CAP 25 - Part 6 - CAP 25w Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Nearly my final submission, because i dont know if i will have time for work on it before art poll

Some last feedback are welcome, especially about pincers on the helmet. According with some feedback on discord, maybe these pincers are too much ?

It was for remind more the "spider-crab" concept and for a little viking style (matching good with the beard-fur imo)

Thanks very much for all of your feedback on the forum and on discord #flavour, it helped a lot !

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Ugly support art

And here it is! The final version of my scubeetle (not the actual name please don't delete this post mods)! I added some kind of buoys around this mon's arms, and I added shading. In counterpart, I removed the lights on the arms to avoid making it look to much like an electric or steel type.

This design is based on a dysticidae, also know as predaceous diving beetles, and a submarine. Diving beetles are known for their ability to swim fast by propulsing themselves and for the fact that they uses small doses of toxins to catch and eat their preys — hence poison heal

A final thanks for all the support and all the feedback I received on discord! It helped me a lot to do the right choices through the process.

Last edited:
Final Submission

A quick submission before submitting ends. This starter has a design with crab and lobster elements while also looking like gym mats or a ramp (like the one they scale in American Ninja Warrior) to emphasize its defensive role. This starter has antennas that are fake crab eyes. The real eyes are tucked away behind its exoskeleton, kind of like Forretress and other bug Pokemon. The color scheme is very vibrant and saturated to show that it is potentially toxic (poison heal).

Hastily drawn back
Different expressions

Last edited:
Final Submission

After unanimous feedbacks about that, i removed the helmet crab claws

I put the purple aspect (for the Poison Heal ability) on eyes instead of on the fur for keep an intuitive water-starter style

Concept :
It's supposed to be a "classic" spider with a big bubble-like body, but with some crustacean shells for a reference to the spider crab
Why a fatty spider with some fluffiness and not a badass terrifying spider ? Because i opted for something a lot more "cute", "likable" as a starter final evolution, but without losing the bug-typing aspect. A pokemon that new pokemon trainers (especially childrens) can be able to want as friend and protector even if he have insect aspect.
If i reach this design, its because of people feedbacks on discord and on the forum, so again thanks a lot for that !

Good luck at every submitters for the poll :)

Final Submission
The theme for this is "centipede" and "Kamen Rider". This one has the more overt Japanese trope reference compared to the other two, but it rounds out the trio nicely as a tokusatsu hero. On the animal basis, I wanted something more exotic, so this amphibious centipede fit the bill.
This boy had the most revisions, due to being decidedly more humanoid. The constants between designs though are the scarf and long limbs, all shaped like centipede bodies.

Poison Heal works for a venomous monster that already has its two types accounted for.

Rear:

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Design is based on a Blue Glaucus, otherwise known as the Dragon Sea Slug. Hopefully the justification of it living in water sells the Water-type, while it being a sea slug helps warrant it to be Bug-type. For the ability, the blue glaucus actually live off of eating venomous jellyfish,(and even uses the venom for itself!), which is entirely fitting for the ability Poison Heal. For moves and stats, I didn't try to make it particularly too specialized-looking in one area, so I'm confident that it can use both Physical and Special moves with ease; using its many tentacles for contact attacks and emitting things from its mouth.

Supporting Art:
Different Views to understand its anatomy
Random Poses
Size Comparison

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting Sketch
Starter Trio

Heres my water entry, based on the giant triton snail and the Great Barrier Reef! Triton snails are super important for the reef because they eat crown of thorns starfish (like Toxapex) which eat coral and are highly poisonous to everything else but the triton snail. So my triton snail is a protector to Corsola who it befriends and allows to hide in the coral on its back. Its a tough mon and its thick shell provides strong defense from physical attacks! Make sure to give it a Toxic Orb to chew on so it can get recovery throughout the match! Alternatively, feed it your opponent's pesky Toxapex.

I may add more supporting art later or draw references if it makes it into later polls

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Never got around tinkering with it much, but didn't want to miss the last train so here it is cleaned up and shaded.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Supporting sketches:
This was the first design of the three I worked out for this CAP process! A tardigrade, or "water bear", is a fantastic fit for the Water starter's attributes. Tardigrades are microscopic animals with four pairs of legs, which makes them quite bug-like. They are called "water" bears, a clear fit for the Water type. They are called water "bears", which make them a good fit with other starters, as they are animal-based. They are known for being able to endure a variety of harsh conditions, up to and including the vacuum of space, which is perfect for the defensive behemoth we want the Water-type starter to be. As justification for Poison Heal, you could say that as tardigrades eat bacteria, they eat something that can poison someone. (It's a bit better than using their endurance as justification, since I feel that'd be more Immunity than Poison Heal.)

For CAP 25w's stats, a tardigrade fits because they are highly resilient (high defensive stats), and their name literally means "slow stepper" (low speed).

--

In general, I'm not too fond of using the justification of a venomous or poisonous species receiving Poison Heal. We've got 'mons like Umbreon or Seismitoad that secrete poison without having Poison as a typing, but it doesn't make them any less immune to outside poisons, let alone heal from them. The argument of 'mons feeding on dead things (as scorpionflies and some mushrooms do) is more solid to me. However, Pokemon being Pokemon, logic can be thrown out.

