Celesteela (Singles) (QC 2/3)

[OVERVIEW]

*Celesteel has a great all around bulk, with a fantastic typing sporting resistances to common types such as Flying, Fairy, Dragon, and even an immunity to Ground.
*Leech Seed gives it semi-reliable recovery, allowing to stay healthy throughout most of the game.
*It has a very strong STAB in Heavy Slam, which is almost always 120 base power, which allows to have a nice offensive presence. This is a very unique and valuable trait for such a defensive pokemon.
-decent speed for a bulky mon, makes it better against other bulky mons to leech seed stall them
-beast boost is cool, allows it to get increasingly bulkier or faster after kill, and with powerful heavy slams getting kills isn't too difficult a task.
-celesteela's stats are so balanced that it forces it to specialize, You can go physically defensive, but then become more vulnerable to special attackers, or you can invest in Speed but become more vulnerable to sweepers like Mimikyu who can take you out with less chip damage. Although its stats are fantastic you'll have to choose where exactly you want it to excel the most.
-once pokebank is released there will be a few more threats to celesteela such as Heatran and Thundurus, but celesteela's typing and utility will still probably be very valuable against a majority of the meta

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Heavy Slam
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Flamethrower / Earthquake / Substitute / Protect
move 4: Substitute / Protect
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
ability: Beast Boost
nature: Relaxed / Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-heavy slam SO STRONG
-seeds for healin
-flamethrower hits other steel types such as aegi, metagross, scizor, and opposing celesteela
-earthquake hits steels such as magnezone, which can be hard to deal with because of magnet pull, while also hitting tapu koko and alolan marowak switchins, but is worse vs opposing celesteela
-substitute can be used to subseed stall, which is especially good vs most defensive pokemon such as porygon2 and chansey
-protect to gain more recovery from seeds without taking damage, helps avoids some 2hkos/3hkos

Set Details
========

-phys def helps deal with things such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, and Mamoswine.
-leftovers allows celest to heal a lot over time combined with seeds and protct stalling
-rocky helmet deals more chimp damage to pokemon such as Mega Salamence and Pheromosa
-beast boost can make celesteela increasingly bulky after each kill, which can be devastating to teams with a lot of physical attackers.
-an alternative spread of 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a jolly nature can be used when running substitute. this is really good in the celesteela mirror and allows you to outspeed even the fastest aegislash which celesteela can lose to otherwise if its a substitute variant, and can seedstall basically anything else slower than it. also gets a beast boost in speed after every KO to become increasingly annoying
-other alternative spreads you can use are 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe or 252 HP / 52 Defense / 204 Spe, both with Impish nature, these ensure celesteela still has a good amount of physical bulk and the former outspeeds up to admant max speed marowak and the ladder outspeeds up to jolly max speed marowak. these are especially good on sets with EQ so you can 2hko marowak as it switches in.
-lastly, an alternative spread with max spdef and a sassy/careful nature can be used. its a nice aegislash and tapu lele switch-in, its guaranteed to avoid a 2hko from a Choice Specs Psychic from Tapu Lele

Usage Tips
========

-works well as a switch-in to many common pokemon such as Garchomp, Mamoswine, and Mega Salemence
-when celesteela is in a safe position go for leech seed to start getting a lot of recovery
-once seeds are up be sure to utilize celesteela's powerful heavy slams to pick up some KOs
-dont be afraid to leech seed twice if you expect your opponent to switch out, keeping leech seeds up puts celesteela in a very good position so catching their switch-ins with leech seed is very important to hold some momentum
-when running sub, use it to stall vs defensive pokes or mons that cant break your sub, this will give you lots of turns to stall and get a lot of residual damage against the opposing pokemon

Team Options
========

-Alolan Marowak can safely switch into tapu koko and other electric-types and fire-types for celesteela, while celesteela can deal with ground-types such as Garchomp and Mamoswine for Marowak.
-ground-types such as Garchomp and Mamoswine can switch into electric-types for Celesteela, such as Tapu Koko and Xurkitree.
-sweepers such as mega gyarados and mega salamence appreciate celesteela's ability to weaken walls such as p2, making it easier for them to sweep late game. mega gyarados can also find opportunities to set up switching into marowak-a for celesteela, as it resists both of marowak's STABs
-Tapu Koko appreciates celesteela's ability to switch into Ground-types such as Garchomp and Mamoswine
-mega gengar appreciates celesteela's ability to switch into scarf tapu lele, and can also deal with opposing celesteela with wisp and hex so your own celesteela doesn't have to deal with the mirror match
-pheromosa is a nice offensive teammate able to OHKO many threats to celesteela with HJK such as Xurkitree, Magnezone and Mega Gyarados which Phermosa can outspeed even when gyarados is at +1

