CaP Prevos - CaP 28 Prevo - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hi All!

Now that we have our artwork we can start in earnest a discussion about what typing it should have!

Sunfished's design won out and Miasmaw is already known as a Bug/Dragon type! This type will always be on the slate, but feel free to suggest others!

You guys have 48 hours to suggest ideas!

I can't see this being anything but Bug/Dragon. It has the buggy look as well as that dragon skull carapace, I don't see any need for a type change.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Not much to say that jewvia hasn't, but yea Bug/Dragon works well, no need for change. The only other types i see working (and these are far and away worse than Bug/Dragon, no reason to pick them over the bug dragon but they're bound to be mentioned so might as well do it now) are Bug/Poison and pure Bug, both of which are inferior to Bug Dragon imo

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
I’d like to advocate for Bug/Poison or just pure Bug. Bug/Poison fits Miasmaw’s name, moveset (although from a moveset perspective it would be more likely for the prevo to be Bug/Ground, but where’s the fun in that), and even ability. Since all known Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas are poison type, it would make sense for at least Miasmaw’s prevo to be part poison type. I also would like to advocate for pure Bug just because a lot of baby bug Pokémon tend not to gain their secondary typing until they evolve (Karrablast, Burmy, Grubbin, etc.).

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We cant actually go Bug Poison here I think. Most poison moves have been banned, and I dont know how that would work via movepools.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
We cant actually go Bug Poison here I think. Most poison moves have been banned, and I dont know how that would work via movepools.
Oh, I wasn’t aware movepool stuff was still going on with Miasmaw. I based my assumption on Miasmaw’s playtest movepool.

i as well think it would be weird to go bug poison since strong poison moEvs are disallowed. I can see pure bug or bug dragon , although I’m leaning towards the former.

Personally, i think that going pure bug, but keeping a strong dragon type presence in it's movepool would be enough. That said, i wouldnt mind a dec dragon type in LC

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pure Bug is probably my preferred typing as well. While that demands a specific way to craft our movepools, luckily for us, the main CAP movepool process has been modified to allow it.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Besides Bug/Dragon, a pure Bug typing is a natural fit on baby maw. Also I can't see another types combination that does well for it.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think the dragon's maw is enough of a tip to Dragon as a typing, so Bug/Dragon would be my preference.

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
The design doesn't look like it'll do metamorphosis or something like that and rather would just grow so I'm fine with Bug/Dragon, but I prefer just plain Bug.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This seems like it has a pretty clear Dragon reference to me and a majority of 2 stage bugs don't change typing with evolution
(ie Parasect, Venomoth, Armaldo, Crustle, Galvantula, Volcarona, etc etc)

Stick with Bug/Dragon.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I personally prefer sticking with Bug / Dragon. I think its progression is quite similar to the Applin line, with the design looking enough like a dragon skull to justify it.

Pure Bug would likely be fine too, but I'd prefer maintaining the Dragon type.

I like pure Bug. Partly it’s just my gen 1-5er sense, though; in those gens there weren’t cute two stage dragon prevos; heck even 3 stage dragons typically drifted a little bit out of cute into either tough or elegant. This feels just too wimpy to be a dragon, even a baby one.

I would also prefer to maintain Bug/Dragon, but I guess pure Bug wouldn't hurt either. It vaguely reminds me of Applin and/or Snom's due to the Magikarp Power as well.

Bug/Dragon is the best working type for it, it really doesn't seem like a pure bug type. the whole thing on it's back would come to waste if we didn't make it it a Bug/Dragon.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Originally was on the pure bug camp, but I now have to agree with Bug/Dragon, the entire maw aspect kind of goes to waste otherwise.

Don't really get the argument about the jaw on the back going to waste if we go pure Bug. Plenty of Bugs and Bug Pokemon have jaws/mandibles/etc, and the design doesn't really strike me as being Bug/Dragon. Like I know that Goomy and Applin exist but typings aren't always intuitive. I would be voting pure Bug if given the option.

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to throw my support behind Bug/Dragon, I agree that the baby maw is enough to tip the scales in that direction. I'm all for rare typings and type changes, and since bugs often change their type when they evolve, I'd love to see one that doesn't.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Along with Bug/Dragon, pure Bug has received enough support to be polled on, so it will be a head-to-head between Bug/Dragon and pure Bug in the poll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)