CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold- Click here to see the full post.

latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

All art designs, ideas, inspirational material, and submissions are posted and discussed here.

Here are the guidelines for posting in this thread:
  • Art submissions are designs to guide the creation of final battle sprites that will be used for the pokemon.
  • Any rendering medium can be used to present a design, as long as it is a full-sized design. Sprites are not allowed here. Spriting is a separate process that will occur later.
  • Compressed images of reasonable dimensions should be posted. Oversized submissions (file size or image size) will be deleted.
  • Colored designs are strongly encouraged for final submissions. However, many artists prefer to post uncolored designs and sketches, to solicit early feedback, then color them later for final submission.
  • If artists wish to comment or criticize other artists' work, this is the place for it. Criticisms amongst artists are discouraged in the later art poll threads.
  • No art submissions should be modified by others without the explicit permission of the original artists.
  • Using other submissions as "inspiration" for an original artwork is allowed. However, outright "stealing" of designs is prohibited.
Art submissions for the art poll will be selected by the Topic Leader, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the Topic Leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make an art submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Lets get some art up!

Edit: Since some people need to be reminded:

There will be no flaming in this thread. Constructive criticism is allowed. Rudeness isn't. If you don't have anything nice to say, shut up and take the mouse off the post button. Also, don't bump your art.

Finalized Art:
Syprus

Regi DS
Cerbi01
yourDeadGrandad
DarthVader317
CactuarJoe
DougJustDoug
Caladabolg~/SkyShroud
Antarctros
Kharozz
ChronoSquare
Zantimonious
Hazmat
Sanglunaria
--T.I.B.M--
In_Hell13
Headpunch
NinjaSquirtle
Atroyki
Bone Armor
Lofty
VividSketch 2
Lightning Storm
Wichu
CyzirVisheen
CasMat

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Given the quality of art from the previous CaPs this should be good.

I can't wait to see what the artists come up with...

Also, YEA first post!

Awesome, I had already started my concept art a few days before the art thread came up. I don't know if you guys will like it. I'm still thinking of other ideas. Here it is!

I tried to make this concept art based on a crystal triceratops. Rampardos was the one that gave me an idea of using dinosaurs, so I decided to try one out myself and I'm pretty pleased with the finished product. You may think at first glance this thing can't be speedy nor have high SpA, but it actually could have those stats. It gets its high speed by curling itself into a ball and it basically rolls its way around, or it uses its really powerful legs to run at high speeds. It gets its enourmous SpA from its crystals on its head, horns, and tail. It also gets it from a mysteriously mystical jewel in the middle of its forehead. It gets all its power from the crystals and the jewel to use its special hits. So it all makes sense in the end and I think it's not such a bad idea.

What do you guys think?

I'll have something up at some point in the style of my larger pixel art works (see my renditions of the first three CaPs to get what I mean). I'll be messing around with the idea of crystals for this but that's the only solid idea i'll be using to begin with. Considering the approximate build and movepool this CaP may have i'll be in my element with this design.

Although the implementation of crystals and gems is so overused, boring, and unoriginal for the justification of special attacks, a special sweeping rock doesn't exactly give you a plethora of options. This triceratops is pretty awesome, love how the crystals make it's horns and crown. Great way to start off the submissions.

Although the implementation of crystals and gems is so overused, boring, and unoriginal for the justification of special attacks, a special sweeping rock doesn't exactly give you a plethora of options. This triceratops is pretty awesome, love how the crystals make it's horns and crown. Great way to start off the submissions.
Thanks, that felt good. Using crystals and gems etc. is the only solid idea I have right now. I'm still looking at the rock pokemon and other pokemon to give me some more ideas. It's so hard because you have to make it look like it's attackive on the special side.

Ok Ghandi's suggestions for this Pokemon as I can't draw for shit.

