CAP History Primer

Because I'm new here, I decided to put up this thread to help myself and other newbies get up to speed on the CAP project's history. Basically, what I'm looking for is a quick recap of what the CAP project's been about up to this point. Things like the concepts of the previous CAP Pokemon, an easy-to-understand explanation of Base Stat Ratings (that means nothing that would require a calculus degree,) five-sentence descriptions of each step of the process, how to get onto the Shoddy Battle Server, etc... This shouldn't be a place to hit us over the head with everything at once; if we want to dive into the deeper details, we can look for them. So, anyways, are any of the experienced community members willing to volunteer?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If you can't take the time to read them over then why should we (as members who actually did take the time to read them) cater to you? They're already as concise as possible.

Quite frankly it's not anyone's job to introduce new members to anything. Either you take the time to find out for yourself or just don't do it at all; members expect to see that kind of dedication around here. Lurk through the CAP forums for a bit, see the building processes. Honestly, if you can't even take the trouble to do that, you won't be much help.

EDIT: ninja'd by tennisace

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think this could be a good document to have -- but I think it should be written by a relative newcomer to the project. All the experienced members have forgotten what level of detail is probably best for an "overview" of the project. Luigifan, are you willing to write this document? Between the CAP website and this forum, I can assure you that everything anyone could ever want to know is here. It's just a matter of searching to find it. I bet all the common stuff that would be in an overview, isn't hard to find at all -- but it would be even easier to find if it was compiled into an overview.

So, Luigifan, care to volunteer? It would be a big help.

Just in case Luigifan says no... I'm sticking my hand up. I quite enjoy writing guides and summaries.

I'm still pretty new here, having lurked since Krilowatt and posted since Voodoom. At the same time, I've seen the process twice, so I'd have a basic idea of what was going on. On top of that, I have more free time than usual for the next week or so, and like I said - I'm up for it.

So, Luigifan, it's your choice - if you want to do this yourself then go ahead, it's your idea after all! If you'd rather not, then the guide will still get written by me or by another volunteer.

I won't spearhead the project.... but I'm willing to help. As someone taking on the rather extensive and sometimes tedious task of familiarizing myself with all of the articles relevant to the CAP project I can honestly say that a quick reference guide and overview would be very helpful for newcomers.

I think this is a fantastic idea! I agree with previous posters that those who don't really care to learn how to contribute will anyway not benefit from something like this. But I have a feeling that there are a few who might become valuable contributors but get discouraged by having to do a lot of searching and research before getting a chance to contribute. To people who are genuinely interested in learning, having a CAP primer like this would be tremendously helpful.

I would also definitely encourage a newcomer to do this. And if you do own up this little project, don't get the idea that you're forced to do it alone. Many, including myself, would love to help with either clarifying things or offering feedback. But someone relatively new must take up the final responsibility for it. :)

Id love to try and do this Ive been lurking on Cap since voodoom but never really been able to get into it more than voting in the Art polls and reading more experiance cap makers posts =).

I'd love to support, but I'll readily stand down if someone more qualified steps up. Still Doug, you have to admit that anyone, even newbies, that wants to integrate themselves into CAP should at least pay the time to look through past processes.

I think this could be a good document to have -- but I think it should be written by a relative newcomer to the project. All the experienced members have forgotten what level of detail is probably best for an "overview" of the project. Luigifan, are you willing to write this document? Between the CAP website and this forum, I can assure you that everything anyone could ever want to know is here. It's just a matter of searching to find it. I bet all the common stuff that would be in an overview, isn't hard to find at all -- but it would be even easier to find if it was compiled into an overview.

So, Luigifan, care to volunteer? It would be a big help.
I wouldn't really mind - I'm just not sure that I can find the time.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I wouldn't really mind - I'm just not sure that I can find the time.
I'm double majoring in Electrical and Biomedical Engineering and I volunteer my time on campus. I'm sure you can find time; the entire CAP forum is now counting on you. In fact I even added this to the CAP to-do list!

Luigifan, you're looking to be a very promising addition to the CAP project. Taking on this much responsibility when you're so fresh takes some serious guts. i think it's great that a new user is stepping up to the plate like this, it's really an inspiration to myself and the other new users who posted in this thread. How long do you think you'll need to write this up? Most people take three or four days on projects like these, but honestly i think we all know you can do better than that. :)

remember, if you're sketchy on any of the details, you can find your answers at http://www.smogon.com/cap/

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also don't look to Umbreon Dan for your completion window. You must use your every resource to make sure he retains his title of slowest project contributor ever! You don't want to be beaten by a Negative Nancy, do you?

I didn't think so.

Also, this is one project that I like but I'm not going to pull somebody's rear end out of the fire about it. As long as you're into reading to do this project, I recommend going to the thread that says READ THIS FIRST. Then peruse the other articles on the CAP website.

Good day.

Heh, I'm glad for the suggestion, but if I thought I could have done this myself, I probably would have gone ahead and just done it, rather than asking for help. ^_^;

tennisace

You're already assigned to do the work, you need to do this article or at least complete a large portion of it.

I've never written one of these before but if you don't mind I could try writing something up. Would I post it here or send it too one of the admins?

Hey, Luigifan has already generously donated his valuable time to doing the project, he probably won't need in any help, the article should only take about 7-10 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)