Tournament Chessmons Tournament [Won by Fighter Noobs (Megazard, Thimo)]

Chessmons Tourney
*With a Twist*
Idea by blalib
Approved by Reverb
Sign-ups last until September 28

Players then play in chessmons format with the rules for that week.
Chessmons rules:
-The King is a Pseudo-Legendary (non-legendary with 600 BST: Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Hydreigon, or Goodra).
-The Queen is an Ubers or under Pokémon.
-The Rook is an OU or under Pokémon.
-The Bishop is a UU or under Pokémon.
-The Pawn is an LC Pokémon (no LC Ubers) and the Knight is the Pawn's fully evolved, NON-UBER form.
-If your King faints, you lose and must forfeit if it is not your last Pokémon.
-Only the King or Queen may mega-evolve.
-Only the Queen can be Ubers; therefore, NO M-Salamence King, Blaziken Knight, etc.
-Pokémon will be named accordingly with their role; name your King along the lines of "King", etc.
-Pokémon abilities and moves must be legal in their respective tiers; a Wobbuffet Bishop would not be allowed to have Shadow Tag as Shadow Tag is not allowed in UU.
-Latios and Latias may only hold the Soul Dew items as a Queen.
-If your King faints, you lose; if it is not your last Pokémon and it has fainted, you must forfeit, if not allow yourself to lose.

In the beginning of the each week, the rules are announced for that week.

Ex. Week 1:
Rules.
-Teams must be comprised of 2 Rooks, 3 Bishops, and 1 King.

Ex. Week 2:
Rules.
-Teams must be monotype (except the king).

Rules about winning!
If BOTH members of your team WIN: Your team gets 5 points.
If ONE member of your team LOSES: Your team gets 2 points
If BOTH members of your team LOSE: Your team gets 0 points.

Brackets:
Randomized, and would be posted on the forums each week. It will be Team vs Team.
Ex. Given Team 1 (players A and B) Team 2 (players C and D), Players A and C face each other and Players B and D face each other. Players will have one week to challenge their opponent if their opponent is not challenge in one week the non challenger loses for that week. Do not let your team down!

Playoffs:
Teams will play 4 games until playoffs. The top 8 teams make playoffs. This is determined by the number of points. If both members of a team lose in the playoffs their team is out. If one player loses while the other player wins the player that lost is out. The remaining member is still in. The final game is regular chessmons Team vs Team best of there.

Entry:
On the forms. Have a partner before entering. Team name optional. If you do not have a team private message me if you are interested in one.
ex. blalib and reverb... Team: Unstoppable

Prize:
Reverb will hand out OU teams to people without real pokemon games.
Paradise~ will be handing out the cool in-game pokemon.

Finals:
Last two teams do best out of three final battle of Regular Chessmons. Ghosting is allowed between the teams.
Times of Games:
To be determined between the players. Players can contact each other can decide on a time.

Moderators:
Post all replays in the forums after completed to verify the game took place. No replay → No proof of battle! If you have any questions feel free is private message me.

Special Thanks To:
IronicDouble (‽) for suggestions, Yveltal321 for editing, and Reverb for approving the tournament.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Current Teams:
Current # of Teams: 16

Good Luck to All! Week 1 is under action.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I just have a few ideas for some other week rules which are only additional, if that's okay:

1. A [non-King/Queen, i.e. Bishop] may mega evolve. (This takes away a little value from the Queen, so I'm not sure about this one.)
2. The Rook must be a BL Pokémon.
3. The Queen cannot mega evolve.
4. The Bishop can also be a BL Pokémon, in addition to what it already can be. (This potentially ups the value of the Bishop, so I'm not sure how good/bad of an idea this is.)

Example:
One week's rules may be along the lines of:
-Each team must consist of three Bishops, a Pawn and Knight, and a King.
-The Bishop can also be a BL Pokémon, in addition to what it already can be.

Instead of:

Or:

Of course, any of the three examples are usable; I am just suggesting that should a rule similar to the rules above be used, that it is used with another, more significant rule, such as "Each team must consist of three Bishops, a Pawn and Knight, and a King".

These ideas would obviously affect the metagame, and I am not sure how much it will so you don't have to listen to me.

Hello all,
I just have a few ideas for some other week rules which are only additional, if that's okay:

1. A [non-King/Queen, i.e. Bishop] may mega evolve. (This takes away a little value from the Queen, so I'm not sure about this one.)
2. The Rook must be a BL Pokémon.
3. The Queen cannot mega evolve.
4. The Bishop can also be a BL Pokémon, in addition to what it already can be. (This potentially ups the value of the Bishop, so I'm not sure how good/bad of an idea this is.)

Example:
One week's rules may be along the lines of:

Instead of:

Or:

Of course, any of the three examples are usable; I am just suggesting that should a rule similar to the rules above be used, that it is used with another, more significant rule, such as "Each team must consist of three Bishops, a Pawn and Knight, and a King".

