CaP 25 G Prevo - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
It's time everyone! Let's get these guys some artwork! We have a few ability polls to finish off, but this thread will be running for as long as I can feasibly allow it to give all you amazing artists time to make some cohesive designs!

This art thread will require you to post both a first and second form of your prevo! These designs are linked!

This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of the CAP X. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread. Warnings will be posted multiple days ahead of submission closure.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full-sized image, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
    • The image has a file size of no larger than 200 kB.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists must include a warning when posting links to images with file sizes exceeding 500 kB.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Design included in image tags below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the main design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image must have a file size of no more than 200 kB.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I said earlier, please post two images with the above rules stating which form is which. It should be obvious but tag them anyway! These designs will be voted on as pairs! So there will only be a SINGLE POLL FOR BOTH FORMES. Final Submissions are open from the start of this thread.

Our Prevos So Far:

Caribolt
Type:
Grass -> Grass/Electric -> Grass/Electric

Smokomodo
Type:
Fire -> Fire/Ground -> Fire/Ground

Snaelstrom
Type:
Water -> Water/Bug -> Water/Bug

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

its deer time babyyy

Based on a lot of cervines, tho mostly deer. While most infantile deers and the like don't have horns, searching it up I found that not only do young caribou have horns, but they're stupidly adorable. They're twiggy appearance was the basis for the base's horns, which was good to have since most grass starters have a very evident grass element in their design
Not much to talk about the mid since its just a connection between the base and Caribolt, but my main idea was the horns first grow taller, then stretch out into the railgun shape of Caribolt's horns. + they're lightning bolt shaped and it overall has a sharp shape for the Electric type. And you gotta love that high collar bruh

Will probably have each member of the line have different colors, darkening through the stages. Stay tuned.

WIP

Edit: I did some hard changes on the first stage and the second one based on the feedback I had (thank u guys).

Ok, finally participating in CAP as a artist. My designs are based on deers, the first one is like a sassy baby deer, he know how powerful he will be when he evolve and have his antlers so he is kinda mean rich boy. The grass on his body is fluffly 'cause he is just a grass type, the electricity don't interfere with the leaves yet. The second is a arrogant young deer, he have the power of electricity. the grass in his body is getting more hardened 'cause of the eletricity. When he evolve again he will learn the power of his antlers and will become more responsible.

Last edited:
WIP

Ok, finally participating in CAP as a artist. My designs are based on deers, the first one is like a sassy baby deer, he know how powerful he will be when he evolve and have his antlers so he is kinda mean rich boy. The grass on his body is fluffly 'cause he is just a grass type, the electricity don't interfere with the leaves yet. The second is a arrogant young deer, he have the power of electricity. the grass in his body is getting more hardened 'cause of the eletricity. When he evolve again he will learn the power of his antlers and will become more responsible.

Edit: I finish coloring, I hoping to improve this at the final submission time.
The base stage looks a bit too much like Skiddo imo, the mid stage looks fine.
Edit: Much better!

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

little deer has nothing real special.
middle deer has a special pair of leaves on its head, which have veins that coarse with electricity.

WIP

Oh "deer"! I've arted again! XD

The first stage for this submission is based on a chevrotain or mouse deer, and the second off a prehistoric ungulate related to mouse deer known as Synthetoceras! I figured the forked nose horn looking like a taser prod would be a great precursor to Caribolt's railgun antlers. The second form also has a mix in aesthetic of teenage punks and fantasy elves, too, like a rebellious young teenaged forest prince compared to the elegance and majesty of the final form.

WIP

Oh "deer"! I've arted again! XD

The first stage for this submission is based on a chevrotain or mouse deer, and the second off a prehistoric ungulate related to mouse deer known as Synthetoceras! I figured the forked nose horn looking like a taser prod would be a great precursor to Caribolt's railgun antlers. The second form also has a mix in aesthetic of teenage punks and fantasy elves, too, like a rebellious young teenaged forest prince compared to the elegance and majesty of the final form.
These look great! Out of everything so far, I see the best connection to Caribolt. My one issue is with the middle evolution. I think the nose horn is superfluous, and it distracts from the rest of the design. When I first saw it, my eyes couldn't process what was happening.

W.I.P (First sketch)

So here are the designs I came up with. I felt like I wanted it to transition a little more into the electric type, because I feel like the electric type is a little bit random without a short transition. There are quite alot of eraser marks because it takes me a little while to find design I like but I think I like this one. It's also a little difficult to work with the middle stage since making look accidentally "too evolved".

Even though caribou are different than most deer, though I still wanted the prevo to have a cutsey-fawn look to it. I still gave it little nub antlers since young caribou do have horns. I plan to add a little more detail to the second evo but I'm a little bit stuck on what to add, because I don't want it to look crammed.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

W.I.P (First sketch)

So here are the designs I came up with. I felt like I wanted it to transition a little more into the electric type, because I feel like the electric type is a little bit random without a short transition. There are quite alot of eraser marks because it takes me a little while to find design I like but I think I like this one. It's also a little difficult to work with the middle stage since making look accidentally "too evolved".