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-offensive, can run atk investment to hit really hard with heavy slam and some other nice attacks such as flamethrower, earthquake, energy ball, and air slash.
-autotomize, makes celesteela a threatening sweeper, especially after some beast boosts in atk, though it does synergize poorly with heavy slam celesteela weighs so much it doesn't really matter, and it can also run special attacks with autotomize with two good STABs in air slash and flash cannon. this set can also run weakness policy thanks to its good bulk and with +2 boosts to its speed and offenses it becomes very threatening
-if magnet pull magnezone if giving you problems you can try shed shell to ensure you can switch out from it. and it's also useful vs mega gengar
-toxic is hard to fit into celesteela's moveset but will wear down bulkier pokemon faster, such as p2 and arcanine. and ensures they can't simply switch around to avoid being worn down by leech seed
-assault vest, tank hits from special attackers like tapu lele and aegislash while being able to invest in offenses to deal solid damage

Checks and Counters
===================

**Tapu Koko**: threatens celest with super effective STAB boosted by electric terrain, however cant switch in very reliable as it can only take one heavy slam

**Alolan Marowak**: hits hard with flare blitz, can flame charge to hit before subs

**Mega Gyarados**: can set up subs on seeds/heavy slam and proceed to DD

**Xurkitree**: xurkitree threatens celesteela with super effective STAB and when against celesteela it has a good opportunity to set up with z-hypnosis/tail glow.

**Mega Gengar**: has to be careful switching in but can wisp celesteela to limit its recovery a bit and weaken heavy slam. hex will also be able to pick up a 2HKO after burn against most celesteela

**Arcanine**: arcanine doesn't like leech seed but isnt 2hko'd by any of celesteela's attack and can recover to stay healthy. it can also take celesteela out with flamethrower and burn up.

**Post-Pokebank Threats**: Once pokebank is released there will many more threats to Celesteela, including an influx of Fire-types. Mega-Charizard Y and Rotom-H are especially threatening as they can switch into any common move from Celesteela easily and attack with super effective STAB.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Time to check! My comments are in bold.

[OVERVIEW]

-great typing, really bulky as well
-leech seed gives it semi reliable recovery which also functions as a way to deal consistent damage each turn
-heavy slam thats almost always 120bp, coupled with solid 101 atk means even with no investment celest is able to dish out good amounts of damage
-decent speed for a bulky mon, makes it better against other bulky mons to leech seed stall them
-beast boost is cool, allows it to get increasingly bulkier or faster after kill, and with powerful heavy slams getting kills isn't too difficult a task.
-once pokebank is released there will be a few more threats to celesteela such as Heatran and Thundurus, but celesteela's typing and utility will still probably be very valuable against a majority of the meta
-A potential flaw I'd mention is that Celesteela's stats, while good, are so balanced that it forces it to specalize. So like, if you go physically defensive, it becomes vulnerable to a lot more special attackers, or if you invest in Speed, sweepers like Mimikyu can take you out with less chip damage.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Heavy Slam
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Flamethrower / Earthquake / Substitute
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
nature: Relaxed / Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-heavy slam SO STRONG
-seeds for healin
-flamethrower hits other steel types such as aegi, metagross, and opposing celesteela
-earthquake also hits steels while also hitting tapu koko and alolan marowak switchins, but is worse vs opposing celesteela
I'd mention that it slams Magnezone harder too, which is important because Celesteela has caused a surge of Magnet Pull Magnezones running around.
-substitute can be used to subseed stall, which is especially good vs most defensive pokemon such as porygon2 and chansey
-protect to gain more recovery from seeds without taking damage, helps avoids some 2hkos/3hkos

Set Details
========

-phys def helps deal with things such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, and Mamoswine.
-leftovers allows celest to heal a lot over time combined with seeds and protct stalling
-rocky helmet deals more chimp damage to pokemon such as Mega Salamence and Pheromosa
-beast boost can make celesteela increasingly bulky after each kill, which can be devastating to teams with a lot of physical attackers.
-an alternative spread of 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a jolly nature can be used when running substittute. this is really good in the celesteela mirror, and can seedstall basically anything slower than it. also gets a beast boost in speed after every KO to become increasingly annoying Might want to also mention that this guarantees that you outspeed even the fastest Aegislash, which is awesome against Substitute ones that may try to avoid the Leech Seed, since Subseed Celesteela loses to that if its slower.

