CAP 2 Pre-evo - Part 1 - Typing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Mono-Ghost seems a bit interesting, but I'm not sure it makes sense since Ghost is Necturna's second type.
How much does that really matter? I mean, if that's really the only thing standing in our way, then how much objection would there be to a hypothetical re-typing of Necturna as Ghost/Grass instead of Grass/Ghost? I mean, it's not like it would actually change anything about her.

Is there precedent for this?
How much does precedent matter, though? I mean, if something makes good enough sense that we don't think it's outlandish that the Pokemon developers themselves would include such a feature, then why worry about it?

It doesn't really make sense to have mono-Ghost since turning into a plant is a lot more difficult to invent reasons for than turning into a phantasm.
It's not that it would "turn into" a plant. It's more likely that it possesses a plant, which makes a lot more sense. Off of the top of my head, the Pokedex seems to imply that Shuppet turns into Banette by possessing a doll? Though just by looking at the Pokedex entries, one could easily mistake Banette for a standalone Pokemon as well.

My thinking on a theoretical pure-Ghost pre-evolution of Necturna would be that it's simply a spirit, possibly a nature spirit, that lives between the world of the living and the world of the dead, maybe sort of like a messenger spirit because that would flow well into the medium concept later on. To evolve into Necturna, it would possess a recently deceased plant. It might do this to gain more influence in the world of the living, but in doing so it might give up some of the influence that it had in the world of the dead.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
In the case of having a Ghost only pre-evo, you could even have the super lame "+another Pokemon to evolve thing". Say having a Bellossom on your team will evolve "Baby Necturna" into Necturna in the same way having Remoraid on your team to evolve Mantyke.

I'm in the Grass or Grass/Ghost camp tbh. I think it should evolve via Dusk Stone, But you could also have the Ghost one evolve via a Leaf Stone :| There are a lot of options.

Also; Regarding the typing, Necturna screams Grass so loud it hurts a little.

well, actually i think it doesn't matter if it makes sense, there are some pokemon whoses evos doesn't make sense (remoraid to octillery?).
It should make sense but looks that with the remoraid example it actually doesn't matter much.

well, actually i think it doesn't matter if it makes sense, there are some pokemon whoses evos doesn't make sense (remoraid to octillery?).
It should make sense but looks that with the remoraid example it actually doesn't matter much.
...Remoraid is an archerfish gun that evolves into an octopus cannon. It has to make at least vague sense.

From my estimation, only mono-Grass has had a significant amount of support to go up against Grass / Ghost. I think only two users seriously and actively suggested mono-Ghost, and it goes against precedent unnecessarily. Because of this, I am pitting Grass against Grass / Ghost for the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)