Chubby Thighs

Yo. I started this team when I saw a post in the RU viability ranking thread by ScraftyIsTheBest regarding Medicham, and why it should be B rank, and it got me intrigued. I already knew from the start that I wasn't going to mess around with Choice Band, Bulk Up, Gem or Life Orb sets. Medicham is too slow and frail to pull any of these off successfully, so I was going to go with a Choice Scarf set, not as a revenge killer, but simply as a sweeper. Medicham's High Jump Kick is more powerful than Kyurem-B's Outrage, so additional power is simply not needed. Then I realized that even Scarf Medicham had very few safe switchins, and I was able to count them all on one hand: Uxie, Spiritomb and Dusknoir I guess. I decided to create an offensive core of Choice Band Entei and Trapper Absol, as they can more or less freely switch into these Pokemon and safely eliminate them. Absol also trapped Slowking for Entei, so all is good. I mentioned this core, and Molk was intrigued by this core, and contacted me to try and build a team around it. And so Chubby Thighs was born. I've peaked at #5 on the RU ladder for this Dramaqueen round with it, but I couldn't be bothered to try and reach the top because Windsong and august were too high anyway :/. MAssive internet problems (and me playing lamely) have now caused me to drop back down to around #15. However, since the team doesn't use Nidoqueen, it won't be useless after the Suspect Round should it get banned, so I'd really apreciate suggestions and feedback on it anyway, as I may still end up using it.

Prickbot (Qwilfish) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 184 Spd / 80 Def
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

I'll start the RMT of with Qwilfish. This little guy provides my team with some truly incredible support by virtue of his movepool, and an excllent switchin tp some top tier threats, such as Escavalier, Entei and Durant by virtue of his typing and ability. He may not be able to beat most of these Pokemon one one one, but if he comes in on them he will have two turns to do as he pleases. Spikes are a godsend to an offensive team such as this, and makes sweeping for my offensive core so much easier. Waterfall is a reliable STAB move tht Qwilfish needs to be able to handle Nidoqueen and Entei, whereas Taunt completely shuts down people who attempt to lead with Smeargle (Qwilfish always outspeeds). Thunder Wave is an excellent move, as with the sheer amount of switches Qwilfish causes, I can often nail something like an incoming Scarf Rotom or Sceptile. It also works well in tandem with Waterfall, and I've done my fair share of paraflinching with it. So yeah, Qwilfish is certainly not a wall, or a tank, but rather a defensive pivot for my team. Due to my team being offensive in nature, I often need a Pokemon to come in on the big boys and surivive a hit. Qwilfish does this admirably, and is excellent at providing momentum for my team, as it often gets free turns to set Spikes or Thunder Wave. Oh yeah, and as a grounded Poison-type, it absorbs the evil Toxic Spikes, which whould otherwise affect every Pokemon on my team.

Zillabot (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Whereas Qwilfish is my defensive pivot, Druddigon assumes the role of a tank. Every team needs Stealth Rock, and Druddigon is extremely adapt at setting it up. Due to his excellent Dragon-typing, Druddigon can almost single-handedly pick apart F/W/G cores, and is an excellent switchin to both U-Turn (thanks to Rough Skin) and Volt Switch. Its piss-poor Speed is somewhat remedied by Sucker Punch, but due to lack of a boosting item and STAB, it's still kind of weak. Still, it can help against frailer Pokemon such as choiced Rotom or Sceptile. Earthquake is neccessary to hit Aggron and Magneton that come in to absorb an Outrage, but does laughable damage to beasts such as Rhydon, Steelix and Regirock. Outrage is a powerful move, but it also does barely nothing to Rhydon, Spiritomb, Tangrowth and Alomomola. There are times when Druddigon has shone, and times where it has disappointed me. If there's a Pokemon that can take its place, I'd really be glad to try it out, but as it stands, I find Druddigon to be farely unique in what it does. Rough Skin really is an excellent ability for punishing overzealous Entei, or Kabutops that try to Rapid Spin. If I were to replace Druddigon with a Pokemon, it would probably be Stealth Rock Nidoqueen, as it's still bulky, but can smash through the physical walls that my team loathes. Well played Grass-types will give my team issues, but Nidoqueen retains the ability to be an excellent answer to VoltTurn. I definetly need some input on this.

