CAP1 - Part 14.5 - (Pre-Evo Sprite Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once intended to make a sprite, but decided to quit. It was far too large and I still need more scratching practice.

I REALLY like these sprites, especially the arms, and the facial expression.
The cuteness is on par with Shinx's Platinum Sprite, the body is done nicely, and I only have one real problem with it. ...The feet. It's not so much as them by themselves, as much as it is the pose- that they are "flat" like that. Both the front and the back have this flat line on the bottom of it that makes it look like it's on a horizon. It's not as noticibly off when you look at the sprite by itself, but when you see it alongside other sprites, it stands out. Though still odd, it's justifiable on the front sprite, but on the back it makes it look like the left leg is "pushed" down slightly, or that it's right leg is raised. (...Or that it's standing on a uneven surface.) Generally the right leg is a little lower then the other on the front sprite, even if just by one pixel. Take these sprites for example:

I feel it'd just look so much better if it wasn't so rigidly straight on the bottom.
I like these sprites a lot and hope to see them made the best they can be.

Oh yeah, a more general statement to everyone; Just throwing this out there, if you guys want, even though their natural color schemes are the same, you don't have to use the same shiny. Even Pokemon with the exact same color scheme can have different shiny colors. Example:

Ok, this is what I have so far!
Front:

Back:

I'm stuck between the shiny colours. I want to do the grey for the feathers, but I don't know if I should change the skin colour. I'd love some input (:
Front:

Back:

My grand return

Well, making the sprite for Tomohawk didn't go so great for me

But I'm back, and I have learned a lot from last time

Sorry it's a bit late but it's because my computer got a virus over the weekend (plus I had a lot of school work) and I wanted it in colour for this post

Without further a do

Now I do realize that it is a little big, so I should have a resize done soon

Other then that I got nothing

C&C Please

@steampowered: nice. the head seems a little off, like it doesn't quite fit the size of the rest of the body. Might just be me. Also, it kind of looks like he's got that one eyebrow raised. might try lowering it a bit.

Wait what they make a pawprint? Awesome

Darkhuaza why not you post it. :) Whatever you do, at least we can help you improve your skills and stuff.
m190049 when it comes to making profound observations, you don't disappoint me. And so I worked on it...

Compare. I'm not sure if I like it, but if you say so v('-')v
EDIT: For others' reference, the 8 sprites on the left are the ones with higher foot pixels, I'll be using them, opinions on this set please.
ANYWAY
Attract: Excellent!
Nitpicks - The eye on the right is looking at the wrong direction, while the other one looks...screwed up. It's kinda hard to explain that one.
I also just noticed - the arm on our right should be a tad bit higher.
Backsprites - I have nothing against them. Love the pose too.
Shinies - Is it possible to pick a colour scheme between those two? One's too gloomy and the other one's glaring. Lovin' the grey though, or whatever you call it, I'm half-colorblind :D
Steampowered: Looking good, looking good. Once you shrink that, you might want to let the pupils face the correct direction (bottom-left, or at least straight to the front like DarthVader's Tomo). The fingers and feet are a bit off, though...I can't really explain how. I think you can refer to this fella's feet for the shape:

That's all folks, toodles!

@ICC
Shows how much of a difference a few pixels can make- the back looks much better in my opinion.
Personally, I still think the front would look a better as well if you also adjusted it, like the Axew you just posted is.
Especially because it'd help make the front and back sprites match more closely and such.
But, if you'd really rather not, I'd say you're just about done with this thing.

Ah, alright. Thank you so much.
I tried the thing with the front sprites, but then it looked like it was raising its foot more than anything, so I forgot about it. Hope you don't mind =)
Now waiting for others' thoughts - if they're fine, then I'll make that my présentation finale.