You have to keep in mind that this will be unlike the common rocks you see everyday, and so I would suggest that instead of using the ordinary grey/black/brown colouration you could have quite a white appearence (Similar to that of limestone).

Also fast rocks, what this comes to mind would be rocks that you can skim across the water, as that's the only time I see a rock move quite fast, so instead of the craggy rough edges that rock types take up on this game, a Smooth Rock type should be opted instead.

Also noting that Rock types in this game tend to be quite bulky and big, so something small and thin should be the aim of the game.

Just some observations...

I think the idea of crystals and gems is great for this CAP. Just straight out "rocks" seem much more sturdy, and suited for physical. But the mystical and spiritual properties that come from crystals and gems imo are much more suited for something special based, when we're talking about rock Pokemon. There are many types of crystals and gems too, so the creative possibilities are there.

Anyhow thought I throw in some possible inspirational images:

Crystal Skulls

For those who don't know the legend of the crystal skulls, they were ancient skulls made out of different type of crystals that originated from the Mayan culture. However, even up to this date no one can actually replicate the same type of skulls. They're items that are unknown to man as to how exactly they were made. Some people think they were gifts from ETs and that when all brought together something will happen (also part of the passed down lore, and a possible inspiration of the dragon balls).
Currently they're scattered around South America and Mexico, they have never been all found.

I also remember Lexite saying that a Gargoyle creature might be cool.

Whenever I think of a Gargoyle Pokemon I think about Gliscor,

but that could just count as a giant bat/manticore. So a more Gargoyle/rock orientated Pokemon could be possible.

A gargoyle idea nis awesome, but two things.

1) its pure rock so no wings,
2) no levitate either. firstly, too much gets levitate, and secondly, i makes no sense for a winged pokemon of a single type to have levitate instead of flying type.

so yeah, not all gargoyles need wings :P

A special rock should definatly have a jewel theme. I also think incorporating a ring aspect works well highling speed (it acts as wheel) and the magical association with gem stones. There are far better artists on this site so if somebody wants to modify or take aspects off of this submission feel free.

I don't see why you can just rule out levitate because "too many poke's get it
" that is not reasonable to alot of art designs.

And to the Jupiter one above me a pokemon usually has eyes or a mouth lol.

If you notice the jewels are its eyes and there a plenty of mystery mouth pokemon*

*Also I think you ment Saturn with the ring planet reference

I'm all for seeing some precious stone-themed Pokemon, but let's not pigeonhole the special Rock concept just yet.

Figurines and sculptures, particularly feminine ones, can potentially look pretty magicky.

any guesses as to what these are based on? (not submissions, btw, just retarded sketches..)

Also, in regards to the gargoyle; that could be another fun idea. There are a lot of Pokemon with wings (mostly bugs) that are neither Flying nor Levitating, and in the case of a statue, the wings would be solid and only ornamental anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of submissions we get for this one. Already the one's coming in are very unique.

Yeah I did mean Saturn lol and now I see the eyes a little better now that you mention it but I think you should make them more eye looking then just random shapes.

I think levitate could be good on our rocky friend, I can see something lunatone/solrock-esque but less psychicish and more fastish lol

any guesses as to what these are based on? (not submissions, btw, just retarded sketches..)
those are the early venus sculptures, if i remember correctly.

i sort of have an idea for this but i cant draw. i might get a friend to draw it or something so i might have a submission up later

I think if a Gargoyle is submitted, it needs to be quirky looking rather than fearsome, aswell as some crystalized form to show mysitcal special attack.

Give it wings, then give it a dex entry about the weight of the wings don't allow them to fly, but are used to streamline speed...

I'm at my dorm at the moment, so I can't scan my sketches yet, but let me give you all a hint:

We want speed and special attack, right? ;)

(Seriously, though, this is my first time getting involved in CAP, so I hope I'm doing things right. Maybe you all could help me with some of the finer details of my submission if I post some side-by-side concepts and variations, yes? I'd like to know what people think/prefer....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)