CAP 14 CAP 3 - Miscellaneous Flavor (Height, Weight, Pokedex Entry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With all of the competitive aspects of Mollux complete, all that remain are the fun parts! We must give Mollux a height, weight, and a Pokedex entry. Because Mollux resists weight-based attacks, Mollux's weight is not really competitively relevant.

Time to lay down some edicts:

Height: 1.2m / 3' 11.2"
Weight: 41 kg (90.2) lbs [GK/LK: 60 BP]
Gender Ratio: 50% Male / 50% Female
Dream Ability: Illuminate

This makes our CAP fully competitively operational. If you'd like my reasoning, basically I took the idea that Mollux's shell is made of an obsidian-like substance that is translucent in parts, but very solid. Additionally its full of liquid, and most liquids are actually fairly heavy, especially this toxic/lava mixture. So basically the majority of its weight, including the liquid is the shell, around 60-70 lbs. The rest is its invertebrate body.

Rules yo:

• Pokedex entries are 1-3 short, simple sentences.
  • Pokedex entries must be submitted as a final submission to be considered in the poll. Make it clear so that I know that it is your final submission.
  • Provide a Pokedex entry for both Pokemon White and Pokemon Black. This means that you need to submit two Pokedex entries, not just one. Usually, they complement the other's ideas, but address different sides of the same coin. Check some in-game BW Pokemon for examples.
  • You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is not allowed. If people don't comment on your Pokedex entry, let the silence be your advice. You can revise it and repost it, but please don't ask for help in the thread.
  • Keep entries in good taste. If it happens on Animal Planet or in National Geographic it's fair game, but gratuitously violent or excessively disgusting entries will be warned and deleted.
  • Substantiate your posts. Your post will be warned and deleted if you post something like "X entry is cool!". You need some reasoning behind it, such as why it sounds good. We aren't looking for a critical analysis, just a sentence or two.
  • One submission per user.

Mollux thus far:

Name: Extreme Makeover: Typing Edition

General Description: The idea here is to create a Pokemon who's typing, while normally considered poor defensively and/or offensively, becomes a strong selling point of the Pokemon itself via help from an ability, stats, and/or movepool.

Justification: There are a lot of typings we scoff at on a daily basis because of their serious flaws, often forgetting about their strong points. For example, Poison is a really terrible offensive typing, but a decent defensive typing, while the Ice typing is good offensively, but awful defensively. Instead of just accepting that some typings will just ruin a Pokemon, this CAP concept aims to take that "terrible typing", and find ways to fix it (usually via ability, movepool, or stats) to the point where the formerly terrible typing becomes the CAP's strong point! The reason this CAP could benefit OU is because a Pokemon who makes a "bad typing" into a great one could find many unique offensive and/or defensive niches that aren't currently found!

Questions To Be Answered

-What does it take for a Pokemon to overcome its "bad typing" so much that its typing becomes good? Are the stats the biggest contributer, is the ability the thing that saves it, does movepool make it a force, or is it a combination of the above?

-How does the typing makeover effect the Pokemon's playstyle? Does the Pokemon become a unique wall that uses its makeover to overcome its typing's normally fatal flaws, does the make over make a terrible offensive typing into a fearsome sweeper, does the makeover make it into a formidible combination of deffense and offense to a typing that brings it neither, or does the makeover bring forth something none of us see coming from the typing?

-Which resistances and immunities are the most relevant to the metagame? Sure, this concept is aiming to have a "bad typing" become good, but part of that will require the bad typing to have some key resistances and/or immunties to certain typings to defend against or set up on, while still having a very unorthodox competitive typing. This works the other way around too, what are the typings most relevant to hit super effectively or at least neutral?

-How will the rest of the OU metagame react to this extreme type makeover? Will Pokemon start carrying moves they normally wouldn't carry to break through a new defensive threat, will some Pokemon take on new defensive roles due to resisting the unorthodox STABs CAP 3 may carry? Or will This Pokemon, despite being a very real threat, not have many "custom made sets" to beat it, being more of a Pokemon that is a reaction to the metagame than causing a metagame reaction?

