• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Our Pokemon so far:

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.
Type: Steel / Ghost
Ability: Frisk / Limber
Stats: 80 HP / 103 Atk / 85 Def /55 SpA /80 SpD /110 Spe

In this thread, vote for the new move you think would be best for CAP 7. Use the clicky poll above to vote. The names of the new moves are subject to change.

Options:

Shadow Strike:
I don't think we should create a steel STAB. Steel already has perfectly viable moves in Iron Head and Meteor Mash. They pack a nice punch and should force switches either through sheer power or flinching annoyance. Ghost is the STAB here needing help, since the very best attack it can have (not including Shadow Force) is Shadow Claw, that has a awful BP and rather useless secondary effect. With that in mind, I really suggest we make this new attack Ghost-Typed, so it has two good STABs to work with.

Moving to the secondary effect here, I am against pairing U-turn with Ghost Type as I really wouldn't like to see our best scouting move being nullified just because your opponent likes a normal type. Even without STAB, U-turn is already a fine move (take Flygon for example). Other examples of secondary effects that I don't find appealing for this poke are status inflicting moves (unless you do something like yawn, but this is for offensive moves), since switching out after being statused gives you no benefits (excluding nature cure pokes) and is actually bad, since it opens up the possibility of you getting another poke statused. So, I believe this move should have a secondary effect that either puts the opponent in a bad situation AND disappears upon switching (best examples being Confusion and stat reduction) or just forces the opponent out right away (roar for example). Of those options, I prefered to be a little conservative and chose something already existant (Crush Claw), only with a small power boost so it can play better the role of main STAB.

With all that being said, this is my proposition:

Shadow Strike (can you get more generic than that?)
Type: Ghost
Physical
Power: 80
Accuracy: 95%
PP: 10
Special: 50% chance of lowering defense 1 stage

80 BP so it is reliable without being overly powerful; 95% accuracy because I feel a 100% accuracy move with that secondary effect would be a tad too good, especially if compared to Crunch (but I can change to 100% if necessary) and 95% is more than enough (take Air Slash, for example); 10 pp just because and 50% chance of lowering def 1 stage because a 2 stage drop can be a bit too extreme (for example it makes it possible for this poke to 2HKO Bronzong with LO, which is bad, while -1 packs enough power to 2HKO Bold Zapdos with LO and SR) and we need to make it happen often enough to make it reliable.
Rift Hop:
Eh Bass thought the one that was posted earlier by someone else was a bit too much, so I thought I would clean it up a bit and make it less "broken". Credit for the name to whoever the original creator was.

Rift Hop
Power: 60
Accuracy: 100
Type: Ghost
PP: 10
Priority: 0
Ability: Acts like U-Turn except with the added effect that it halves the residual damage taken from Spikes / Stealth Rock upon entry for the Pokemon that switches in.

Spikes:
1 layer: 6.25% (6%)
2 layers: 9.375% (9%)
3 layers: 12.5% (12%)

Stealth Rock:
4x Resistant: 1.5625% (1%)
2x Resistant: 3.125% (3%)
Neutral: 6.25% (6%)
2x Weak: 12.5% (12%)
4x Weak: 25% (25%)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I voted for Rift Hop.

Just a small note, if Shadow Strike wins, it should probably be renamed, as I belaeve Shadow Strike is the Japanese name for Shadow Sneak.

Shadow Strike. IIRC, the lack of reliable ghost STAB cropped up quite a bit in previous discussions, and Rift Hop simply does not fit the bill.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm all for Shadow Strike because of the similarities to the move I proposed, and I really feel giving it reliable, strong Ghost STAB is preferable to another switchout move. U-turn is honestly fine.

Shadow Strike is supperior. Rift Hop is a "screw you SR", weaker version or u-turn. We need a good ghost STAB, and that is just not offered in the move Rift hop.

I've had complaints about both moves before, and they still stand. However, after much (much!) consideration, I'll take Shadow Strike over Rift Hop. May we pray this thing doesn't become a sweeper (or at least it gets a cool sprite).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)