CAP Team Alpha- Running the First Lap (RMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first CAP project on Smogon turned out to be with Kitsunoh. I enjoyed making Kit, and got into the playtesting almost right away. I immediately noticed a large amount of teams with at least 1 or 2 steel types, mainly Magnezone. I decided to make a team to beat out these steels. While playing with this team, although it was for a short while, I barely squeaked out wins against well-known Smogon users, such as Magmortified. I now present this team, which is probably the most horrible piece of junk you'll find.

As you can probably guess from my intro, this team slams steels to the ground through Azelf, who also is my primary late-gamer. Kitsunoh scouts around and revenge kills, and either Suicune or Tyranitar comes in for a nice clean-up.

Now, let's get on to the team, shall we?

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash *Aerocraptyl*
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 6 HP

Stealth Rock
Taunt
Earthquake
Rock Slide

This guy has about a 90% chance of appearing on my teams, and always as a lead. This is because he almost never fails at getting SR up (unless DK decides to ruin my party with ScarfTaunt) Stealth Rock brings in entry hazards, Taunt is mainly for Azelf, Bronzong, and Celebi, and also worked in screwing up BP chains. Quake Slide provides great coverage, especially in CAP.

Suicune @ Leftovers *Dragonforce*
Timid Nature
172 HP/ 120 Spa/ 216 Spe

Calm Mind
Surf
Ice Beam
HP Electric

One of my late-game sweepers, Suicune makes a great asset to this team. The EV spread makes Suicune bulky, as well as maintaining great offensive capabilities. Suicune is also sometimes used as a early-game blaster, mainly because I can find many oppurtunities for him to switch in and set up. Surf is the obligatory STAB, while the Boltbeam combo makes an appearance to slam Gyara and the Dragons.

Kitsunoh @ Choice Scarf *KITT*
Adamant Nature- Limber
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 6 HP

U-Turn
Earthquake
ShadowStrike
Ice Punch

Gogogo Turbokit! Turbokit (My personal nickname for Scarfed Kitsunoh) has the capability to finish late game with U-Turn because of the large amount of Celebis and Tyranitars running around. He also scouts with U-Turn throughout the battle. Earthquake hits Metagross and Heatran on the switch, Ice Punch slams Salamence, and ShadowStrike makes a nice STAB, as well as lower Defense half of the time.

Blissey @ Leftovers *Your Dad*
Calm Nature
80 HP/ 252 Def/ 176 Sp. Def

Aromatherapy
Seismic Toss
Softboiled
Thunderwave

My team was getting hurt a lot by status, so I added Blissey for cleric purposes. Aroma solves my status weak, Seismic Toss hits everything bar Ghosts, who don't like Thunderwave bar Limber Kitsunoh, who Bliss should be fleeing from anyways. Softboiled for recovery.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band *Deathwish*
Adamant Nature
252 Atk/ 80 Spe/ 176 HP

Crunch
Aqua Tail/Fire Punch
Stone Edge
Pursuit

CB Tar can tear through weakened teams with his monstrous 604 Attack. Stone Edge slams everything that isn't a Rock Resist, Aqua Tail hits Hippowdon and Gliscor, Crunch provides a strong secondary STAB, and Pursuit hits fleeing Pokemon. I'm going to test out Fire Punch and see how well that helps with Scizor.

Azelf @ Life Orb *Destruction*
Timid Nature
252 Spa/ 252 Spe/ 6 HP

Nasty Plot
Energy Ball
Flamethrower
Psychic

This guy is the main driving force behind my team, and has been the main reason I won quite a bit during the little time I battled. Flamethrower rips through all Steel types not named Heatran, and kills all non-Turbokits. Energy Ball does quite a number to Vaporeon, and has more power than Grass knot against Vappy, which is why I chose it>> Grass Knot. Psychic provides a strong STAB off of 125 base Special attack, and can OHKO Salamence with SR up.

Well, that's the whole team. Since I'm retiring it in lieu of the upcoming CAP tourney, you guys can rip into it all you want.

Blissey @ Leftovers *Your Dad*
Calm Nature
200 HP/ 252 Def/ 52 Def

Aromatherapy
Seismic Toss
Softboiled
Thunderwave

My team was getting hurt a lot by status, so I added Blissey for cleric purposes. The EVs grant me 701 HP, which means it will take 7 Seismic Tosses or Night Shades to kill me. Aroma solves my status weak, Seismic Toss hits everything bar Ghosts, who don't like Thunderwave bar Limber Kitsunoh, who Bliss should be fleeing from anyways. Softboiled for recovery.
That's rather a lot of Defense EVs, isn't it? Also, you do realize that Blissey is immune to Night Shade and has Leftovers to allow it to take way more Seismic Tosses?

Also, due to a lack of "Fire"power on your team, the omni-present Scizor may be a problem. Of your whole team, only Suicune can really stop it. (Yes, I know Kitsunoh resists it's moves, but if Scizor has Roost, it can set up in Kitsunoh's face.) For this, I would recommend trying out Fire Punch on Tyranitar especially because Scizor love to switch into Tyranitar. You could replace either Aqua Tail or Crunch.

That's rather a lot of Defense EVs, isn't it? Also, you do realize that Blissey is immune to Night Shade and has Leftovers to allow it to take way more Seismic Tosses?