-Finally, how will this effect the teams CAP3 is on? Will this be the kind of Pokemon who needs a lot of support to become a threat, will this Pokemon be more of key team member to execute another strategy, or will this be the kind of Pokemon that's part of the glue that holds the team together?

Typing: Fire / Poison
Base stats: 95 HP / 45 Atk / 83 Def / 131 SpA / 105 SpD / 76 Spe
Abilities: Dry Skin / Illuminate (Hidden)
Movepool: link

Final Submission

White: It was selectively bred by humans to favor transparent shells. Because of this it makes an excellent lamp.

Black: The poison in its shell may change colours, although the reason is not known.

I've had long enough to think about these.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Lamp Shell Pokemon

Three ideas I have for entries:

• It takes less than a second for Mollux to sting its prey with its venomous tongue and swallow them whole.
Like the (exaggerated) statistics the pokedex likes to include, here's one on a cone snail's predatory behavior.

• The bioluminescent lamp on its back is remarkably light, allowing this Pokémon to move quickly in and out of water.
Ignoring the fact that I came up with this entry before height/weight was decided, this notes Mollux's amphibiousness and speed (compared to other gastropods).

• It attacks foes with a mixture of water and internal toxins. Any unused toxins are burned as a light source.
Lamp and fire and poison and predatory behavior all in one.

Edit: Edited.

Also: 5th-generation pokedex entries can include non-allcaps pokemon names.

This makes our CAP fully competitively operational. If you'd like my reasoning, basically I took the idea that Mollux's shell is made of an obsidian-like substance that is translucent in parts, but very solid. Additionally its full of liquid, and most liquids are actually fairly heavy, especially this toxic/lava mixture. So basically the majority of its weight, including the liquid is the shell, around 60-70 lbs. The rest is its invertebrate body.
This isn't really accurate. Most liquids are actually less dense than their solid forms (water is a notable exception). Lava would be less heavy than a solid rock.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Mollux: the Mantle Pokemon

WHITE: A newly hatched Mollux does not glow at all. Rather, the soft light it emits from its shell comes from its diet of phosphorous-rich algae.

BLACK: The brightness of its shell is directly linked to its heartbeat. It glows only dimly while it is sleeping, but is blindingly bright when it is being attacked.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Mollux: The Cone Snail Pokémon
Gender Ratio: 50% Male / 50% Female​

Pokédex Entries:

WHITE: After sneaking up on its prey, it quickly flashes its shell light in order to temporarily daze it.

BLACK: Sailors use the glow from Mollux to guide their ships away from hazardous coral reefs during the night.​

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Charizard's Pokédex entry refers to it by name. Also I think the all caps for other Pokémon names is a previous-gen thing; Heatmor and Durant refer to each other and don't use all caps.

Final Sumbission
Lava Lamp Pokémon
Black: "The liquid in its shell is extremely hot. It needs water to cool itself down or else it overheats."
White: "Its brightly-glowing shell contains toxic venom which it shoots at its enemies from its mouth."

Black: Mollux's innards glow with a vibrant light. The color of its light is determined by its current mood.
White: Its own luminescence attracts many Pokemon at night. Mollux use this to make friends or lure in prey.

Justification
I look at Mollux and constantly think of how he's one of the quirkiest CAPs Smogon has ever made, so that defining trait--quirky--is what I think best suits Mollux in defining it. As such, its dex entries focus less about its life cycle or chemicals, and more on its daily habits. I hope you guys can see where I'm going with that as well. Just look at him! He's adorable!

I'm not making this my final submission in case people know of ways they can be improved, but otherwise I'll mark this as my final submission if this ends up being ignored. That said, I'll give it a classification later... I wasn't sure if you're allowed to use the same classification as earlier submissions, so I'll just wait until that's cleared up (which would be appreciated to whomever takes the time to do so).

Black Entry: In days of old, people used Mollux's light to guide them in the darkness.

White Entry: While normally peaceful, a Mollux will become infuriated if its shell is broken. The goo inside houses its life energy, and it could be fatal if it were to leak out.

Could probably use some critique, so not doing a final yet.

