CAP Survivor Season 2 Sign Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
-Idea borrowed from circus maximus and format largely modeled after the show-

On a remote island somewhere in the region of CAPtonia, a group of 16-20 trainers will begin an adventure of a lifetime. For 39 days, they'll be marooned, left to fend for themselves, and adapt to their new environment. They'll be forced to work together, or they'll be voted out of the tribe. In the end, only one will remain, and will leave the island with the title of Sole Survivor. 39 days. 16-20 people. 1 Survivor!

This time, I will be cohosting the season with ItzViper482.

Rules / FAQ below for your viewing convenience

1. Game Basics:
There will be either two starting tribes with 8, 9, or 10 people each OR three starting tribes with 5 or 6 people each. Tribe size will be based on the number of people who sign up. Tribes will be setup in order to ensure that both tribes are about equal in battling skill (as best as possible, no guarantees).

-During the game there will be immunity challenges. Immunity challenges decide who is safe and who has to go to tribal council.

-During the Tribal Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost as a whole tribe. The tribe that loses in the immunity challenge will have to go to Tribal Council and vote someone out.

-During the Individual Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost by a single person. The winner of the immunity challenge cannot be voted upon, but (s)he will be able to vote.

2. Challenges
Challenges will normally consist of Pokemon battles using the Pokemon Showdown! simulator. Occasionally there will be non-battle challenges; however, the majority will involve some sort of Pokemon battling. Possibilities for non Pokemon battling challenges include things such as CAP process trivia or metagame statistics.

Challenges will vary in terms of tiers and rules, but all formats will be CAP metagame related.

-At the start of the Day phase, the details of the challenge will be posted.

-During Tribal (Team) challenges, some players will have to sit out some of the challenges. Players cannot sit out during two consecutive challenges. Yes, this is a little different from the show.

You don't need to be good at battling to succeed in Survivor. While being good at battling will help, no competitive battling experience is necessary. It's not required, but having CAP metagame experience will be very helpful to do well. However, the social element is still significant, so if you think you can learn CAP quickly or build alliances to compensate, then you should still have a good chance!

3. Tribal Council:
-Tribal Council will occur at the after the Immunity Challenge.

There will be a private Vote to see who is eliminated from the game.

-The vote total will be revealed to the tribe at the end of the night, but you will not know who voted for who.

-In case of an initial tie, there will be a re-vote where you can only vote for one of the people with the most votes. For example, if there are 3 votes for Player A, 3 votes for Player B, and 1 vote for Player C in a 7 man tribe, you may only vote for Player A or B during the re-vote and Player A and B cannot vote in said re-vote.

-In case of a second tie, the player who leaves will be determined by a random number generator. The players who tied for the most votes both times will be safe from this tiebreaker. In the previous example, players A and B would be safe. If any player played an immunity idol BEFORE the re-vote, then that player will also be safe from death by the random number generator.

Players voted out (aka dead) cannot be communicated with following their removal from the game. There will be absolutely no communication between dead players and alive players. This will change when the game reaches its conclusion, but until then, this rule will be strictly enforced. There will be absolutely no communication between alive players who are on different tribes with the exception of in-battle talk between opponents in a battle.

At a certain point, those voted out will form the Jury. The Jury is special in that they follow the game in order to vote for a winner at the end of the game.

4. Winning the Game:
-The goal of the game is to reach the Final Tribal Council, which typically occurs with just two or three people left in the game. You cannot win the game unless you make it to the Final Tribal Council.

-At the Final Tribal Council, the remaining players in the game speak to the jury and try to convince the jury that they deserve to win the game.

-Each finalist is allowed to make an opening statement on why they deserve to win the game.

Following opening statements, each Jury member is allowed to make either a statement or ask the finalists a question if they choose to. They may say or ask whatever they want.

-When everyone is done speaking, the jury will vote privately on who wins the game. Whoever gets the most votes wins.

5. Forum Mechanics:
A typical phase will go like this. I post a challenge and the rules. Teams will have around 48 hours to plan strategy and submit lineups (and other stuff like that). From there, tribes will have about 3-5 days to get matches done. The losing tribe will then go to tribal council where they will vote a person off.

The circus maximus channel on Pokemon Showdown! will be the primary place where games will be arranged. Try to idle there to catch your opponent!

No communication with players not on your tribe during the tribal stage. Obviously, I can't enforce this but other than pleasantries do not talk strategy regarding the game in a private manner. The only reason you should be talking to opposing tribe members is to schedule battles.

The voting stage will take place over 48 hours after the challenge is over. Players will have the first 24 hours to strategize, and then the last 24 to vote. You cannot change your vote once submitted. I will not be extending deadlines unless I absolutely have to.

Inactive players who fail to vote will vote for themselves, unless evidence can be provided otherwise as to that person voting for someone else, OR if I deem that self voting would negatively impact the strategy of the game, in which case I will randomize the vote.

-No anonymous nicks will be allowed for the purposes of this game. No impersonating as well. You will be punished if caught.

There will be Discord Channels set up to facilitate tribe discussions. Game related discussion between any group of 2 or more channels must also be accessible by the host; every time you talk game with someone else, the host should be invited to the conversation to gather information that will be revealed at the end of the season as a sort of mini-drama version of the real show.

