CAP 28 - Part 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, we're on a tight schedule here! We are looking to get sprites done by October 15th, so keep that in mind when submitting sprites for CAP 28!

-----

CAP 28 So Far

-----

Sprite Rules
  • Sprites should be inspired by the winning designs from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the designs; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art designs is discouraged.
  • All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96.
  • All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite
  • No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon.
  • Sprites must be in PNG format.
  • Use transparent backgrounds.
  • All sprites must be scratch sprites that are completely original works by the spriter. Fusions of other sprites or pixel-overs of other artist's lineart (including the main design) are not allowed.
  • Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use the same color palette.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.
Final Submission Post

All spriters must make a final submission post conforming to the sprite rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • Final submissions must contain a minimum of 2 sprites - Front and Back. If the winning design has supporting art with gender differences, spriters may choose to include those gender differences (Male and Female versions of each), for a total of 4 sprites. Gender differences are NOT required. Spriters cannot create new gender differences.
  • Only submit ONE PNG that contains all the submitted sprites. Please do not submit separate images for every sprite. One "cutsheet" makes it easier for mods to track submissions and ensure each complete set of sprites stay intact.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.
Advice for Spriters
  • Compare your sprites against other Pokemon sprites to make sure your sprites match the in-game sprites in size and style.
  • Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Pokémon Showdown, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in battle.
  • We recommend you use no more than 16 colors for your sprites' palette. This limit may be broken for complex designs.

Art Design:

WIP

Doesn't have a back yet obv, that'll take some finagling. I managed to keep to the 16 colour palette by cheating with the highlight tone on the green. Maybe a little big? But I have absolutely no idea how big this thing is supposed to be from this design and the mon itself isn't that big, it's just got a massive abdomen.

WIP

Doesn't have a back yet obv, that'll take some finagling. I managed to keep to the 16 colour palette by cheating with the highlight tone on the green. Maybe a little big? But I have absolutely no idea how big this thing is supposed to be from this design and the mon itself isn't that big, it's just got a massive abdomen.
This looks good but I think the jaw and the abdomen need to be about 20% larger.

WIP
baby.png

I'm happy with this and don't really see what I could improve at the moment. Feedback is appreciated!

WIP
costume3.png

This is my first scratch sprite, so I know it's not the best. I don't expect to win; I more just wanted to get it out there. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
WIP
I'm happy with this and don't really see what I could improve at the moment. Feedback is appreciated!
The Wings in your back sprite attach to a different spot on the body as in the front sprite.

WIP
This is my first scratch sprite, so I know it's not the best. I don't expect to win; I more just wanted to get it out there. Any suggestions?
The size relations between the bug body and the dragon jaw are off.
The jaw should be at least as big as the body of the bug

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just a heads up, but make sure that the perspective on your sprites match up with those of in-game sprites! In particular, the drawing used as the main design has a camera that's less planar than the perspective sprites use, so they won't match up with the perspective in-game sprites use, if you're using the main design as your perspective reference.

E.g., if we take a look at the following sprites, we can see that the left and right feet are nearly on the same plane, instead of how they are drawn on the main design with the feet farther away from the camera being noticeably up on the canvas.

I've put people's WIPs next to these sprites to help you compare. :)

Temporary File.png

Temporary File.png

The key thing to note there is that the back view should have four fins on the lower part of the tail (two on each side) rather than just two in the center.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
WIP:

Temporary File.png

According to Golurk's reference sheet, the smoke billows out from both corners of the mouth. I couldn't justify showing only one of them on either front/back sprite, so I included smoke billowing out from corners of the mouth. If you're not fond of this decision, feel free to vote for another spriter's set of sprites! :)

The elytra on the back sprite needs work, but I'm low on time, so here's what I've got for now.

Thanks to Darquezze and Mos-Quitoxe for feedback so far!

Edit: If you're not on there already, the CAP Discord server is a great place to get real-time feedback on sprites! I recommend it for anyone who is looking for feedback.