Final Submission
The Illumination Pokemon
White: Do to the intense pressure and heat the shell has to undergo, it is incredibly durable and is in fact harder than diamonds.
Black: The hotter the poison is the more potent it becomes, which is why it uses its lamp-like shell to attract its prey.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
White Entry: While normally peaceful, a Mollux will become infuriated if its shell is broken. The goo inside houses its life energy, and it could be fatal if it were to leak out.
I feel like it doesn't really need the second sentence.

canno

formerly The Reptile
FINAL SUBMISSION

Mollux, the Mantle Pokemon. (thanks Asylum :D)

Dream Ability: Illuminate

White: The liquid inside it's shell is extremely hot. It can reach temperatures up to 2400 °C.

Black: It is unknown what its shell is made out of, but records show that it can withstand up to 2400 °C before it starts melting.

I wanted to focus on the "lava" part of the shell. Not-so-final, as I could probably use better numbers. 2400 is twice of 1200, which is around the temperature Pahoehoe Lava reaches (which is the type of lava closes to the "lava" in a lava lamp). A minor point, but it supports Dry Skin (or at least the negative aspect) since if it reaches a temperature that is too high, it will melt and injure itself, which is helped by Fire-type attacks and intense sun. Meanwhile, Water acts as sort of a cooler, cooling down its temperature and keeping it from not melting. (meaning Water-type attacks help it and so does the rain).

EDIT: I also used Celsius because iirc, it's used more than Fahrenheit.
EDIT2: Made both temperatures the same.
EDIT3: Final submission form and added some justification comments.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Mollux, the Glowing Pokemon

Black- Its shell actually contains two different liquids-a boiling lava mixture and a lukewarm toxin.

White- Its heatproof shell allows humans and other Pokemon to touch it, even though the liquid inside its shell reaches temperatures of over 2000° Fahrenheit.

The above two are Final Submissions

the two below are jokes

OTHER IDEAS:

It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Mollux.
Every time it yawns, its shell injects more poison into it. The poison makes it more intelligent.

btw these are kadabra and slowking entries

Asylum_Rhapsody

Final Submission
Mollux, the Mantle Pokemon:
Black: Though primarily aquatic, they will occasionally venture onto dry land to find and consume Combee wax.
White: Their eggs have never been found in the wild, but hatchlings have been observed emerging from deep-sea volcanic vents.

- - - - - -

This Pokemon must be the Mantle Pokemon. Its extremely relevant dual meaning ([1], [2]) is just too perfect. I don't even care if anybody "steals" it and uses it for their own entry. That's fine.

I came up with three possible Pokedex entries, and the ones that I final submit will depend on feedback if any. I like the idea that Mollux is primarily an aquatic Pokemon, so both the Black and White entries above emphasize that. A couple of things about each entry...

Black - I don't know how everybody feels about the substance in Mollux's shell actually being wax like in a real lava lamp. Regardless, I like Pokedex entries that reference relationships with other Pokemon, so even if the substance is only partially composed of wax, it still works.

White - Note that this does not preclude the possibility of a prevo later on. Many Pokemon, such as Banette, have Pokedex entries that seem to preclude the existence of prevos. Plus, a "baby" Pokemon still isn't out of the questions, maybe if Mollux holds Sea Incense or Wave Incense like how you get Azurill or Mantyke respectively.

Other?: When it goes to sleep, the glow of its shell dims and the molten, waxy substance within cools and hardens.
Other? - I wanted to try a Pokedex entry that would really play up the lava lamp, so I described what happens when you turn a lava lamp off as being identical to what happens to a Mollux going to sleep. It's not my favorite right now, though, so it's just a tertiary option.

Edit: Some of my favorites so far...
BLACK: Sailors use the glow from Mollux to guide their ships away from hazardous coral reefs during the night.
I like Pokedex entries that describe how humans a Pokemon interact, and I think that this entry does that in a really clever way while also establishing Mollux as primarily aquatic and even more specifically residing in coral reefs. That's a lot of great story information packed into a very simple entry, and I like that! Your white entry, though, seems unremarkable by comparison.
WHITE: A newly hatched Mollux does not glow at all. Rather, the soft light it emits from its shell comes from its diet of phosphorous-rich algae.