EDIT TO STEAMPOWERED DOWN THERE:
First of all, thank you for calling me Ice
I like it better than ICC
though it doesn't really matter (;
You know what, I actually agree with you about the monkey, and a whole lot.
So why did I do it? Because it means respecting the original artist's concepts, and it sets my sprites apart from others'.
Cheers :)
~:toast:~

@Ice

holy crap! you already finished backsprites and shinies! and they look amazing

the only comment I have is I'm not sure if the brown feathers on mini-tomo's head should go all the way up the back of the head
it kind of makes him look like a monkey
but thats just my opinion

p.s. thens for the help you gave me with the legs
I should have the new ones up soon

@Ice (not ICC =D)

I like the offset feet on the backsprite much better. Definitely go with them. Nothing else to nitpick or be pedantic about, which is odd for me. So, onward to the Final Submission, Ice. You have my vote

Final Submission

*Folds arms*
*Puts on shades*
présentation finale (Final Submission)

The Pose? To make it look more like DarthVader317's sprite.
The Gender Difference? DV's sprites have gender differences. So, you know, females don't look as good with a mohawk. Oh, in Pokemon, gender differences in an evo line are not necessarily the same. Pikachu/Raichu, Wooper/Quagsire, Meditite/Medicham, Bidoof/Bibarel, Kricketot/Kricketune...and more. Point proven, I guess.
The Shiny Colors? DV's shiny colors. Bonus points for being a fitting baby blue on this cute lil' prevo! Some say that two-stage evo-line Pokemon never have the same shiny colors as their evo, but no, check out Blitzle/Zebstrika, Dwebble/Crustle (the shell), Foongus/Amoonguss (the blue part anyway).
Hair on the back of the head? It's not in the concept art, but Original Artist paintseagull said it was what she intended. While she gave us 'artistic license', I'm still sticking to the Artist's personal concept.
Which part brings out Scrappy/Prankster? Well, no part. First of all, Scrappy isn't something you have to bring out (Miltank and Taillow have Scrappy, can you see any similar traits?). Prankster...well, it's got a smirk. It doesn't have to be brought out anyway, since a thing like Cottonee has Prankster.

Yep, that's it, good luck to all the others! =)

Steam v 2.0

well i'm back like I said I would be

I changed any problems that i had before so it is better then ever

To start things off i made the background transparent. Next I made the thing quite a bit smaller. I changed the legs to a better version. I changed the fingers as well. I softened up the outline so that it's not so sharp and black. I changed the eyes so that they face downwards a bit more. And finally I made the body more in proportion.
The body was kind of weird cuz the smaller and more egg-like I made it, the better it looked. Which is weird because pre-evo has a large body.

Anyways hope you like it

C&C please

p.s. @Ice, I don't think that removing the brown area from the back of the head is going against what the artist has already done. Because there is no actual picture of the back of the head, we don't know what it actually looks like, so we don't know if it would be yellow or brown

Steampowered: ...To be honest, it really isn't that hard to get an imagehosting site account. If you're concerned, I would recommend just re-uploading them to another image host.

I use a random free hosting site I know called majhost. I like it-there's no auto-delete after a certain period of time, and it's fairly simple. Not very flashy, but I find it to be useful. Not many people know about it.

Steampowered: ...To be honest, it really isn't that hard to get an imagehosting site account. If you're concerned, I would recommend just re-uploading them to another image host.

I use a random free hosting site I know called majhost. I like it-there's no auto-delete after a certain period of time, and it's fairly simple. Not very flashy, but I find it to be useful. Not many people know about it.
@Tortferngatr... I store my images on a blog on blogger, I'm not looking for a site to host my images, I already have a good way to do that.
I simply wanted to know why smogon shrinks the pixels in each image that anyone posts. The slightly larger original versions look far better on all of our sprites then the shrunk version.
For example, when I look my image of CAP's pre-evo in a post I make in a Smogon forum, I can barely see small tooth in the side of his mouth.
But if I go and look at my original image on the original site I posted it on, it appears bigger and the tooth is clearly visible

I don't know why this happens, and because sprites are so mall this can mess up how they look to the voter

Anyways, I thank you for you suggestion
-Steam

wow, I'm already onto backsprites

(hope they get good feedback) @Ice I want to give you a good challenge this time (unlike in the Tomohawk sprite poll where I came in dead last)

C&C please (and please view full size)

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Steampowered: When I look at your sprite full size it looks exactly the same. Do you have the zoom changed? If you ever zoomed in or out on this webpage then your browser might have remembered that. Try resetting the zoom (in Firefox it's View>Zoom)

Ice: Awesome.
Oh and to be clear I mentioned that the fur on the back of the head was what I originally thought of, but it's up to the spriter to go with what they think looks best on their sprite.

