OU Choose six and stick with them

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Zapdos / Snorlax / Raikou / Forretress / Misdreavus / Skarmory

Basically it's the most flexible 6 that fits my playstyle, can be tech'd to beat everything.

EDIT : I think Suicune is less flexible than Zapdos here, CurseTyranitar and Nidoking are the 2 things why I'd see using it over Zapdos, but I feel better with Zapdos.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Probably something like the following, which still allows for flexibility in terms of movesets if not in Pokemon:

Exeggutor
Gengar
Cloyster
Zapdos
Snorlax
Tyranitar

Egg & Gengar have great synergy together (they converge on very similar Explosion targets) and are very flexible in terms of how they can mess up your day. Both can run Thief, different coverage (HP Fire from Egg, Fire Punch/Dpunch from Gengar) and Sleep moves, Gengar can run Ptrap or Dbond, Egg can do Stun Spore and/or Leech Seed. And they both check enough important things defensively that they don't end up dead weight if you're slightly on your back foot. Gengar's Speed is also super helpful in certain circumstances: outspeeding a DrumZard or +2 Drumlax? Or how about getting the jump on a bothersome Jynx or Tentacruel? Having Speed + Explosion means having flexibility in how you deal with such threats.

Cloyster isn't super flexible but he does have Spikes, which are *that* good. Synergizes well with Gengar's ability to spinblock in a pinch, it converges on Explosion targets with Egg & Gengar, and it *does* have a few tricks up its sleeve (clamp to stop ML + Psong, clamp + screech + explosion to catch Snorlax trying to set up on you, running Ice Beam or HP Electric) to make it unpredictable or even help it wear a hat that the team needs somebody to wear.

Zapdos works well all the time, and even better with Spikes + Explosion support. And it's way more flexible than it's often given credit for. Twave is great, Screens are okay, Whirlwind seems super under-rated (especially with Spikes support), and there's even that weird Sub+Swagger set that honestly seems like it could do some damage - this team does have Explosions to bail it out after all.

Snorlax is ironically probably the least flexible member of this team, because you'll probably want it to be ST to handle Thunders (and just generally be an impenetrable fortress). But it's probably the most flexible Poke in the game set-wise if you take team context out of the equation, and you could still run a "gotcha" set (SelfDestruct? LK? Fire Blast?) to catch opponents napping.

Ttar is way better than Steelix - or at least more fun. YMMV honestly. You lose a Thunder immunity but you get, in return, a Pokemon that actually contributes on offense with Pursuit and coverage. Plus there's opportunities to get creative: Zapdos can be a Phazer, and Gengar/Cloyster can counter-trap to kind-of sort-of fill that role, so you could go with a Screech set or a full-out mixed attacker set. Or you could be boring and run the Phaze + Pursuit set, which still is perfectly fine. Plus it plays backup against Jynx & Sunny Fires whereas Steelix leaves you wide open if Snorlax isn't feeling super well.

Raikou, Zapdos, Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, Steelix

Provides "the golden trio". Provides excellent tools for fighting against the golden trio. Covers a broad mid range spectrum which can accomodate fine tuning from stall to aggresive to spike shuffle to explosion. As far as I can tell it doesn't really have any weaknesses in the current meta, doesn't seem to struggle against Marowak & ground types despite having no obvious reloadable checks. In most builds allows the player to use an aggressive or passive strategy effectively which I really like, it enables you to match the defensive ability of a stall opponent while capitalising on the superior fire power it has over standard stalls. And it's my team, I have not seen anyone else using that combination in my time of playing gsc.

Any of you guys want to put up a paste, or specs for "correct" version(s) of your teams that you would use? Obviously the idea is that the sets would vary, but I do wonder about really how adaptable, and how much you can "tech" these teams for circumstances against different opponents.

Probably something like the following, which still allows for flexibility in terms of movesets if not in Pokemon:

Exeggutor
Gengar
Cloyster
Zapdos
Snorlax
Tyranitar

Egg & Gengar have great synergy together (they converge on very similar Explosion targets) and are very flexible in terms of how they can mess up your day. Both can run Thief, different coverage (HP Fire from Egg, Fire Punch/Dpunch from Gengar) and Sleep moves, Gengar can run Ptrap or Dbond, Egg can do Stun Spore and/or Leech Seed. And they both check enough important things defensively that they don't end up dead weight if you're slightly on your back foot. Gengar's Speed is also super helpful in certain circumstances: outspeeding a DrumZard or +2 Drumlax? Or how about getting the jump on a bothersome Jynx or Tentacruel? Having Speed + Explosion means having flexibility in how you deal with such threats.