Since I mentioned that there's been a speeds arms race between Celesteela, Aegislash, and Marowak-A going around, here's a spread I think I've been seeing on cart: Impish with 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe. This lets you outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Marowak-A while still getting a Defense boost from Beast Boost. Now granted, unlike Sub Toxic Aegislash, I don't think this should be the main spread since you have to hit Marowak-A on the switch with Earthquake for this to make much sense, since a lot of them run Flame Charge for Subseeders. Still, I think its worth mentioning at least!

As for Jolly Marowak, I mean you could outspeed that with a spread of 252 HP / 52 Defense / 204 Spe Impish to still get the Defense boost (also neat that 52 Def EVs is a bonus point), but idk if we want to go that far yet.

Usage Tips
========

-works well as a switch-in to many common pokemon such as Garchomp, Mamoswine, and Mega Salemence
-when celesteela is in a safe position go for leech seed to start getting a lot of recovery
-once seeds are up be sure to utilize celesteela's powerful heavy slams to pick up some KOs
-dont be afraid to leech seed twice if you expect your opponent to switch out, keeping leech seeds up puts celesteela in a very good position so catching their switch-ins with leech seed is very important to hold some momentum
-when running sub, use it to stall vs defensive pokes or mons that cant break your sub, this will give you lots of turns to stall and get a lot of residual damage against the opposing pokemon

Team Options
========

-Alolan Marowak can safely switch into tapu koko and other electric-types and fire-types for celesteela, while celesteela can deal with ground-types such as Garchomp and Mamoswine for Marowak.
-ground-types such as Garchomp and Mamoswine can switch into electric-types for Celesteela, such as Tapu Koko and Xurkitree.
-sweepers such as mega gyarados and mega salamence appreciate celesteela's ability to weaken walls such as p2, making it easier for them to sweep late game Might want to mention that Mega Gyarados in particular is a good offensive switch-in to Alolan Marowak because it resists its STABs, which is awesome.
-Tapu Koko appreciates celesteela's ability to switch into Ground-types such as Garchomp and Mamoswine
-mega gengar appreciates celesteela's ability to switch into scarf tapu lele, and can also deal with opposing celesteela with wisp and hex so your own celesteela doesn't have to deal with the mirror match

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-offensive, can run atk investment to hit really hard with heavy slam and some other nice attacks such as flamethrower, earthquake, and air slash.
-spdef, is a nice aegislash and tapu lele switch-in FYI a major point to this is that SpD Celesteela avoids a 2HKO from Specs Tapu Lele Psychic. This miiiiight be better than other options, but if it is I would stick to a mention in the main set for now, since they run the same moves.
-automize, makes celesteela a threatening sweeper, especially after some beast boosts in atk, though it does synergize poorly with heavy slam celesteela weighs so much it doesn't really matter

-I'd give Shed Shell a mention. It's only useful againt Magnezone (and to a lesser extent Mega Gengar, and Wobbuffet post bank), but Magnezone usage has had such a sharp increase that it can be worth it for some teams to use Celesteela more freely against it.

-This is hard to fit in, but Toxic can be sorta neat against bulkier Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Arcanine, since then they can't just switch out to avoid getting worn down the whole match.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Tapu Koko**: threatens celest with super effective STAB boosted by electric terrain, however cant switch in very reliable as it can only take one heavy slam

**Alolan Marowak**: hits hard with flare blitz, can flame charge to hit before subs

**Mega Gyarados**: can set up subs on seeds/heavy slam and proceed to DD

**Xurkitree**: xurkitree threatens celesteela with super effective STAB and when against celesteela it has a good opportunity to set up with z-hypnosis/tail glow.

**Mega Gengar**: has to be careful switching in but can wisp celesteela to limit its recovery a bit and weaken heavy slam. hex will also be able to pick up a 2HKO after burn against most celesteela

I'd consider mentioning bulky Arcanine. Arcanine doesn't like Leech Seed, but it isn't 2HKOed by any of Celesteela's attacks, and has recovery. Flamethrower puts Celesteela into the KO range of Burn Up as well.

Might want to have a short blurb on how Post Pokebank, we get a lot more Fire-types that can be problematic for Celesteela. Most notably, Mega Charizard-Y and Rotom-H wall the Leech Seed sets pretty hard due to their Earthquake immunity.
Pretty good job otherwise though, so QC Approved 1/3!

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Moves
Scizor should be added to the list of targets mentioned under Flamethrower.

Team Options
Although the double Fire weakness may seem unappealing at first, Pheromosa is a nice offensive teammate. It's Speed tier puts it above Mega Gyarados at +1, which is nothing short of amazing. STAB HJK nets OHKO on a lot of Celesteela's threats, including Mega Gyarados, Xurkitree, Magnezone, and Cloyster.