Even though caribou are different than most deer, though I still wanted the prevo to have a cutsey-fawn look to it. I still gave it little nub antlers since young caribou do have horns. I plan to add a little more detail to the second evo but I'm a little bit stuck on what to add, because I don't want it to look crammed.
I love them, I can't wait for you to develop these art more!

Final submission!
Stage 1 -

Stage 2 -

Here are the finished designs. As I mentioned in my W.I.P post I wanted it to transition into the electric type a little more, to make the electric typing feel less sudden. The first prevo is meant to have a cutsey fawn look, but still has antlers due to young caribou having antlers. The 2nd prevo is when it starts to really transition into a caribou. The pokemon stores electricity in it's horns, that it uses to scare other pokemon away from the foliage it eats. They are also used as lightning rods to store electricity.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I've made some image compilations so you can compare your designs against the canonical starters'! I hope they're a helpful reference when it comes to getting that "starter feel".

Grass Stage 1
Grass Stage 2

--

Edit (2/21/19): Here are some of my WIPs for Caribolt pre-evos!

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Last edited:
Final Submission

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Shrank down the horn on the second stage, and adjusted the ear and antler on the right side of the second's head. Should be better now!

As noted previously, these two are based on a chevrotain or mouse deer, and a Synthetoceras, respectively, with the second stage having a forked nose horn like a taser prod, hinting at Caribolt's railgun horns!

Hope y'all like 'em!

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Stage 1

Stage 2

I went with a holly- and Rudolph-themed design for the first-stage 'mon. :3 It should be self-explanatory. It absorbs electricity through its nose, but the prickly parts haven't become electrified yet. It ended up looking a bit like a Christmas cake after getting color palette feedback from #flavor in the CAP Discord server, which also ties into its secondary theme.

The mid-stage 'mon is a pronghorn! I wanted to make the antlers a stepping stone towards railgun horns in that they might plausibly look like they can be used to concentrate and fire electricity. Thus I made them look like prongs and those magical staves you see in fantasy RPGs.

Thanks to paintseagull on her suggestions on making the mid-stage 'mon look less dog-like. :)

Thank you to everyone who helped with refining these Pokemon--especially with their color palettes. That's Darquezze, Divinity, faithviolet, Fristbiyt, lezzy cuttlefish, MrDollSteak, paintseagull, Reiga, ShunosaurusLii, Sunfished, and warren685.

Supporting images:

Edit: Tweaked the first-stage 'mon's mouth and linework of the mid-stage 'mon. Thanks to Darquezze, Reiga and Sunfished for the feedback!

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all!

Consider this your just under 48 hours remaining post! All the designs for all the starters look ace so far!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

its deer time babyyy

Based on a lot of cervines, tho mostly deer. While most infantile deers and the like don't have horns, searching it up I found that not only do young caribou have horns, but they're stupidly adorable. They're twiggy appearance was the basis for the base's horns, which was good to have since most grass starters have a very evident grass element in their design
Not much to talk about the mid since its just a connection between the base and Caribolt, but my main idea was the horns first grow taller, then stretch out into the railgun shape of Caribolt's horns. + they're lightning bolt shaped and it overall has a sharp shape for the Electric type. And you gotta love that high collar bruh

Will probably have each member of the line have different colors, darkening through the stages. Stay tuned.
WIP

Edit: I did some hard changes on the first stage and the second one based on the feedback I had (thank u guys).

Its been awhile, any progress seeing that final subs will be due soon?

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Final Submission

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Shrank down the horn on the second stage, and adjusted the ear and antler on the right side of the second's head. Should be better now!

As noted previously, these two are based on a chevrotain or mouse deer, and a Synthetoceras, respectively, with the second stage having a forked nose horn like a taser prod, hinting at Caribolt's railgun horns!

Hope y'all like 'em!
I appreciate the 1st form as it deviates from the standard Christmas look that other users are going core. The shading looks very nice and I'm a huge fan of 2nd evolutions nose prong. Also the beard is cool to.
:blobnom:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Stage 1

Stage 2

grass 1:
simple deer baby with a pelt of leaves that resemble a coat, playing on the cold atmosphere caribolt's base animal originates from. The antlers on its head are pinecones, which can open up similar to a flower. These pinecones can also shoot a flurry of pinecone needles, which can "stun" targets similar to a light taser.

grass 2:
the pinecones on the head, specifically the yellow "seed" on the previous evolution, have been upgraded to giant leaves which have electricity-filled veins. These veins are where it summons the electricity it needs to attack with. The body was designed to have a foresty evergreen look, with the white part of its mane and its tail to be similar to "snow". The legs also help play into the forest look by resembling the trunks that hold up the green foresty part. (also excuse that this is in a different artstyle. no time to sugi render it for now ;;)

When it evolves into caribolt, the leaves end up shedding and leaving behind the veins only

supporting art:
Grass 1 with friends
Grass 2 with friends

Final Submission

Base Stage

Midstage

Last-Minute deers with a little unicorn. All I have to comment about it: General idea of the base stage was the fact it actually CAN use electricity...just not generate it on its own very well. (cough cough lightning rod, any electric moves its movepool may or may not have)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)