6. FAQ:​
-Q: So this game draws a lot from the TV show?​
-A: Yes. A basic knowledge of the format of the game will help you.​
-Q: When is the merge, When does the Individual portion start, etc?​
Any and all twists will be hidden from the players. However, in the interest of fairness and objectivity, all twists and challenges have been planned out before hand. Since this game is not on television, I have no vested interest in ensuring that the game is interesting for outside viewers. As a result, I will be as consistent as possible in terms of following the plan for the game. However, I do reserve the right to make changes for any reason that I determine necessary to ensure the integrity of the game.​
-Q: Final 2 or Final 3?​
You'll see when/if we get there :]​
-Q: Will there be a redemption island?​
You'll see when/if we get there :]​
-Q: What does the jury base their votes on?​
The Jury is free to base their votes on whatever criteria that they believe to be important. There is no objective way to play the game that will guarantee you win; it is up to the Jury to decide that you are worthy of being the winner.​
-Q: Should I communicate my thoughts to the host?​
Absolutely! Please include me in all conversations, whatever they may be. I am planning to do a "postgame" that will go over what happened at every stage of the game, so any and all logs would be much appreciated.​
On sportsmanship:​
Look, this game is meant to be fun. The challenges are meant to be fun. That means I don't expect there to be too many problems regarding unsportmanlike behavior, especially since you cannot win the game by winning all the challenges. Avoid as much as possible situations in which I will be forced to intervene and make decisions (eg activity wins and disconnections). If I hear anything regarding things such as ghosting or any type of cheating at all, I will forcibly remove the offending parties from the game AND push for some sort of forum-wide infraction. It's a game. Don't be a jerk.​
If necessary, I will enact protocols (e.g. sending in teams and what not) to ensure the integrity of the game. Don't make me do that. I don't want to do that, so let's try our best to be reasonable :]​
On activity:​
You will get more from this game the more you put into it. By using pokemon battles as challenges, my goal is to make all stages of the game fun. That being said, I cannot force players to be active, as long as they meet the minimum requirements of voting and taking part in the challenges. If possible, I will avoid making substitutions unless absolutely necessary. A player who idles will likely be left in the game unless it is early in the game or I deem it necessary for whatever reason to make a substitution. However, I fully reserve the right to remove an inactive player if they prolong challenges/the game for other players. This game shouldn't take up too much of your time, but it will be a commitment. Do try your best to be active. Thanks :]​

Think you have what it takes to win CAP metagame-related challenges or CAP trivia events or solve riddles and puzzles? Want to prove that you don't only have prediction in battle but that you can also predict the flow of social events in a Survivor-esque setting? Then sign up!

Note that unlike the Circus version of this game, I will host it with a much more focused competitive-spin. Every "battle" challenge will relate to a CAP metagame format of some form (most commonly the current USM metagame). If you are not super familiar with the CAP metagame but you think you can learn fast, then by all means feel free to sign up. Winning the game will still require a social aspect, but there will be little things along the way that will definitely favor smart and perceptive CAP metagame battlers. Compared to the circus game, making it to the end without competitive knowledge will more difficult (though still possible I suppose). In short, this will follow the format of the show but challenges and advantages will be rewarded to those who display good CAP metagame knowledge and social skills/strategizing within the parameters of the game. I will try my very best to make the game portion (so anything after sign ups are closed) last 39 days, though I'll let tribal council arguments last longer, and if timing isn't working out in the game I reserve the right to adjust the game's length. I anticipate each "challenge" phase lasting 1-4 days so scheduling matches on time is very important. There will never be a challenge that HAS to be finished in a maximum of 1 or 2 days, but I do expect some challenges finishing early. Challenges will only last longer than 4 days under very specific conditions in order to keep pace with the game schedule. Furthermore, challenges themselves are specifically designed to be finished quickly, meaning multi-round challenges will likely not happen until only a few players remain in the game. You may squeak by in the game if you miss a challenge or two (early challenges may leave space for people busy at that particular time to take a breather), but if you anticipate missing more than that then you probably shouldn't sign up. There will be twists in the game that will occur at unknown intervals, but they will be designed so that every player has a "reasonable" amount of time to respond. If you log in and talk to your tribe and alliance at least once a day for 30+ minutes, then things should be fine and you should be in good shape. Missing a day here or there is probably fine, but the more you miss, the harder it will be to win.

To sign up, you must reply stating that you have read the rules and by stating some sort of variation of "in" within the thread. Saying "in" without saying you have read the rules will make you ineligible to play. Additionally, you must complete a very brief casting questionnaire, found directly below. Only send answers to me via Smogon or Discord PM; do not post answers in this thread. Answers to the questions will determine a) who makes it into the season if there's too many people that sign up and b) will potentially help sort out the original tribes.

1) Are you someone who is normally confident with your gut, initial reaction or do you doubt your first decisions frequently? Explain as applicable.

2) What is your "secret weapon" that will give you an edge in the game over the other players?

3) How familiar are you with CAP and/or the CAP metagame? The LC metagame? Past Gens? Do you think you will be a good asset to your tribe in CAP related battles?

4) Do you consider yourself to have quick problem solving and the ability to do well with puzzles and riddles? If so, explain a little bit to show how.

5) What is your basic gameplan for success going into the game?

6) Are you willing to regularly share your private thoughts regarding the game with the hosts?
Sign ups will last until idk Monday or Tuesday based on how fast things went in the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)