CAP 2 Pre-evo - Part 6 - Name submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Berreave
Making it my final submission. Berry + Bereave.
Anyone feel free to submit Duskeyes if you so choose.

Final Submission

Berricose

Judging by Mos-Quitoxe's comic supplement, this thing is definitely meaner than other berry-esque pokemon like Cherubi, so a name that plays off of that seems fitting to me. The name is a portmonteau of berry and bellicose, the latter of which means hostile and warlike, to sum up the berry's personality. I personally view this pokemon more as an agressive parasite than a pensive or wise being that communes with the spirits. I can imagine it evolving into Necturna more by latching on to a maiden's head and transforming the pair into a single mind than by physically growing.

Since I didn't give a time limit, I think it's only fair to give 24 hours for people to make their final submissions. I also might as well try something:

Nectrap

It's the only way I can think of to refer to the "berry trap" aspect of this pre-evo while not sounding really contrived. It actually surprises me how not-contrived it sounds. The fact that it isn't human-shaped makes it a lot easier to incorporate a trapping aspect into the name in ways that were pretty much impossible with the evo. It also happens to fit well into the whole "flytrap" thing that the evolution line has going on. As well, I personally feel that it's a cute name, but maybe that's just the Trapinch talking. Feel free to comment on this one.

I generally agree with Rising_Dusk about the prefix thing, but I will nonetheless attempt to find good names that don't use the Nect- prefix to slate. Otherwise, where's the fun?

I'd probably go with Noctarl as my final submission.

Really simple. Necturna came from Nectar+Nocturnal. Take the underlined parts away and you'd be left with ___tar+Noc_____l. Mix it up a little bit, and you'll get Noctarl. Could be a combination of nectar and snarl, even.

Final Submission

Nectophyte

Necto for resemblance to its evo's name. -phyte means plant. I think this name suits perfectly CAP2's pre-evo because it is not overly busy, rolls of the tongue quite nicely (IMO, at least) and finally, it sounds kind of cute. Also, sounding like 'neophyte' is a plus.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
necturine isnt supposed to convey any hidden meanings it's just necturna + "ine" so it's like a gen 1 name like electrode or muk that are just misspelled real words even tho nectarines really are irrelevant

edit: uhhh mostly an explanation of my name since i didnt put it in the submission and it is like on page 1

FINAL SUBMISSION

Caputo

Caput is head in latin, capto is grab in latin, CAP is the project,
so the name means "head grabbing pokemon from CAP"

Asylum_Rhapsody

I firmly believe that CAP 2 should follow the style of "Nect.... >> Necturna" in evolution.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. It's very hard to call that style of naming convention creative, and I think that CAP should be promoting more creativity than that. Just to give an idea, here's an incomplete list (I tried to leave off some debatable ones) of official Pokemon whose evolutionary relatives do not share a naming convention in that simplistic sort of way:
Squirtle > Wartortle > Blastoise
Caterpie > Metapod > Butterfree
Weedle > Kakuna > Beedrill
Ekans > Arbok
Vilpix > Ninetales
Oddish > Gloom > Vileplume
Diglett > Dugtrio
Meowth > Persian
Manky > Primeape
Growlith > Arcanine
Abra > Kadabra > Alakazam
Geodude > Graveler > Golem
Ponyta > Rapidash
Seel > Dewgong
Grimer > Muk
Gastly > Haunter > Gengar
Drowzee > Hypno
Krabby > Kingler
Voltorb > Electrode
Cubone > Marrowak
Goldeen > Seaking
Magikarp > Gyarados
Eevee > ___eon
Chikorita > Bayleef > Meganium
Cyndaquil > Quilava > Typhlosion
Totodile > Croconaw > Feraligatr
Hoothoot > Noctowl
Spinarak > Ariados
Chinchou > Lanturn
Mareep > Flaffy > Ampharos
Hoppip > Skiploom > Jumpluff
Wooper > Quagsire
Pineco > Foretress
Slugma > Magcargo
Remoraid > Octillary
Mudkip > Marshtomp > Swampert
Wumple > Silkoon > Beautifly
Wurmple > Cascoon > Dustox
Seedot > Nuzleaf > Shiftry
Wingull > Pelipper
Ralts > Kirlia > Gardevoir
Surskit > Masquerain
Whismur > Loudred > Exploud
Makuhita > Hariyama
Gulpin > Swalot
Carvanha > Sharpedo
Numel > Camerupt
Spoink > Grumpig
Trapinch > Vibrava > Flygon
Swablu > Altaria
Barboach > Whiscash
Corphish > Crawdaunt
Baltoy > Claydol
Lileep > Cradily
Anorith > Armaldo
Feebas > Milotic
Wynaut > Wobuffet
Snorunt > Glalie
Spheal > Sealeo > Walrein
Clamperl > Huntail
Clamperl > Gorebyss
Turtwig > Grotle > Torterra
Chimchar > Monferno > Infernape
Burmy > Wormadam
Burmy > Mothim
Combee > Vespiquen
Shellos > Gastrodon
Buneary > Lopunny
Glameow > Purugly
Bonsly > Sudowoodo
Skorupi > Drapion
Ralts > Kirlia > Gallade
Snorunt > Froslass
Patrat > Watchog
Lillipup > Herdier > Stoutland
Purrloin > Liepard
Pidove > Tranquill > Unfezant
Blitzle > Zebstrika
Roggenrola > Boldore > Gigalith
Sewaddle > Swadloon > Leavanny
Yamask > Cofagrigus
Tirtouga > Carracosta
Trubbish > Garbodor
Solosis > Duosion > Reuniclus
Ducklett > Swanna
Deerling > Sawsbuck
Karrablast > Escavalier
Frillish > Jellicent
Joltik > Galvantula
Elgyem > Beheeyem
Litwik > Lampent > Chandelure
Cubchoo > Beartic
Shelmet > Accelgor
Pawniard > Bisharp
Rufflet > Braviary
Vullaby > Mandibuzz
Deino > Zweilous > Hydreigon
Larvesta > Volcarona

