SS OU Chesto Rest Gyara HO (Peak #12)

1580166152125.png
1580166169255.png
cinderace.png
1580166207814.png
1580166224628.png
1580166237326.png

Lobster here with my first gen 8 RMT. I built this team mainly around DD rest gyara, which is a fantastic wincon with some great setup opportunities, that I've enjoyed a lot using this team. I can't think of anything else to say except ban arena trap so let's get into the team.

Screenshot_20200127_204127_com.android.chrome.jpg

I would go for top 10 but this gen sucks and I don't want to play it I tilted :blobpensive:

1580166152125.png
Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Steel Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

I needed a lead and they all suck, so I picked the one that sucks the least. Steel Beam is a cool move that not only allows Exca to keep rocks up by suiciding on all the foggers it doesn't beat, but also allows it to do 75 to the influx of Cloysters about atm, putting them in sucker range for cinder/croak (which is why I'm Naive). The other moves are massively self explanatory, nothing cool to see here.

1580166169255.png
Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 8 HP / 200 Atk / 48 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power Whip
- Dragon Dance
- Rest

Now here's the star of the show. I rarely find EQ to be a useful move for Gyara, so I decided to test out chesto rest on another team, and was so impressed with it I built this. The key move in this set is rest, so it can take toxics from things such as Seis, risk scald burns from fat waters like Vaporeon, and take chip from pretty much anything that isn't instantly threatening it and rest it off, leaving you a healthy +2 or more Gyara ready to sweep. It's also great for priority (especially sucker punches), which is often what would prevent this sweeping if it were 3 attacks gyara. The EV spread allows it to tank 2 brave birds from uninvested Corvik, as well as dracos from LO modest Hydra and specs Pult. A bulkier spread of 8 HP / 140 Atk / 152 SpD / 208 Spe Jolly can be used to dodge the 2hko from specs pult shadow ball, while still outspeeding scarfed Dracovish.
Edit: Another even bulkier spread of 200 HP / 88 Atk / 12 SpD / 208 Spe dodges the 2hko from band vish fishious rend after a DD as well, which is probably superior if you want the bulkier spread.
cinderace.png

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Court Change
- U-turn

Gyara loses to Ferro and Rotom-Mow, so I needed a fire type, meaning this was the only real option on HO. Providing a fast pivot, some hazard control, priority and decent breaking ability all in one, cinderace is a vital member of the team. I opted for sucker > HJK because Pult and Cloyster are annoying and HJK doesn't really hit anything. I also want to point out how underrated blaze is, that boost has allowed me to turn a tight situation around on several occasions by making cinder a powerful breaker. Adamant is preferred as only Gengar is between 370 and 337, which dies to sucker.

1580166207814.png

Mew @ Mind Plate
Ability: Synchronize
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Dragon Dance

I've enjoyed DD Mew back in the dynamax era, where I used a weakness policy set, and decided to bring it back here. Mind plate helps it nab KOs, meaning at +1 it gets Sylv after rocks and a roll in your favour to KO pult after rocks (shoutout Thunder Pwoell for the item suggestion). Blitz is needed for Corviknight and Aegi, while CC hits Hydreigon, Obstagoon and Tyranitar. Other options for the coverage include Gunk Shot for Hat and Play Rough for Grimmsnarl, but both are relatively rare so are unnecessary imo.

1580166224628.png
Toxicroak @ Air Balloon
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

I wanted something that could come into Fishious Rend because Vish is terrifying, and Toxicroak not only does that, but offered insurance against Toxapex, which is a pain between haze and scald burns. Air balloon allows it to counter Seis, Gastro etc (shoutout Real PHeal Spheal for this one), giving me another mon to set up on these if there's something I need to remove for Gyara to sweep. EQ is necessary so you actually beat pex, rather than lose a PP war to it, as well as hitting Aegi and any Cinderace that try to switch in, while gunk hits fairies, rotom-mow, and is generally a good stab. Sucker allows you to hit Pult as well as being priority, which is literally always helpful. I decided against drain punch as it doesn't hit much and you still lose to corvik.

1580166237326.png
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Finally, I wanted a scarf for Pult and I was aware I struggled to break darks like Grimm and Mandibuzz, so I opted for Gardevoir. Trick is vital as it allows me to screw over irritating mons like bulk up corvik (if I let it get a free BU it just wins), and also can lead V cloy and trick it as it smashes, which has been useful before. Moonblast is it's best stab and required for Pult, while psychic helps V pex but could be dropped for focus blast to revenge sand rush Exca. The main draw of Gardevoir, however, is healing wish. This allows me to save an almost dead/statused sweeper if I'm in a tough situation, and in general allows for more reckless play. Trace is a brilliant ability too, being able to steal swift swim/sand rush/chlorophyll to reverse sweep weather squads, regen some health back from pex, or kill pults through sub by stealing infiltrator.

