move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Ice Beam / Scald
item: Choice Scarf / Berry Juice
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Timid
evs: 52 Def / 228 SpA / 220 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Chinchou is one of few viable Electric-types available in the metagame, and allows it to offensively check both Water and Flying-types such as Corphish, Wingull and Rufflet. With Choice Scarf equipped, Chinchou can outpace faster pokemon such as Wingull, Diglett and other slower Choice Scarf users such as Farfetch'd-Galar. Volt Switch should be used early- to mid-game to provide momentum and to deal chip damage, but be cautious against teams with Ground-types, particularly Trapinch and Diglett, who can trap and KO Chinchou if they predicted the move. Berry Juice is an alternative option for its longevity and avoids getting locked into a wrong move, at the cost of outspeeding the aforementioned pokemon above.

Offensive pokemon such as Farfetch'd-Galar and Wingull appreciates Chinchou's ability to bring them safely. Chinchou can also form a VoltTurn core alongside U-Turn users such as Vullaby. Chinchou struggles at dealing with bulky Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Oddish; a Grass-type checks such as Vullaby and Rufflet are a good option.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [ Roldski32, 447650 ]
- Quality checked by: [ Merritt, 213064 ] [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Last edited:

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Nice work, not QC so don't have to implement this.

I feel like you want to elaborate here that Diglett and Trapinch are able to trap and completely remove Chinchou from the battlefield thanks to Arena trap when you're talking about refraining from using Volt Switch.

Second paragraph talks about U-turn users such as Vullaby. I personally have only really seen NP Vullaby's; which is the set that's getting an analysis. Scorbunny and Cutiefly would probably be better examples here, but Vullaby does synergise well with Chinchou thanks to its Ground immunity and being able to pressure Ferroseed and Oddish, so I'd like to see it mentioned in the second paragraph.

Edit: Everyone ever is using u-turn Vullaby in ekans so this is fine

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Remove Gastly mentions, since it's been banned from LC.

Slash Ice Beam in front of Scald.

If you're going to mention slower Choice Scarf users then give examples like Galarian Farfetch'd.

You've got a pretty hard contradiction here - "Volt Switch should used often to deal decent chip damage and regain momentum. Despite its ability to hit Ground-Types for super-effective damage, refrain from using it as locking from the move can result to a loss of momentum, especially against Diglett and Trapinch." Clarify that Volt Switch is useful for chip damage and providing momentum to the team, but is risky against teams with Ground-types, particularly Diglett and Trapinch who can trap and KO Chinchou if they predict the move.

Cut the EV mention, they're intuitive EVs and the set comments are already a bit long.

Cut the entry hazard setter mention in the second paragraph, every Pokemon that exists likes chip damage and it's not essential to Chinchou's role. Also helps keep this a bit briefer.

Replace Salandit with Vullaby in the second paragraph as Stoward suggested, a second Ground weak mon is less than ideal.

Please actually fill out the credits section.

Go for another run through grammar, this has some issues that would be ideal to fix before GP gets their hands on it.

1/2

Last edited:
Remove Gastly mentions, since it's been banned from LC.

Slash Ice Beam in front of Scald.

If you're going to mention slower Choice Scarf users then give examples like Galarian Farfetch'd.

You've got a pretty hard contradiction here - "Volt Switch should used often to deal decent chip damage and regain momentum. Despite its ability to hit Ground-Types for super-effective damage, refrain from using it as locking from the move can result to a loss of momentum, especially against Diglett and Trapinch." Clarify that Volt Switch is useful for chip damage and providing momentum to the team, but is risky against teams with Ground-types, particularly Diglett and Trapinch who can trap and KO Chinchou if they predict the move.

Cut the EV mention, they're intuitive EVs and the set comments are already a bit long.

Cut the entry hazard setter mention in the second paragraph, every Pokemon that exists likes chip damage and it's not essential to Chinchou's role. Also helps keep this a bit briefer.

Replace Salandit with Vullaby in the second paragraph as Stoward suggested, a second Ground weak mon is less than ideal.

Please actually fill out the credits section.

Go for another run through grammar, this has some issues that would be ideal to fix before GP gets their hands on it.

1/2
Implemented

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Merritt said to slash Ice Beam in front of Scald in his QC check, I don't see this reflected in the set.

I'm going to expand on what he said and recommend that the moves be this (in this order):
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam/Scald

Please make this change and then I'll give this a full check.

Merritt said to slash Ice Beam in front of Scald in his QC check, I don't see this reflected in the set.

I'm going to expand on what he said and recommend that the moves be this (in this order):
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam/Scald

Please make this change and then I'll give this a full check.
Edited. I must have misunderstood about slashing means removing, Sorry

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Just a quick am check and an argument on the character of this pre-analysis - I think the set should simply be "Pivot" with Berry Juice slashed in front of Choice Scarf. I may be wrong here, but I am fairly certain that Berry Juice Chinchou runs the same EV spread, and I certainly think it is the better and more prolific set right now on account of its better staying power, ability to beat Trapinch, and better ability to check stuff like Shellder. The only moveset change this would require would be slashing in Thunder Wave in the fourth move slot.

Sorry for taking me too long to make up my mind. I was thinking of seperating Scarf and Berry Juice set, as both perform different role, and the latter having a different EV Spread. But I'm starting to realized that offensive spread was also better on BJ set as well, and somehow not aware that same offensive spread was also mentioned as an alternative spread on BJ Chinchou on its Gen 7 analysis until now... :psysad:.

As of right now, I've added and mentioned Berry Juice and changed the set's name. Will wait for response on a full check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)