Therabot (Sceptile) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Leaf Storm

God help me, I cannot make an RU team without Sceptile. The wonderful combination of Speed and power make Sceptile truly deadly throughout the whole match. Early game I tend to spam Leaf Storm, midgame is when the coverage moves come into play, and lategame is often where I go for a Giga Drain sweep. Sceptile is also a fine revenge killer when priority or Medicham aren't needed, as it outspeeds and OHKOs very dangerous Pokemon such as +1 Crawdaunt and Durant. There's honestly not much that I need to say about Sceptile, as I'm sure you're all very familiar with this set. Most people run Substitute over Leaf Storm, and I have for a long time to. I'm certainly not going to say that Leaf Storm is a better move, but Molk suggested I try it and it's been quite useful, as it can OHKO Nidoqueen after a layer of Spikes. I do sometimes miss the Overgrow+Substitute+Giga Drain combination. Sceptile is also my only Ground resist, which is quite crucial. Normally I wouldn't like to rely on such a frail resist, but Giga Drain makes up for it by being able to OHKO most users of Earthquake and regaining the HP lost to it.

Houndbot (Entei) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sleep Talk

Ah yes, here we have it. The hard hitter. the big kahuna. Choice Band Entei. Entei is part of my three man core consisting of Medicham, Absol and itself. It way added with the reasoning that it can take on practically any bulky Ghost-type for Medicham, such as Spiritomb, Misdreavus and Dusknoir. Obviously, it exceeded my expectations and brought new respect to this pup. Flare Blitz is truly a terrifying move, especially when the Pokemon that can handle it are dipatched of by Absol or Entei's own Hidden Power Grass. This is ONLY for Kabutops and Omastar, but it's worth it. However, once they have been eliminated, it's obviously a absolutely terrible move to be locked into, as stuff like Roselia and Escavalier can do as they please... but I barely end up using it anyway. ExtremeSpeed is a fantastic move for Entei, as in combination with Absol's Sucker Punch, I am pretty much safe against any faster Pokemon. Sleep Talk is there because I really see little use for Stone Edge, and if I do end up using it, it would go over HP Grass. Sleep Talk allows me to freely switch into Tangrowth and Amoonguss, and continue firing off powerful Flare Blitzes (IDK why, but it always selects Flare Blitz :P). Entei is also incredibly bulky, and his high HP really helps with Flare Blitz recoil. Basically the main wallbreaker and pseudo revenge killer on my team.

Tribalbot (Absol) @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Absol, like Sceptile, is an allout attacker. Some of my friends have tried to convince me to use a Swords Dance set, and while that set is lethal, I have never found myself in a situation where Absol could freely set up a Swords Dance and wreck a team, as it's just too damn frail. Anyway, I NEED Pursuit, as the synergy with Medicham is just far too good to pass up. Absol is a team member that I rely on a lot, because without it, Medicham will very rarely get to sweep. And of course, having the most powerful priority move of all Pokemon is extraordinarily useful in preventing enemy sweeps. Sucker Punch easily OHKOs a vast number of frail Pokemon without the need for entry hazards, such as Archeops, Sceptile, Manectric, Gallade, etc. Pursuit has already been discussed, and Night Slash is there for a reliable STAB move when I need to hit something like Tangrowth for decent damage. The 25% chance to crit has also come in handy on MORE than one occasion against sassy Cosmic Power Sigilyph. Superpower is needed in order to achieve perfect coverage, and to make sure that Pokemon such as Aggron cannot set up on me. It also hits harder than Night Slash against neutral targets.

Chubbythighbot (Medicham) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- ThunderPunch
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

I present to you Chubby Thighs herself, the Pokemon that this team was based around. Don't be put off by the fact that I don't use a boosting item or nature on Medicham, you'll still achieve all the KOs that you need. The Jolly nature is pretty crucial for outspeeding Aerodactyl as well, although losing out on Accelgor by one point kills me. 80& of the time you will only be spamming HJK, and this move deals some truly terrifying damage. Moltres is OHKOd after Stealth Rock, so it can't come in on it even if SR isn't up. Standard bulky CB Emboar is cleanly OHKOd. Max max Tangrowth is 2HKOd. If you don't resist it or are immune to it, you are simply not taking a HJK and living to tell the tale. Zen Headbutt is useful for when I need a more reliable STAB move (IE doesnt kill me if it misses) and gets the kill on annoying Pokemon such as Poliwrath. ThunderPunch is there more or less exclusively for Slowking, should Absol somehow have failed to trap it. Trick is my best chance for screwing over Stall teams even more than normal, and is more or less my only chance against Alomomola.

