted it again here for convenience's sake when it comes to editing the sets.

I also have some more suggested tweaks to other existing sets to make them a bit more viable!

:plasmanta:
Plasmanta @ Life Orb
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

I've edited the Speed EVs on this set to 232 so that it can outspeed Smokomodo and set up Magnet Rise. There's also no point of it carrying Psychic since it can't outspeed Fidgit anyway, so it's better for it to carry Thunderbolt so it can do things against Snael and Arghonaut.

:Cawmodore:
Cawmodore @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Steel Beam
- Hyper Beam

Cawmodore should definitely be using Steel Beam instead of Flash Cannon since it needs all the help it can get power wise, it's also fast enough that its likely to be above half health when it KOs the opponent. Have also tweaked some of the EVs by moving some Speed into HP giving it slightly more bulk.

:Cawmodore:
Cawmodore @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Acrobatics

Have changed ability to Volt Absorb as it is more important to beat Electric types than Band Revenankh and swapped EVs around so that it has an even HP stat and subsequently procs Sitrus off the Drum properly, as well as given it Drain Punch so as to beat Equilibra, Naviathan. Iron Head is less useful for Cawmodore as it only really affected the Jumbao and Kerf matchups, which a +6 Bullet Punch will obliterate anyway.

:mollux:
Mollux @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

A very minor change, but there's just honestly no reason to have Fire Blast as a slashed option, Eruption is better 100% of the time.

:syclant:
Syclant @ Choice Band
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Leech Life
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Removed Superpower and Adamant as options, and swapped around breakpoints a bit because being outspeed by Caribolt is suboptimal, and Stone Edge gives you a chance against Snael.

:syclant:
Syclant @ Choice Specs
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Earth Power

Another minor tweak. Earth Power is a better coverage option than Earth Power as it allows Syclant to actually beat Pokemon like Mollux and Plasmanta.

:pyroak:
Pyroak @ Choice Specs
Ability: White Smoke
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpA / 132 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

A little bit of extra bulk allows for Pyroak to survive Specs Stratagem's Paleo Wave and KO back with Giga Drain. Also helps against some of the other special matchups such as Specs Fidgit etc.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
I don't mean to double post, but after talking to Birkal, I have decided to post a collection of "interesting" replays from a mixture of the ladder and various tournaments over at Randbats and 1v1 that show some of the fun matchups in action, and that highlight somewhat unconventional sets where possible. I've deliberately excluded the vast majority of choice vs choice matches because that tends to be a case of just OHKOing the other but I've included Band Nect vs Band Argh to show the custom EVs in action.

Twists and turns:

Band Revenankh vs Spore Necturna
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115569905

Disable Stratagem vs Charge Cyclohm
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115571998

Yawn Kerfluffle vs Sub Jumbao
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115585383

Slower Games:

Scarf Auru vs Stall Snaelstrom
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115536018

Stall Snaelstrom vs Sub Malaconda
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115571662

Stall Mollux vs Stall Snaelstrom
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115573267

Torment Crucibelle vs Scarf Jumbao
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115575139

Magnetic Flux Krilowatt vs Life Orb Plasmanta
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115579637

Stall Pyroak vs Life Orb Smokomodo
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115581355

Torment Crucibelle vs Specs Plasmanta
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115675922

Acupressure Voodoom vs Magnetic Flux Krilowatt
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115599991

One-turn Knockout Games:

Band Arghonaut vs Band Necturna
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115569863

Specs Cawm vs Smokomodo
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap1v1-1115574003

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
It's been a while everyone! Definitely not trying to triple post here but in the absence of other activity and in the interests of differentiating our newest CAP, Astrolotl, from other QC posts, I thought I would do it!

Here are three preliminary Astrolotl sets that I can think of!

:Astrolotl:
Astrolotl @ Choice Band
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Stomping Tantrum
- Trick

A standard [1v1-like] Choice Band set. Access to Trick, great neutral Stab coverage and Vital Spirit to stop Yawn Kerfluffle and Tomohawk makes Astrolotl an ideal Bander. Flare Blitz and Outrage deal truckloads of damage, and Stomping Tantrum is a great third move as coverage as it dunks Mollux, Plasmanta, Crucibelle and others (not that they do much to it anyway).