Last edited:
In general, I'm not too fond of using the justification of a venomous or poisonous species receiving Poison Heal. We've got 'mons like Umbreon or Seismitoad that secrete poison without having Poison as a typing, but it doesn't make them any less immune to outside poisons, let alone heal from them. The argument of 'mons feeding on dead things (as scorpionflies and some mushrooms do) is more solid to me. However, Pokemon being Pokemon, logic can be thrown out.
To be fair, Breloom and Gliscor are poisonous. Breloom has pokedex entries that state its ability to release toxic spores and that the seeds on its tail are poisonous. Gliscor doesn't have pokedex entries saying its poisonous, but it does learn Poison Jab, Poison Tail, and Poison Sting. Breloom also learns Venoshock and Sludge Bomb. While this might not be the sole reason they have Poison Heal as opposed to other poison related abilities, I think it's understandable why most designs are using toxicity as justification for the ability rather than no justification. I hope people don't this criticism too seriously because I'm pretty sure it invalidates every submission except for Pipotchi's.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

This is my CAP 25W Design entry, based on the Great Diving Beetle.

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

Design Justification

(click image for hi-res version exceeding 500kb)
When Water/Bug was decided upon, I was slightly worried on the selection of base animals since the Diving Bell Spider, Water Strider and the Isopods already got used as canon Pokemon. Despite other invertebrates being an option, I was adamant on using an insectoid as base because that in itself already justifies the bug typing. I went with the Great Diving Beetle in the end because the water starter we are going for is a bulky one.

For design elements I chose some basic Water type visual cues such as hind flippers, scuba mask-like eyes and a sizable amount of froth on its neck which is a nod to the Great Diving Beetle's method to store air while diving.

As a design quirk, I wanted to give a jobclass theme amongst my starters, much like what has been done on the Gen 6 and 7 ones. This design in particular follows a Viking-class aesthetic, which is supported mostly by facial features like the beard-like mandibles that extend to the top to look like horns, and the aforementioned froth that comes off as a fur pelt worn by Vikings. The Carapace is also a slight nod to the round Viking Shield.
Stats and Abilities
Poison Heal bodes well for most entries for 25w. This includes the Great Diving Beetle as well since it could secrete toxic substances. (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fr398) However, beetles in general aren't regarded too much as inherently poisonous so I added stingers on the viking beetle's claws to help show Poison Heal.

91 HP / 94 Atk / 110 Def / 80 SpA / 97 SpD / 63 Spe
Vikings in RPGs are usually categorized as a slow, tanky class which is a perfect fit for the general spread we are going for. Offenses are justified by its bulky build, thick arms, and the Viking belt that has a hole to discharge blasts of water.
Supporting Art
A B C
D E F

(A-C) Initial Iterations, (D) Hydrocannon, (E) Proposed Size, (F) Starter Group Pic (click image for hi-res version exceeding 500kb)

CLOSING REMARKS

CAP25 is definitely one of the more exciting CAPs to date. 25W in particular had the challenge of making a Bug-type look like it could line up with the other Water starters in terms of design while avoiding to look like some early route bug's final evolution ingame. Whether or not I did well in that challenge, only time will tell. Thanks to everyone in this thread and in CAP Discord for all the feedback and support given to this design. Good luck to everyone~!

Last edited:
Final Submission

Is it a parasite that outgrew its host? Is it an isopod that pretends to be a venomous fish? Is it actually dangerous after spending so much time pretending? The world may never know.

A concept inspired by Cymothoa exigua (tongue-eating louse), lionfish, and Batesian mimicry. Tongue-eating parasites are a morbid concept, so I thought that an innocuously cute design would be a good counterbalance for it. Although the "fins" and patterns are heavily inspired by real-life lionfish, I changed the normally brownish-orange color palette to something more traditional for a water starter. The lionfish was chosen as the "dangerous fish" to mimic because of its real-life venomous qualities and warning coloration, even if there isn't a current Pokemon equivalent.

My supporting art is some very rough sketches of what this design would (approximately) look like from different angles, as well as a height comparison.

Supporting Sketches

Special thanks to the people in Discord who gave feedback.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As per this post, you have at least 48 hours until art submissions close. Remember to follow all of the rules in the opening post of the art thread if you want your designs to be included in the polls!

I've updated the opening post in the thread with the stats for CAP 25, for reference.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Reworked from my original concept of a nudibranch starter, its a beefed up rogue sea slug marine admiral!

The nudibranch's slimy look, ability to release venom and other chemicals, and especially the ability of some species to steal the toxins from the jellyfish they eat, fit well into Poison Heal.
Its military marine aesthetic cements it as burly and more physically inclined, just like it stat spread implies. And of course, as a slug, the extremely slow speed this CAP has is well justified, especially with all the weight its carrying around.

Thanks a lot for the feedback from everyone on Discord for this design. 25w certainly was the toughest one of the three to design, so I'm at least glad I managed to sneak in a design at the last hour!

Supporting Material:
1. Size
2. Group Shot

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting art:
1- Design on its back.
2- Size vs Trainer that stands about 1.4m.
3- Squad picture! (warning 500kb+ image)

This is the result of multiple reworks to my shield shrimp, which ended up being some kind of shield shimp/beetle/water scorpion hybrid with some monk undertones. The purple helps tie in Poison Heal, as well as fit with the overall theme I was going for the three starters which was 'glowing/flashy patterns'. It also looks like it's holding a toxic orb within its tail. It's a bulky boy with big hands, and a hard shell to protect itself from harm :D

Many thanks to Pip, Golurkyourself, Sun, Reiga, Quanyails, StephXFM, Kyrads and Magistrum over on Discord as the main people who pushed me to redesign my ideas and question my approaches. Without them I would have never attempted half of the things I did, and my end result was significantly better for it. Also many thanks to all of the users that gave me feedback both on Discord and over here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)