CaP 20 Pre-Evo - Part 2 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey there guys, sorry about the delay on closing up the previous part! I've been moving house.

So we decided that the two prevos are going to be pure Water and then Water/Steel making a similar transition to the Piplup line, except it gains its Steel typing a stage earlier.

So we move onto what I think is one of the more interesting sections with the Ability discussion. Naviathan is immune to burns, resists fire and cold and can also be lighter then other forms of the same Pokemon. Naviathan has the abilities: Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal.

The order above I would describe as being Primary/Secondary/Hidden and will be the case for most of the polls that I construct after this too. Please bring up any abilities that logically make sense for these prevos!

Happy Discussing!

Keeping Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal makes sense for the Water/Steel type, but neither Heatproof nor Light Metal (especially Light Metal) make much sense without the Steel typing present...

I'd like to suggest Oblivious for the first (pure water) stage largely because it came up in competitive ability discussion, and can easily be made to make flavour sense. Not only that, it seems slightly less weird than some water flavour ability randomly evolving into a steel flavour ability. Thick Fat complements Heatproof pretty well for the first stage, and easily fits a water type in the cold Arctic wastes. Sure, on evolution it loses extra Ice resistance by ability, but it gains the same amount of resistance by type, making the Water/Steel evo slightly better in that it receives less burn damage via Heatproof.

So, with a little more clarity: Water Veil/Thick Fat/Oblivious -> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal -> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm going to have to agree with Charniodiscus when he says that keeping the current abillity spread for the middle evolution is the option that makes the most sense, which is Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal

For the first pokemon in the stage, Water Veil should defiantly stay seeing as how its a pure water type, and it really only makes sense to keep Water Veil on it. Heatproof I also think should stay, although I am more open to changing my mind on this option than I am for keeping Water Veil. The reasoning for this is because I really don't see any reason why It should go, as it still does make sense, and considering that only Bronzor and Bronzong are the only real pokes who get the ability, we can't really say what gives them heatproof. Light Metal should defiantly be replaced by another ability, since it really does not make any sense on a non steel type. I would like to say that I think Friend Guard might be a suitable ability to replace it with. It does make sense considering Naviathan's boat theme, which I imagine both of its prevos will keep, and because its a unevolved pokemon its pretty likely to be a bit on the cute side, so Friend Guard I can also imagine making a lot of sense when you think of it more like that

So for me, my suggestion is Water Veil/Heatproof/Friend Guard --> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal

The first stage is a pure Water-type, so I agree with either Friend Guard or Oblivious as the Hidden Ability. As it evolves, it could then turn into Light Metal, which Naviathan already has. The Standard Abilities should stay the same for the sake of consistency, though.

No Thick Fat, please. I don't see how they make sense on the Prevos, let alone disappearing when they become Naviathan.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like seeing the good suggestions so far to replace Light Metal on the first evolution. Oblivious and Light Metal are good ideas, particularly as they don't back our artists into a corner when the time comes for it, which I feel Thick Fat would do.

I have some ideas myself though, and any feedback would be most appreciated.

Swift Swim is a fitting ability to replace Light Metal, as our first pre-evolution is mono-Water, and likely to be comparatively less heavy than its evolutions. This ability wasn't given to Naviathan for obvious reasons, but I can certainly picture a little boat gliding across the waves while it's evolved counterparts lumber across them.

Rain Dish was the flavor ability I suggested for Naviathan, and the same reasoning I have for it applies here. A ship designed to withstand the rough northern seas would be unharmed in a drizzle.

Weak Armor is a fitting idea without being artistically restrictive. Assuming our little boat is not made of metal and rather wood, it makes sense that some of it can break off, making the boat more agile at the cost of its own defenses.

I will come up with more suggestions for abilities at some point, these are the first ones that came to mind.

Like the posts above me, I don't see any reason the change the abilities for the middle evolution, as it shares Navi's typing.

My vote would also go for Swift Swim replacing Light Metal for the first prevo, followed by all the same. I don't really see too many other ways to go besides what's already been said, so there's not much else left to really say here, I think.

Just making a quick post so this subforum isn't totally dead.

The second pre-evo's abilities matching Naviathan's would make sense when looked at from a typing viewpoint.

I like the ideas of Thick Fat and Weak Armor the most to round out the first pre-evo's ability set, since Water Veil is pretty much a given. Thick Fat acts much like Heatproof in the sense that it reduces Fire damage and Ice damage (the latter of which can be viewed as fulfilling Naviathan's Steel typing). I have the image of a cute little chubby pre-evo (think Spheal) since Naviathan itself is not only large but a bit wide, and Thick Fat compliments that. Thick Fat is not an evolutionary line must, either. Tepig and Pignite have it, but Emboar loses it.

Weak Armor just fits nice in my opinion due to the fact that the ship probably would have some more unreliable protective covering.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, since this has kinda died and I am really sorry for that, what do you guys think of this:

Naviathan: Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal.

Water Veil/Heatproof/Friend Guard --> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal
Water Veil/Heatproof/Oblivious -> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal
Water Veil/Heatproof/Swift Swim --> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal

I'd like a bit more discussion on Weak Armour and Thick Fat... I'm not really sure on either of them at the moment. If there is a general consensus to leave the second prevos abilities the same as Naviathans, I won't even take those to slate and will just throw them down as its abilities.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, since this has kinda died and I am really sorry for that, what do you guys think of this:

Naviathan: Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal.

Water Veil/Heatproof/Friend Guard --> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal
Water Veil/Heatproof/Oblivious -> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal
Water Veil/Heatproof/Swift Swim --> Water Veil/Heatproof/Light Metal

I'd like a bit more discussion on Weak Armour and Thick Fat... I'm not really sure on either of them at the moment. If there is a general consensus to leave the second prevos abilities the same as Naviathans, I won't even take those to slate and will just throw them down as its abilities.
That's a good looking slate to me. I don't see a good reason to include Thick Fat, particularly as it railroads the artists to an extent.

One thing to note about Weak Armor is that while it certainly gives the impression of the first preevolution baring some sort of protective covering (which is not in itself bad), it does not restrict artistic endeavors because Pokemon such as Slugma and Vanillite receive it while not having any such armor. Regarding flavor, it could generally be accepted that a smaller and unevolved Pokemon would be much weaker than its latter forms.

I doubt there is any actual need to think in terms of competitive play.

I agree with the slate so far, and The Avalanches has a point regarding Thick Fat. The middle stage's Abilities are good enough as they are. Nothing really much to say.

Looks perfect to me, wouldn't expect anything else. And honestly, it's so far looked like we're 100% in agreement for the second prevo, so I don't see any need for that on the slate. And I think that all three of the above abilities feel better to me than Thick Fat/Weak Armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)