Astrolotl @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

The idea here is basically the same as the Band set, being another [1v1-like] choice set, except its specially based due to the slightly higher BP on both Draco Meteor and Overheat to hit more naturally physically defensive Pokemon. Dazzling Gleam is the chosen third move because let's face it Astro doesn't have much else in terms of coverage, and this allows it to do a little bit more to things like Tomohawk and guarantees the OHKO on Voodoom (like it needed to be beaten by more CAPs)

Astrolotl @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Lash
- Yawn
- Wish
- Protect

This is a [Unique] set that plays out similarly to Yawn Kerfluffle (thank you G-Luke for giving it to this thing) aiming to tank a OHKO and Yawn the opponent and start taking advantage of its wasted turns. Fire Lash is the chosen attacking move due to its in built defense drops that allow for Astro to slowly break through opposing critters while it wastes their time on sleep. Wish is chosen since Astro is already using Protect to guarantee Yawn, and allows it an opportunity to heal back up to full to continue Lashing or Yawn for a second time. Vital Spirit prevents it from falling fodder to other Yawners. Air Balloon allows it to beat all the Choiced ground types in the meta.

Last edited:

D2TheW

Amadán
Figured I'd propose a set for the new mon that shows off its interesting bag of tricks
Astrolotl @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Lash
- Breaking Swipe
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
This is more of a unique set that doesn't really fit in with any of the standard 1v1 archetypes. It utilizes Astrolotls unique moveset to shut down set up mons of both the defensive and offensive variety before breaking through them with fire lash. It also fares well against the more unique stall strategies like fidgit

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Since Trick has been removed from Astrolotl, I've amended the following sets to instead run Life Orbs and use Taunt to shut down walls in a similar way to how Trick did. Air Balloons are also an option to mess with Choiced Ground Attackers but the power boost from Life Orb is still probably more important.

Astrolotl @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Stomping Tantrum
- Taunt

Astrolotl @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Now that we have Miasmaw's full moveset I thought it might be good to post some preliminary sets!

:Miasmaw:
Miasmaw @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Megahorn

Choice Scarf allows it to beat a range of faster mons in the metagame who would otherwise be able to tear through Miasmaw's paper defenses. Moves are all pretty standard high power options. Outrage hits nearly everything neutrally for massive damage. Earthquake handles the Steel-types and other 4x weaknesses like Mollux and Plasmanta. Iron Head is preferred over Iron Tail for the flinch chance to try and beat Kerfluffle and Jumbao since they aren't OHKOd by Tail anyway. The final slot is a bit of a toss-up since Bug Stab is only really useful against Colossoil, Malaconda and Caribolt which are all OHKOd by Lunge. Close Combat mostly beats these same Pokemon (or Outrage does) and may be preferred to guarantee the Stratagem matchup.

EDIT: Actually Megahorn is quite important in guaranteeing the OHKO on Aurumoth and Colossoil (I don't know how I miscalculated this one). In the end Voodoom is 2HKOd cleanly by Outrage and it can't 2HKO back in return making Close Combat unnecessary.

:Miasmaw:
Miasmaw @ Expert Belt
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

This is a kind of niche set designed to beat the range of stall Pokemon in the metagame. The EV's allow it to tank 3 Lava Plumes from Pyroak allowing it to Taunt, Swords Dance and then Outrage twice to win. Swords Dance is also necessary to guarantee the win against Krilowatt. The combination of Outrage and Earthquake allow it to beat Fidgit handily (especially since it won't be able to work out what item it's carrying as Frisk is turned off).

There may be more sets out there to take advantage of, but ultimately its awkward speed tier and paper defenses mean that these are probably the best things that it can do.

Last edited:

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to post another Miasmaw set that I think could be good for 1v1.

