CAP Prevo - Nohface Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey all! Let's decide on Nohface's abilities!

Frisk/Limber/Iron Fist are Kitsunoh's current abilities. The set Frisk/Limber/Iron Fist will be on the slate by default.

If you wish to suggest a different set of abilities, please indicate the entire set in Ability 1/Ability 2/Hidden Ability order. For example, if you wanted to switch out Iron Fist for Long Reach, you should recommend the set Frisk/Limber/Long Reach.

-----

Nohface so far:

Type: Ghost

Main design:

-----

This thread will be open for 72 hours.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
I think the only thing in the list that might be unfitting is Iron Fist (cuz it barely has arms) But i think I'm fine with everything else. Maybe something like Cursed Body or Rattled could be cool but I think I'll go with Frisk/Limber

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like Zephyr's suggestion of Rattled instead of Iron Fist. I agree that it barely having arms, and certainly not fists is worth discounting it, particularly because it isn't a Steel type either so could feasibly not learn Meteor Mash. Rattled also has good flavour on small pet like designs as a hidden ability, being on Alolan Meowth, Snubbull, Poochyena and Yamper.

Frisk/Limber/Rattled would be my vote!

Frisk I was initially thinking might not be best because of how much shorter its arms are but then I realized if Dusclops can do it with nothing but armless hands there's no reason Nohface shouldn't be able to as well, and I think it fits well thematically.

Going to go with the previous posts on this though, the much shorter front legs don't fit well with Iron Fist

I'm really liking Rattled as a flavor ability like Zephyr suggested

Frisk/Limber/Rattled gets my support too.

I reckon Iron Fist is the only one that has to go, but instead of Rattled, how about Infiltrator? Kit's initial concept was the ultimate scout (or something along those lines), Infiltrator fits right in. Looking at the mons that have it, we see a few Ghist types, a couple of cat/fox things and a couple of other mons. Nohface ticks two of those three boxes and it would be cool flavour. The ability has little impact on the LC competitive scene (never seen or heard of a CAPLC battle, but it probably exists) given the hyper offence nature if LC.

Frisk/Limber/Infiltrator sounds good to me.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Just give it Shadow Tag
I echo Iron Fist's point. This ability makes no sense in a Pokémon that barely has limbs. Kitsunoh just doesn't have the shape and the body structure to fit it.

Despite that, I don't know what option I like the most. Frisk/Limber, Frisk/Limber/Long Reach, Frisk/Limber/Cursed Body, and Frisk/Limber/Rattled, all seem great options and I would be happy with any of them.

I dislike Rattled because it is usually reserved for Pokémon who have reasons to be easily scared, and Nohface looks more scary than easily scared.
Frisk/Limber/Cursed Body seems fine, or Rattled can be reversed into Frisk/Limber/Unnerve.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I am in support or rattled replacing iron fist. There are only 2 evolution likes that lose an ability for iron fist (Ledian and Hitmonchan) and Ledian is the only line to do so in the HA slot. Both abilities prior to obtaining iron fist are ones that raise the mons speed when hit by specific moves (rattled and steadfast). I don't think it is necessary to change from our standard abilities, but this is the trend of "different ability" to iron fist if we choose to go that route.

While nobody has talked about changing the other abilities, I'll go ahead and list the trends of Frisk and Limber if someone feels inclined to make a recommendation.

First off, Frisk is primarily an ability that goes unchanged in most evolution lines, especially for ghost types. There are 2 outliers to this trend (Wigglytuff and Orbeetle). We see the HA slot for Wigglytuff changing from Friend Guard to Frisk and Orbeetle changing from Compound Eyes to Frisk. Neither are overly flavorful or relevant to Nohface.

Secondly, Limber has a few weird cases for evolution lines. The most relevant cases are Persian and Hitmonlee. Persian loses pick up and gains limber through evolution and Hitmonlee loses guts for limber. I could see this ability changing for Nohface. If it were to, using the prexisting trend of pick up to limber could be a nice selection or an ability that also leans into status such as quick feet to limber could work.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We're a bit constrained by existing flavor that Nohface should be able to punch somehow, since it gets Meteor Mash (which gets boosted by Iron Fist) as an egg move. Iron Fist isn't my favorite, but if we're going the way of Wooper and Gastly in that they can both learn punching moves without hands, then Nohface should be able to do the same. It's shaky flavor, but at least it's consistent!