I'm not saying that we should ignore all of the "Nect..." names just because they're "Nect..." names. I'm just saying that we shouldn't ignore all of the non-"Nect..." names just because they're non-"Nect..." names. Either way is unreasonably limiting. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but it's just that a lot of submissions seem to indicate to me that needing a shared naming convention is a default assumption, and I just want to show some examples of how it doesn't need to be.

I don't get what your point is there. Rising_Dusk never said that name lines that preserved the first few letters were superior in general. It does make a lot of sense with this CAP in particular. This doesn't have much to do with creativity, either. I see good and bad names that start with and don't start with "Nect".

Bansheed/Banseed

Banshee + Seed, cuz a banshee is a female mythological spirit, and a seed is a seed. Kinda implies that it's a little ghostly seed that grows up to be a proper lady ghoul ^.^

Yeah, I recognize just as well than anyone that not all Pokemon follow that trend. Hell, I submitted the winning name entry to CAP 1's pre-evo which doesn't follow that trend! I don't think they're globally superior, but in my humble opinion (and it is an opinion, which I noted before as well), I think the "Nect" structure makes a lot of sense for this CAP. There is nothing uncreative about it, and quite frankly, it'd be naive of us if we never did it. It's a very real trend in real Pokemon, and it's something that we shouldn't ignore.

Probably going to go with Lunecta or Weebree.
Lunecta is similar to Necturna, and has the same general meaning.
The prevo doesn't really have much in its design that shows its Grass/Ghost typing. Weebree refers to the prevo's size and its similarity to a berry.

Berricose seems too similar to varicose (veins), but maybe that's just me!

Noctarl sounds a bit too much like Noctowl for my liking.

I do like the punning in Botiny, so someone should certainly take Master of the Six Kings' offer and adopt it.

I also like Vader's Necturine; quite simple but appropriate.

I don't like any of the Nect- names, they all sound forced, but I certainly like the *idea* of keeping Nect- as the beginning. If someone comes up with something that sounds good, I'll support it.

While I love Specturna, I'm giving serious thought to changing my submission to Whisberry. It has ghostly connotations in "whisper" and even "wisp", but of course also has the "berry" part - which is fairly crucial to Mos' design. It's also got the pun on "whispery", which I think is very Pokemon.

So... Specturna or Whisberry? Presumably I need to decide fast. Preferences?

tea_and_blues- My personal preference in Whisberry. Specturna sounds to me too much like Necturna and Whisberry is just a cuter fun name that is far more suiting

On the subject of names that begin with Nect-, I am against them for this CAP specifically (as my submission shows). Quite frankly, as the name is derived from nectar, an aspect which a berry can't have, it makes more sense to keep the -turna suffix, if anything at all.

I don't think we have any obligation to use the prefix on the basis of continuing a trend in pokemon names, either. We've already named Syclar, Colosshale, and Voodoll based off of the first part of the evo's name, so we would not cease to represent the names of other pokemon by naming this prevo differently.

Because no pokemon has ever been named for a physical aspect that only its evolution has, I find little sense in keeping the nect- part of the name. The real trend to follow is that only the aspects that a prevo and evo share are shared in names:

Doduo -> Dodrio
Dragonair -> Dragonite
Slugma -> Magcargo
Pupitar -> Tyranitar
Loudred -> Exploud
Buizel -> Floatzel
Petilil -> Lilligant

With that said, I support most the names bold enough to go against the nect- idea, especially Berreave and Meloncholy. I think names like these respect the differences between Necturna and its prevo, which are, in my opinion, as separate as Metapod is from Butterfree. I think the prevo's name, as Metapod's does, should reflect those differences.

Final Submission:

Bulboo
To me i saw her as a bulb more so than a berry. And then i added "boo", which is a word cute little cartoon ghosts are well-known for saying, and isn't she such a cutie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)