These ideas would obviously affect the metagame, and I am not sure how much it will so you don't have to listen to me.
Some of these special rule ideas may not really be that impactful. We are trying to make these rules have a big impact.
As for Rule #1, we might use that if blalib wants to.
As for Rule #2, that might not be as impactful unless there were two or more rooks, in which it might be very restraining. Not sure about this.
As for Rule #3, that's probably not going to happen as that just doesn't make sense...most Queens dont mega evolve anyway (Xerneas + Primal Groudon Dominate).
As for Rule #4, maybe, same as Rule #2 tho, only impactful if there were two or more bishops.

I like the idea of these special rules in addition to the what pokemon you use - however the rules you made are sort of restraining or has no impact.

blalib please respond to this idea of special rules; I myself like it but you can veto if you want :)

Some of these special rule ideas may not really be that impactful. We are trying to make these rules have a big impact.
As for Rule #2, that might not be as impactful unless there were two or more rooks, in which it might be very restraining. Not sure about this.
As for Rule #3, that's probably not going to happen as that just doesn't make sense...most Queens dont mega evolve anyway (Xerneas + Primal Groudon Dominate).
As for Rule #4, maybe, same as Rule #2 tho, only impactful if there were two or more bishops.

I like the idea of these special rules in addition to the what pokemon you use - however the rules you made are sort of restraining or has no impact.

blalib please respond to this idea of special rules; I myself like it but you can veto if you want :)
Thanks for the input, maybe more significant (but still minor) rules, then?

Hello all,

I like this one but I cannot guarantee it will happen.

As a replacement for Rule #3, how would this work?
-The Queen cannot hold any items, though it can be given items via Trick, Switcheroo, Bestow, Thief, etc. (This takes a huge amount of value from the Queen, though, so maybe it's too much.)
Or:
-The Queen must have a move which is super effective against the King.

I am not the best at making rules, though, so someone else may have more success in making these special rules, i.e. Ironic Double (‽) or blalib.

As a replacement for Rule #3, how would this work?
-The Queen cannot hold any items, though it can be given items via Trick, Switcheroo, Bestow, Thief, etc. (This takes a huge amount of value from the Queen, though, so maybe it's too much.)
Or:
-The Queen must have a move which is super effective against the King.

I am not the best at making rules, though, so someone else may have more success in making these special rules, i.e. Ironic Double (‽) or blalib.
As for your question Yveltal321, I think you could easily make Queens really good, or even bad for that matter. I actually like the idea of the queen not being able to hold any items, as its value greatly diminishes and becomes almost of a rook (In addition no PRIMALS!).

I think the rules you made so far are great, and I advise you to keep thinking of new ones for ideas (I think it is greatly appreciated!). Thanks!

I've got a rule idea: allow an Ubers Knight. This is a rule that could completely break the metagame, so I'm totally fine if you take that idea down for that reason.
Another idea would be to allow Ubers Kings (Megazard is probably doing a happy dance right now ;) ), but since that's only Mega Salamence it would be really boring.

in w/ Ango god bless
will get a teamname i swear
How about something along the lines of "Angoattt"?
Nah, that's lame.
That's a copycat name anyway.
Don't listen to my stupid opinions, and by that I only mean the stupid opinions. I don't mean that all my opinions are stupid.
I'm having too much fun with these strikethroughs. I need to stop.

I'm not sure how these would work out, but...
-Only half of each team (three Pokémon) may hold items; and the King is required to be one of the three Pokémon.
-Pawns may not hold items. (This gets rid of many Eviolite Pokémon, such as Vullaby or Ferroseed.)
-The Queen must be a Mega-Evolution in OU or above(M-Kangaskhan, M-Lucario, etc.)

I've got a rule idea: allow an Ubers Knight. This is a rule that could completely break the metagame, so I'm totally fine if you take that idea down for that reason.
Another idea would be to allow Ubers Kings (Megazard is probably doing a happy dance right now ;) ), but since that's only Mega Salamence it would be really boring.

How about something along the lines of "Angoattt"?
Nah, that's lame.
That's a copycat name anyway.
Don't listen to my stupid opinions, and by that I only mean the stupid opinions. I don't mean that all my opinions are stupid.
I'm having too much fun with these strikethroughs. I need to stop.
I like the idea of a ubers knight, but wouldn't that be sort of restraining as well? (Greninja + Blaziken is practically it iirc).

I'm not sure how these would work out, but...
-Only half of each team (three Pokémon) may hold items; and the King is required to be one of the three Pokémon.
-Pawns may not hold items. (This gets rid of many Eviolite Pokémon, such as Vullaby or Ferroseed.)
-The Queen must be a Mega-Evolution in OU or above(M-Kangaskhan, M-Lucario, etc.)
The first special rule is actually pretty cool imo.

The second rule is a bit meh. Pawns are not that good anyway, so why diminish their value?

The third rule is pretty restraining, but I guess it could somehow work (if everyone does not spam Mega-Kang and Mega-Mence).

blalib you should check these out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)