Metagame Chimera 1v1

- Allow Megas without Mega Stones (with some exceptions). With Ubers allowed, I believe that allowing Mega Pokemon without the use of Mega Stones encourages more creativity, allowing for the use of Aerilate, as well as the more flexible use of Magic Bounce, Refrigerate, and Pixilate. Of course, Mega Pokemon like the Mewtwos, Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre would be banned, and Diancie, Slowbro, Metagross, and Lati@s seem banworthy as well, though I'm not exactly sure yet.

What do you all think?
As has been pointed out, this isn't Hackmons. Also, why can't Megas work "normally", assuming 1 is the species and the Mega Stone is in 2?

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Also, why can't Megas work "normally", assuming 1 is the species and the Mega Stone is in 2?
According to Jajoken's original post,
Q: Can I make use of in-battle forms, like Megas and Primals, or exclusive items, like Thick Club or Eviolite?
A: No. Because the Chimera is treated as a distinct form, all species-check items should fail to work. *If this can't easily be coded, they will all be banned instead.

I finally stopped slacking and made a team for this. I don't think it's super good because it's 100% special attackers and the Chimera are all kinda similar, but I think it does a decent job of adapting to different opponents.

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

Lunala
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Leftovers
Ability: Dancer
- Revelation Dance
- Roost

Lugia @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Filler
- Filler
- Aeroblast
- Thunderbolt

Porygon-Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Trick
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Greninja
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Filler
- Filler
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Spreadsheet thing with info about the Chimeras

anaconja

long day at job
you can change that rule though
i believe that a change to that rule won't run the risk of completely smashing the meta with low-commitment mons with great stats and abilities, but also allows innovative teambuilding through item distribution, weighing the pros and cons of synergy vs flexibility, etc.
I have populated the Viability Rankings! If you would like to add suggestions you can comment there.

To further encourage creativity in teambuilding, Mega Stones, Plates, and Memories are unbanned. This allows for initially overlooked mons to have a slight edge over the other Ubers mons.

And since there is no one who disagrees, Sleep moves are banned.

tagging urkerab to implement on ROM
I finally stopped slacking and made a team for this. I don't think it's super good because it's 100% special attackers and the Chimera are all kinda similar, but I think it does a decent job of adapting to different opponents.
Looks like a good team! Revelation Dance is a great way to bypass Normalize, I didn’t think of that before; you might want another Uber tier mon for stats, though. Maybe you could replace Porygon-Z with something like Mewtwo, replacing Nasty Plot with Calm Mind in order to get nice 154/130 special offenses. If you fill in all of the “filler” slots I can add that to the sample teams.

Last edited:
To further encourage creativity in teambuilding, Mega Stones, Plates, and Memories are unbanned. This allows for initially overlooked mons to have a slight edge over the other Ubers mons.
How will Mega Stones and Orbs work? Does the "evolving" mon have to provide the stats which later change to the Mega stats, or should it be slot 1 and provide the stat boosts in the same way Mix 'n Mega does?

The OP also says items like Thick Club and Eviolite are allowed. Same question for these. If the "holder" mon just has to be Slot 1 (typing) and something else can provide stats, this sounds blatantly broken. Team-restrictive or not, Thick Club Marowak-A with Kartana or Deoxys-A stats sounds like pain to fight against. Same with stuff like Eviolite users with Giratina or Cresselia stats.

If this rule applies to exclusive Z-Moves as well, Eevium Z teams are going to break the entire meta bar Unaware teams (or Heart Swap or Topsy-Turvy teams, which sound quite gimmicky).

anaconja

long day at job
How will Mega Stones and Orbs work? Does the "evolving" mon have to provide the stats which later change to the Mega stats, or should it be slot 1 and provide the stat boosts in the same way Mix 'n Mega does?
Providing stats would prove to be too powerful, shown by this post showing a Groudon-Primal with 255/160/90 defenses. I would hope that it would provide stat boosts like Mix and Mega, but looking at it now, that's still pretty overpowered. maybe i should think through my decisions more ;~;

The OP also says items like Thick Club and Eviolite are allowed. Same question for these. If the "holder" mon just has to be Slot 1 (typing) and something else can provide stats, this sounds blatantly broken. Team-restrictive or not, Thick Club Marowak-A with Kartana or Deoxys-A stats sounds like pain to fight against. Same with stuff like Eviolite users with Giratina or Cresselia stats.
My previous post initially unbanned all Pokemon-specific items, but once I realized that they were overpowered, I edited my post, but forgot to edit the OP. Will change back ASAP.

