Monotype Chilly Beginnings

Hello fellow trainers, I am ninjaguy04. I love ice-types and wanted to get into competitive with that type. I wasn't doing well, thus I looked at the formats and realized there was monotype. Now I'm trying to get into montotype competitive with Ice. I hope you guys can help improve my team and/or give suggestions.

THE TEAM

A hyper-offensive team with some utility up it's sleeve

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Blizzard

It's safe to say, that Ninetales is the crux of my ice team with hail and aurora veil which is extended by Light Clay. I have blizzard and moon-blast as powerful STAB-moves. Then I have encore as a utility option so I can force stuff like swords dance forcing a switch or allowing me to get the kill. Then Aurora Veil allows my team to switch in safely or tank an otherwise OHKO on my pokemon.

Sandslash-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash

This is my utility pokemon as well as my revenge kill if hail is up. Originally, I had the sword dance moveset, then after playing, I realized, "ah, stealth rock is a pain to deal with," thus made the change from life orb to vest for a little tankiness. Then I gave him rapid spin for hazard clear and knock off for coverage as well as utility. Earthquake for more coverage, and Icicle Crash for my STAB move.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor

Mamoswine is my hazard setter. He is also my actual revenge killer with ice shard for low health targets. Endeavor is combined with focus sash to bring down enemies to 1% HP. Ideal plan for this move is the pokemon outspeeds me, then triggers sash, and I endeavor allowing me to win the next exchange with Ice Shard. Earthquake is the STAB move. Now Y'all may be questioning Snow Cloak, but honestly out of all the abilities, it's probably the most practical in terms of usage. With Oblivious, it's not really helpful, I don't have a berry, and taunt doesn't end the world for me. Sure, intimidate can be detrimental, but Mamoswine has two goals, stealth rock or poke. Lastly, thick fat is kinda useless when I got focus sash on it. If I have hail, the +1 evasion is simply superior in terms of practicality, however Mamoswine is not reliant on hail, so it's fine if I can't use it.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump

Now, here's my first win condition. Cloyster with shell smash is already a force to reckon with. But there's a problem, he gets walled by Steel Types or Physical Walls. Thus, instead of the usual ice shard, I go hydro pump to break these walls. Originally, I went Scope Lens for better Crit Chance, then I realized that Focus Sash is better against fighting-type moves. This is because once I switch in my Cloyster, I can Shell Smash without any worry of dying, then outspeed most of the cast, and get a kill with a potential sweep. He is also a solid physical tank with 396 defense allowing for a switch-in to tank a hit if needed.

Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Roost

Here's the pokemon that every ice team should have. Although I had Eiscue beforehand, he wasn't really working well, so I opted for Kyurem. Kyurem has very good typing, when it comes to resistances, as well as insanely good power. With him as my last win condition, Heavy-Duty Boots is great, allowing his to enter on hazards. I have two ice moves, one of which is specifically for water types, while the other is the primary STAB move. Then we have Earth Power for coverage, alongside Roost for longevity.

Froslass (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Finally, here's my favorite Pokemon of the team. Although, Froslass doesn't have the same power as kyurem, she has insane coverage. She's reliant on hail being active to allow for blizzard to never miss, as well as, her snow cloak which can be considered vital for her.. Originally, I went Destiny Bond instead of Psychic, but I have no idea how use it efficiently, cause when I try to use it, the opponent ends up outspeeding me. Thus, I opted for Psychic, which isn't as good, but still covers fighting and poison. Although she isn't exactly A win condition, she can certainly become one or set up the win for the other pokemon, by getting rid of the threats

Well, that's my team. Even though I'm a beginner, through trial and error, I believe this team can put in the work. I would love any help/suggestions to see if I can improve this team. Here are some extra thoughts I had when trying to improve my team, that may help you.​

1.) I had considered Piloswine with Evolite for some tankiness, but that will remove some of the momentum I can achieve with this team, thus the Mamoswine.
2.) Avalugg IS a viable pick, but personally I believe, Cloyster or Sandslash can do it's job a bit better.
3.) I have two pokemon which rely on Hail to be at their peak power, resulting in me considering a 2nd Snow Warning Pokemon, but they aren't too reliant on the hail cause they have moves or items that allow them to be useful in another aspect, so I decided against it.

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, cool team! I have a few suggestions to improve it, however.

