CaP 24 Prevo - Part 2 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Flower Veil but in my opinion that restricts art submissions even more than Leaf Guard, since Jumbao doesn't even have flowers. I'm also a bit sad that Heatproof seems to be out of the running for what it's worth, but I don't have any better suggestion for the Overcoat slot(except for maybe that if Leaf Guard should go anywhere on this dude, I don't see why it should be replacing Drought instead of Overcoat). Vital Spirit seems fitting to me as a Drought replacement but I appreciate that that may not be relevant or supported at all.

I think an interesting option that hasn't been discussed is Flower Veil. Flower Veil acts like a Leaf Guard that actually does what it's supposed to do when it's on a Grass type, which is protect against Status. There are a ton of Chlorophyll mons in LC, having Jumbao Prevo do something unique with a useful ability that isn't sun related might be cool.
Yes yes 1 million times yes, please please please please please, this is literally perfect omg yes.

(I'll use Jumbaby to refer to Jumbao prevo because it makes no sense entomology-wise so it shouldn't be pull jumping and saying Jumbao prevo is annoying)

Ok so in all seriousness, this is essentially perfect for where I think Jumbaby should go (a support mon for sun, sand, and hail), although it doesn't help hail in any tangible way. Starting with sun, Jumbaby can make a great sun setter, but it should be much less OP due to a lack of momentum moves. But, the buff Flower Gift provides is certainly very nice, as it can allow for Growth Chlorophyll mons to sweep past emergency checks, but more importantly, they cannot be paralyzed. Additionally, in sand teams this prevents Lileep from being Toxic'd or slept by Hypnosis Gastly, making it an even better wall, and allowing it to safely use Stockpile. Finally, this also allows for defensive Grass-spam, and personally I think most new archetypes are fun for a metagame and allow for more counterplay. Overall, giving Jumbaby will diversify CAP LC in a way we've never seen before, as well as allow it to fulfill it's evolution's same role in a different way.

E: to clarify his is for CAP LC Doubles (weird ik) but it's still super cool

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Baobab trees reproduce via flowers, and yes I know it seems limiting on art but, well, they made Rock/Poison with Regenerator work so I guess up your game >_>.

I think you're misinterpreting how Flower Veil works though. It would protect ally Grass mons against status in some kind of LC Doubles meta, but otherwise it basically operates like innate Safeguard for Jumb prevo. It's useful as a status absorbing pivot and sun or sand setter, and gives CAP something to do other than compete with Cottonnee or the huge number of other Grass mons on their terms.

Regenerator on Cruci was one of the primary abilities decided on before initial Art Submissions closed, no? If flavor reasoning is valid justification in this thread, I think the impact that abilities will have on art submissions is a valid criticism too, as Pip has already stated about Leaf Guard. I still like Flower Veil, I'm not even trying to discourage it, but that's the biggest downside it holds in my eyes.

Dj Breloominati♬

born to play, forced to john
is a Top Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
I want to go with a different approach - as I'm volunteering for the ability Cheek pouch since baobabs store water in their stems and other parts pf the body and use it when needed. This makes it easy imo for the designers to just fluff up the mon like jumbao. With this ability it can run a stat boosting berry with ease like for example salac - to outspeed the rest of the opponents team and clean.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I like Solar Power very much, granting Jumbao's prevo a solid niche in status control is also very appealing, so Flower Veil gets support.

i think that the pre evo should have dancer as a ability instead of drought. Its a competitive ability that et you use sword dance,quiver and can help a lot

Modedit: The Typing Discussion thread has already concluded. Please do not suggest typings now.

Gonna revive this discussion by saying Dancer is a bad idea overall, since only the Oricorio friends get it, and it simply would be bad optics for only the prevo to get an exclusive ability.

Also, most lines keep the same HA, so Overcoat should stay.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Dancer isn't really happening as its a very niche ability and probably doesn't have the right characteristics we are going for.

It looks like most people want to keep Overcoat and the only other ability that was brought up and discussed at length was Flower Veil. Which abilities do you guys want to be swapped around? Are we all in keeping with having just the primary ability change?

Solar Power/Trace/Overcoat
Leaf Guard/Trace/Overcoat
Chlorophyll/Trace/Overcoat
Flower Veil/Trace/Overcoat

Or would we rather see other options? I'm looking to get this wrapped up very soon so we can move on to the next step.

Yeah, seems that those four options will work quite nicely. I have no other options to suggest, but that slate looks good.

I agree. I would be happy if any of those things won. Also, I think for simplicity’s sake, we should just make the poll only have the primary abilities as options and just approve Trace and Overcoat with ICC.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I agree. I would be happy if any of those things won. Also, I think for simplicity’s sake, we should just make the poll only have the primary abilities as options and just approve Trace and Overcoat with ICC.
This was the plan if no one wanted to change any of the other abilities which seems to be the case.

Still iffy about Leaf Guard and Flower Veil being slated before art subs wrap up but I've said my peace about that. Everything else seems fine to me!

i dont really see why Flower Veil would be slated since jumbao hasnt got anything to do with flowers or anything to indicate flowers on the prevo- but the other options seem fine. seems like the selling point of flower veil is the competitive aspect but for the prevo the flavor should surely come first

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
After more thoughts, I'm going to drop Flower Veil. Have been both positive and negative comments about it. which are about equal in how it would roll out.

Final slate will be the original three picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)