--

I agree with Menshay that Nohface seems more like the type to make others Rattled instead of itself being Rattled. I think that Rattled isn't great flavor. Instead, here are some abilities I support, including explanations.
  • Frisk/Limber/Cursed Body: Nohface looks like an archetypal Ghost-type, and Cursed Body is an archetypal Ghost-type Pokemon ability.
  • Frisk/Limber/Keen Eye: I can imagine Nohface just staring at you menacingly. Glameow and Espurr both get this one, as well as Sableye, which has a similar aesthetic to Nohface (in my opinion).
  • Frisk/Limber/Infiltrator: To me, Nohface looks like the stealthy type, to be able to slip unseen in the shadows. Ghost-type Pokemon like Litwick and Spiritomb get it, as well as Espurr, another creepy cat.
  • Frisk/Limber/Insomnia: Nohface is solidly a "spooky Pokemon", like Spinarak, Murkrow, and Pumpkaboo, which get this ability.
  • Frisk/Limber/Unnerve: Nohface looks unnerving, and Meowth gets it, too, so there's cat correlation there.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Further support of Rattled as the hidden ability and no change to Frisk and Limber. While I understand where Quan is coming from, my interpretation of Nohface's flavor actually falls into both Rattles: the presence of a Nohface is certainly something that could rattle someone, but Nohface always came off as meek and secretive to me, so I can totally see it being equally shocked by someone.

If I do change my mind on this though, I think Cursed Body and Unnerve work equally well for Nohface.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
I want to echo again that there is no necessity for giving it three abilities... there are multiple cases where an ability gets added on evolution and changing the hidden ability to a new one purely for the purpose of making it "different" is something I don't completely agree with. My favorite is still Frisk/Limber, but if an extra one had to be added I'd want it to be either Rattled, Unnerve, or Cursed Body, in that order. Thanks for reading!\

EDIT: I just found out from Mova that no pokemon has two regular abilities without a hidden, so you can basically ignore this entire post except for the part where I talk about the hidden abilities I like

Last edited:
I like the main pair of Frisk and Limber, but I'd like to suggest No Guard for the third, simply for the novelty of Nohface having No Guard. Plus, it doesn't have a mask yet, so I guess you could say it really doesn't have anything to guard itself with. Other than that, I'll echo Rattled (the design looks kind of shy... maybe it could work while keeping the flavor of an easily frightened Pokémon?), Cursed Body, and Insomnia.

I kind of realize now that Nohface is actually fairly early in production right now. That means its flavor is still up in the air even if its final form's role in battle is done (Kitsunoh's having its pokedex polling options being submit right now and polling won't be done until after this thread closes, so we don't have that to base it on).

I can definitely see Rattled ending up a really bad/unfitting ability if we get something like "Kitsunoh, the Emotionless pokemon: It feels no fear" as the winning entry (and there's already one with that general theme on the table that could very well win)

Rattled might end up fitting just fine, even great with the entries or it might end up backfiring badly. I don't like that risk.

Unnerve fits just for visual design alone and Keen eye also fits with those creepy little red eyes. Infiltrator wouldn't be bad, but I'm indifferent to it. All the others suggested are basically stock ghost type/spooky pokemon abilities that would fit just fine.
Not having a third ability like Zephyr suggested doesn't fit quite right with me. The only real times I can think of where that happens are some cocoon pokemon being locked to shed skin and then getting more options on evolution (and those still had multiple abilities pre-evolution), and Ferroseed who only has iron barbs but had anticipation randomly added as a hidden ability to only Ferrothorn in gen 6. It's not really a common thing to my knowledge.

I don't see a reason to have Nohface and Kitsunoh with different hidden abilities and I don't see it as a scared ghost so rattled is a no for me. If the HA is going to be changed Cursed Body and Unnerve are the best options.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
I also disagree with the idea that Nohface is a cowardly/easily spooked pokemon and think Rattled is the wrong approach to take it. Every other option presented so far I'm more or less indifferent too, but Unnerve stands out as particularly fitting imo. If I was walking down a dark street and rounded the corner to see THIS thing staring at me I sure as hell would feel unnerved. Keen Eye works in this regard as well but it doesn't state the spook factor of Nohface as much.

Therefore my picks are for either Frisk/Limber/Unnerve or to retain Frisk/Limber/Iron Fist.

Just going to double down on Infiltrator. but I've come to like Keen Eye just as much. They both fit with the design and give a bit of a spooky feel.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I agree with Zetasniper with the Unnerve pick. If I saw a Nohface in a dark alleyway, in the middle of the night, I'd definitly feel unnerved. I also think Infiltrator is a good HA, in the sense that Nohface seems even more sleek and sneaky than Kitsunoh given it doesn't have any masks yet.

My picks are either Frisk/Limber/Unnerve or Frisk/Limber/Infiltrator

Also, this is my first time posting on any CAP related project, I've been lurking for the past 3 hours learning as much as I can
Also2, hey, Mr.Panda411 fancy seeing you here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)