CAP Doubles Discussion

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've always been interested in doubles and triples. They've generally been the metagames skated over due to a "small playerbase" and so-called "lack of strategy". Now I can't speak about Triples, since I *have* played it and it didn't seem very enjoyable, a lot of people can vouch for Doubles. Doubles is an interesting metagame, and this thread is for discussion of how the CAPs(which were designed for a singles metagame) function in a doubles metagame(both Generation 4 and the unofficial "Generation 5 CAP").

Syclant - The glass cannon takes a blow in doubles, because of the fact that is much easier to revenge kill, and the move Substitute loses a lot of its scouting value. Syclant is not entirely out of the ring however, and it can work in generation 5 on "BlizzSpam" teams as an excellent mixed threat. However, it most certainly isn't breaking any records.

Revenankh - Bulky Revenankh is a nice addition on 2v2 teams, capable of holding it's own in Generation 5 with the new upgraded Drain Punch and with Shadow Sneak, invaluable move that it is. In Generation 4 however,it struggles a little, but makes for a good bulky Trick Room sweeper.

Pyroak - Pyroak makes for an excellent addition to Sun teams, but sorely feels the lack of Chlorophyll and its middling speed. Its bulky, but it will not revolutionize this metagame. Pyroak makes for a decent Trick Room sweeper however.

Fidgit - Fidgit shines a lot as a supporter, and in doubles, it gets to showcase its talents. Tailwind is a dangerous tool, and with Persistent, Fidgit is bound to make a splash in the area of themed teams. It also has access to Encore, letting it slow down the opponent's assault. Fidgit is one of the few CAPs who are bound to find more usage in doubles than in singles.

Stratagem - Much like Syclant, Stratagem takes a hit in usage in doubles, but not an overly heavy one. With access to Levitate, it can avoid the popular Earthquake, and has a wide movepool which is sure to gain it a slot on several goodstuffs teams. However, its frailty means that it will be felled easily by priority.

Arghonaut - Arghonaut's entire concept fails in doubles, because outside of Follow Me + Belly Drum leads, stat boosting is very rare in doubles. So Arghonaut doesn't have anything to actually do, outside of sitting out on the field and becoming fodder.

Kitsunoh - With Frisk, Kitsunoh makes for a good lead. While Superpower is a bit of a drawback in doubles, Kitsunoh functions very well between ShadowStrike and the elemental punches, as it has a partner to pick up the slack. Kitsunoh's value comes from its speed, meaning it makes for an excellent revenge killer.

Cyclohm - The dragon of global effects. CYclohm has tools for almost any weather(barring Sandstorm), Gravity and can even be EV'd to play under Trick Room! Cyclohm also has respectable bulk, meaning it can function as an anti-weather Pokemon. It certainly prefers Rain more than other weathers.

Colossoil - It has a strong Earthquake, and has access to STAB SUcker Punch, making it the bane of all frail sweepers. However, status is a bit rare in doubles, so it will mostly have to rely on Life Orb.

Krilowatt - One of the best Rain sweepers there is. Really, the only thing it's missing is Swift Swim, but it doesn't need it too much as it can function alongside anotehr Rain sweeper, allowing it to clean out speed-freaks while Krilowatt washes out the other Pokemon. STAB Surfs in the Rain really sting.

Voodoom - The last of the CAPs. Voodoom doesn't have too much going for it, but in Gen 5, Lightningrod lets it function very well alongside Zapdos. One of the lesser threats, btu definitely cannot be ignored.

Discuss.

Don't you think you're underselling Syclant? Sure, Blizzard is the only reason you'd use it, but Compoundeyes STAB 114 base SpA Blizzard hitting both opponents is awesome.

Cyclohm isn't slow enough to counter TR, though. I mean, compared to slow stuff like Eggy and Rhyperior and Aggron, y'know?

Destiny Warrior

Compoundeyes STAB 114 base SpA Blizzard is awesome....if you can get around the ineveitable priority. Priority is pretty important in doubles, because its really important for taking spread attack abusers.

Cyclohm doesn't counter TR, I mention it *can* be EV'd to play under TR. There's a difference!

Cyclohm and Krillowatt get Discharge, Blizzard and Surf...on an unrelated note, was Cyclohm supposed to be a Hippowdon ripoff because their physical defense stats are the same as well as their main attacking stat.

Destiny Warrior

Speaking of spread moves, VooZap looks like a good combo. Zapdos spams Discharge, and Voodoom's Special Attack keeps going up. What do you guys think?

Destiny Warrior

Voodoom is pretty fast, and with Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere can really help Zaodos eliminate troublesome Pokemon, and its getting more and more powerful as the game goes on.

Wait Dark Pulse is a long range attack in triples? I had no idea, I only knew about Aura Sphere 0.o.

Gust, Wing Attack, Fly, Peck, Drill Peck, Sky Attack, Aeroblast, Aerial Ace, Bounce, Pluck, Air Slash, Brave Bird, Chatter, Sky Drop, Acrobatics, Hurricane, Dragon Pulse, Water Pulse, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Perish Song, and Heal Pulse are all the long ranged attacks (all flying attacks except Air Cutter, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, Water Pulse, Perish Song and Heal Pulse).

Actually with Voodoom the two pokemon that resist its STABs can be covered by Zappy's Extrasensory, however isn't it a bad idea to have two special attackers out at once?

Destiny Warrior

It would be if Blissey had any semblance of usage. However, with things like Colossoil and whatnot running around having a party, Blissey's in a shell.

In any case, Voodoom can always run CC to beat down it, it does decent damage with no EVs, and can be picked off.

Destiny Warrior

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE bump

With the release of Tomahawk, we've got a new addition to CAP Doubles! Discuss what Tomahawk could do in the CAP metagame!

I think Tomahawk would be a nice addition to Rain teams, with its strong Hurricane. It would like team up decently with Krilowatt, but that's just my opinion!

Let's get this thread active again....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)