Miasmaw @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- First Impression
- Close Combat

This set is all about hitting as hard as possible with Fimp. The other moves are secondary coverage for Bug Resists that Miasmaw outspeeds like Libra and Mollux. No Steel coverage here because Jumbao and Kerf outspeed Banded Miasmaw anyways.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ANNOUNCEMENT:

I'm proud to say that MrDollSteak has been promoted to co-leader of CAP 1v1! He's going to help get us some updated sets, get Miasmaw integrated into the metagame, and look for ways to make this more accessible for even more users. CAP 1v1 was created with the intention that it would allow people to "learn the vocabulary" about what CAP is, and have a chance to interact with all of our mons before hitting the CAP ladder directly. MrDollSteak is on board with that vision and has some great ideas.

Join me in welcoming him! Write on his wall, or better yet, like this post :)

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
ANNOUNCEMENT:

I'm proud to say that MrDollSteak has been promoted to co-leader of CAP 1v1! He's going to help get us some updated sets, get Miasmaw integrated into the metagame, and look for ways to make this more accessible for even more users. CAP 1v1 was created with the intention that it would allow people to "learn the vocabulary" about what CAP is, and have a chance to interact with all of our mons before hitting the CAP ladder directly. MrDollSteak is on board with that vision and has some great ideas.

Join me in welcoming him! Write on his wall, or better yet, like this post :)
Thank you very much Birkal! I'm very keen to work more on this project and make it an even more accessible and interesting format.

The first thing that I'd like to address is that considering that there are currently two CAP 1v1 metas, one randomised and one not, it may be worth considering a rename for this particular project as a random metagame. At this stage, I think that calling this metagame "Challenge CAP 1v1" may be the best solution but I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Watch this space, as I will aim to post a more comprehensive update in the coming week that will revaluate the current sets for each CAP to more accurately reflect their viability in the non-randomised CAP 1v1 format based on their tournament results. If anyone has any other set suggestions in the mean time now is a great time to post them.

If anyone has any other suggestions about how to keep this format vibrant and active I'd love to hear them. I'm thinking that apart from the changes mentioned above, I'd love to start hosting some more regular room tournaments on Pokemon Showdown.

Cheers everyone!

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Sorry to double post, but as promised, here is an updated Set List for all of the CAPs.

There were quite a lot of changes so I'll pop them in a change log below. Now that the metagame is a little bit more stable I thought it would be a good idea to remove some of the least viable sets and instead try and focus on pure competitiveness as it often feels bad to be given a whole line-up of meme sets. That being said, there isn't a whole lot for Crucibelle and Malaconda to do, so they'll feel pretty terrible regardless.

I've also tweaked existing sets in regards to moves, items and EVs, as well as adding some completely new sets that were discovered in the non-random CAP 1v1 Tourament, most notably Curse Revenankh, which is a monster, and a heat anti-stall Worry Seed Jumbao set. Please let me know what you think about the changes and if you would like any more sets to be added to the roster!

