CaP 22 Prevo - Part 1 - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hi All!

Welcome to the Typing Discussion of Kerfluffles prevo! Let's get going on this and make it memorable and fast before we get swallowed up by SM hype! Kerfluffle was voted to have a single evolution, so lets get going!

There are only a couple of rules for the prevo process, number one of which is this is a completely flavour based project. The whole prevo process is just for fun! Some of the critters we have made in the past have been adorable but deadly! Competitive reasoning is thrown out of the window here, and all flavour based reasoning is perfectly valid. "It just makes sense" is just as much an opinion as any other.

Please also remember these are likely to never be implemented onto the server or used apart from in CaPASB. This is supposed to be a fun process. It's a great time for newcomers to get their feet wet in CAP, a great place for CAP regulars to keep making Pokemon during the downtime, and overall just a cool project to work on during the Policy Review stage/downtime of the CAP process. The primary purpose of this is to have fun, so let your imaginations run wild devising the most intricate and logical arguments!

Kefluffle's fantastic Fairy/Fighting typing comes together to make an incredibly powerful foe. As with all the other prevos, this typing is automatically added to the final slate. What other types would you like to see presented?

And finally, a quick recap on Kerfluffle itself!

Name: Kerfluffle

Typing: Fairy/Fighting
Abilities: Natural Cure / Aroma Veil
Stats: 84/78/86/115/88/119
Height: 2.1 meters (6'9'')
Weight: 24.2 kg (53.4 lbs)

Sprites:

Movepool said:
- Scratch
- Feather Dance
- Fairy Wind
5: Fairy Wind
9: Yawn
13: Wake-Up Slap
17: Draining Kiss
21: Endure
25: Crush Claw
29: Scary Face
33: Parting Shot
37: Play Rough
41: Rest
45: Aura Sphere
49: Moonblast
53: Close Combat
57: Nightmare
57: Dream Eater

TM06: Toxic
TM08: Bulk Up
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM12: Taunt
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM41: Torment
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Round
TM52: Focus Blast
TM53: Energy Ball
TM67: Retaliate
TM68: Giga Impact
TM77: Psych Up
TM85: Dream Eater
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
TM95: Snarl
TM98: Power-Up Punch
TM99: Dazzling Gleam
TM100: Confide
HM04: Strength

Charm (Clefable)
Encore (Clefable)
Quick Guard (Sawk)
Wide Guard (Throh)
Wish (Clefable)

Drain Punch
Giga Drain
Helping Hand
Low Kick
Snore

Personally I think Fairy would be fitting. Only upon evolving after learning to take care of itself would it add the fighting type.

Pure Fairy Type makes the most sense to me personally. Fairy/Normal would be really nice to have since a baby pillow would be... a normal pillow. Another reason I say this is because a pre evo to Kerfluffle wouldn't be a very good fighter (atleast in my mind) so the Fighting Type does not make much sense. Sure we can have pure Fairy but Fairy/Normal is more fun! even though no one like normal types DX

Last edited:
I guess Fairy could work, since a baby pillow wouldn't want to participate in combat. Also, Floatoy was the only recent mono-type Prevo, so I'd love to see another one.

In my opinion, Normal/Fairy is appropriate. Azurill is Normal/Fairy type before becoming Water/Fairy, and I feel that the same makes sense for this pre-evo to stay Normal type before becoming tough and powerful with the fighting type. It also fits in with the Igglybuff line, who generally look as close to baby-ish as Pokemon can get. That being said, I also support Fairy type, due to the reasons mentioned in earlier posts

Pure Fairy is an obvious choice for Kerfluffle's prevolution, but given that snake_rattler's movepool has Kerfluffle being pretty mischievous right from the start, with moves like Scratch, Wake-Up Slap and Crush Claw relatively early in the level-up set, it would also make sense for it to be Fairy/Fighting all through the evolution chain.

(I don't like Fairy/Normal, Kerfluffle doesn't have the special Normal-type movepool that would be appropriate if it had a Normal-type antecedent. And I don't feel as though the additional Normal typing really adds anything flavour-wise.)

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I'm inclined to agree with the notion that Fairy/Fighting is probably the only option that will make a decent amount of sense for the movepool, doubly so if we have the evolution at the Parting Shot level.