Major Changes

->

Alolan Sandlash isn't very good due to its low Speed even with Slush Rush, and relatively low Attack. It needs to set up with Swords Dance, which you don't have on this set anyway, to do any real damage and its mediocre bulk doesn't help it in that scenario. Galarian Darmanitan is an insanely powerful wallbreaker, especially when paired with a Choice Band and its great coverage that hits pretty much everything making it the superior choice here.

->

Your team lacks Speed control now that Sandslash has been removed (wasn't much of a Speed control anyway) and you're also incredibly weak to Choice Scarf Jirachi, making Choice Scarf Weavile the best answer here. It's great in matchups such as Psychic and Ghost and outspeeds nearly anything that doesn't have multiple boosts.

Minor Changes

I recommend Freeze Dry over Blizzard here so you can kill Pokemon such as Pelipper, Gastrodon, and Mantine which are otherwise a bit annoying. Ninetales mostly has a utility role on the team anyway so the drop in power won't be too relevant.

EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost

I suggest using this set instead. Ice Beam isn't too useful whereas Substitute is incredibly useful for many different things such as PP stalling in combination with Roost and its Pressure ability, dodging status from the likes of Toxapex and Aegislash, and just putting yourself in a better position by getting up a Substitute on a Pokemon that's unable to break it. The 56 EVs in HP allow your Substitute to not be broken by Seismic Toss and Night Shade from the likes of Blissey and Galarian Corsola.

Cloyster @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
- Spikes

You lack hazard removal so use this utility Cloyster instead. This set can stack hazards too to assist the rest of your team in breaking the opponent's team.

Use the Oblivious ability over Snow Cloak to avoid getting hit with the Taunt since you're running a lead Stealth Rock set.

:ss/ninetales-alola: :ss/darmanitan-galar: :ss/weavile: :ss/mamoswine: :ss/cloyster: :ss/kyurem:
[Click on the sprites above for importable]

Hope you like my suggestions, good luck with the team!

Hey there, cool team! I have a few suggestions to improve it, however.

Major Changes

->

Alolan Sandlash isn't very good due to its low Speed even with Slush Rush, and relatively low Attack. It needs to set up with Swords Dance, which you don't have on this set anyway, to do any real damage and its mediocre bulk doesn't help it in that scenario. Galarian Darmanitan is an insanely powerful wallbreaker, especially when paired with a Choice Band and its great coverage that hits pretty much everything making it the superior choice here.

->

Your team lacks Speed control now that Sandslash has been removed (wasn't much of a Speed control anyway) and you're also incredibly weak to Choice Scarf Jirachi, making Choice Scarf Weavile the best answer here. It's great in matchups such as Psychic and Ghost and outspeeds nearly anything that doesn't have multiple boosts.

Minor Changes

I recommend Freeze Dry over Blizzard here so you can kill Pokemon such as Pelipper, Gastrodon, and Mantine which are otherwise a bit annoying. Ninetales mostly has a utility role on the team anyway so the drop in power won't be too relevant.

EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost

I suggest using this set instead. Ice Beam isn't too useful whereas Substitute is incredibly useful for many different things such as PP stalling in combination with Roost and its Pressure ability, dodging status from the likes of Toxapex and Aegislash, and just putting yourself in a better position by getting up a Substitute on a Pokemon that's unable to break it. The 56 EVs in HP allow your Substitute to not be broken by Seismic Toss and Night Shade from the likes of Blissey and Galarian Corsola.

Cloyster @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
- Spikes

You lack hazard removal so use this utility Cloyster instead. This set can stack hazards too to assist the rest of your team in breaking the opponent's team.

Use the Oblivious ability over Snow Cloak to avoid getting hit with the Taunt since you're running a lead Stealth Rock set.

:ss/ninetales-alola: :ss/darmanitan-galar: :ss/weavile: :ss/mamoswine: :ss/cloyster: :ss/kyurem:
[Click on the sprites above for importable]

Hope you like my suggestions, good luck with the team!
Love the suggestions, but personally I think I'll stick with my team a bit more until I'm more proficient in my knowledge. I'm not saying your suggestions are bad, they make sense and I love them, as I tried them out. But to me right now, it seems like there's a more profound impact from losing a member on the team. And I'm not quite good enough to try to comeback if I'm up against a equally skilled opponent. I think my team had just the right amount of utility, while this one is just a little over the top with the cloyster. I also think, my team allows for me to not worry about losing a member and still keep my momentum. But I'm definitely saving this team, and I'll test it out some more, once I make it to 1400.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)