Removed Wacan Berry Yawn Arghonaut
Tweaked Choice Specs Aurumoth's EVs
Removed Magnet SD Caribolt
Removed Choice Specs Caribolt
Added Choice Band Caribolt
Added Choice Scarf Caribolt
Removed Actual Nonsense Cawmodore
Removed Band Cawmodore
Removed Specs Cawmodore
Removed Rock Tomb Colossoil
Removed Choice Scarf Crucibelle
Removed Kee Berry Cyclohm
Removed Choice Specs Fidgit
Removed Choice Band Fidgit
Removed LO Sub Jumbao
Added Worry Seed Jumbao
Tweaked Choice Specs Kerfluffle Moves
Removed LO Punches Kitsunoh
Removed Minus + Magnetic Flux Krilowatt
Removed LO Four Attacks Krilowatt
Tweaked CounterCoat Krilowatt's EVs and Item
Removed Chesto Rest Malaconda
Removed Sub Sitrus Malaconda
Tweaked Choice Scarf Malaconda Moves
Added Choice Scarf Miasmaw
Added Taunt SD Miasmaw
Added Choice Band Miasmaw
Removed Power Herb Solar Beam Mollux
Removed Double Dance Naviathan
Removed Double Dance 2 Naviathan
Removed Choice Specs Naviathan
Added Dragon Dance Naviathan
Removed Spore + Sub Necturna
Tweaked LO SS Necturna EVs and Moves
Removed Assault Vest Pajantom
Removed Sitrus + Imprison Pajantom
Added Choice Scarf Pajantom
Tweaked Choice Specs Plasmanta Moves
Tweaked LO Magnet Rise Plasmanta Moves
Remove Glare + Rock Slide Revenankh
Added Curse Revenankh
Removed LO Bulldoze Smokomodo
Added Choice Scarf Smokomodo
Removed SD + Acid Armor Snaelstrom
Tweaked Stall Snaelstrom EVs and Moves
Tweaked Disable Stratagem
Removed LO Taunt Syclant
Removed Prankster Yawn Tomohawk
Tweaked Choice Scarf Volkraken EVs and Moves
Tweaked Choice Specs Volkraken EVs and Moves
Removed Reflect Type Air Balloon Volkraken
Removed Chople Berry Charge Voodoom
Removed Lum Berry Voodoom

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Triple posting because nobody can stop me.

Now that the CAPs have been given their IoA update moves, with the last few still at the polls, there are potentially some new sets and changes to existing sets that can be made. I'll aim to update this with a few that I've thought of in the coming days. Of note will likely be Scorching Sands Volkraken, Poltergeist on Kitsunoh and Revenankh, Meteor Beam Stratagem, Triple Axel Syclant, Scale Shot Smokomodo and more!

If anyone has any other thoughts I'd love to see them.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
The Choice Band Miasmaw set has "firtimpression" instead of First Impression. The rest of the moves on the set look fine; it's just that one move that's off.
Thanks kj for spotting that!

I also realise I made a rather large mistake on the Astrolotl sets by giving it access to Trick again (oops), so could I ask that the Choice Band and Choice Specs sets are replaced with the following Life Orb and Power Herb sets.

Astrolotl @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Stomping Tantrum
- Taunt

Astrolotl @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Meteor Beam
- Taunt

I have a few other set changes to incorporate the new IoA tutor moves. The changes aren't too controversial, Triple Axel and Poltergeist are just higher power options over existing moves to help score KOs, and Scorching Sands is excellent coverage for Volkraken that easily beats both Flamethrower and Hyper Beam.

Syclant @ Choice Band
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Leech Life
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Kitsunoh @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Trick / Ice Punch

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 116 HP / 240 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Surf
- Power Gem
- Scorching Sands

Volkraken @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 192 SpA / 12 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Flamethrower / Overheat
- Surf
- Power Gem
- Scorching Sands

I was debating including Poltergeist on Choice Band Revenankh but at the end of the day it doesn't end up actually KOing much more that it doesn't already except for Scarf Aurumoth. Further sets that I need to think about in more detail include Scale Shot Smokomodo and Meteor Beam Stratagem.

Last edited:
I wanted to point out another issue:
On the Scarf Equilibra set, Bulletproof is slashed as an ability, but that was removed a while ago (during the last Equilibra nerf). This is also implemented on Showdown, so that needs to be changed too.
I also took the liberty of creating an updated PokePaste with the fixed sets, and with Bulletproof removed from the Scarf Equilibra set (so the only ability is Levitate). Hopefully I didn't screw anything up from the last PokePaste. https://pokepast.es/d41d72a9cdd10ab5

EDIT 1/13/21: The First Impression typo got fixed, and the new sets got implemented, but I still ran into a Bulletproof Scarf Equilibra.

EDIT 1/21/21: Jho pointed out on Discord that the Power Herb Astrolotl set says 252 Atk EVs in the Pokepaste, despite the set having no physical moves. The set is actually properly implemented with 252 SpA EVs on Showdown, but I decided to put up an up-to-date PokePaste with the fixed EVs anyway: https://pokepast.es/d41d72a9cdd10ab5

EDIT: 1/26/21: Use the Pokepaste in MrDollSteak's post below, not either of these.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
As kjnjkmjk1 mentioned, the Equilibra Choice Scarf set is currently bugged because it brings Bulletproof back.