BLACK: The brightness of a Mollux's shell is directly linked to its heartbeat, so it glows dimly while sleeping and is almost blindingly bright when being attacked.
I like these a lot because they give us information and story that we wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at Mollux and knowing that it's based off of a cone snail and a lava lamp. I look at some entries simply talking about how it glows brightly exactly like a lava lamp does or how it hunts exactly like a cone snail does, and it's hard to get excited about those because they don't really give any information that wasn't already expected.

Both of you should note this, though:
  • ... Dex entries refer to their subject Pokemon as "it" or "its" rather than the Pokemon's name.

Final Submission

Mollux, the Cone Snail Pokemon

White: In arid environments, the burning sludge in its lamp evaporates through microscopic pores. As its molten innards drain quickly, its core temperature can plummet in mere seconds.

Black: After hatching a brood, an adult combusts its internal toxins in a blinding final sacrifice. For several months after, the glowing remnants of the shell provide nutrients for the hatchlings.

For the first entry, I chose to focus on the interactions of a Fire/Poison typing with Dry Skin, especially in dry weather, implying health hazards for prolonged exposure.

For the second entry, I wanted to explore the contrast of Mollux's otherwise peaceful appearance with a macabre topic: a parent's sacrifice, while drawing upon the flavor moves of Final Gambit and Explosion. My theme for these two entries was a blend of science, epicness, and flavor. I really want Mollux to be just as much of a badass as Colossoil and Revenankh.

For other submissions, my current favorite is Pwnemon's, the quality I enjoyed most was how easy it was to visualize, as well as the original physiology choice with heartbeat-brightness.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
FINAL SUBMISSION

Mollux, the Lamp Shell Pokemon

White: Many a yard sale shopper have been surprised to find that their newly bought lava lamp was in fact a Mollux withdrawn in its shell.

Black: It can take up to two weeks to replenish the toxic lava in its shell, so it prefers to avoid conflict, when possible.

I would just like to point out that the It VS Name thing is not a 100% thing in B/W. Basculin's entry says Basculin, and Darumaka's says Darumaka, for example, though "it" is preferred. I can't think of how to fix my White to utilize It without sounding awkward, so this is what I'm leaning toward.

Final Submission

Mollux, the Disco Pokemon

Black
: Humans that have spent too much time around NECTURNA or PYROAK are often unduly fascinated with the glow from MOLLUX's lamp.

White: Decades ago, human interest in the glow from MOLLUX lamp drove the species nearly to extinction. Pokemon scientists are now researching just why it is so alluring.

Mollux, the Lava Lamp Pokemon

Black: It is often seen rivalling SHUCKLE for territorial power, fending off attacks by hiding in its shell.

White: It is common knowledge that when its shell breaks, a toxic outburst pours from it, damaging everything in a one-mile radius.

O.K, now for explanation. I chose Shuckle as the rivalling pokemon as they both look alike, have shells and I inagine are the same size. All the good titles for Mollux are gone (I particularly like 'Mantle', by Asylum Rhapsody) so I decided to go back to Mollux's core design, saying what it really is, the only lava lamp pokemon in existence. The entries were hard and are subject to change, but I wanted to get uniqueness out of them. As far as I'm aware, nobody has talked about Mollux's shell breaking, so I want to pounce on that opportunity.

EDIT: Oh, StarRapper has.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Final Submission

Mollux, the Mantle Pokemon.

Black Pokedex Entry said:
Scientists have found that a pint of the luminescient liquid from its shell contains enough energy to power a small city for an hour.
White Pokedex Entry said:
Although heatproof beyond all refining, scientists theorize that a purified tincture of the venom it secretes through its tentacles could create the most virulent of poisons.
SCIENCE.

Edit: Edited, feedback please?
Edit2: Edited with "Final Submission".

Mollux, the Acid Snail Pokemon.

Black Entry: It lives in colonies in murky lakes. Because of its tendency to leak poison, very few other Pokemon can tolerate its habitat.

White Entry: A unique Fire-type that loves water. Its proboscis makes fishing for it nearly impossible.

Mollux the Volcano Snail pokemon

Black
The shell of a Mollux is a type of naturally occurring glass. It is so hard that a Mollux with a broken shell has never been found.

