Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Choice Scarf is arguably Magnezone's is most effective set due to its ability to trap and dispose of two extremely common threats in Kartana and Mega Scizor. Choice Scarf helps Magnezone outspeed prominent OU threats, thus letting it check Pokemon like Tapu Lele in emergencies and revenge kill threats like Kartana and Mega Pinsir. Magnet Pull also gives Magnezone the ability to trap a variety of problematic Steel-types, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Skarmory. Kartana, Mega Latios, Tapu Bulu, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B can fit alongsides Choice Scarf Magnezone, as they all appreciate having Steel-types removed. Kartana in particular synergizes well with Choice Scarf Magnezone because it can punch holes in defensive cores with its Z-Move at +2 and revenge kill faster foes that Magnezone cannot outspeed, such as Choice Scarf Tapu Lele and Mega Lopunny. Defensive partners that can handle Ground-types, such as Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth, are appreciated, as they can check synergize Zygarde and many variants of Landorus-T.

In this replay of Eo Ut Mortus facing Trosko in SPL, you can see Choice Scarf Magnezone in action.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-355407

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Blacephalon in this spotlight but alas, I need to get this QC checked now. sedertz would be here sooner or later but any feedbacks are welcome.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Choice Scarf Magnezone compresses the role of revenge killer and trapper. Thanks to increased Speed tier, Choice Scarf Magnezone is capable of revenging a top tier threat, Kartana, in addition to problematic Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Celesteela, and Skarmory that it already could dispose of.
i think this can be rephrased, because choice scarf magnezone isnt used as a revenge killer typically; most Magnezone builds do also have a choice scarf landorus-t / kartana to be the actual revenge killer. Maybe something like

"Choice Scarf helps Magnezone get the jump on prominent OU threats, letting it check Pokemon like Tapu Lele and trap the likes of Kartana. Magnet Pull gives it the ability to trap a variety of Steel-types such as ...."

also trapping, not just revenging

Speaking of common partners, the likes of Kartana, Mega Pinsir, Kyurem-B, Latios, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Diancie
regular latios isnt that viable and diancie is mediocre too - keep it to kartana, mega latios, tapu bulu, pinsir, kyub.

Defensive partners that can handle Greninja-Ash, which outspeeds Choice Scarf Magnezone, and Ground-types are appreciated.
Ash Gren isnt the best example, i think Zygarde is a better example here (and lets you still suggest bulu / tang as well as clef / lando if you want)

Also this is a spotlight, not an analysis, so you should be talking about why Choice Scarf Magnezone is particularly effective at the moment. Just add a few sentences on what makes Scarf Zone good in the current state of the metagame (preferably near the beginning, before you dive into the set). Persuade the reader to why they should be using Scarf Magnezone. (Reasons include sky high Kartana usage and high Mega Scizor usage atm). The goal is to hook them into reading the rest of it with that

Also minor thing but throw in scarf lets it check pinsir somewhere

tell me when you're done and i'll 1/1

power

Landorus-T, Tapu Bulu, and Tangrowth are all solid checks to Ground-types, and Clefable can handle Zygarde well
This is tricky because tapu bulu and tangrowth arent really “solid” checks to ground-types, at least not more solid than clefable. Fly z lando blows through both, and defensive lando uturns / toxics tang and bulu all day. There arent a whole lot of ground-types at the moment, barring landot zygarde, gastro (which clef beats) and ig the rare mamo.

I think just leaving it as “(List of Pokemon) synergize well for this reason” is fine; you can elaborate more if you want to specify zygarde, but that’s up to you

1/1

Before
Defensive partners that can handle Ground-types pair well with Magnezone. Landorus-T, Tapu Bulu, and Tangrowth are all solid checks to Ground-types, and Clefable can handle Zygarde well.
After
When it comes to defensive partners, Clefable is a good check to Zygarde, while both Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth are solid switch-in to Ground-type moves.
I will hold off a bit from sending this to GP, as a lot of things needed to be fixed. Thanks sedertz.

power

Cool. I just wanted to make sure if I implemented the last thing right because OU isn't my best tier ;(
looks like i should have read it again; i still have an issue with the way its phrased, because saying
both Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth are solid switch-in to Ground-type moves.
is misleading when they struggle to deal with the coverage Landorus-T carries. Additionally, Clefable is a solid check to defensive Landorus-T, so saying it only checks Zygarde is again misleading.

once again, I highly advise phrasing it as

Defensive partners that can handle Ground-types are appreciated. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth synergize well for this reason, checking Zygarde and many variants of Landorus-T.
I'll tag Kris to ask him to put this directly in the GP check

Defensive partners that can handle Ground-types are appreciated. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth synergize well for this reason, checking Zygarde and many variants of Landorus-T.
Replaced this as the last sentence

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Choice Scarf is arguably Magnezone's is arguably the most effective Magnezone set at this moment due to its ability to trap and dispose of two extremely common threats in Kartana and Mega Scizor, (RC) both Pokemon that currently has extremely high usage. Choice Scarf helps Magnezone get the jump on outspeed prominent OU threats, thus letting it both check Pokemon like Tapu Lele in emergency emergencies and revenge kill threats like Kartana and Mega Pinsir. Magnet Pull also gives it Magnezone the ability to trap a variety of problematic Steel-types, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Skarmory. The likes of Kartana, Mega Latios, Tapu Bulu, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B can fit alongsides Choice Scarf Magnezone, as all of them they all appreciate removal of aforementioned having Steel-types removed. Kartana in particular can synergizes well with Choice Scarf Magnezone well by because it can punching holes on in defensive cores with Swords Dance-boosted its Z-Move at +2 and or revenge kill faster foes that Magnezone cannot outspeed with Choice Scarf, such as Choice Scarf Tapu Lele and Mega Lopunny. Defensive partners that can handle Ground-types, (AC) such as are appreciated. (RP) Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth, (AC) are appreciated, as they can check synergize well for this reason, checking Zygarde and many variants of Landorus-T.
GP 1/1

Implemented ^, this is now done.

I guess I will have to actually learn OU other than finding a way for Blacephalon and Cloyster to be viable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)