Cloyster isn't super flexible but he does have Spikes, which are *that* good. Synergizes well with Gengar's ability to spinblock in a pinch, it converges on Explosion targets with Egg & Gengar, and it *does* have a few tricks up its sleeve (clamp to stop ML + Psong, clamp + screech + explosion to catch Snorlax trying to set up on you, running Ice Beam or HP Electric) to make it unpredictable or even help it wear a hat that the team needs somebody to wear.

Zapdos works well all the time, and even better with Spikes + Explosion support. And it's way more flexible than it's often given credit for. Twave is great, Screens are okay, Whirlwind seems super under-rated (especially with Spikes support), and there's even that weird Sub+Swagger set that honestly seems like it could do some damage - this team does have Explosions to bail it out after all.

Snorlax is ironically probably the least flexible member of this team, because you'll probably want it to be ST to handle Thunders (and just generally be an impenetrable fortress). But it's probably the most flexible Poke in the game set-wise if you take team context out of the equation, and you could still run a "gotcha" set (SelfDestruct? LK? Fire Blast?) to catch opponents napping.

Ttar is way better than Steelix - or at least more fun. YMMV honestly. You lose a Thunder immunity but you get, in return, a Pokemon that actually contributes on offense with Pursuit and coverage. Plus there's opportunities to get creative: Zapdos can be a Phazer, and Gengar/Cloyster can counter-trap to kind-of sort-of fill that role, so you could go with a Screech set or a full-out mixed attacker set. Or you could be boring and run the Phaze + Pursuit set, which still is perfectly fine. Plus it plays backup against Jynx & Sunny Fires whereas Steelix leaves you wide open if Snorlax isn't feeling super well.
So far the best post in this thread, by far. It can be discussed at length whether or not Tyranitar is actually better than Steelix, but it's definitely much more flexible, which fits the premise better. As for the rest, you can't go wrong with the Snorlax/Zapdos/Cloyster/Exeggutor framework, and Gengar is probably as good as anything when it comes to rounding the team out. Among other options, maybe Vaporeon stands out as something that can be both solid and dangerous.

Boomer, aggressive (fast games)

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: none
EVs: No EVs
No Nature Nature
IVs: 14 HP / 28 Atk / 26 Def
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Roar
- Rest
Roarkou to get shuffling their team up from turn 1, figure out what's on their roster. Gives you something to force spike damage on things like starmie, exeggutor which you want to clear the field of with this team. Halts your opponents electric game as Raikou does.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
IVs: 26 Def
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Standard talk zapdos. Your status receiver. Checks fighting types, heracross, nidoking.

Cloyster @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
- Explosion
Spiker. Explosion very useful for starmie, suicune, exeggutor.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
Burner lax; puts Skarmory to sleep which helps machamp a lot. I like to try and blow up their lax with it, if you can take out their lax & lead electric, raikou & zapdos can normally pick through their team pretty easily, job done.

Machamp @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Cross Chop
-Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
Good stall breaker, gives you something to hurt their switch ins with good predictions carrying all those moves. Hurts lax, raikou, zapdos, umbreon tar etc which is a great list of bases to cover in gsc.

Steelix @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Explosion
Poison proof phazer = invaluable. Excellent defensive properties, pretty good offense when cursing. Explosion for bait kill Skarmory / Starmie / Exeggutor / Zapdos (Machamp will thank you for it)

Raikou @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Roar
- Rest

Zapdos @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Cloyster @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
- Explosion

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Lovely Kiss
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct

Machamp @ Leftovers
IVs: 22 HP / 26 Atk / 28 Def
- Curse
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Steelix @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Explosion

Last edited:
Sweeper, aggressive (medium speed games)

Raikou @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Reflect
- Thunderbolt
- Roar
- Rest
Sweeper team a little lacking in recovery moves so it benefits from screen support to help you set up without dying. Targets the same as previous with spike shuffling. T. Bolt kinda sucks as it struggles to 3 shot Zapdos but with Thunder you'd have to watch your pp.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Does most the in between work being the only sleep talker.

Cloyster @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
- Explosion
Same description as previous team.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Belly Drum
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
Resist the temptation to use too early. Use when you've got some paralysis on their team. All encompassing sweeper with few ways to defend against, especially with reflect support.

