CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/

Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed, Between -5 and -10 -- Slightly towards defence
Build Bias: Between 5 and 10 -- Slightly towards physical
Base Stat Rating: 300 to 419 -- Very Good

Ok guys, IMO this is one of the funest parts of the process. Abilities can make (and break) a Pokemon. Going too far to nerf something completly ruins it (Slaking, Regigigas), while going overboard to power something up is a one way ticket to Ubers (Wobb). There's a delicate balance to be had. This thread is the place to throw out there your ideas for abilities. Try not to go overboard, as I'll be very activly involved in the discussion to curb it away from obviously broken ideas. Sorry guys, no Wonder Guard :"(

Onbiously when we determine this Pokemon's stat spread the talk should shift to ensure abilities with this stat spread are not broken. During the art poll talk should turn to flavour, and what "fits" the art design.

Hmmm, adaptability would be a viable option.
That would work great in combination with Earthquake and Gravity.
I'll browse some more abilities.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not a fan of new abilities that take the place of a move. In fact, I don't want ANY custom ability. If someone can't find a suitable ability from the list of existing ones, they aren't looking hard enough, or aren't creative enough.

Filter, Frisk, Hyper Cutter, Iron Fist (if it gets any punching moves), Keen Eye, Liquid Ooze, Mold Breaker?, Natural Cure, Own Tempo...

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think filter is a bit broken, it's only on pokemon that have crap stats. Mold Breaker is broken too. Natural Cure doesn't make sense on a Poison pokemon. Own Tempo is useless.

Well with everyone have their set on "Gravity + Earthquake = Win", why not an auto version of a underrated move. As I said before, it kills two birds with one stone.

Also

Smog Imp: Serene Grace, Poison Point, Cute Charm, Klutz, Magic Guard, Sand Veil, Scrappy

tennisace

Poison Point and Liquid Ooze are Bog-Standard. The Smogimp doesn't look that graceful imo. It looks more like a Klutz. Think of it, it's going to Trick you with an item, so why not do it at no harm to itself? Ohhello Deo-E, take my Iron Ball whydontcha?

Togepi, Togetic, fuck Dunspacre don't look so graceful either. Serene Grace could work on it. Sand veil and the other abilities I mention could work too. Also, they're a few pokemon that look scary enough to have Intimidate.

tennisace

So you're saying an imp and a spider on hands are graceful? Eh. The snake/dragons/lizards could do intimidate.

Is that a trick question, also can you explain to me how's this is graceful?

Also, a eight legged creature with huge-ass hand have to be graceful, as I can't see it walking in some weird manner.

isnt art poll meant to come before ability like every other CAP project. For daddy long legs i would have suggested limber, but i don't think that would have much use as its immune to thunder wave. Tangled feet was another but i don't really see much use. Then again i don't see why every pokemon we make has to have an outstanding trait.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nothing is more annoying than having your utility guy put to sleep. This guy already is immune to Thunder Wave; if we make either Insomnia / Vital Spirit an option, we drastically improve its "on average" ability to be a utility guy.

Not saying I necessarily want it, just throwing Insomnia / Vital Spirit out there as beneficial abilities for a utility type.

tennisace

Is that a trick question, also can you explain to me how's this is graceful?

Also, a eight legged creature with huge-ass hand have to be graceful, as I can't see it walking in some weird manner.
Its cuteeeeeeeee. Touche. But the picture shows the hands going everywhere. It still is an option, but what moves would he be able to take advantage of? Lol Earth Power? Poison side-effects?

Aldaron, Insomnia works.

If the Daddy Long-Legs wins, I feel it should have:

Arena Trap

It can trap a Pokemon with all of it's hands as seen in the art.

Iron Fist

Man, it's got so many hands, it should be able to abuse Punches...

Steadfast

It seems fitting for this Pokemon...

Technician

It is a utility Pokemon, and it could help people by being a Technician;).

Vital Spirit

It looks like a Pokemon with a lot of energy, could also be very useful as a utility that cannot be put to sleep, allowing it to set up on Pokemon like SkarfGengar and the such...

{Bold is main option}.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Poison Heal, Inner Focus, Intimidate, Liquid Ooze, Oblivious / Own Tempo, Pressure, Sticky Hold, Synchronize, and Trace are other abilities I feel that both support a utility Pokemon's "purpose" and also can work with what we know of CaP4 so far.

Can you guys please stop extending the page with the pictures of the art =/

Just to emphasize, I included Insomnia / Vital Spirit in my previous post, which might have been lost due to this shameless page stretching.

Any of these are beneficial abilities for a utility guy (especially who is part Poison), and you should consider the Pokemon with them in mind.

I'm pretty sure Serene Grace doesn't have to do with actual physical grace. It's more like "grace of god" or whatever.

Also, I like Technician. It works flavorwise with that design.

Oh, I completely forgot about Technician!
I stopped at "o" when I was going through the list.
That would be perfect on a utility.
Little improvements on such moves as Knock Off, Rapid Spin, and priority moves can really do a lot for this guy.
I think it works best with the "multiple-arm" guy.

Edit: The improvement from Technician is nice, but not necessarily "perfect." A welcome addition, but their are better options to fit CAP 4's purpose.

Aldaron

geriatric
Please lol, Technician is clearly an offensive type Pokemon's move; you guys are not considering the concept when putting forward Technician.

Great...it makes Knock Off, Rapid Spin and the like stronger...who cares? No one uses those moves for the damage potential, especially without STAB.

We can easily create a CaP for priority moves later; stick to the concept for now.

tennisace

I am going to say this in-lieu of Sunday:

DO NOT SUGGEST TRAPPING ABILITIES.

That is all.

>.<
I worded my post badly.
I didn't mean it was perfect for a utility.
It just gives a bit of helpful improvement.
I think anti-sleep abilities are good.
Also Serene Grace could work...but I think this Pokemon will rely more on individual attacks rather than the secondary effects they produce.
Like Will-o-Wisp versus Lava Plume.

Its cuteeeeeeeee. Touche. But the picture shows the hands going everywhere. It still is an option, but what moves would he be able to take advantage of? Lol Earth Power? Poison side-effects?
Well Smog Imp is cute but you do bring a good point about Serene Grace. There's always Headbutt and the elemental punches lol.

Also how the fuck is Daddy Long Leg walks, let alone do anything productive without tripping over himself? Seriously, that's been bugging me since I saw it.

A-Ron~ I personally support Trace, and Intimidate.

Why does every fucking pokemon we make have to have an outstanding ability, i mean seriously intimidate, mold breaker on a supposed utlity pokemon. This thing already has insane stats, and chances are an outstanding movepool, why do people always have to go over the top.

For Daddy Long Legs Tangled feet is my suggestion its a crap ability but works from a flavor aspect and this thing is already good enough.

Outside of ridiculously generic abilities like Vital Spirit, it's kind of hard to say what kind of abilities are worth using without any art. BTW Aldaron, how would Poison Heal work on a Poison Pokemon? I didn't think Poison Pokemon could even be poisoned.

Hmmm, Frisk is actually an attractive option to me.
With high speed and a decent movepool, this Pokemon can scout accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)