I don't like this gen so I'm not particularly interested in trying out the ideas I've had to alter this team, so if anyone tries these let me know:
Replace Excadrill, SR leads suck so something like Cloyster or a less skillless mon BU grimm to help the corvik matchup might be cool.
Hydra > Croak seems interesting, even if it is a lot weaker V Vish.

There's only like 7 threats in gen 8 do I really have to do this

:Corviknight: Bulk Up's annoying, don't give it any breathing room. Trick Garde and Cinderace are the answers.
:Dragapult: Sub wisp is the most annoying, Garde revenge kills, the sucker users help (although croak is useless V wisp).
:Cloyster: King's rock is skillless garbage This is scary, if you lead exca steel beam --> sucker mindgames with cinderace (fuck ice shard). The alternative is lead garde and trick.
:Grimmsnarl: Screens are always irritating, you want to remove this and then get psyfangs to remove screens ASAP if it's the screens set. It walls Mew, which is very annoying.
:Aegislash: I'm quite shadow sneak weak, but outside of Garde everything pressures this well enough. Special mention to air balloon SD for being able to set up on Exca.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Steel Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 8 HP / 200 Atk / 48 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power Whip
- Dragon Dance
- Rest

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Court Change
- U-turn

Mew @ Mind Plate
Ability: Synchronize
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Dragon Dance

Toxicroak @ Air Balloon
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed my sarcastic comments team.

Last edited:
Hiya! I'm really glad to see this team lineup, you're having success with a lot of elements I tried to fit on various HO squads but just never quite managed to get right. In particular I have been trying to fit Toxicroak but was just never quite manage to get the right set. It was the air balloon I was missing, I'll definitely be giving that set a try.

I don't have any major suggestions but I think there are a couple of moveset choices you could try out. I'd be interested to see how Rock Tomb does on Excadrill - I haven't run into too many Cloyster leads but the speed drop has been pretty useful for my own team. The only other big thing I can think of is trying Taunt over Court Change on Cinderace. Personally I think Court Change is kinda overhyped, it ends up being easier to play around than it seems on paper and the impact can end up getting nullified since your exca will usually be dead. Plus, your team is not doing a ton of switching anyway and your one actual SR weak mon has rest anyway. I have also had the experience the BU Corvi is the absolute worst enemy of HO right now and Taunt will give you a much more solid answer.

Awesome team!

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but can you explain the Gyarados EV spread a bit better? LO Draco Meteor doesnt OHKO whether you're at a 252/252/4 spread or the spread you're suggesting, and neither of those two spreads can take back to back Draco's (assuming LO) anyway, so why not just go 252/252/4? I'm all about BulklyDos but it doesn't make sense with the description you gave. Could even go Adamant and put in 28 speed EVs to make sure to outspeed Jolly Vish after a DD which could afford to ability to put more EVs into making this thing bulky. But even then Power Whip back only 2HKOs 23.8% (assuming max Atk investment) of the time assuming you're not yet at +1... Can you give more of an explanation on why this EV spread a bit more?

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but can you explain the Gyarados EV spread a bit better? LO Draco Meteor doesnt OHKO whether you're at a 252/252/4 spread or the spread you're suggesting, and neither of those two spreads can take back to back Draco's (assuming LO) anyway, so why not just go 252/252/4? I'm all about BulklyDos but it doesn't make sense with the description you gave. Could even go Adamant and put in 28 speed EVs to make sure to outspeed Jolly Vish after a DD which could afford to ability to put more EVs into making this thing bulky. But even then Power Whip back only 2HKOs 23.8% (assuming max Atk investment) of the time assuming you're not yet at +1... Can you give more of an explanation on why this EV spread a bit more?
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 294-347 (88.8 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 8 HP / 48 SpD Gyarados: 281-331 (84.3 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Turn 1: Hydra dracos and is now -2, you DD
Turn 2: You outspeed and rest and can easily take 2 more hits (or NP + 1 hit) from -2 hydra. As for the speed I clearly said scarf vish (you could run 0 speed and outrun band at +1 lol), although max speed is better imo as you need 236+ to outrun +speed pult at +1, at which point you may as well go for base 80s at +0 (relevant for stuff like mamo) which is 248+ and its definitely worth 4 EVs to tie w other gyara. In case you were confused as to why outspeeding vish is huge regardless of if u can kill or not it means fishious rend does less, meaning you can either rest if you're low or DD/attack without worrying about dying.

As for the suggestions, rock tomb exca sounds very useful and worth trying out. I'm not entirely sold on dropping court change as it's very useful V webs and helps maximise gyara's set up opportunities, although taunt does sound very useful. Ultimately it seems like a matchup decision. I'll probably test it out at some point, thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)