Celebi

Seeing as no-one has a thread for this yet...

Celebi
Type: Grass/Psychic
Ability: Natural Cure
Base Stats: 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100

Celebi is one of the 4 600 BST pixies to have show up in UU this gen, and easily one of the most versatile. The sheer power of V-Create and mediocrity in any other role make Victini unable to do anything but wallbreak, while Mew and Shaymin suffer the curse of monotyping. However Celebi gets a handy dual typing and a large enough movepool to be both an offensive and defensive threat with it's well-rounded stats.

Notable moves:
Leaf Storm, Psychic, Earth Power, Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Recover, Heal Bell, Perish Song, Calm Mind, Light Screen, Reflect, Thunder Wave, Swords Dance, U-turn, Trick Room, Nasty Plot, Stealth Rock, Trick

Some possible sets...

NP Sweeper (Celebi) @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain / Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Earth Power / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]

Defensive (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Recover
- Thunder Wave / Leech Seed / Heal Bell
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power / Hidden Power [Ice]

Offensive Support (Celebi) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Recover / Earth Power

Choice Scarf (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
- Trick

Calm Mind (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain / Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Grass Knot
- Earth Power / Psychic

SubSeed (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Baton Pass / Recover / Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Earth Power
- Grass Knot

Baton Pass (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Psychic / Earth Power / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]

Copied from the Gen IV OU database, with some spreads and moves changed. Wasn't sure how much speed to run on the Bold/Modest sets, so I just went with 8 for outrunning other defensive base 100s.

As for the BP set, I've tried to make it emphasise Celebi's merits over Mew: those being pseudo-immunity to status, more resistances to switch into, less fear of being Taunted since it actually runs attacks, and more survivability with Giga Drain. Hence why I haven't included Swords Dance, as physical options are limited and I would either have to give up having a healing move for coverage or become complete Taunt bait (Being locked into a Grass move is about as pathetic as Struggle).

Discuss?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you really need that massive picture? Any way, this set is really cool:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Leech Seed
- Psychic

Depending on your opponent, you can either use Sub + Leech Seed to stall them out, or use Sub + Calm Mind for a sweep. Celebi can create 101 HP Subs, which just trash Chansey and friends to hell and back. Only Shiftry and Cacturne wall this set completely.

It's sort of unfortunate that Celebi doesn't have Psyshock, as the SubSeed set above would pretty much get through everything at +6...

As to the Shiftry and Cacturne problem, it's sort of good that Hitmontop wrecks their shit by Mach Punch spamming.

I like using a set with TWave, Leech Seed, UTurn and Leaf Storm. Disable their Celebi counter, Seed something and UTurn out, its highly annoying to say the least.
Of course, with Heracross running about...

I've been finding Celebi doesn't quite have the same impact in UU as it did in OU, theres alot more stuff that seems to wreck it or simply don't mind what it can throw out besides the obvious Cacturne or Shiftry. BP/NP versions are still highly annoying and fairly dangerous though, its probably more a side effect of Drought being the dominant playstyle along with Hail that makes running a Celebi a huge risk in itself.

I can honestly say that NP giga drain celebi has brought me back from 1-5 to 1-0. It rapes face, at a respectable base 100 speed, and The ability to easily out-stall premier special wall Chansey that don't run toxic is phenomenal. It just refuses to die once you have the nasty plot boost. Granted, Bi in general is a little over shadowed by the prevalence of sun, but that's not a huge problem. It can really run so many sets effectively, it kind of seems like a mini-mew. Just with less coverage. and no taunt or wow...but still it's a great poke, and I predict top tier status until BL swallows it up.

NP Celebi wrecks, and it can take out Kyurem fairly easily at +2 with Psychic, which is pretty much an OHKO, and it tears holes in a lot of other things to at the very least.

Timid Celebi at +6 (aka only 3 Nasty Plots) 2HKOs Blissey with Psychic. And that's with Leftovers.

Just thought I would toss that out there. Nasty Plot Celebi is definitely an incredibly potent sweeper and one many players underestimate in my extensive use of it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Chansey is Bulkier than Blissey, so it probably wouldn't 2HKO Chansey, and probably just Toxicstall it out :3

Wouldn't HP Fire generally be the preferred option over the likes of HP Ice on something like the NP set? There's a lot of Sun in UU, and a lot of abusers are Grass-types, who get their (gr)ass kicked by sun-boosted HP Fire.

I love NP Celebi. I've been running Yache Berry though because the loss of power isn't too bad imo and Weavile is a prick.

Yache works because Ice Punch has the highest BP of all the moves Weavile can hit you with and they're not going to expect the resist berry, so they'll use it. Hasn't failed once yet in about 10 tries.

I love using the NP set with Zoroark. Celebi could BP the NP boosts to Zoroark, before the opponent pieces together that its celebi.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I really feel like Celebi isn't going to be good in UU until sun is gone. That being said, I used Tinkerbell in PO UU and it worked like a charm. Celebi has a lot of potential, it just can't reach it yet due to Sun and Hail being the dominate play styles. Once Kyurem and Vulpix are gone though, Celebi will probably be at least a top 15 poke, if not better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)