Here is some more work on my sprite. Need to stop looking at it for a while.

aand yes I am a girl, please note the pink wingull :)

Steampowered: When I look at your sprite full size it looks exactly the same. Do you have the zoom changed? If you ever zoomed in or out on this webpage then your browser might have remembered that. Try resetting the zoom (in Firefox it's View>Zoom)

Ice: Awesome.
Oh and to be clear I mentioned that the fur on the back of the head was what I originally thought of, but it's up to the spriter to go with what they think looks best on their sprite.

Here is some more work on my sprite. Need to stop looking at it for a while.

aand yes I am a girl, please note the pink wingull :)
WOW...

my zoom was off terribly

sry everyone
and thanks Paintseagull for bringing this to my attention

Many thanks for the nice comments! :heart:

paintseagull, so you're a she? Sorry ._. Statement in final submission correct'd
Your sprite is going good. The egg shape of the body is well done (but of course!), and the tail is the best we have so far.
1. Though the foot on our right has a very sharp...bend on it. I'm not sure how to describe what to do o_o I suck at C+C :(
2. The arms are angled a bit awkwardly - try to make them the same angle.
3. The cheeks might need some fattening to boost cuteness (see steampowered).
4. See Steam's eyes for more suitable eyes.
It's a lot of work I know I'm pretty demanding :| so...it's up to you!
Oh yeah, I just thought I'd stick to the head fur, since it's the artist's intention. It doesn't look super great but it helps my sprites stick out.

Steampowered: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED You weren't last, I think it was Mektar.
The front sprite is great! The head shape and eyes especially. On to the...nitpicks!
1. The arm on our right really needs to be higher by a pixel or two.
2. The foot claws on our right should look more like paintseagull's - they're pointing out at a pretty odd angle.
3. The foot on our left should just be one straight line at the bottom. It kinda looks like it's tapping the foot 0_o
4. Backsprite - all in fine shape, except...where did the other arm go?

Also:

Steam's is acceptable but paint you might wanna size that down a bit more. Sorry...
~:toast:~

O.K. so here's where I'm at right now

Well a few things
Firstly, @Ice... I did everything you told me to do. I changed the claws, added a back arm (how did I miss that?), flattened the back foot and made the arm slightly higher. Thanks for all the feedback.

Next up is that I did a shiny. I really wanted to do a black shiny, or an umbreon coloured black and yellow shiny. Tell me what you think.

Next, if you haven't already noticed, the front normal sprite on the right has no tooth sticking out of it's mouth. Tell me if you think it looks better withor without the tooth

Finally
@paintseagull I agree with Ice in making your sprite smaller and putting white around the actual irises on the eyes... I also think that the nose is a little big, you might want to shrink it
and
Attract A few things, firstly I really like your sprite but it needs some more shading and shadows (but that may just be me). Secondly the chest feathers look to small in proportion to pre-evo so you should probably make them bigger. Finally the right hand looks odd. It looks to human-like and is a little high in comparison to the other arm

I hope this advice helps

C&C please

Attract, that sprite is adorable!! You totally nailed the eyes, and it appears different enough from the other entries that I think it's great. Good job!

Steampowered, your front sprite has weird eyes and the proportions are off a bit elsewhere too. The arms are a bit thick, the fingers seem clumsy, and the tail is awkwardly positioned given where it's butt is and its angle. The back sprite is much better, but I think the arms and head positioning still looks wonky.

Personally, I think paint's sprite is sized fine. Lots of Pokemon get physically bigger but are roughly the same size as their pre-evos in sprite-space. Check out Gible evolving to Gabite! Gible's as wide as Gabite, and nearly as tall! Seriously, check it out:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)