Please find the updated set here.

Equilibra @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Steel Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Hyper Beam

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
kjnjkmjk1 has informed me that currently Choice Band Arghonaut's EVs are input correctly as SpDef instead of Speed. This has prompted me to look back over the complete sets, and I've noticed a few other mistakes both in terms of suggestions I've made and how EVs have been input. Here is the full list of changes that need to be made to the online sets.
  1. Crucibelle's Torment should be Bold instead of Impish.
  2. Arghonaut's Choice Band set is listed incorrectly with its EVs input into SpDef instead of Speed.
  3. Mollux's Choice Scarf set is listed incorrectly with its EVs input into Defense instead of SpA.
  4. Revankh's Curse set is listed incorrectly with its EVs input into Speed instead of SpD.
Separately, I have also decided to tweak the Trick Room Equilibra set list slightly to the following to allow it to correctly beat the Mollux sets, Kerfluffle, and Voodoom more reliably.

Equilibra @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

It has also been brought to my attention that many of the CAPs don't actually have 0 IVs listed on their sets, as well as the fact that some of Astrolotl's sets had incorrect abilities and EVs in their sets on the compendium. Although these are actually input correctly in the official play sets I have nevertheless taken the liberty to amend the set compendium, which can be found below. Please disregard the previous set compendium, I will leave the link where it is however for 'posterity'.

Updated set compendium

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Upon Lasen's suggestion, I have amended the following Astrolotl set to use its Hidden Ability Magician because the Power Herb activation will allow it to steal the opponent's item! In addition, if stealing a Choice item Astrolotl will still be able to choose its next move, which can allow it to muscle through a few more sets such as Specs Pyroak, Scarf Mollux and Scarf Volkraken.

Astrolotl @ Power Herb
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Meteor Beam
- Taunt

Hey is crucibelle-mega banned from this format? Because I think it'd fit well here, yet there's not a single moveset for it

Crucibelle-Mega @ Crucibellite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge
- Coil
- Iron Head

Maybe this?

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hey is crucibelle-mega banned from this format? Because I think it'd fit well here, yet there's not a single moveset for it

Crucibelle-Mega @ Crucibellite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge
- Coil
- Iron Head

Maybe this?
Mega Crucibelle, like all megas in the sword and shield meta, is banned.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Chromera @ Air Balloon
Ability: Color Change
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Been waiting for this bad boy for a while! The heat has arrived! Luckily this set uses only required moves from the 1.0 Movepool, so it is unlikely to be changed. The premise of this set is to beat nearly all Choiced Attackers because they can't hit you Super effectively and will often then end up turning you into a type that resists the attack. Calm Mind helps against the non stall matchups, in particular Fidgit. The EVs aren't 100% set in stone but the following spread allows it to take on some of the Choiced Dragons, namely Cyclohm. An alternate spread using Modest and 208 SpA EVs would beat Pyroak so something to keep in mind.

:ss/pyroak:
Pyroak is often used as a Special attacker, but the combination of RockHead, STABs with recoil and servicable attack (and also the element of surprise) all come together to create an incredibly powerful Pokémon.

SET #1: CHOICE BAND
Pyroak @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Atk / 132 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge / Rock Slide / Low Kick

This is basically just the choice specs set, but as a choice band set. Simple. Also, FlareBlitz has 100% accuracy, which could guarantee a matchup that FireBlast and Overheat could also do, but they could miss and cost you the fight.
MATCHUPS!