I'm advocating for Fairy. It would mean there's more monotypes among CAPs, as well as making some flavor for a different stat distribution. I always like it when a Pokémon turns out to do something different from its pre-evolution.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
I'd also say Fairy is a good typing. Kerf is based on pillow fighting, but I don't think we should have the entire line as fighting types. Instead, I think it'd be best to have the prevo go with the concept of a fairy pillowmon, while the evo builds upon that by also integrating pillow fighting, kind of like how Cactea brings the idea of a cactus mon, while Cacturne builds up on it by making it dark type and adding scarecrow elements!

I'm very much against Fairy/Normal. I find the typing quite tacky and it doesn't integrate much well with Kerf's current movepool, since the only Normal moves it gets by level-up are I think Scratch and Crush Claw. Sure Normal CAN be added to its type, but it doesn't mean it HAS to!

Sure, a lot of Kerf's movepool is Fighting moves, but the thing with fighting moves is that stuff that Kerf gets like Wake-Up Slap and Brick Break are pretty easy to fit a non-Fighting mon, so you can still have a few of Kerf's fighting moves stick around.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looking at the movepool and the general concept, I too like Pure Fairy for the Pre-vo. The only Fighting moves in level-up are Wake-Up Slap, Aura Sphere and CC. There's plenty of Normal and Fairy mons with Wake-Up Slap because it's one of those cutesy moves. In fact, about the same number of non-Fighting types learn the move than Fighting types. In fact, a number of those Pokemon don't have Fighting as their base type but have an evolution with it (Poliwag/Whirl, Shroomish).

Of course, I also like the idea of keeping Fairy/Fighting very much as well.

I think that Fairy and Fairy/Normal are the most reasonable option. It doesn't feel fitting to have a little pillow being a fighting type, and either of these work. I think mono-Fairy type is probably slightly better, because of the small special Normal type movepool as previously mentioned by others in this thread.

Fairy or Fairy/Normal seem like pretty solid typings and I'm leaning more towards Fairy/Normal. I'm so glad I spent all day doodling a kerfluffle pre-evo.

I'd say Fairy would make sense if it isn't tough whatsoever, but Fairy/Fighting would also be a good typing. Fairy/Normal isn't that fitting imo, and it's pretty awkward from a gameplay standard and oxymoronic from a flavor standpoint.

i think only Fairy beacuse is a prevo and kerff lock more cute in comparation of fight and the prevo can be more cute

I'm kind of tempted to say Fighting, if only for the bizarre imagery of a regular Fighting-type baby being told to soften up a bit and taking it a bit too literally. But otherwise I think I'm with the majority here when I say pure Fairy sounds about right.

Fairy/Normal is awkward (and common).
If I recall correctly, Fairy/Normal is a typing that has never been done yet, so you're statement on that being common is incorrect. While Fairy/Normal is a bit of an awkward typing, it does seem reasonable to give it this, showing how the Pre-Evo develops to find it's strengths, and puts behind old parts of it's life. So, I definetly do support the Fairy/Normal typing for it.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
If I recall correctly, Fairy/Normal is a typing that has never been done yet, so you're statement on that being common is incorrect. While Fairy/Normal is a bit of an awkward typing, it does seem reasonable to give it this, showing how the Pre-Evo develops to find it's strengths, and puts behind old parts of it's life. So, I definetly do support the Fairy/Normal typing for it.
Jigglypuff line, Mega Audino and Azurill are all Fairy/Normal, actually. And considering how small the number of Fairy-types is, Normal actually ties with Fairy/Steel for secondary type with the most number of lines, so it's quite relatively common!

Jigglypuff line, Mega Audino and Azurill are all Fairy/Normal, actually. And considering how small the number of Fairy-types is, Normal actually ties with Fairy/Steel for secondary type with the most number of lines, so it's quite relatively common!
Oh, well the more you know 0-0
Also, I could've sworn that the Jigglypuff line was pure fairy after the introduction of Fairy types...

Maybe Fairy/Dark? Baby Kerfluffle could be a little troublemaker, and it only evolves when it learns to play nice.
If we had a splitting evolution line that would be awesome! Kind of a shoulder angel/devil thing. As we are not creating Kurfluffle's Evil Twin, I'm going to go with Fairy here

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
OK So I am going to tie it up here and go with the following three:

Fairy/Fighting
Fairy
Fairy/Normal

Nothing else of note was really brought up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)