White
No one has ever seen the part of a Mollux that is normally covered by its shell. Scientists argue about what could be hidden there.
---------------------------------------------

In my entries I tried to reference the Shell in one, and the actual snail in the other. I tried to form then so its not impossible for a preevo, but doesn't encourage one either.
I wanted to keep Mollux kind of Mysterious (as seen in my white entry) because it is a pretty unique pokemon already!

EDIT: changed astro snail to volcano snail

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Taking a break from my exams to show you all how it's done

-------------------------

Black: When threatened, it retreats into its shell. As a last resort, it can fire burning magma and acid from the top of the cone, severely injuring itself in the process.
White: The magma inside Mollux's shell can reach up to 1000 Kelvin, and yet its skin somehow manages to remain moist.

Or

Black: In some cultures, drinking the fluid from Mollux's shell is said to be the mark of a true man. In others, it is said to be the mark of a true idiot.
White: Mollux's harpoon-like tooth is renowned for its effectiveness. Some island communities like to use them to slice their fried Magikarp.

Or

Black: Mollux are allergic to garlic, which will cause them to erupt continuously until they run out of fluid and die. For this reason, all Mollux are born with a lifelong fear of the French.
White: It is said that they taste excellent when mashed with sugar and garnished with a little cinnamon. However, if prepared improperly, they have been known to dissolve diners' tongues.

--------------------------

And just in case somebody doesn't get it, only the first one is serious. Oh, and they're in increasing order of frivolity.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright, just my 2 cents on this, but Pokedex entries are created by scientists and Pokemon professors who made Pokemon research (no, not the statistical game mechanics, I meant the biology in-game) their calling. If you do some look-ups, most Dex entries focus on the prominent physical characteristics or social behaviour of the Pokemon, as well as their wildlife relationship with humans. Feel free to debate with me about it, or simply ignore me if you don't want to bother. Still, I really like entries that look like they were jotted down in a scientist's pocket notebook, or written on thesis reports.

BLACK: Sailors use the glow from Mollux to guide their ships away from hazardous coral reefs during the night.​
I'm especially fond of this, Birkal. Kudos for writing an interesting Dex entry on the story about Mollux interacting (unknowingly?) with humans.

WHITE: Although heatproof beyond all refining, scientists theorize that a purified tincture of the venom it secretes through its tentacles could create the most virulent of poisons.
Same reasons as well - the hypotheses on the potential impact the said Pokemon might bring in the fields of science really nailed it for me.

O.K, feedback IS needed.

Bugmaniacbob: I'm hoping those last pokedex sets were meant as a joke. Your first white entry is too scientific, unlike most pokedex entries. (Think of all the eight-year olds, thinking that Kelvin is just a name for a boy)
Subway J: I like the descriptions, but Astro Snail seems a bit off when describing Mollux.
Jirachi6: Love the black entry, and the white is fine. Although "proboscis" is too mature for a pokedex entry.
Level51: Oh, I didn't know you could use other people's pokemon description. I might use mantle myself then. Anyway, you're trying too hard with your white entry. A pokedex entry should be simple, yours is, as you say, SCIENCE. Too much of it, if you ask me.
Urza: You need two pokedex entries, not one. I like how you try to include CAP as much as possible, but the output is a bit forced. Oh, and you need to put the pokemon names in CAPITALS. See Deck Knight's rules.
srk1214: I love the human reference, and these are strong entries. The "Many a yard" sounds wrong, however.
Asylum Rhapsody: The best by far. The COMBEE reference isn't forced at all, and you're on to a winner with "Mantle". If I don't get slated for the poll, I'll still vote for you.
DetroitLolCat: The first entry is too vague, and the Luminescent description doesn't suit Mollux. I like the White entry however.
Drifblim: The Black entry is amazing. The White entry contradicts itself. How can you be infuriated when you're dead?
GrsCousin: The entries are underwhelming, but I still LOVE the mood light idea.
Nyktos: The term "super-hot" is pretty childish. All you have to do is change the word to something better, and you've got a fantastic entry!
Birkal: I love both concepts in each entry; a strong option. This shows Mollux's characteristics: Sly yet helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)