Chaining basics in ORAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaining using DexNav in ORAS

It’s still debated whether or not chaining using Dexnav will increase your chance of getting shinies. I personally have not had any luck with it. (RIP 126 nameless poochyenas) However, Chaining is still very much worth your while.

Our example for this will be poochyena, (again, i’ve got a chain of 126) Chaining Can get you pokemon with up to 3 perfect IVs, Egg moves, and hidden abilities.

How to chain

First off, you must have caught the pokemon you are attempting to chain. (poochyena)

Once you have caught it it will be registered in your dexnav at routes it can be found. You will need the following to begin chaining

• a pokemon with false swipe and moves that can 1 hit KO the pokemon you are chaining

• a pokemon with taunt and a pokemon with spore or thunder wave
(the first two are not required but extremely useful)

• A ton of max repels

• the dexnav

• Poke balls

Go the route you need to with all of your materials and pokemon. Go to a patch of grass, put on a repel (you need a repel on the whole time) and select the pokemon you are attempting to chain on the bottom screen It might take a few times of trying, (it couldn't be found nearby!) and moving but eventually you will hear its cry and see a tail somewhere on the route. SNEAK over to the tail and touch it to enter a battle. KO or catch the pokemon and repeat. this is the screen you should see after a successful search.

Note the red exclamation marks next to potential and first move. the mean 3 perfect IVs and egg move, respectively. This skitty has a normal ability. This can also be a hidden ability and will have an exclamation point too. This can be used for easy breeding, NO DITTO! Tho keep the chain going, you have to faint or catch the pokemon. beware of pokemon like Zorua and Ralts with moves like memento and teleport in their arsenal. If you are chaining these, a taunter is essential.

Knowing you have a successful chain

So you’re chaining for that poochyena, but how do you know you’re chaining? once you encounter the first pokemon in your chain, you must catch it or KO it. Another one will immediately appear elsewhere. sneak over to that one too. repeat the process. at the fifth pokemon, you will notice a five level jump in the pokemon you’re chaining. this means that you are successfully chaining. the nex 5 pokemon should be one level higher than the first 4.

example (numbers represent lvls): 2, 2, 2, 2, 7, 3, 3, 3, 3, 8, 4, 4, 4, 4, 9, 5, 5, 5, 5, 10

and so on.

each pokemon gradually increases in potential, hidden ability and egg move chances.

Breaking your chain

It’s frustratingly easy to break your chain. avoid doing the following in order to keep your chain intact.

• running. at all if you run, you’re going to scare away your pokemon.

• leaving the route your chaining on.

• saving and closing the came. you cannot save in the middle of chaining.

• waiting too long to sneak up on the pokemon. it will leave an break your chain

• walking within a 10 tile radius of the pokemon. just to be safe. sneak slowly and carefully to the pokemon

Your chain has broken if the levels reset. (If your chain breaks 100, the levels reset as well, without breaking the chain)

What happens if…

Another pokemon I’m not chaining shows up on the dexnav screen?

Go ahead and KO it. then search your pokemon again and keep going. your chain should still be intact

The pokemon I’m chaining doesn’t show up when i search it!

This is normal. walk a few steps and try again till it works. your chain will not be broken but beware of other pokemon showing up however.

And those are the basics of chaining with dexnav! tell me your results or if you happen to find shinies by chaining!

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Mangle, I fear that once again, you are treading already walked ground. I'll leave it up, as the info seems fine, but at the moment, vzxt is already working on a chaining article, which has been claimed in the 6th gen in-game articles thread.

If he ends up failing to finish in a timely nature, however, I'd be happy to have you take over the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)