THREAT LIST

Alomomola is the biggest dick I have ever had the misfortune to face. It can wall basically every single Pokemon on my team apart from Sceptile and Qwilfish, who naturally always get burned, and as it's always paired with Roselia or Amoonguss, my Pokemon will simply get worn down before these two due to Regenerator. I really have almost nothing for this combination, but there are a few things that I've hypothesized, that I'd like some feedback on. I could replace Druddigon for SR Nidoqueen, as Nido maintains the ability to beat VoltTurn, is very powerful, is faster, has comparable bulk, and can smash Alomomola with her special attacks. I already have two priority users and another powerful special attacker could really help my team bust down walls. Nidoqueen also benefits more from Absol's support than Druddigon does.

Rock Polish Aggron is a massive issue if it manages to set up. My priority moves are completely ineffective against it, and Medicham fails to outspeed it. If it can nab a boost off Entei locked into ExtremeSpeed, I'm basically doomed. Again, Nidoqueen could somewhat help with this issue, as she can surive a hit by the skin of her teeth and KO in return.

AcroBlimp. I've only seen one, but it's without a doubt a massive, massive threat, especially in conjunction with Spikes. It can set up on a lot of moves and Pokemon like Medicham (although i'd never HJK until it's gone lol) locked Entei, -2 Sceptile, etc. Absol can take an acrobatics if it isnt flying gem boosted and live by the skin of its teeth, and night slash it. drudd can hurt it with outrage, but this thing isnt worth sucker punching, as it only packs one physical move. massive threat.

Spikes are annoying. My entire team is grounded, so they're all affected. Thankfully I can normally maange o provide enough offensive pressure to prevent Spikes from going up, and Qwilfish taunts leds Crustle and Smeargle. However, if I somehow fail in this regard, I'm in trouble.​

Hey Cherubagent, finally got around to this x_x As I mentioned before, this is a really solid and cool team, so I don't have all that much to say. Also you mentioned the Acroblim weakness, which makes me happy (even if nobody but me runs it) =)

One suggestion I could make could be to tinker around with Rhydon over Druddigon. Rhydon can similarly take on Electric- and Fire-types to an extent (obviously you have to be wary of HP Grass, and of course Rotom-C, though you can still play around it between Sceptile and Entei), while still maintaing solid overall bulk and the obvious Stealth Rock. What Rhydon would offer you is a solid switch-in to Aggron and Drifblim (and birds in general), being able to take all of their attacks moderately well (even consistently surviving a LO-boosted Aqua Tail from Aggron after SR, though Heavy Slam is better anyway while we're being honest), and while it has to stomach a burn from Drifblim it still stops it cold and is capable of pressuring it with its Rock Blast. If you really feel so inclined you could even run Toxic to cripple Alomomola !_! This change will make you somewhat more susceptible to specially based Water-types, though it can still be played around, and for the most part none of are without checks (Slowking can get trapped, Lanturn is getting worn down really fast, Omastar is uncommon and checked by Absol, etc.). Plus when Rotom-H drops ('cuz it totally will :<) Rhydon will be super cool !_! Though in all seriousness here's the set for reference:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 88 HP / 84 SDef / 84 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Megahorn / Toxic

Honestly, as much as Alomomola smashes your team ( :P ), I feel as though any change I make will open up more than the one thing it will fix .-. That being said, I hope my advice was helpful to you, and good luck in the future =)

edit: also luvdisc'd, can't believe i forgot to 'til now ;-;

Thank you very much col! Rhydon is an excellent idea, and I'm sure going to test it after Nidoqueen. It's funny because they all have a "Zillabot" design :P. One thing is for sure, and that's that Druddigon has to go though.

Your suggestion of using Toxic on Rhydon appeals to me. I know that Megahorn would be incredibly useful for TanKing, but I'd prefer the ability to cripple Alomomola, even if it's rarer. I think that the Speed EVs on Rhydon are to outspeed Tangrowth right? Anyway, I'm definetly also going to be running a couple more changes to the team: Toxic over Hidden Power Grass, as it leaves Entei as pure setup fodder, and Toxic also cripples Alomomola. If that's a success, I'll probably run Megahorn on Rhydon though. I'm also thinking about running an Adamant nature on Medicham, as outspeeding Aerodactyl doesnt seem that important to me anymore, especially if I run Rhydon. I'm also going to test Dread Plate on Absol, as runnign three Dark moves probably makes it worth it. Again, thanks for the rate! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)