If this rule applies to exclusive Z-Moves as well, Eevium Z teams are going to break the entire meta bar Unaware teams (or Heart Swap or Topsy-Turvy teams, which sound quite gimmicky).
Exclusive Z-Moves should not be unbanned, according to my most recent post.

I would hope that it would provide stat boosts like Mix and Mega

My previous post initially unbanned all Pokemon-specific items, but once I realized that they were overpowered

Exclusive Z-Moves should not be unbanned, according to my most recent post.
Supporting Mega Stones would have been a nightmare to code anyway. I've updated ROM with the sleep move bans though.

Looks like a good team! Revelation Dance is a great way to bypass Normalize, I didn’t think of that before; you might want another Uber tier mon for stats, though. Maybe you could replace Porygon-Z with something like Mewtwo, replacing Nasty Plot with Calm Mind in order to get nice 154/130 special offenses. If you fill in all of the “filler” slots I can add that to the sample teams.
My only problem with replacing Porygon-Z is I was mainly using it for the Ability, since my only other good ability is Greninja. I can find something else though,because Mewtwo has mediocre abilities.

anaconja

long day at job
To generate more interest (and more players, hopefully!) to the meta, I'd like to start a Community Create-a-Team!

This will work differently from other CCATs, since we can't simply add one pokemon at a time. Each slate will last for 5 days, followed by 2 days of voting, according to the following schedule:
1. Main set idea and typing: What ability is this team hinged around? If this ability is not type-specific (i.e. Tinted Lens), what typing would be optimal for the current meta? What is the go-to set for most battles?
Team Addition: A set idea that has an ideal 1st and 3rd team slot.
Typing + Ability
[insert mons here]
[insert set(s) here]
Description:

2. Typing synergy: Every good Chimera 1v1 team needs multiple Pokemon sharing from a pool of 3-4 common typings.
Team Addition: Pokemon that will support the main set with their similar typings (a bad example: Drampa, Turtonator, and Pyroar)
Typing + Typing + Typing (+ Typing)
[insert ideal mons here, plus viable moves they can donate in parantheses]

Description:
3. Possible supporting sets:
In case the opponent has a team that has many checks to the main set, what are the backup teambuilds that beat these checks?
Team Addition: Movesets and items for the Pokemon added from the previous slate to create supporting sets.
Title of Set
Pokemon @ Item (from Pokemon 2)
Ability: (from Pokemon 3)
Stats from Pokemon 4
- Move (from Pokemon 5)
- Move (from Pokemon 5)
- Move (from Pokemon 6)
- Move (from Pokemon 6)
[short description]

4. Repeat 3. until all movesets are taken up. If Item slots are still remaining Leftovers will be added as a placeholder.
5. Niche sets: Looking at the finished team, what are some more sets that can be made besides the ones intentionally created?
(Note: this will not have a voting phase)
6. Finished product!

Obviously, we're starting from the top, at Main set idea and typing, so I'll start with my own submission:
Water/Electric + Drizzle

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
(special attacking stats)
- Water Spout / Steam Eruption / Hydro Pump
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- filler (Trick?)

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
(bulky stats)
- Toxic
- Roost / Recover
- Scald
- filler (Haze?)
Description: Water/Electric is a great typing offensively and defensively, resisting Fire, Flying, and Water type moves. as for attacking synergy, Water hits Ground types that are immune to Electric while Electric hits Water types that are resistant to Water.

Last edited:
Grass/Fighting + Grassy Surge

Breloom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
(physical attacking stats)
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
(bulky offense stats)
- Spiky Shield
- Toxic
- Roost / Recover
- Play Rough / Fighting move

Description: Grass/Fighting is a good offensive typing with Rock coverage, and with a 1.5x boost from both Grassy Terrain and Choice Band, Wood Hammer can kill almost any neutral opponent's. Earthquake makes sure literally no pokemon resists any of Breloom's moves. Grass/Fairy is a surprisingly good defensive typing, and when paired with Poison Heal and a protection move, it can last a long time. Play Rough is a good STAB attack that is only resisted by 2 types, but fighting coverage can be used to stop steel types from beating you every time.

Lvl 1 FEAR + Other strat

Salazzle @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
EVs: N/A
N/A nature
- Endeavor
- Toxic
- Protect
- Priority
  • The typing is chosen to grant immunity to Toxic and Will-o-Wisp; however, depending on team structure, a Grass/Poison or Grass/Steel type could be used to instead block Leech Seed. Either way, a Toxic immunity should be used.
  • These four moves can be put in whatever order, as the team structure demands, since Toxic and Protect are generic.
Description: The presence of a low-level Pokemon on a Chimera team immediately tells the opponent that they should bring a strat that can beat FEAR (since levels are shown at team preview). In Chimera 1v1, however, the Level 1 mon need not be linear -- it still has a typing, ability, item, and two move pairs to donate. So if it strikes the user's fancy, they can bring just about any other strategy they can fit on the team to the table.