1] GUTS COLOSSOIL
Specs:
124+ SpA Choice Specs Pyroak Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Colossoil: 378-446 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
Band
: 124+ Atk Choice Band Pyroak Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Colossoil: 488-576 (119.9 - 141.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

2] CHOICE BAND KITSUNOH
A
dmittedly this is situational, but if the opponent tries to sabotage you by tricking their Choice Band onto you, you won't be as crippled as the Choice Specs variant. Also, missing FireBlast or Overheat would pretty much lose you the battle, and Kitsunoh is faster and almost always 2HKOs with Poltergeist (252 Atk Choice Band Kitsunoh Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Pyroak: 220-259 (49.6 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO)
Specs: 124+ SpA Choice Specs Pyroak Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kitsunoh: 278-328 (92.3 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
N
ow yes, FireBlast and Overheat DO OHKO Kitsunoh if they land, and so does FlareBlitz, but the key here is IF THEY LAND; Sure, 85% and 90% are pretty high, but they can still miss. Meanwhile, Flareblitz has 100% accuracy, and also melts Kitsunoh. Also, as we have seen above, EarthPower is literally a coinflip, and while Earthquake can't OHKO at all, the risk of EarthPower is dangerous, as you could try going for a non-miss Super Effective move, only to watch in horror as Kitsunoh survives on 1HP and kills you the next turn; The ChoiceBand set has no such weaknesses!
124+ Atk Choice Band Pyroak Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kitsunoh: 426-504 (141.5 - 167.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO!

3] CHOICE BAND REVEKANKH
T
he catch here is the same as against Kitsunoh - if Revenankh goes for Trick, you won't be crippled at all.

4] NAVIATHAN
T
hanks to Heatproof, Naviathan actually resists Fire, and the Air Balloon makes him immune to ground, so the ChoiceSpece variant would have to rely on GigaDrain, lest the opponent would get to a frenzy with DragonDance boosts and Waterfall flinches; How much does GigaDrain do? 124+ SpA Choice Specs Pyroak Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Naviathan: 201-237 (49.1 - 57.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO Yes, this is nice and all, but the chance of not 2HKOing is lurking in the shadows, and if that happens, the opposing Naviathan ends up free to either boost with DragonDance or try to flinch you the next turn with Waterfall. Not to mention, OHKOing even with Overheat is not even gonna happen most of the time! 124+ SpA Choice Specs Pyroak Overheat vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Naviathan: 348-409 (85 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO. Oof. The ChoiceBand variant has no such worries! Even with Heatproof, Naviathan still has two moves to fear: WildCharge and LowKick, neither of them OHKO, but they do guarantee the 2HKO without having the potential to miss like FireBlast and Overheat; Speaking of which, both FlareBlitz and WoodHhammer actually do LESS than the aforementioned two options, capping in at 58.6%, while WildCharge caps at 59.1% and LowKick maxes at a record of amazing 78.2%, in fact being the only move of the set that can guarantee a 2HKO, as Earthquake is negated by AirBalloon.

5] CAWMODORE
P
erhaps one of the most terrifying Pokémon to be introduced in the format, with great speed, BellyDrum, great attack, VoltAbsorb and access to priority BulletPunch, This bird is rightfully lurking in the nightmares of many players. The current set has both BellyDrum AND Acrobatics, so you MUST OHKO him in the 1st turn, and if you won't, nothing awaits you but CAWlamity. Both Overheat and FireBlast absolutely fry the bird, yes, but they can miss. And if they do, well, you can already say goodbye to your ladder points. Once again, FlareBlitz comes to the rescue! 124+ Atk Choice Band Pyroak Flare Blitz vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Cawmodore: 296-350 (119.3 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO! With this one simple step, you can get free KFC with ladder points as a bonus!

CONCLUSION
T
he Choice Band variant differentiates itself from its Choice Specs sibling via its type variety and surprise factor, but perhaps most importantly, FireBlast and Overheat CAN miss, and FlareBlitz CAN'T, and in a game of inches like Pokémon, a miss can cost you the match, we all know it from our experience. So just imagine how easier it would be for us if we DIDN'T have to fear the 10% miss at every turn. OHKOing Cawmodore is satisfying for everyone (Except his user), but going for the kill then missing is NOT. So basically, you trade 25 points of base offense for more accuracy and type variety, which I think is a pretty fine trade off, especially considering the huge base power of the physical STAB moves Pyroak has.

Stay safe, Stay awesome!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)