Also, due to a lack of "Fire"power on your team, the omni-present Scizor may be a problem. Of your whole team, only Suicune can really stop it. (Yes, I know Kitsunoh resists it's moves, but if Scizor has Roost, it can set up in Kitsunoh's face.) For this, I would recommend trying out Fire Punch on Tyranitar especially because Scizor love to switch into Tyranitar. You could replace either Aqua Tail or Crunch.
Oops, 52 of those are meant for Sp. Def. GAWD I HATE IT WHEN I TYPO

Scizor really hasn't been much of a problem, since Suicune can use it as setup fodder most of the time. I'll look into Fire Punch on Tar, however.

A Blissey with that much defense screams "Give me counter!". The set I use is amazing. Perfect for taking out those pesky "wall-breakers" scissor included.

Bold-Blissey@ Leftovers
252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 Spe

- Counter
- Seimic Toss
- Soft Boiled / Wish
- Aromatherapy

Is there any reason you're using both Earthquake and Superpower on Kitsunoh? The coverage they have is redundant, and not using Meteor Mash on ANY Kitsunoh is sort of taboo. Replace one of them (preferably Earthquake) with Meteor Mash. I dislike Azelf due to the massive amount of priority floating around, but if it really pleases you, go ahead.

I agree with Superpower/earthquake, but meteor mash? Nuh-uh. Go with a punch instead. I know it is silly that I don't remember if it learns it, but if Kit knows Fire Punch that might be beneficial, as Scizor seems troublesome to this team, seeing as Suicune is the only pokemon that can reliably take a hit from it, let alone do something do it.

Is there any reason you're using both Earthquake and Superpower on Kitsunoh? The coverage they have is redundant, and not using Meteor Mash on ANY Kitsunoh is sort of taboo. Replace one of them (preferably Earthquake) with Meteor Mash. I dislike Azelf due to the massive amount of priority floating around, but if it really pleases you, go ahead.
No offense to you, Valantaro, but if you've tested them, you'd know that there is NO effective Kitsunoh set that runs Meteor Mash. In my opinion, you should disregard this suggestion and go with Ice Punch over Earthquake.

@taicho- Ok, I definitely do not want a Counter Bliss. Most Standard Bliss run max Defense, no?

To everyone else...

I'll agree to drop Superpower, but not EQ. The main reason is that EQ is my forte against other Kitts and Metagross. I'll take out Superpower for Ice Punch though. THanks for the help!

I'll agree to drop Superpower, but not EQ. The main reason is that EQ is my forte against other Kitts and Metagross. I'll take out Superpower for Ice Punch though. THanks for the help!
That's fine, nobody asked you to drop both. They're just kind of pointless to have together on the same set. Ice Punch for Superpower is a fine decision.

@taicho- Ok, I definitely do not want a Counter Bliss. Most Standard Bliss run max Defense, no?
Most run Max Defense yes, but most don't run with nearly as much HP as you have. In fact more than half of the sets listed on the Strategy Dex have no HP investment at all. With her already massive Base HP stat it's just not necessary unless you are looking for a surprise factor, which counterbliss has huge surprise factor. It'll take anything short of Close Combat and OHKO the opposing Physical attacker.

Most run Max Defense yes, but most don't run with nearly as much HP as you have. In fact more than half of the sets listed on the Strategy Dex have no HP investment at all. With her already massive Base HP stat it's just not necessary unless you are looking for a surprise factor, which counterbliss has huge surprise factor. It'll take anything short of Close Combat and OHKO the opposing Physical attacker.
The set I usually run is 252 Def/ 180 HP/ 76 SpD. I actually like the fact that get 700 HP from the current EVs. Actually, I get 701, so I might change to 196 HP/ 56 SpD.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Special Defense will benefit Blissey far more than HP ever will due to her gargantuan base HP stat. The difference between 700 HP and 651 HP is minimal, but the difference between 346 and 405 is pretty huge when it ocmes to taking special hits.

My arguement is that you already have something that does great job at taking special hits. After a few calm minds Suicune is as good, if not better, than blissey, what with having a chance to actually do some damage. What you have trouble with, more than status, is keeping your team alive. 4 of the 6 pokemon in your team are quite frail. Kitsunoh is demolished by Scarfnape, Azelf is just waiting to be OHKOed by Scizor's Bullet Punch. With Kitsunohs everywhere favoring superpower, and everything and it's brother carrying EQ to counter said Kitsunoh Tyranitar is bait. What you really need is either a balanced defensive pokemon that can heal (Latais perhaps?) or a surprise to rid your team of nasty sweeping pokemon. Also you in grave need of a rapin spinner, what with SR on every team now a days.

I don't agree that he really needs a Spinner. While Stealth Rock is on every team, his opponents will have a hard time setting it up against Aerodactyl's Taunt, and aside from Aero, his team isn't particularly Rock-weak.

I don't agree that he really needs a Spinner. While Stealth Rock is on every team, his opponents will have a hard time setting it up against Aerodactyl's Taunt, and aside from Aero, his team isn't particularly Rock-weak.
Wow I actually meant to delete that part before posting it ^_^. Having dial up makes you forget things...

I'll tweak around Bliss's EVs. As for the frailty of this team, I haven't found too much problems, since this team uses quite a bit of prediction, and Turbokitt is U-Turning left and right for scouting oppurtunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)