CAP 27 - Part 11 - Shiny Palette Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Now that we've got our sprite determined, it's time to make some shinies!

----

CAP 27 So Far

-----

Art Design:

-----

Shiny Palette Rules
  • Shiny palettes must be submitted as palette swaps of the winning sprite entry. No other modifications to the image may be made.
  • Colors in a shiny palette must have the same relative hue and brightness compared to the corresponding color on the original sprite.
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark red
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> white
        • Dark blue -> gray
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> gray
        • Dark blue -> black
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> dark green
        • Dark blue -> light green
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark green
      [*]
  • Images must be in PNG format.
No more than three WIP shiny palettes can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the shiny palette rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Drop/upload image' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.
Sprite:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

I went with a Chinese New Year (or Lunar New Year for others) colour scheme for Astrolotl since Fireworks were originally from China and of course often accompany celebrations of the new year. I think it does also double up as looking somewhat like a gymnastics costume which is fine flavour too!

Last edited:
WIP1

Purple is the color I chose for the red "robe", because purple is associated with royalty. Blue contrasts with the purple just enough to be distinct, so the gold is now blue. I kept the neon blue antennae and fire the same; I didn't find a color I liked for them, and there are many shiny arts which keep some elements the same color. The legs are orange to better complement the increased amount of cool colors (especially blue) in the design.

WIP2

For my second one I wanted to do the exact opposite. I changed the tail and antennae, but kept the robes the same. This one has less thought put into it, honestly, but I think it is also pretty interesting; it has a lot of color to it.

WIP3

For my third one, I decided to go in the direction of being more firework like; now it's tail and antennae are grey and white to resemble smoke. This is another one which keeps the robes the same color.

Tell me which you think looks best!

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Final Submission

Hi all! My inspiration for this shiny was based on the fact that the predecessor to fireworks is heated bamboo, which explodes when put on fire. I feel like the shiny that I made conveys that inspiration well! Any feedback is welcome, please try to be critical and help me improve!

Some feedback:

MrDollSteak: I think the design is really cohesive! Cant think of too much wrong with it.. maybe it's not exciting enough? But it's a really good design overall!
Krazyguy75: Out of the three of them, WIP 3 is probably my favorite. The first one is a bit hard on the eyes my opinion, what with the neon purples and blues and high saturation in general. Your second one's better, but it's still a bit hard for me to like that shade of pink/purple. The third one's reeeeeally good and a cohesive design in general!

Last edited:

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

I decided to go with the "shiny Braviary" route and switched the blues and reds on the body, for the most part.

WIP 1

In general, i used "national colors" from various countries as reference to the shinies, the first one being based on USA (which is very known for their massive firework festivals), but the white/Blue/red its a very common combination in flags.

WIP 2

for the secon one i used green/red/white, in a reference to the mexican colors, mexico is the country were axolotls originate so its a good pick

WIP 3

and the last one goes a little outside the norm, based on clasic colors from chinese vestiment, as far as i know the fireworks originate from that country and even tho the flags presents only red and yellow, the black/orange/red is very common and popular

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Got my hands at making a quick shiny version based of an even more "night-sky-ish" palette. Tried mimicking the gen 7-8 trend of only changing few key colors. Can't say I'm extremely proud of it but I think it looks fine and gets the job done.

Final Submission

I went with a more cold but still bright palette, though I kept the colour of the streamers and the tail flame. Copper (and zinc) burn blue-green as well, copper being used to make blue and sometimes cyan fireworks, and I thought that would complement Astrolotl's fireworks theme nicely.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

I decided to go with a more direct "swap the colors" shiny. I had a bit of trouble making the tail the same original red as the body, so I opted to make the shoulders and legs red instead and made the tail a darker color to compensate.

Final Submission

The idea behind this shiny was initially to simply reverse the colors, with the skirt and frills being blue and the lower body, limbs, shoulder poofs, and feelers being red. However, I decided to make the latter orange instead because I liked that particular contrast better, and also because that's what red and yellow combined is. The inner purple shade was a little harder to make stand out against the blue and I actually had to make the blue itself a bit darker to this end, but it's supposed to be like the blue flame of a bunsen burner or gas stove. I still like how it turned out, though.

Good luck to all the entrants! I hope I'm not too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)