Other Options
Energy Ball is great on the offensive set as well, hits bulky Water-types like Mega Gyarados, Cloyster, Tapu Fini and Slowbro. Since Autotomize synergizes poorly with Heavy Slam, consider Flash Cannon as the primary STAB move instead. When using Autotomize, Weakness Policy isn't a bad item on Celesteela, given its above average bulk and only two weaknesses with fantastic coverage options (Fire/Grass).

2/3

Moves
Scizor should be added to the list of targets mentioned under Flamethrower.

Team Options
Although the double Fire weakness may seem unappealing at first, Pheromosa is a nice offensive teammate. It's Speed tier puts it above Mega Gyarados at +1, which is nothing short of amazing. STAB HJK nets OHKO on a lot of Celesteela's threats, including Mega Gyarados, Xurkitree, Magnezone, and Cloyster.

Other Options
Energy Ball is great on the offensive set as well, hits bulky Water-types like Mega Gyarados, Cloyster, Tapu Fini and Slowbro. Since Autotomize synergizes poorly with Heavy Slam, consider Flash Cannon as the primary STAB move instead. When using Autotomize, Weakness Policy isn't a bad item on Celesteela, given its above average bulk and only two weaknesses with fantastic coverage options (Fire/Grass).

2/3
Thanks bobo! Implemented all this

Not QC, but needs a bit of spelling correction and some points like "-an alternative spread of 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a jolly nature can be used when running substitute. this is really good in the celesteela mirror and allows you to outspeed even the fastest aegislash which celesteela can lose to otherwise if its a substitute variant, and can seedstall basically anything else slower than it. also gets a beast boost in speed after every KO to become increasingly annoying" are probably too long and need to be a tad shorten :). Good work otherwise!

Not QC, but needs a bit of spelling correction and some points like "-an alternative spread of 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a jolly nature can be used when running substitute. this is really good in the celesteela mirror and allows you to outspeed even the fastest aegislash which celesteela can lose to otherwise if its a substitute variant, and can seedstall basically anything else slower than it. also gets a beast boost in speed after every KO to become increasingly annoying" are probably too long and need to be a tad shorten :). Good work otherwise!
I havent focused on grammar at all yet, im only worried about the information until i go to GP, and they'll fix the grammatical errors.

I havent focused on grammar at all yet, im only worried about the information until i go to GP, and they'll fix the grammatical errors.
My apologies, I'm new to the Analyses section so I forgot what the GP team's job is.

You could add the Specially Defensive set in Other Options, and if happens to be viable it should be the second set IMO.

My apologies, I'm new to the Analyses section so I forgot what the GP team's job is.

You could add the Specially Defensive set in Other Options, and if happens to be viable it should be the second set IMO.
I have the spdef set under set details, which is better than OO. I just don't have it as it's own set since it plays pretty much identically to the phys def set imo. Just takes different amounts of damage from certain things.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think we're gonna need to write more than 1 set for this for sure. SpD and fast subseed can be combined with the regular Def set, but I think things like AV and Autotomize need their own sets imo

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Heavy Slam / Flash Cannon
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Assault Vest
nature: Brave / Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA (make mention of SpA spread in set details)

[SET]
name: Autotomise
move 1: Heavy Slam / Iron Head
move 3: Acrobatics
move 4: Explosion / Rock Slide
item:
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

I just slapped these together, there's probably better versions. there are so many freakin celesteela sets like where do we draw the line lol

I think we're gonna need to write more than 1 set for this for sure. SpD and fast subseed can be combined with the regular Def set, but I think things like AV and Autotomize need their own sets imo

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Heavy Slam / Flash Cannon
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Assault Vest
nature: Brave / Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA (make mention of SpA spread in set details)

[SET]
name: Autotomise
move 1: Heavy Slam / Iron Head
move 3: Acrobatics
move 4: Explosion / Rock Slide
item:
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

I just slapped these together, there's probably better versions. there are so many freakin celesteela sets like where do we draw the line lol
You might want to have Autotomize as a move on that Autotomize set lol
Celesteela
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Autotomize
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Acrobatics
Iron head really isn't worth it despite the weight loss from Autotomize; you're still going to hit everything that you would usually hit with heavy slam at 120 base power

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You might want to have Autotomize as a move on that Autotomize set lol
Celesteela
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Autotomize
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Acrobatics
Iron head really isn't worth it despite the weight loss from Autotomize; you're still going to hit everything that you would usually hit with heavy slam at 120 base power
lol whoops! I'm too used to inserting sets into the damage calc where you usually want 4 attacks haha.

ok so the thing about iron head is that yeah there are only a handful of things that take reduced damage from heavy slam but since you're really fast now you can fish for flinches ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)