Last edited:
WIP

View attachment 281777
I ended up completely redoing my sprite because after comparing mine to the others, it looked A: terrible and B: not nearly as accurate. I honestly don't think I'll be finished by the 15th, since I haven't even started the backsprite yet. Anyway, what do you think?
I think it's a nice fusion of my sprite, Z-nogyroP's and Tommaniacal's. I highly recommend editing it a bit more heavily next time to make it a bit less blatant.

I think it's a nice fusion of my sprite, Z-nogyroP's and Tommaniacal's. I highly recommend editing it a bit more heavily next time to make it a bit less blatant.
I think there is a misunderstanding. I didn't fuse your sprites. I placed every pixel myself. I won't deny that I was inspired by your sprites though, and if you think it's too similar, I will gladly take it down. You can even ban me from the competition if you don't believe me; I'd understand. It never was and never will be my intent to steal another's spritework. I apologize for any offense you took, and I will make sure to compare my sprites more closely to others posted.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I didn't fuse your sprites. I placed every pixel myself. I won't deny that I was inspired by your sprites though, and if you think it's too similar, I will gladly take it down. You can even ban me from the competition if you don't believe me; I'd understand. It never was and never will be my intent to steal another's spritework. I apologize for any offense you took, and I will make sure to compare my sprites more closely to others posted.
The head of yours is a direct copy of mine, pixel for pixel

The head of yours is a direct copy of mine, pixel for pixel
I don't really see it, but either way, I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. I removed my sprite, and I'm willing to drop out from the competition. What else do you want me to do?

Here are our heads side-by-side. I can see some resemblance. Then again, when a bunch of people work on the same Pokemon sprite what can you expect?
Personal Upgrade3.png

If you still feel violated, just report me. I don't care much anymore, but I won't admit to something I didn't do.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Thank you for taking down your sprite, Steelman. Your sprite is far too close to other people's sprites to be considered "inspired" by them. Here is a comparison Cynda posted comparing your sprite and his:

The shape of the thorax, elytra, jawline, upper fangs, "neck", and smoke are pixel-for-pixel matches. Furthermore, the shape of the legs is a pixel-for-pixel match with Z-nogyroP's sprite, and the head is a pixel-for-pixel match with Tommaniacal's sprites.

Here are our heads side-by-side. I can see some resemblance. Then again, when a bunch of people work on the same Pokemon sprite what can you expect?
There are four other spriters who have made front sprites for CAP 28, and each person's sprite is distinctly different, except for the one you posted. What you call "inspiration" is blatant copying of other people's sprites. For that, I've infracted you for plagiarism.

--

On a separate note, you have about 48 hours to wrap up your final submissions for CAP 28 sprites!

Final Submission

Still fits within the 16 colour limit. I hate backsprites and I would like to never touch this horrible horrible man again. I am going to bed now.

I don't really see it, but either way, I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. I removed my sprite, and I'm willing to drop out from the competition. What else do you want me to do?

View attachment 281878

If you still feel violated, just report me. I don't care much anymore, but I won't admit to something I didn't do.
shameless omg

anyways, im really enjoying everyone's sprites. I was talking to Golurk in the discord regarding the doubling of smoke (right side smoke being visible from the right side), and one way we might be able to tackle it in the 3d model is just not to have symmetrical smoke so the right side smoke hangs a little lower so its not visible from the front view? that way you dont have to worry about the smoke only pouring out of one side while still maintaining the intention from the winning artwork. not sure if that might create some ugly overlap due to perspective but figured it could be worth voicing.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Final Submission

Temporary File.png

Both sprites:
  • Brightened smoke.
  • Made outline off-black.

Front sprite:
  • Tweaked perspective of elytra.
  • Tweaked positioning of feet.
  • Made nape more curved.
  • Reduced overbite on jaw.
  • Tweaked shape of far eye.
  • Tweaked shape of arm spikes.
Back sprite:
  • Tweaked positioning of head spikes.
  • Tweaked shading of neck spikes.
  • Made smoke taper off to the same thickness on both sides.
  • Tweaked shading on thorax.
  • Tweaked positioning of feet.
  • Tweaked shape of arm spikes.
  • Tweaked angle of jaw.

Just need to get this out for now! Not 100% done. Thanks to Darquezze for feedback!

Temporary File 1.png

Temporary File 2.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)