CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 13 - Name Discussion/Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Because Kitsunoh is just weeaboos wanting a Japanese name cause it looks like a fox. No one gets how it relates to anything without prior Japanese language. I commend the effort put into it, but seriously, who uses Pachirisu anyway? You guys should refer to prior CAPs to see he names that are used.
He's right, the most obscure names out of all of them is Syclant (Icicle+Ant), and Revenankh (Revenant/Revenge+Ankh). Pyroak is obvious, and Fidgit, Stratagem, and Arghonaut are all words that have dual meanings. There are no crazy roots (Old Norse what the fuck?), and there are no weird words. Keep it simple and you'll go farther.

Note that I think Phox is a really bad name since it doesn't convey any meaning of this Pokemon other than it's a fox.

Because Kitsunoh is just weeaboos wanting a Japanese name cause it looks like a fox. No one gets how it relates to anything without prior Japanese language. I commend the effort put into it, but seriously, who uses Pachirisu anyway? You guys should refer to prior CAPs to see he names that are used.
Yeah I hate those whGreeks (that's white greek wannabees) who named Arghonaut, seriously, who knows what an argonaut is without prior knowledge of greek mythology.

Yeah I hate those whGreeks (that's white greek wannabees) who named Arghonaut, seriously, who knows what an argonaut is without prior knowledge of greek mythology.
Where I come from, virtually everyone has prior knowledge of Greek mythology. I myself do not know anyone who has never heard of Jason and the Argonauts.

tennisace: It is a fusion of Phantom and Fox, conveying the sense this pokemon is a ghost pokemon, and foxlike (I know, statement of the obvious... ;-;). To fox is also a verb that means to deceive, and CAP7 looks pretty tricksy to me.

We learn about Greek mythology in school repeatedly e_e; Arghonaut is pretty esay to understand anyway without it because 'Argh' = pirates and 'naut' can be interpreted as nautical.

Twiren.

Twilight + Siren

Twilight, as in, like, night or something.
Siren to illustrate the spookiness, and it alerts the trainer of any threats to the team, since that what a scout should do.

Masqmorte or Masquemorte.

While masque would be correct, I think spelling it Masq qould be cooler.
Or you could pronounce the que as 'Kuh', like mass-KUH-mor-tay.
Or just mask-MOR-tay.

Either one. :P They both mean the same thing. Masq/masque, I'm not ENTIRELY sure what that is, but its in masquerade, and sounds cool with morte, which means death. In some language. I dunno.

I submit Maskitell.
Code:
Mask + kit(sune) + tell (as this Pokémon's purpose is to TELL you about what your opponent is going to do)

So far, the only two suggestions I've liked are Barghest and Equinox.

As for my own?

Janumbrynx

Name comes from:

-Janus, Greek god of doorways, gates, endings and beginnings; known for the rather unusual attribute of having two faces. Fits the theme of the scout, as well as the pokemon itself (somewhat).

-Umbra, the latin word for shadow. Umbreon kinda got here first, though.

-Lynx, a genus of cat.

EDIT: damn, wasn't aware of the 10 character limit. Changed it.

So far, the only two suggestions I've liked are Barghest and Equinox.

As for my own?

Janumbralynx

Name comes from:

-Janus, Greek god of doorways, gates, endings and beginnings; known for the unusual attribute of having two faces. Fits the theme of the scout, as well as the pokemon itself (somewhat).

-Umbra, the latin word for shadow. Umbreon kinda got here first, though.

-Lynx, a genus of cat.
10charlimitlol

Pharon

[Phantom + Iron]

The name also resembles the word Pharaoh, which is somehow appropriate, since it reminds me of ancient Egypt, where people thought highly of cats. (Yes, it looks like a cat to me :P)

Nazask - Nazo (Mystery) and Mask (also ask... like you ask your scout about the opponent)

(EDIT: Changing name submission crafty veteran is right... to many ox's...)

Plenty of submissions with "ox" or fox, it really doesn't look like a fox, it's just a 4 legged animal and there are unknown features of a fox in the design. For all I know it could be a dog. Best portray it as a beast. Also I agree with Thorns about the mythological names , japanese names, etc. Keep it simple, imo the most successful name was Arghonaut, it gives it a friendly, pokemon flavour name to it.

I like this one a lot. Simple and to the point without sounding too clunky.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I see the design as more cat-like than fox-like. Foxes have very pointed heads, but this one's "head" is completely round.
Sentraith sounds like a suitable name for a Pokemon like this. I'll have to agree with Crafty Veteran.
Much love.

Didn't want to double post

This thread needs more BonkaBoink.

*CaP7 used U-turn! Bonk!*
*later*
*CaP7 used U-turn! Boink!*

Ah, the sweet sound of our scout doing its job.

I mean no offense but, all the biological families for animals end in -idae, so visidae pretty much means the family of sight. If you wanted to use the name right it would have been best to use canis-.
-_-

This is why I need to do things at normal hours, I'd remember stuff like that.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, I think some of these names that are related to actual words sound so much better than these contrived "join two greek words together to make something unpronounceable" names. Tennis, I love Equinox, and Hazmat's Ebonite is very cool too.

The fox is a cool, slick, dark pokemon, don't ruin it by giving it a name that makes your tongue trip over. I think the name should be reflective of the pokemon, and so something smooth and sophisticated would be best fitting imo. That's why I like Equinox and Ebonite so much.

My submission is Hallike. Like I said, I didn't try to juxtapose two words, but rather this is just something that came to me off the top of my head. It sounds cold and somewhat metallic (carbonite, kryptonite =P). If you really want, you could try and make it something like "Hallucination Strike", but really, its what the word sounds like, not it's ancient greek roots, that matter. It's a pokemon after all.

Well, my last post was deleted, so I'll just post the idea I like most:
Feleep FAY-leep
A combination of Feline and Leap (corrupted), referring to its feline appearance and the fact that it teleports around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)