Machamp @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Meditate
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
More setup but less coverage than previous champ. Again capitalises status on opponents team. Doesn't like poison types though.

Steelix @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Roar
Body slam for para spam, actually does quite a good job of this

Raikou @ Leftovers
- Reflect
- Thunderbolt
- Roar
- Rest

Zapdos @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Cloyster @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
- Explosion

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Lovely Kiss
- Belly Drum
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Machamp @ Leftovers
- Meditate
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Steelix @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Roar

Stall, passive (slower games)

Raikou @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Certainly my preferred Raikou. Just always able to stay active in the game with practically limitless ability to switch into special attacks. Your opponents electrics are doing nothing all the time you keep this guy around.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Standard. Use the electrics to setup para if you're struggling to stall break.

Cloyster @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
Rapid spin so you've got spiker & spinner covered. Personally I'd never run spin over xplosion on this team but it fits the theme here.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Curse
- Double-Edge
- Rest
By far my favorite lax set out there, just outright beats most things in gen 2. Sleep creates very useful synergy with machamp & steelix because of what it baits on snorlax; physical defenders.

Machamp @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Anyone who's ever played against me knows what this guy's about. I just love this thing; pp is machamps biggest weakness in gen 2 and sleep talk just fixes it. I like the approach of being able to just go through a snorlax rather than dancing around it trying to figure out the move set or being forced to pull an explosion. Ain't much in the game that can threaten raikou, zapdos & snorlax all at the same time quite like this does, and it's great fun just firing off cross chops fishing for that game breaking crit. This Machamp pulls consistently higher knock out rates than every other team member in just about every game I use it in.

Steelix @ Leftovers
No Nature Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roar
A very versatile build of steelix, really allows you to play a patient tactical game while utilizing his "tricky to fight against" typing. Most teams are weaker against steelix than their builders realize, normally its just a case of cleaning their water type to put them in a bad position. Don't draw it against a last poke lax though unless you're set up; you will lose the stall game with explosion omitted.

Raikou @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Zapdos @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Cloyster @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Lovely Kiss
- Curse
- Double-Edge
- Rest

Machamp @ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Steelix @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roar

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think your second team is probably best.

First team loads up on wallbreakers but none of them really target your late-game survivors' (i.e., Electrics') counters. The end result is you simplifying into a bad endgame a lot of times. This is a trap I find a lot of my own "goofy Snorlax set" teams to fall in, so it's not an easy thing to avoid!

The third team just doesn't have enough stuff. This team leans on Machamp and Cloyster to break walls but neither of their movesets support that.

The second team has a late-game warrior (Curse Steelix) and 3 wallbreakers that can target his weak spots.

Is Dratini a codeword for Snorlax, that I'm of yet currently unaware of? If so, that team looks genuinely fun to play with, even if "underpowered".
Ha, ha, my signature teams are not usually my strongest; however, I like to play to have fun as much as I like to play to win. Regarding Dratini, its moveset is Dragon Rage, Flamethrower, Surf and Extreme Speed. There's nothing more cool than a level 100 baby dragon that spits fire and surfs! >:(

Yeah ending a game without machamp or spikes down can get a bit sticky. It's not really about trying to end the game to suit the electrics, rather they're disposable less any specific check you need to keep them around for. Loosely speaking its more all about setting up the game around Machamp & Steelix, and for the last, Snorlax too.

What is it you're not seeing Machamp get past with that sleep talk set? Starmie, Suicune, Heracross aren't fun, Suicune still needs to respect x chop crits, eggy can't really switch into machamp all day, Muk could be a pain I guess.

Can you give me an example of "late game electric survivor"? I'm thinking of the losses I've had with it and this scenario isn't really jumping out at me. Usually games that go south come from a bad machamp/snorlax exchange. They start using a curselax, I switch in champ and just start firing, that doesn't always go your way when you're facing Curse Double Edge with a sleeping Machamp, but sometimes those crit x chops are so sweet it pays up. Endless missed thunders on crucial turns seems to be what screws me most the time, or a bulky stall team with a good spikes game, the last team does need spikes down a little too much.

If you could only use the same team of six Pokémon in GSC OU for the rest of time, which six would you choose and why?

Movesets can be switched around as much as you like between games, but the six Pokémon have to stay the same.
Gengar, Alakazam, Venusaur, Suicune, Snorlax, and Heracross

It’s a mix of personal favorites and stuff that I think would make the team diverse/fun to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)