A FEAR team has the potential to play major head games with the opponent and trick them into bringing the wrong strat, without requiring too much commitment -- several useful Pokemon learn Endeavor, Sturdy is a good ability in 1v1, and priority moves are just generally useful.

Grass/Fighting is a good offensive typing with Rock coverage, and with a 1.5x boost from both Grassy Terrain and Choice Band, Wood Hammer can kill almost any neutral opponent's. Earthquake makes sure literally no pokemon resists any of Breloom's moves.
Well, almost all. Aegislash (or Toxicroak) with a Levitate donor will resist everything there.

Electric-Fairy Fakespeed

Tapu Koko @ Normalium Z
Ability: Pixilate or Galvanize
EVs: Physical (maybe Arceus or Rayquaza)
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Last Resort / Filler

Description: With the addition of a ground move, Fairy and Electric has unresisted coverage. Fakespeed is very good against common attacking sets like contrary, tinted lens, protean, sturdy, and shadow shield. The Chimera would be very unpredictable, as it could be 1 of 2 fakespeed sets, but it could be something that counters anti priority. Arceus would be a good partner as it could also pass plate judgement to beat pesky normalize users, while rayquaza has slightly better stats. Both have espeed and earthquake.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
tinted lens v-create

Venomoth
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Poison Fang

Victini
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- V-create
- Trick
- thunderbolt/glaciate maybe

pretty obvious, v-create + tinted lens on a mon like cb fire type groudon is going to take some lives. trick helps beat defensive mons by tricking band, although bolt strike might be a better alternative if you're running venomoth on something else.

i chose veno because it has one of the most interesting movepools as far as tinted lens users go. qd+psychic can utilize victini's typing to set up and sweep, while poison fang is a unique move that's like toxic, but gets around magic bounce users, making for a good stallbreaker. (poison and steel types get crushed by v-create)

anaconja

long day at job
Submissions will close today around 8pm PST, if anyone would like to make any last-minute suggestions!

anaconja

long day at job
Slate 1 has ended, with 5 submissions:
Anaconja ’s Water/Electric + Drizzle
Brodaha ’s Grass/Fighting + Grassy Surge
Akumeoy ’s Fire/Poison + Sturdy
lalalama ’s Electric/Fairy + -ate
Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) ’s Fire + Tinted Lens

You can make up to two votes, ordered based on which one you like more. Voting will last until Monday at 8pm PST so get yours in!

my vote:
Brodaha
Anaconja

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
Slate 2 is up!

Typing synergy: Every good Chimera 1v1 team needs multiple Pokemon sharing from a pool of 3-4 common typings.
Team Addition: Pokemon that will support the main set with their similar typings (a bad example: Drampa, Turtonator, and Pyroar)
Typing + Typing + Typing (+ Typing)
[insert ideal mons here, plus viable moves they can donate in parantheses]
Description:

Note that each submission will have Lanturn and Pelipper included.

Here's my submission:
Water + Electric + Ice + Dragon
(Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt)
(Roost, Scald, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Knock Off)
(Thunderbolt, Trick, Will-o-Wisp)
(FusionFlare, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Earth Power, Roost)
(Dragon Dance, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Ice Shard)
(Bolt Strike, Haze, Earth Power, Focus Blast, Roost)
Description: Water/Ice may sound unappealing, but Lapras gives both a useful ability in Water Absorb (nice for countering Water Bubble shenanigans) and a potent move in Dragon Dance, boosting Zekrom stats sky-high. Electric/Ice is a great offensive typing, and Rotom-Frost can give levitate to Zekrom's typing to make a great defensive tank with Lapras's decent stats.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Water + Electric + Steel + Flying

(Roost, Scald, Hurricane, Ice Beam, Knock Off)
(Hydro-Pump, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Heal Bell)
(Earthquake, Leech Seeds, Flamethrower, Hurricane, Superpower)
(Ice Beam, Scald, Hydro Pump, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind)
(Roost, Thunder, Hurricane, Heat Wave, Agility)
(Shift Gear, Extreme Speed, Technoblast (?), Thunder, Gunk Shot, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Blaze Kick)

That combination of type is the one that profits the most from rain, whether from a direct boost, new stabs or the neutralization of a weakness. Most of those pokemons have wide movepool to be able to hit most threatning defensive types (Water + Ice + Ground hits almost everything).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)